SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

Denscity Jul 23, 2017 1:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7872739)
Do you know if they are they opening up the upper deck this year or is it still the lower deck? Everyone is saying it was a great game, I missed it, so I'm heading over to TSN Games on Demand to catch it.

TSN Games on Demand Lions vs Bombers

There's seems to be two lower bowl configurations. I know with the Whitecaps there is a 21k and then if demand is there they will have 27k like for the Portland match tomorrow.
Lions may just have the 27k config.

elly63 Jul 25, 2017 1:59 AM

Argos attendance 15,801. Some interesting observations from people at the game. The throwback pricing seats apparently sold very well, the section was full. Some were saying they couldn't refuse the deal at those prices suggesting that the apathy, and irrelevance excuses may not actually be true. The Argos don't have to be relevant to six million people in the GTA, just 30,000.

It seems like the elephant in the room has been confronted and come out of the closet (mixed metaphor) and now the hard work to rebuild the franchise piece by piece has begun. The vibe I get is not a small crowd (which it is) and a dying team, the vibe I'm getting is the beginning of a new era.

I just heard a roar of the crowd after an Argo made an interception, that wasn't canned crowd noise, that was organic. Crowd is young and diverse, hopefully the first visible step to recovery.

elly63 Jul 25, 2017 2:27 AM

Argos win on last play of game, people go home happy.

lrt's friend Jul 25, 2017 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7874679)
Argos win on last play of game, people go home happy.

Based on some of the calls, it seems that they want the Argos to win. It was like this in the first Argo RedBlacks game as well.

elly63 Jul 25, 2017 2:59 AM

Remember when the CFL was the second highest rated sport behind hockey before the Blue Jays had their big run. Well it looks like the Jays are finally coming back down to earth.

WEDNESDAY July 19
Blue Jays at Red Sox SN 715k
Alouettes at Redblacks TSN 460k (not including RDS)
Whitecaps at LA TSN 90k
TFC at New York TSN 75k

THURSDAY July 20
Blue Jays at Red Sox SN 650k
Eskimos at Tiger-Cats TSN 520k

FRIDAY July 21
Blue Bombers at Lions TSN 650k
Blue Jays at Indians SN 570k

SATURDAY July 22
Roughriders at Stampeders TSN 690k
Blue Jays at Indians SN 520k
Colorado at TFC TSN 40k

SUNDAY July 23
Portland at Whitecaps TSN 65k

I am reposting these numbers, can't confirm the source yet.

mistercorporate Jul 25, 2017 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7874707)
Remember when the CFL was the second highest rated sport behind hockey before the Blue Jays had their big run. Well it looks like the Jays are finally coming back down to earth.

So you're comparing the viewership of one team vs a whole league? The Jays play a gazillion games a season. No CFL team comes close to their totals, you know that. I also thought you wanted to avoid the whole league vs league nonsense? People like myself who are soccer fans have refrained from posting one sided comments about the Argos even when they were going through their worst moments, whether through photos or attendance stats, the only person on this thread continuously beating a dead horse is you. Most of us have moved on from the league vs league crap, maybe it's time for you to move on too.

snowmobile Jul 25, 2017 4:11 AM

If those numbers are true, the jays have lost almost half their viewership in 4 months of ball. It took the CFL 5 years to drop from a mill per game to now around 550,000.

lrt's friend Jul 25, 2017 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowmobile (Post 7874767)
If those numbers are true, the jays have lost almost half their viewership in 4 months of ball. It took the CFL 5 years to drop from a mill per game to now around 550,000.

The Blue Jays bandwagon is huge. Once the team starts losing, a lot bail out pretty quickly. It turns again from Canada's team to Toronto's team.

TorontoDrew Jul 25, 2017 4:13 PM

LOL at comparing the entire CFL numbers to the Jay's numbers. And what about when Hockey starts up in 2 months, say goodbye to CFL numbers to our NHL teams. The Jays still out perform most MLB teams in numbers even when they are in a slump.

esquire Jul 25, 2017 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 7875183)
LOL at comparing the entire CFL numbers to the Jay's numbers.

