SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Offshore1 May 8, 2016 3:38 PM

I was driving by the new "high end strip mall" on Kenmount Rd. a couple of days ago and saw some signs in the unit closest to Kelsey's restaurant. I can't remember the name on the signs and haven't had a chance to look since. Anyone have any idea who's moving in? ( If that's the case...)

Arrakis May 9, 2016 3:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offshore1 (Post 7434935)
I was driving by the new "high end strip mall" on Kenmount Rd. a couple of days ago and saw some signs in the unit closest to Kelsey's restaurant. I can't remember the name on the signs and haven't had a chance to look since. Anyone have any idea who's moving in? ( If that's the case...)

It's a store called Madison Makenzie. They are a home decor store currently on
Topsail Road in Mount Pearl. Not sure if they are opening a third location or just moving into a new location. Here is a link to their site.
http://madisonmackenziehome.com

nando Jun 10, 2016 12:30 PM

Not sure where this should go, but I understand that the Majestic on the corner of new gower and duckworth will be opening its doors again soon. Still run by the church which bought it i believe, but will be a rentable venue for concerts, events, etc.

J_Murphy Jun 10, 2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nando (Post 7469982)
Not sure where this should go, but I understand that the Majestic on the corner of new gower and duckworth will be opening its doors again soon. Still run by the church which bought it i believe, but will be a rentable venue for concerts, events, etc.

Awesome...I used to love that place for concerts back in the day.

Marty_Mcfly Jun 10, 2016 1:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7469992)
Awesome...I used to love that place for concerts back in the day.

Same. Went there for a Flogging Molly show about 5 years ago and it was awesome there.

Arrakis Jun 13, 2016 6:13 PM

Here is a pic of the new Leon's store on Elizabeth Avenue in the former Canadian Tire location. Piatto Restaurant is opened now too I think in what use to be the garden centre at CT on the left. Noticed the other day too that they are actually building onto the building where the auto shop use to be and very large windows have been installed on the at corner. Anyone hear of what might be going in there?

http://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...60284491_o.jpg

wmemeadusjr Jun 15, 2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7472918)
Here is a pic of the new Leon's store on Elizabeth Avenue in the former Canadian Tire location. Piatto Restaurant is opened now too I think in what use to be the garden centre at CT on the left. Noticed the other day too that they are actually building onto the building where the auto shop use to be and very large windows have been installed on the at corner. Anyone hear of what might be going in there?

http://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...60284491_o.jpg

Dollarama is going on the end of the building that contained the auto centre.

elizabethf1985 Jun 22, 2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 7474774)
Dollarama is going on the end of the building that contained the auto centre.

Does anyone know if there's going to be something else in the space between Piatto and Leon's on Elizabeth Ave?

Arrakis Jun 26, 2016 1:45 PM

The Shoppes At Galway now have a devlopment map of their proposed shopping park posted on their website. Doesn't looking much different from the other big box parks around metro.

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/up...-APR-06-16.pdf

ec1983 Jun 28, 2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7486479)
The Shoppes At Galway now have a devlopment map of their proposed shopping park posted on their website. Doesn't looking much different from the other big box parks around metro.

Why does the City of St. John's require so much parking. And is this the best the supposed 'world class' planners could come up with.

Has anyone visited Dartmouth Crossing in Nova Scotia? That is a very nice outdoor shopping set-up, kind of a fake old town style street. It promotes parking and walking from store to store as opposed to getting back in the car and driving to the next location like this development will do.

NewfBC Jun 29, 2016 5:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ec1983 (Post 7488037)
Why does the City of St. John's require so much parking. And is this the best the supposed 'world class' planners could come up with.

Has anyone visited Dartmouth Crossing in Nova Scotia? That is a very nice outdoor shopping set-up, kind of a fake old town style street. It promotes parking and walking from store to store as opposed to getting back in the car and driving to the next location like this development will do.

Dartmouth Crossing looks pretty similar to me...

http://www.dartmouthcrossing.com/ima...ory_214_VF.jpg

Ron.

jthetzel Jun 29, 2016 10:45 AM

Here's the Oakbrook Center in the Chicago 'burbs. It's basically an outdoor mall. It's well landscaped and pleasant to walk through.

http://googledrive.com/host/0B2MVLRT...center_map.png

Chicagoland's scale, of course, dwarfs Dannyland. Maybe a more fair comparison would be Main Street at Exton, in my hometown of Exton, Pennsylvania.

http://googledrive.com/host/0B2MVLRT...reet_exton.png

It's a relatively pleasant suburban experience to, after the Sunday youth soccer game, drive over to the Town Center, get a shiny new pair of sneakers from some anchor box, and then grab a coffee for Dad, some ice cream for the kids, and sit outside by some landscaped greenspace complete with real trees, all without having to jump back into the SUV.

