SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

elly63 Sep 17, 2020 4:25 AM

Ten Advantages (Facts) of OTA TV
ATSC 3.0 Next Gen TV - The Future of OTA Antenna TV
ATSC 3.0 Deployments: Where and When Will NextGen TV be Available?
Ten Ways to Improve OTA TV Reception from an Installer

thurmas Sep 17, 2020 12:28 PM

https://3downnation.com/2020/09/17/s...ngs-in-canada/

Strong start, fading finish for NFL Week 1 TV ratings in Canada

The NFL kicked off with a bang, but ended Week 1 with a whimper on Canadian television.

The rematch of the thrilling AFC Divisional round matchup from last season’s playoffs, which was part of Kansas City’s Super Bowl title run, produced a record for TSN. It set the mark for the most-watched Thursday Night Football season opener attracting an average audience of 903,800 viewers to CTV and TSN, an increase of 15 percent over last year. 4.5 million unique Canadian viewers tuned in to watch some part of the Chiefs’ 34-20 victory against the Houston Texans.

However, the other primetime games saw substantial ratings declines. The Los Angeles Rams opened $5-billion SoFi Stadium against Dallas to an average Canadian audience of 621,800. It was a tight game the whole way through with LA earning a 20-17 win over the Cowboys. New England blew out Pittsburgh 33-3 in the same window last year to an average viewership of 955,600. That makes Sunday’s number a 35 percent drop year-over-year.

The annual Monday Night Football doubleheader for Week 1 took a nosedive on TV sets. Pittsburgh handling the New York Giants 26-16, including rookie Canadian Chase Claypool’s dazzling NFL debut, brought in 386,200 viewers, falling 44 percent. Claypool has a marketing deal with DAZN Canada, a direct competitor for live NFL games in our home and native land. The Saints edged Houston 30-28 in a thriller in New Orleans in the same slot one year ago with 698,800 viewers.

For the final contest of Week 1, Tennessee kicked a last-minute field goal to escape Denver with a 16-14 win. 376,700 viewers watched the game, compared to 556,770 who tuned into the Raiders and Broncos last season. That marked a 32 percent drop from one year to the next.

Despite the downturns, there was one other area of increase: Tom Brady’s debut with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It was a 4:25 p.m. ET kick-off and matched the six-time Super Bowl champion against Drew Brees and the NFC South rival Saints. Coast to coast in Canada, New Orleans’ 34-23 victory had an average audience of 894,700, recording a 30 percent jump.

For what it’s worth, the top five ratings for any TV show in the United States were NFL games, the Bucs and Saints ranked No. 1 with 25.8 million viewers.

Week 1 Canadian NFL TV ratings:

Thursday
Houston at Kansas City: 903,800

Sunday
1 p.m. ET games: 798,200
4 p.m. ET games: 894,700

Sunday Night Football
Dallas at Los Angeles Rams: 621,800

Monday Night Football
Pittsburgh at New York Giants: 386,200
Tennessee at Denver: 376,700

Total Week 1 average: 663,566

JHikka Sep 17, 2020 3:50 PM

The 2021 IIHF U20s will be hosted in December 2020 in Edmonton under a bubble scenario. The 2022 edition will be hosted in Edmonton and Red Deer if fans are permitted in attendance.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/...s-taking-shape

JHikka Sep 17, 2020 4:22 PM

https://mediaprocanada.tv/en/news/CP...ries_worldwide

CPL’s Island Games Final to reach 135m households in 65 territories worldwide

Live coverage of the CPL Final, featuring Forge FC v HFX Wanderers FC, will air live on Saturday September 19th on Onesoccer, FS2, DirecTV Latin America and Tigo Sports at 2pm EDT / 18:00 GMT, with delayed coverage on 1Sports [India/Sri Lanka/Maldives/Nepal], StarTimes [Sub-Saharan Africa] and Premier Football [Philippines].

esquire Sep 17, 2020 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9044701)
https://mediaprocanada.tv/en/news/CP...ries_worldwide

CPL’s Island Games Final to reach 135m households in 65 territories worldwide

Live coverage of the CPL Final, featuring Forge FC v HFX Wanderers FC, will air live on Saturday September 19th on Onesoccer, FS2, DirecTV Latin America and Tigo Sports at 2pm EDT / 18:00 GMT, with delayed coverage on 1Sports [India/Sri Lanka/Maldives/Nepal], StarTimes [Sub-Saharan Africa] and Premier Football [Philippines].

Can someone shed a little light on this? Is there that much interest in the CPL, or is the world starved for soccer on TV regardless of where it comes from? I was under the impression that the CPL wouldn't be of all that much interest outside Canadian borders, it's pleasantly surprising to see the exposure it's getting.

Also, if it's doing this well, what are the chances that we see the CPL moving off the niche One Soccer platform and to a TV broadcaster?

JHikka Sep 17, 2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9044737)
Can someone shed a little light on this? Is there that much interest in the CPL, or is the world starved for soccer on TV regardless of where it comes from? I was under the impression that the CPL wouldn't be of all that much interest outside Canadian borders, it's pleasantly surprising to see the exposure it's getting.

It's MEDIAPRO actively selling the rights of the CPL to outside parties. Part of the upside of CPL/CSA partnering their media rights to a billion-dollar foreign enterprise is that they can in turn sell their product more quickly to interested international buyers, whereas a domestic carrier would have less incentive to do so as long as they're making revenues.

