SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

thenoflyzone Nov 28, 2022 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9801007)
They could have more flights that depart later at night, namely 10pm to 2am.

AC seems to be very reluctant of having flight depart later than 11:30pm. If you look at YVR, the evening departure bank for AC is generally from 8pm to 11pm, while some Asian carriers will have flights depart as late as 2:30am. Before pandemic, 2nd daily CA departs 3am, and 2nd daily PR departs 4am.

Departure curfew is midnight. Arrival curfew is at 1am.

There are actually quite a few foreign carriers that depart between 10pm and midnight.

BA, AF, QR, TK, AM, AT all depart late at night. Coupled with all the TS departures, means the international jetty is still pretty busy until midnight. But yes, if AC wants to add more international flights from YUL to Europe, it will have no choice but to add them later at night.

thenoflyzone Nov 28, 2022 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zmonkey (Post 9800803)
Seems FI is looking hard at the USA, they will be offering more seats in 2023 vs 2019 in the US (although down a few locations).

If they haven't announced it yet, I doubt YEG will be back in 2023.

I feel like FI needs to concentrate on underserved transatlantic markets. YEG, YWG are perfect examples.

They announced DTW and PRG for next summer, both of which could use more TATL service, so those moves make sense. CLE and MCI were also flown for a couple of years, but both were canceled. So who knows what strategy is best.

They're trying to find a balance serving large metro areas in North America, which have higher O&D to Iceland, with smaller markets that could use TATL service.

casper Nov 28, 2022 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9801063)
I feel like FI needs to concentrate on underserved transatlantic markets. YEG, YWG are perfect examples.

They announced DTW and PRG for next summer, both of which could use more TATL service, so those moves make sense. CLE and MCI were also flown for a couple of years, but both were canceled. So who knows what strategy is best.

They're trying to find a balance serving large metro areas in North America, which have higher O&D to Iceland, with smaller markets that could use TATL service.

Odd they have not tried YOW yet.

Base Nov 28, 2022 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9801063)
I feel like FI needs to concentrate on underserved transatlantic markets. YEG, YWG are perfect examples.

They announced DTW and PRG for next summer, both of which could use more TATL service, so those moves make sense. CLE and MCI were also flown for a couple of years, but both were canceled. So who knows what strategy is best.

They're trying to find a balance serving large metro areas in North America, which have higher O&D to Iceland, with smaller markets that could use TATL service.

Might have missed the boat (plane? haha) with YEG for now as KLM resides as the incumbent to Europe and Condor starts their route to Frankfurt this spring.

thewave46 Nov 28, 2022 8:48 PM

Icelandair is a unique airline. They use a mix of 737-8s and 757s that are smaller but can reach Iceland from interior North America. Those airplanes have better economics when filled without the need for a much larger widebody aircraft.

I suspect their current focus on the US is due to the strong USD and targeting larger markets for higher volumes of O&D passengers. Their success has been mixed as they've tried a number of US destinations that haven't panned out in the past. Bigger but underserved markets can also be useful for providing connections into Europe at KEF. Canada's secondary markets are smaller on that metric, alas.

I'd wager that retrying seasonal YEG would be the first hint that they're thinking about increasing service here. YWG might be second. YOW would be further down the list, because if one is going to the hassle of transiting KEF anyway, YYZ/YUL provides a pretty good selection of choices.

Denscity Nov 29, 2022 5:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9800779)
Looks like FI is canceling YUL for next summer. 2 carriers was probably too much on the route, and with all the non stops to Europe from YUL, FI probably couldn't compete with AC.

Still surprised they haven't resumed YEG though.

No doubt Denscity will comment any second now on the start of the demise of international ops at YUL....

Ha you did it for me thank you.

nname Nov 29, 2022 6:15 AM

Flair adds YQB for S23.

2x weekly YEG
3x weekly YHZ

Pellimo Nov 29, 2022 2:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9801465)
Flair adds YQB for S23.

2x weekly YEG
3x weekly YHZ


Good news

Finally a low cost in YQB....

Zmonkey Nov 29, 2022 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pellimo (Post 9801574)
Good news

Finally a low cost in YQB....

YHZ makes a ton of sense too. I have always been surprised AC never put a Q400 on the route.

Pellimo Nov 29, 2022 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zmonkey (Post 9801594)
YHZ makes a ton of sense too. I have always been surprised AC never put a Q400 on the route.

At 117.29 $ for a Return ticket YQB-YHZ we can't resist

Instead a 10 hours (X2) ride ......

Halifax is a wonder to visit

harls Nov 29, 2022 6:29 PM

I was pleasantly surprised by the low, low cost of $132 to travel to YWG from YOW on December 16. These are like late 90's ticket costs.

esquire Nov 29, 2022 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harls (Post 9801843)
I was pleasantly surprised by the low, low cost of $132 to travel to YWG from YOW on December 16. These are like late 90's ticket costs.

Flight costs are pleasantly low, but hotel costs are often really nasty now.

I miss the days of being able to get Westins, Sheratons, etc. on Priceline for like $40-$50 a night around 10-15 years ago.

JakeLRS Nov 30, 2022 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zmonkey (Post 9801594)
YHZ makes a ton of sense too. I have always been surprised AC never put a Q400 on the route.

I’m sure that’s gonna change, cuz god Forbid an airline expanding in Quebec without AC retaliation.

I wonder if swoop will try and enter the Quebec market

Zmonkey Nov 30, 2022 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeLRS (Post 9802419)
I’m sure that’s gonna change, cuz god Forbid an airline expanding in Quebec without AC retaliation.

I wonder if swoop will try and enter the Quebec market

Likley makes little sense for Swoop to do it. Locals would likely avoid and AC would push back hard.
The only route that may be plausible would be YHM - YUL and who knows if there is even a big need.

Dominion301 Nov 30, 2022 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeLRS (Post 9802419)
I’m sure that’s gonna change, cuz god Forbid an airline expanding in Quebec without AC retaliation.

I wonder if swoop will try and enter the Quebec market

If Swoop ever bother to translate their website into French that’ll be a sign of Quebec service being imminent. Rather sad that they can’t be bothered to offer a French website considering they serve two cities with sizeable francophone populations.

hollywoodcory Dec 2, 2022 12:20 AM

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2022-163

WS has been approved to fly to Japan.

hehehe Dec 2, 2022 2:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9804399)
https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2022-163

WS has been approved to fly to Japan.

Whiteguy over at airliners.net said that they’ll make their 787 announcement on Monday, so I’d assume those changes would be loaded in on this coming Sunday evening

hollywoodcory Dec 2, 2022 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hehehe (Post 9804455)
Whiteguy over at airliners.net said that they’ll make their 787 announcement on Monday, so I’d assume those changes would be loaded in on this coming Sunday evening

And filed in the OAG tonight. They might not be bookable until early Monday though.

hehehe Dec 3, 2022 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9805374)
And filed in the OAG tonight. They might not be bookable until early Monday though.

I'd assume we'll also see what happens to YYZ-LGW/DUB/EDI and YHZ tatl flights too?

casper Dec 3, 2022 3:01 AM

Someone attempted to explain why airport codes in Canada start with Y. He does actually get to the explanation at the tail end.

Video Link


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.