Sox Jun 29, 2016 11:29 AM

It will never happen, but the smartest thing they could EVER do with this area is to open a PREMIUM OUTLET MALL, like the ones in Florida ! Do you know how many NL'ers travel exclusively to shop at OUTLET MALLS ? It would be an absolute goldmine if one opened here, plus it would also be a major tourist attraction for the entire East Coast of Canada.

If they opened outlet shops like Nike, Columbia, Adidas, Puma , Coach etc etc etc (all shops that aren't currently here already ) it would allow NL'ers for once , the ability to stay here and shop, Instead of going to Toronto or Florida -- this would be the biggest thing to hit St. John's in last 50 years ! Add in a couple major key retailers like an IKEA , a new Cineplex Theatre, and a couple of New restaurant franchises ---and you have an instant success on your hands. Also , add a major hotel chain on site, and it would be one of the busiest hotels on the Island. To me , this is a NO- Brainer.

But, Like I said, I cannot see them ever being smart enough to put such a luxury here, and I guarantee all Dannyland is ever going to be is just another Kelsey drive/Stavanger Drive copy . All the same ole, same ole shops.

The closest Premium outlet Mall to St. John's is in Halton Hills, Ontario ( Just outside Missassauga ) --- Put one here, and spin-off benefits to St.John's/Mount Pearl would be huge !

Just my 2 cents

wmemeadusjr Jun 29, 2016 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 7489270)
It will never happen, but the smartest thing they could EVER do with this area is to open a PREMIUM OUTLET MALL, like the ones in Florida ! Do you know how many NL'ers travel exclusively to shop at OUTLET MALLS ? It would be an absolute goldmine if one opened here, plus it would also be a major tourist attraction for the entire East Coast of Canada.

If they opened outlet shops like Nike, Columbia, Adidas, Puma , Coach etc etc etc (all shops that aren't currently here already ) it would allow NL'ers for once , the ability to stay here and shop, Instead of going to Toronto or Florida -- this would be the biggest thing to hit St. John's in last 50 years ! Add in a couple major key retailers like an IKEA , a new Cineplex Theatre, and a couple of New restaurant franchises ---and you have an instant success on your hands. Also , add a major hotel chain on site, and it would be one of the busiest hotels on the Island. To me , this is a NO- Brainer.

But, Like I said, I cannot see them ever being smart enough to put such a luxury here, and I guarantee all Dannyland is ever going to be is just another Kelsey drive/Stavanger Drive copy . All the same ole, same ole shops.

The closest Premium outlet Mall to St. John's is in Halton Hills, Ontario ( Just outside Missassauga ) --- Put one here, and spin-off benefits to St.John's/Mount Pearl would be huge !

Just my 2 cents

I agree with your 2 cents on both your points -that it will never happen. -and that it would be a great idea. I hope Danny proves us wrong and creates something unique. I'm sure it will be more of the same. If so, I can't see myself going in there very often. I'll also need a supply of Gravol after circling three (possibly 4) roundabouts to get in there.

statbass Jun 30, 2016 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewfBC (Post 7489196)
Dartmouth Crossing looks pretty similar to me...

Ron.

Agreed. I've been to Dartmouth Crossing a few times. Although it's definitely designed much better than Stavanger Dr. it's still not the most walker-friendly box store area around. Pretty much run-of-the-mill. Nice stores there...

statbass Jun 30, 2016 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7486479)

Anyone know what stores are slated to go here? I heard another Costco, IKEA, Walmart with a full grocery store, and another Cineplex. I'm kidding of course....:P

I know, that was really evil of me.

Marty_Mcfly Jun 30, 2016 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 7490856)
Anyone know what stores are slated to go here? I heard another Costco, IKEA, Walmart with a full grocery store, and another Cineplex. I'm kidding of course....:P

I know, that was really evil of me.

Based on building size we can rule out Costco, none of the buildings are big enough. Wal Mart and Cineplex could be options, though Cineplex cancelling the Hebron Way theatre may not bode well for a new west end location.

wardo44 Jun 30, 2016 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 7490905)
Based on building size we can rule out Costco, none of the buildings are big enough. Wal Mart and Cineplex could be options, though Cineplex cancelling the Hebron Way theatre may not bode well for a new west end location.

