SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

N830MH Nov 20, 2014 3:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onn (Post 6813657)
Under Construction! :D

Yes! Just about time! Let get going!!!

NYguy Nov 20, 2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 6813414)
I've stated this before on this thread, this building has been u/c per SSP standards, for a few months now. I am still mystified by mods haven't moved this building to u/c.

As always, 1 picture is worth a thousand words.

Crawford Nov 20, 2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6814604)
As always, 1 picture is worth a thousand words.

To be fair, the problem has been the site is arranged such that passerbys can't really see what's going on. You can't really get a good look unless you're looking down, from an adjacent building.

Most developments are much easier for gauging progress.

NYguy Nov 20, 2014 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 6814632)
To be fair, the problem has been the site is arranged such that passerbys can't really see what's going on. You can't really get a good look unless you're looking down, from an adjacent building.

Most developments are much easier for gauging progress.

I know that, but we do need photos to confirm things. Regardless, there's been activity on site for a while now, whatever section of the forum this thread was in at any given time had no bearing on that, and still doesn't. Of course, there are people who may not have known, but they probably wouldn't click on the thread anyway.

drumz0rz Nov 20, 2014 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 (Post 5309256)
What also makes NY particularly attractive to foreign investors is the weak dollar.

Weak dollar eh? Huh....

http://i.imgur.com/LBk3067.png
http://i.imgur.com/obuLSq3.png
http://i.imgur.com/8oAEwVU.png

Man, that dollar is certainly looking weak! :koko:

Crawford Nov 20, 2014 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drumz0rz (Post 6814915)
Weak dollar eh? Huh....

The dollar, while strengthening, is certainly historically weak.

In any case, I doubt the relative strength of the dollar has anything to do with the relative strength of the Manhattan condo market.

Pete8680 Nov 20, 2014 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploppalopp (Post 6813477)
So does that mean that they are still going to build it one stupid foot shorter than one wtc? I sure hope not.

Back in the 80's The CitySpire Center was permitted 4 up to 800 feet. Some how they "accidently" toped it out at 814 feet making it 1 foot taller then Chase Manhattan Plaza & good 4 seventh tallest in NYC at the time. There "fine" was building some dance studio for the city's poor or something like that.

So maybe this baby will "accidently" grow 2 feet!:)

Islander Nov 20, 2014 11:42 PM

Maybe a daredevil will climb it and weld an old pogo stick to the top of the spire. Has to happen sooner or later.

NYguy Nov 21, 2014 2:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islander (Post 6815541)
Maybe a daredevil will climb it and weld an old pogo stick to the top of the spire. Has to happen sooner or later.

It's almost guaranteed to happen. This tower will be too visible, and the height of the spire (and proximity to the FT height) will make it more talked about than 432 Park Avenue. The "hysteria" over the tall building in Manhattan hasn't really begun yet.

Ploppalopp Nov 21, 2014 2:43 AM

If they do add a few feet to the spire, will there be some sort of penalty? Also, if they want to add a few more floors, would they have to go through the whole approval process again or would it be a shorter process?
Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6815698)
It's almost guaranteed to happen. This tower will be too visible, and the height of the spire (and proximity to the FT height) will make it more talked about than 432 Park Avenue. The "hysteria" over the tall building in Manhattan hasn't really begun yet.

Crawford Nov 21, 2014 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploppalopp (Post 6815748)
If they do add a few feet to the spire, will there be some sort of penalty? Also, if they want to add a few more floors, would they have to go through the whole approval process again or would it be a shorter process?

There are no height limits on this site, and any height increase would be as-of-right. They would just need to file an amended building permit.

Ploppalopp Nov 21, 2014 3:18 AM

So this building could theoretically be over 2000 feet without much trouble with permitting? Do you guys see this as a possibility at all, or are we looking at a tower about the current height?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 6815770)
There are no height limits on this site, and any height increase would be as-of-right. They would just need to file an amended building permit.

Zapatan Nov 21, 2014 4:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploppalopp (Post 6815774)
So this building could theoretically be over 2000 feet without much trouble with permitting? Do you guys see this as a possibility at all, or are we looking at a tower about the current height?

It would be nice for them to break the annoying 1776 foot barrier but I don't see why they would go all the way to 2000 feet.

I bet the 1775' figure will stay the same and the roof will end up in the 1500' range since apparently there was an increase.

Crawford Nov 21, 2014 5:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploppalopp (Post 6815774)

This building could theoretically be 1 inch tall, or 2,000 ft. tall. Again, it's as of right.

But we already have building permits, so why would we assume anything beyond the building permits? I believe 1490-1500 to roof and 1775 to tip. That's almost certainly the outcome, because that's what the filings indicate.

Ploppalopp Nov 21, 2014 5:24 AM

I don't know about that....I mean, don't you think that they might just say that it's going to be a foot shorter than one wtc so nobody starts complaining, and when it is under construction, they make taller? I guess you don't think that is too likely, but that's my thinking.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 6815856)
This building could theoretically be 1 inch tall, or 2,000 ft. tall. Again, it's as of right.

But we already have building permits, so why would we assume anything beyond the building permits? I believe 1490-1500 to roof and 1775 to tip. That's almost certainly the outcome, because that's what the filings indicate.

NYguy Nov 21, 2014 7:17 AM

Don't expect a height change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 6775051)
I toured AS+GG's Chicago office on Saturday and they were much more elusive with this project than they were last year. No models or drawings anywhere to be found. I did speak to an architect who told us to look for an official rendering release early first quarter, 2015. When remarking on the expected height, he told me not to anticipate any change; that there is an unwritten gentleman's agreement, of all firms, not to exceed Freedom Tower's mark at 1776' [+5']

CHAPINM1 Nov 21, 2014 7:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6815950)

They are only kidding themselves, someone will come along though and surpass it eventually. ;)

aquablue Nov 21, 2014 7:50 AM

Quote:

It that's true, that's pretty pathetic. A gentlemen's agreement to keep that spindly spire the tallest point in NYC is the inverse of what NY forward looking and culture of capitalism represents. 9/11 has a memorial.

Zapatan Nov 21, 2014 1:21 PM

Quote:

The height change I think people are referring to is of the roof since the DOB states 1490' to the top floor. I think we all know it don't go past 1775'

Roof height is far more important anyway, especially in NY where there are abundant pinnacles.

Skyguy_7 Nov 21, 2014 1:23 PM

Even so, the agreement still allows for a 1,775' 11" roof height with a 500' antenna. Besides economics, there's hardly a cap on height in NYC...