:???:

I think you misunderstood something. If you go by elly's numbers, individual CFL games are roughly on par with Blue Jays games in terms of viewership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7874707)
WEDNESDAY July 19
Blue Jays at Red Sox SN 715k
Alouettes at Redblacks TSN 460k (not including RDS)
Whitecaps at LA TSN 90k
TFC at New York TSN 75k

THURSDAY July 20
Blue Jays at Red Sox SN 650k
Eskimos at Tiger-Cats TSN 520k

FRIDAY July 21
Blue Bombers at Lions TSN 650k

SATURDAY July 22
Roughriders at Stampeders TSN 690k
Blue Jays at Indians SN 520k
Colorado at TFC TSN 40k

SUNDAY July 23
Portland at Whitecaps TSN 65k

I am reposting these numbers, can't confirm the source yet.

mistercorporate Jul 25, 2017 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7875201)

I think you misunderstood something. If you go by elly's numbers, individual CFL games are roughly on par with Blue Jays games in terms of viewership.

Yet in relation to the statements that were made, individual CFL teams play way fewer games per year than the Jays, which is why the comparison wasn't like for like. Anyway, could we all put an end to this stuff, and that includes buddy over there with the unnecessary hockey trolling.

FrankieFlowerpot Jul 25, 2017 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7875201)

Well - there's also the fact that the Jays play 162 times vs 18 times for a CFL team

lrt's friend Jul 25, 2017 5:22 PM

Quote:

LOL at comparing the entire CFL numbers to the Jay's numbers. And what about when Hockey starts up in 2 months, say goodbye to CFL numbers to our NHL teams. The Jays still out perform most MLB teams in numbers even when they are in a slump.

I don't think hockey greatly impacts CFL viewership, after all, it is early season games, which can be ho-hum.

Mind you Toronto is a different city and they are yet again planning the parade down Yonge Street now that the 'second coming' has arrived on the Leafs.

lrt's friend Jul 25, 2017 5:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot (Post 7875229)
Well - there's also the fact that the Jays play 162 times vs 18 times for a CFL team

162 reasons to change to another channel.

snowmobile Jul 25, 2017 5:33 PM

I don't understand why its wrong to compare CFL numbers against Jays. They play the same number of games in a weekend so baseball fans and football fans have equal opportunity to watch an event. Looks like Jays are no longer must see TV. July 7th week on numeris had blue jays game average just over 600k so I believe these latest numbers.

WhipperSnapper Jul 25, 2017 5:38 PM

Umm... the Jays are on every single day. You can afford to miss a game on a precious weekend.

cjones2451 Jul 25, 2017 5:53 PM

Quote:

If you look at history, CFL viewership does not go down when the NHL starts up, most people are done with summer and watch more TV.

TorontoDrew Jul 25, 2017 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot (Post 7875229)

Agreed,162 games vs only 18, one can't expect the numbers to be high each game if a team is not performing.

As for "lrt's friend" comment 162 reasons to change a channel. MLB is not for everybody but it has far more fans then the CFL does in Toronto.

elly63 Jul 25, 2017 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 7874750)
So you're comparing the viewership of one team vs a whole league? The Jays play a gazillion games a season. No CFL team comes close to their totals, you know that. I also thought you wanted to avoid the whole league vs league nonsense? People like myself who are soccer fans have refrained from posting one sided comments about the Argos even when they were going through their worst moments, whether through photos or attendance stats, the only person on this thread continuously beating a dead horse is you. Most of us have moved on from the league vs league crap, maybe it's time for you to move on too.

Give me a break, I'm just giving numbers and since when have the goalposts moved to include totals. Even if I intended to (and didn't) all these show are what people watched on a given night.

What I find interesting is how the GTA controls the numbers, the Jays fall and the numbers plummet.

Toronto makes the playoffs and basketball ratings skyrocket from what was far less than CFL numbers in the regular season.

I thought that was what this thread was about, numbers.

elly63 Jul 25, 2017 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowmobile (Post 7874767)

I don't think they were ever that high for a regular season average. Maybe 800k, I can't recall now, without looking it up. Last year's average was 630k, numbers were down a bit so far but the product has been so good this year they are rebounding (past three weeks are up) in spite of the cord cutting trends.