I disagree & think that Cineplex is a much better fit out here than at Hebron Way. They need to do something (close / relocate) with Mount Pearl Square & this highway location will better serve folks & families coming in from the growing communities past the by-pass.

NewfBC Jul 1, 2016 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 7490905)

Have you been inside a modern new Walmart Supercentre? They're about 200-thousand sq ft. Larger than most Costco locations.

The 'Dannyland' map that's posted is a 'concept' map. The buildings have not been built and I'm sure there will be many adjustments before they begin.

Ron.

Arrakis Jul 23, 2016 8:15 PM

Drove by Ropewalk Lane today and noticed some major work being done on the old former Dominion store there. Also noticed that an approval was granted in the City of St John's commercial proposals for 50 Ropewalk Lane which is the Dominion location. It did not specify though what was going there. Anybody hear of what it might be?

Offshore1 Jul 24, 2016 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7511020)
Drove by Ropewalk Lane today and noticed some major work being done on the old former Dominion store there. Also noticed that an approval was granted in the City of St John's commercial proposals for 50 Ropewalk Lane which is the Dominion location. It did not specify though what was going there. Anybody hear of what it might be?

Good to hear of some activity at that vacant site. Hopefully there's something in the works for the Newfoundland Dr. location too.
There are a few positive things going on despite our current economy. This recent story about business on Elizabeth Ave highlights some of them. With a few apartment buildings this area could be similar to Quinpool Road in Halifax - maybe.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...-new-1.3690813

wmemeadusjr Jul 25, 2016 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7511020)

I heard Dollarama, but that was over a year ago.

Arrakis Jul 26, 2016 5:01 AM

That would be a good choice for that space. The demographic for Dollarama in that area is perfect.

Lord knows they don't need any more eateries on Ropwalk Lane where there are at least 8 places (maybe more) where you can buy lunch or have a sit down meal. Who knew? Lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 7512153)
I heard Dollarama, but that was over a year ago.

wmemeadusjr Jul 26, 2016 10:47 PM

If not Dollarama, then maybe Shoppers Drug Mart. I heard they were looking for a more modern replacement for the Freshwater@Empire location, which is not too far away from Ropewalk Lane. Couple this with the fact that Loblaws had the lease on the building, and that Loblaws now own Shoppers Drug Mart, this might be a viable option. The building is actually big enough to house both businesses, but the configuration of it with the parking lot would not work in my opinion.

J_Murphy Jul 27, 2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 7513566)
If not Dollarama, then maybe Shoppers Drug Mart. I heard they were looking for a more modern replacement for the Freshwater@Empire location, which is not too far away from Ropewalk Lane. Couple this with the fact that Loblaws had the lease on the building, and that Loblaws now own Shoppers Drug Mart, this might be a viable option. The building is actually big enough to house both businesses, but the configuration of it with the parking lot would not work in my opinion.

I think that Shoppers has plans to replace the Empire location at the same site. I believe they recently purchased two properties on Freshwater, or already owned them. Netherworld moved last year, I'm guessing because Shoppers wanted to demolish it to make room for a new store. There was a drill rig on site last year doing some geotechnical/environmental work.

Also, there is a shoppers on Lemarchant which is less than 1 km from Ropewalk lane.

Arrakis Jul 28, 2016 3:40 AM

Is anyone else surprised that Shoppers Drugmart does not have a location in the Kenmount Road area or that part of town? Especially with Kenmount Terrace getting larger and larger. I am surprised they haven't built one on Kesley Drive. The only drug store servicing that entire part of town is the tiny Lawtons in the mall.

Has anyone heard anything about the future of Woodgate Plaza now that 90% of the tennants have vacated. Leon's, Dooleys, Quiznos, TD Bank are all gone now?
All I heard was that the Avalon Mall who owns the property are planning on reconfiguring it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7513976)
I think that Shoppers has plans to replace the Empire location at the same site. I believe they recently purchased two properties on Freshwater, or already owned them. Netherworld moved last year, I'm guessing because Shoppers wanted to demolish it to make room for a new store. There was a drill rig on site last year doing some geotechnical/environmental work.

Also, there is a shoppers on Lemarchant which is less than 1 km from Ropewalk lane.