The CPL's ability to get on sets around the world so quickly is a good comparator to CFL 2.0 in that footy is already easily marketable around the world and the CPL already has international players to sell in those markets, however small and insignificant they may be. There's value in seeing HFX games in Trinidad & Tobago, as one example, if there's three or four players from there on HFX's roster (and their former national coach). Likewise, when CPL teams compete in CONCACAF, it makes sense for foreign viewers to want to be able to view that league and team before playing against them.

I doubt there's many watching in India or the Philippines but ten people watching CPL in India is better than zero people watching CPL in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9044737)
Also, if it's doing this well, what are the chances that we see the CPL moving off the niche One Soccer platform and to a TV broadcaster?

It'll be on OneSoccer for at least the next decade as its media partner, MEDIAPRO, was key in creating OS in the first place. Having OS means the CPL can control all of its visual and marketing properties in one place and be able to air documentaries, info programs, and just about anything else they wish on it.

Just this year they've been able to heavily bolster their lineup by adding a lot of former Score footy analysts onto their programming (Sharman, Forrest, Dunlop, etc.)

CPL games have been broadcast pretty frequently on CBC this year, with the final included with that on Saturday.

esquire Sep 18, 2020 12:21 PM

^ Thank you. Just having games on CBC is a huge plus for the CPL... I'm assuming One Soccer is a very niche product, so having games on a major broadcaster, even if it's only a game a week, gets the product in front of so many eyeballs.

I'm impressed that things appear to be working out well so far for the CPL.

VANRIDERFAN Sep 18, 2020 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9045685)
^ Thank you. Just having games on CBC is a huge plus for the CPL... I'm assuming One Soccer is a very niche product, so having games on a major broadcaster, even if it's only a game a week, gets the product in front of so many eyeballs.

I'm impressed that things appear to be working out well so far for the CPL.

I think their games have only been on the CBC Gem Streaming Services. But even that is a huge plus. If U-Sports had their ducks in a row they could show their sports on there as well.

JHikka Sep 18, 2020 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9045827)
I think their games have only been on the CBC Gem Streaming Services.

CPL has had games on both CBC TV national and CBC Gem.

Acajack Sep 18, 2020 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9045863)

I don't go on or have any of those special streaming services and have definitely seen CPL games on the main old-fashioned CBC network.

VANRIDERFAN Sep 18, 2020 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9045869)
I don't go on or have any of those special streaming services and have definitely seen CPL games on the main old-fashioned CBC network.

CBC Gem is free, you only have to pay for Newsworld.

esquire Sep 18, 2020 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9045869)

They promote CPL games regularly during NHL playoff games that are aired on CBC.

elly63 Sep 18, 2020 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9045863)

Yes, I saw a game on late night on the network. Funny how I used to read Variety way back in the day and in the slick Hollywood speak they used to called a TV network a web. ie CPL soccer on the web. Means a different thing now.

elly63 Sep 18, 2020 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9045896)
CBC Gem is free, you only have to pay for Newsworld.

I realize what they say on their webpage but I think that stream is still open (and that's all I'll say on the matter)

elly63 Sep 18, 2020 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9045827)
If U-Sports had their ducks in a row they could show their sports on there as well.

CBC Sports becomes digital broadcast home of Canada's 2020 U Sports champions
Watch championship finals for free across CBC Sports platforms and Gem
CBC Sports Feb 13, 2020

JHikka Sep 19, 2020 3:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9046445)
CBC Sports becomes digital broadcast home of Canada's 2020 U Sports champions
Watch championship finals for free across CBC Sports platforms and Gem
CBC Sports Feb 13, 2020

Shows just how cursed USPORTS/CBC is, given the fact that half of these were cancelled due to COVID.

Interesting that USPORTS would move its men's hockey championship away from Sportsnet. Either way, showing one weekend of championship finals doesn't really give the sport the exposure it needs over a longer period of time.

VANRIDERFAN Sep 19, 2020 4:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9046798)
Shows just how cursed USPORTS/CBC is, given the fact that half of these were cancelled due to COVID.

Interesting that USPORTS would move its men's hockey championship away from Sportsnet. Either way, showing one weekend of championship finals doesn't really give the sport the exposure it needs over a longer period of time.

USports need to show all their games on TV to get people interested in their players. I've watched USports Bowl games and have been impressed with the quality of play but this is the first time I've seen or heard of any of these players. Not a good strategy to get more financial support for their programs.

elly63 Sep 19, 2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9046798)

That's probably better than they would have got from Rogers, where Canadian sports go to die (excepting hockey...so far)

JHikka Sep 21, 2020 6:34 PM

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tv-n...outdraws-kawhi

The Raptors’ Game 7 loss to the Boston Celtics on Friday drew an average audience of 2.65 million on TSN and RDS, with at least 6.043 million tuning in for at least some of the game.

Overall, Raptors postseason viewership is up by 26% year-over-year in Canada on TSN/Sportsnet/RDS.

thurmas Sep 23, 2020 11:50 PM

NFL ratings this week in Canada

Week 2 Canadian NFL TV ratings:

Thursday
Cincinnati at Cleveland: 596,500

Sunday
1 p.m. ET games: 530,300
4 p.m. ET games: 537,200

Sunday Night Football
New England at Seattle: 864,500

Monday Night Football
New Orleans at Las Vegas: 400,500

Total Week 2 average: 585,500 (11 percent decrease from Week 1)

https://3downnation.com/2020/09/23/l...-tv-in-week-2/