SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

dl3000 Aug 31, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voice of reason (Post 4432404)
Move the airport, bitch.....moan....wah,wah,wah.. but where? I have a bright idea, put it out in the ocean. Great Idea! we are geniusus, why isnt everyone smart like us. Cause they are douce bags, yea, you are right. I think I will move to Barcelona. Last week you were moving to Chicago? Oh well, I am going thru the alphabet. I started at Atlanta, remember last month? Doesn't C come before B?

Why won't they expand the trolley, they are doucebags, yeah that's it! You hit it right on the head.

I like your picture, you are beautiful.
Thats not me dork, thats my fantasy squeeze.

Coooooooooooool. Played any new video games?

Yawn. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz snore...........

And yet you still read and participate. Seems rather hypocritical.

It is the opinion of most participants on this forum that San Diego should have better transportation infrastructure and public venues. If you disagree, mockery won't prove your point. Might I suggest a forum where people discuss how the Airport is more than adequate and convenient, libraries are superfluous (as are sports venues), and public transportation is a worthless investment in infrastructure.

Fusey Aug 31, 2009 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voice of reason (Post 4432404)
I think I will move to Barcelona.

No thanks. You sound whine like a Real Madrid fan.

tdavis Aug 31, 2009 11:54 PM

How old are you guys? Grow up, and if you want to engage in these tirades take it to personal messaging. The rest of us don't care. This adds nothing to the discussion of how to improve San Diego.

OneMetropolis Sep 1, 2009 1:59 AM

wasnt there talk to expand the trolley line from old town up into the USD area or something?

Fusey Sep 1, 2009 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMetropolis (Post 4434287)
wasnt there talk to expand the trolley line from old town up into the USD area or something?

I don't think there are any plans to go near USD, although UCSD currently is in the midcoast extension plan.

http://www.sandag.org/index.asp?proj...rojects.detail

Fusey Sep 1, 2009 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4430925)
The Trolley is a fantastic system for what it does, but it does lack coverage. It is also choked downtown.... only so many trains can go up and down C Street because it must compete with autos at street level; stop and go, stop and go... and so forth. If new lines come downtown... they cannot go across that street... which has the most regular/popular destinations.

If it wasn't so damn expensive I wish we could put the trolley underground on C Street and reopen it to auto traffic. Most of the street is a dump and smells like urine.

When I lived in Gothenburg they had a great tram system, although I doubt we'll ever see SD with decent coverage like this:

http://www.urbantransport-technology...othenburg1.jpg

kpexpress Sep 1, 2009 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusey (Post 4434357)
I don't think there are any plans to go near USD, although UCSD currently is in the midcoast extension plan.

Was hoping that the Northward expansion of the trolley would go through Mission/Pacific Beach area.

staplesla Sep 1, 2009 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMetropolis (Post 4434287)

Yeah, it's called the Mid-Coast extension.

Here's more info:

dl3000 Sep 1, 2009 5:22 AM

Heard mixed stories. The MTS site still has it as a study area but a friend of mine who lives in the area said that the locals of La Jolla voted it down. That sort of threw me but I'm sure it is still being tossed around as a possibility. Add in High Speed Rail and you got 6 tracks going down the Morena corridor. Quite busy.

bmfarley Sep 1, 2009 5:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusey (Post 4434366)
If it wasn't so damn expensive I wish we could put the trolley underground on C Street and reopen it to auto traffic. Most of the street is a dump and smells like urine.

I have been up and down C Street hundreds of times and at all hours. I am not familiar with the C Street you speak of.

On the other hand, the street could be improved a bunch. After the Trolley went in, all investment in the corridor seemed to come to a halt. Very little public investment by the City and little to zero from the private sector. When nothing happens... people sense that... and respond accordingly and by turning their backs. C Street then became a second class street.

Of late... the City and CCDC have done some minor things... small things like new trash bins, roving clean-up crews, and revamped some of the plants. The response was great... C Street now has a lot more people strolling along it... rather than across it. Yet, more could be done.

But, improving C Street does not mean putting the Trolley underground; however, improving the Trolley and correcting its limitations with capacity does mean that... putting it underground.

kpexpress Sep 1, 2009 6:49 AM

Came back to SD from a summer working in OH, glad to see 11th and B looking high in the sky, awesome new restaurants, Thomas Jefferson School of Law, and the Pedestrian Bridge. Great progress on the city, but a few disappointments: Federal Courthouse and cladding on Strata.

sdFan09 Sep 1, 2009 8:06 AM

I think that there are many things that SD needs and they will all cost money. With the budget problems in the city and state many people are talking about spending too much money. The problem is that there is a difference between spending money and investing money. Freeway expansion/restoration, trolley expansion, a new airport location and possibly a new arena and stadium would be investments, not spending. All of these things could bring extra money to the region. Money may go out, but more money will come in through these projects in various ways.

HurricaneHugo Sep 1, 2009 8:57 AM

Freeway expansion?

staplesla Sep 1, 2009 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl3000 (Post 4434664)
Heard mixed stories. The MTS site still has it as a study area but a friend of mine who lives in the area said that the locals of La Jolla voted it down. That sort of threw me but I'm sure it is still being tossed around as a possibility. Add in High Speed Rail and you got 6 tracks going down the Morena corridor. Quite busy.

La Jolla is a neighborhood, not a city. I live in La Jolla and we've never "voted" for rail. We vote in the city wide elections.

dl3000 Sep 1, 2009 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 4435326)
La Jolla is a neighborhood, not a city. I live in La Jolla and we've never "voted" for rail. We vote in the city wide elections.

Yeah I know that it's not independent. I always correct those who think otherwise. I had my doubts about what he said but I wondered if there was some public community meeting or some neighborhood canvasing or something where they determined where La Jolla stood on the issue that would make my friend's comments true. Guess not.

Fusey Sep 1, 2009 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4434665)
I have been up and down C Street hundreds of times and at all hours. I am not familiar with the C Street you speak of.

I don't know how you can miss the dozens of homeless pissing against the walls of buildings and doping up, but okay. The entire street is trashy. The classiest thing there is the 711 near America Plaza.

eburress Sep 1, 2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4434813)
Freeway expansion?

hahaha - yeah, people still love their cars and there are some freeways (e.g., Hwy 56) that could use an extra lane or two and some interchanges (e.g., I-5 at Genesee) that could benefit from becoming un-jacked! :)

HurricaneHugo Sep 2, 2009 5:11 AM

I know that, I just don't see how it's an investment lol.

bmfarley Sep 2, 2009 5:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusey (Post 4435662)
I don't know how you can miss the dozens of homeless pissing against the walls of buildings and doping up, but okay. The entire street is trashy. The classiest thing there is the 711 near America Plaza.

Those are no more on C Street than they are on Broadway or 5th Avenue. In fact, I'd argue that you'll count more on those than on C Street.

Crime is another observation... check out the SDPD crime maps... it's spread out all over downtown and no more on C Street than anywhere else.

What it comes down to, imo, is a bias.

bmfarley Sep 2, 2009 5:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4436442)
I know that, I just don't see how it's an investment lol.

I'd agree. In fact, I think freeways are a dis-investment. Freeways bring more cars... that's all they do. And the necessary response is to provide more costly parking and local roadway improvments to handle the additional traffic. More cars make walking less pedestrian friendly, and consequently does more harm to downtown areas than no freeway investment at all. Freeway widening encourages blight.