J_Murphy Jul 28, 2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7514902)
Is anyone else surprised that Shoppers Drugmart does not have a location in the Kenmount Road area or that part of town? Especially with Kenmount Terrace getting larger and larger. I am surprised they haven't built one on Kesley Drive. The only drug store servicing that entire part of town is the tiny Lawtons in the mall.

Has anyone heard anything about the future of Woodgate Plaza now that 90% of the tennants have vacated. Leon's, Dooleys, Quiznos, TD Bank are all gone now?
All I heard was that the Avalon Mall who owns the property are planning on reconfiguring it.

Yeah, it is strange....Sobeys and Wal-Mart both have pharmacies and sell most things that you could buy in a Shoppers/Lawtons though.

J_Murphy Jul 29, 2016 10:52 AM

Looks like they are prepping for a building in front of Golf Town on the corner of Aberdeen and White Rose. Anyone know what the plan is for here?

Horsell Jul 29, 2016 11:49 AM

I noticed that last week. I seem to recall seeing a plot plan a few years ago that had that area labelled as a restaurant but I haven't seen or heard anything in any council documents recently that would confirm this. I also noticed that the fence around the undeveloped area to the west of the GolfTown strip has been removed. I guess nothing is going to be added there anytime soon even though the developer went to council last year to look for concessions on required parking.

AnUrbanLife Jul 29, 2016 2:11 PM

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had info on the Yellowbelly outlet location on the corner of Prescott and Bond?? There are renovations going on inside but I'm sure to what end.

Thanks.

J_Murphy Jul 29, 2016 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife (Post 7516241)
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had info on the Yellowbelly outlet location on the corner of Prescott and Bond?? There are renovations going on inside but I'm sure to what end.

Thanks.

Been like that for years and I don't even think they know. I've asked YellowBelly a couple of times and either didn't receive an answer or they just say they don't know. It will be much more convenient for returning bottles if it ever happens.

AnUrbanLife Jul 29, 2016 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7516251)
Been like that for years and I don't even think they know. I've asked YellowBelly a couple of times and either didn't receive an answer or they just say they don't know. It will be much more convenient for returning bottles if it ever happens.

Ok thanks. I've just noticed semi daily work ongoing inside and had no idea why. Is it still owned by Yellowbelly? Or has someone else bought it?
Anyone know?

Marty_Mcfly Jul 30, 2016 1:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife (Post 7516241)
Hey all,

Thanks.

I believe it was a shop to buy malts and return bottles and possibly buy product which never got off the ground. I'm surprised they're still holding on to that location to be quite honest.

EDIT: if there's work happening there then it's a high possibility that YB sold the space to someone else.

wmemeadusjr Jul 30, 2016 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7514902)

I was always surprised by this as well. A good spot for Shoppers, in my opinion would be near Avalon Ford. Eventually, the Wyatt/Mount Carson intersection is to be made into a 4-way with a small commercial area leading into more residential. A few businesses in this spot would greatly benefit from Kenmount Terrace, Elisabeth Park, and the north part of Mount Pearl.

As for Woodgate, I've heard all kinds of rumors, from tearing it down and building smaller stores, a hotel, linking it with the mall....you name it. But as I said, all rumors, nothing in print...just here say. I can assume the plans for this will be part of the "Big Proposal" that the owners of the Avalon mall will be coming to city council with. The proposal is supposed to be a plan for the entire area and is to include the realignment of the mall intersection with Polina Road. The city have been after the mall for years to do this. Of course, if the mall goes ahead with this, they will want something in return such as rezoning to allow a parking lot full of free standing structures such as restaurants.

rthomasd Jul 31, 2016 12:32 AM

At the last council meeting there was some off-the-cuff talk that the Mall entrance realignment work was to start any day now with completion early Fall.

Horsell Jul 31, 2016 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 7517581)
At the last council meeting there was some off-the-cuff talk that the Mall entrance realignment work was to start any day now with completion early Fall.

There was a tender awarded for "engineering" the intersection this week. I have my doubts that any real work will start anytime soon...but one can always hope.

J_Murphy Aug 9, 2016 12:15 PM

I noticed in the City economic update that Dollarama is approved for Elizabeth Ave next to Leons.

Arrakis Aug 9, 2016 1:43 PM

Yeah I heard about that some time ago just as a rumour. Dollarama seems to be on a growth spurt. I also heard (rumour) that they are gonna be opening in the old Dominion location on Ropewalk Lane. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7525624)
I noticed in the City economic update that Dollarama is approved for Elizabeth Ave next to Leons.

jeddy1989 Aug 9, 2016 3:55 PM

There's a new rumour a la H&M.
Word on the street is that Fog city is packing up and H&M will be taking their place. Seems small at first glance but when you consider that they could take the Fog City space as well as the adjoining former glow mini golf space, it's large enough.

Anyone know anything about this? ... sad that we have Victoria Secret, Sephora, Lulu Lemon and others before a frigging H&M lol.

J_Murphy Aug 9, 2016 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 7525820)
There's a new rumour a la H&M.
Word on the street is that Fog city is packing up and H&M will be taking their place. Seems small at first glance but when you consider that they could take the Fog City space as well as the adjoining former glow mini golf space, it's large enough.

Anyone know anything about this? ... sad that we have Victoria Secret, Sephora, Lulu Lemon and others before a frigging H&M lol.

Strange you say this as I heard last week about H&M coming to St. John's. Just dismissed it as it has now been rumored for years. I heard nothing about location though.

Offshore1 Aug 9, 2016 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7525898)
Strange you say this as I heard last week about H&M coming to St. John's. Just dismissed it as it has now been rumored for years. I heard nothing about location though.

Not familiar with H&M, but had quick look at their their web page and it looks like the GAP - yawn.
I'll miss Fog City's George Street Mess burger - best in town as far as I'm concerned.

Engibeer Aug 10, 2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offshore1 (Post 7526083)
Not familiar with H&M, but had quick look at their their web page and it looks like the GAP - yawn.
I'll miss Fog City's George Street Mess burger - best in town as far as I'm concerned.

I'd say H&M vs. The GAP is similar to The Bay vs. Sears. It's definitely a step up. Something St. John's is somehow missing.

J_Murphy Aug 10, 2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

In my opinion, I find H&M is much better than Gap. Variety of styles, quality of the clothes and price are all better.

Arrakis Aug 11, 2016 3:46 AM

Hey, just noticed that Marshalls (Winners sister store) is looking for various store managers for St.john's on wowjobs.com website. Anyone know where they plan on opening? East end? West end?

JCE Aug 11, 2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7527430)
Hey, just noticed that Marshalls (Winners sister store) is looking for various store managers for St.john's on wowjobs.com website. Anyone know where they plan on opening? East end? West end?

In the old Future Shop location on Stavanger.

jeddy1989 Aug 11, 2016 1:20 PM

Quote:

What website? So you mean GAP is moving from downstairs to upstairs?

jeddy1989 Aug 11, 2016 1:26 PM

If GAP is relocating to where Fog City is now, it could be downsizing. I was talking to a friend that works in a nearby store and she told me that the old glow golf space is now storage units for the stores in the mall, so that's not likely going to be a part of a new store.

However if GAP relocates, the current store size is not that small and they have GAP court right next to it that in theory a H&M could expand into a bit.

Offshore1 Aug 11, 2016 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 7527607)
If GAP is relocating to where Fog City is now, it could be downsizing. I was talking to a friend that works in a nearby store and she told me that the old glow golf space is now storage units for the stores in the mall, so that's not likely going to be a part of a new store.

However if GAP relocates, the current store size is not that small and they have GAP court right next to it that in theory a H&M could expand into a bit.

Sorry if I created some confusion. My reference to the GAP was in reply to your Aug 9th post ( quoted by J Murphy ) which indicated that a H&M store is moving to where Fog City is located.
As far as I know there is nothing happening with the GAP.
I was just commenting that I thought H&M's clothing - as evidenced by their website - looked like the GAP's. I'm not a fashionista. :)

jeddy1989 Aug 11, 2016 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offshore1 (Post 7527688)
Sorry if I created some confusion. My reference to the GAP was in reply to your Aug 9th post ( quoted by J Murphy ) which indicated that a H&M store is moving to where Fog City is located.
As far as I know there is nothing happening with the GAP.
I was just commenting that I thought H&M's clothing - as evidenced by their website - looked like the GAP's. I'm not a fashionista. :)

oh! got ya!
Yeah and looking at it further, neither space is large enough. The average H&M store is 20,000 to 25,000 square feet.

J_Murphy Aug 11, 2016 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 7527899)
oh! got ya!
Yeah and looking at it further, neither space is large enough. The average H&M store is 20,000 to 25,000 square feet.

Not sure if they have many stand-alone stores, but every H&M I've ever been to have been in malls.