SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Salt Lake MSA Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150265)

RFPCME Aug 13, 2008 12:28 AM

Nice sentiment...

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevena07 (Post 3729533)
:previous:

Yet another reason to build a new convention hotel. I wish the city would realize the potential of the empty sites around the city and place the hotel in one of them, especially the sites by the Salt Palace :yes:

Stevena07: I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but conventions that fill up all the hotels for 3 or 4 or even 5 or 6 weekends a year are not going to pay for a 1,000 room hotel. I don't know what current occupancy rates are for local hotels, but I will bet they are down, like almost everywhere else in the country. In addition, the mega-conventions that SLC is attracting are those that have some logical link to the City, like the Outdoor Retailers Convention. I'm not sure what the link would be to other major meetings, like APA (American Psychological Association), NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English), ABA (American Bar Association), et cetera. Of course, one could argue Utah is a great place for these meetings because of the tremendous local need for the services offered by members of these groups (so said, with tongue firmly in cheek).:D

delts145 Aug 13, 2008 12:56 AM

Hey RFPCME, Whether your a lawyer, medical technician, in a barbershop quartet, or a Baptist Ministry, nobody has a problem with the proximity of the Wasatch Mountains and being able to take multiple half-a-days away in places like Park City or Snowbird. All, and many more continue to hold large conventions in Salt Lake, LOL

As far as this convention hotel adj. to the Palace is concerned, I'm beginning to develop the same opinion as the broadway-style theatre. Let's just pick the site and develop it already.

RFPCME Aug 13, 2008 2:23 AM

You're right

Quote:

Originally Posted by delts145 (Post 3731533)
Hey RFPCME, Whether your a lawyer, medical technician, in a barbershop quartet, or a Baptist Ministry, nobody has a problem with the proximity of the Wasatch Mountains and being able to take multiple half-a-days away in places like Park City or Snowbird. All, and many more continue to hold large conventions in Salt Lake, LOL

As far as this convention hotel adj. to the Palace is concerned, I'm beginning to develop the same opinion as the broadway-style theatre. Let's just pick the site and develop it already.

Delts: Forgot about the mountains...what happens when you move to the flatlands. You're right. Time to pick a site and get the damn thing built! "If you build it, they will come.":banana: :banana: :banana:

SLC Projects Aug 13, 2008 6:10 AM

I agree. Enough talk, let's build it already!

delts145 Aug 13, 2008 11:35 AM

Lack of cash shrinks flashy Leonardo plan

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_10183975

"We have essentially re-scoped the project," said Peter Giles, former head of The Tech Museum of Innovation in San Jose, Calif.

...The center's latest moves come in the wake of an apparent denial from Sorenson Legacy Foundation to give The Leonardo $5 million to $8 million for naming rights. Sorenson announced this week it is giving $12 million for a new arts and education center at the University of Utah.

NYC Rick Aug 13, 2008 2:47 PM

Absolutely correct...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFPCME (Post 3731475)
Stevena07: I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but conventions that fill up all the hotels for 3 or 4 or even 5 or 6 weekends a year are not going to pay for a 1,000 room hotel. I don't know what current occupancy rates are for local hotels, but I will bet they are down, like almost everywhere else in the country. In addition, the mega-conventions that SLC is attracting are those that have some logical link to the City, like the Outdoor Retailers Convention. I'm not sure what the link would be to other major meetings, like APA (American Psychological Association), NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English), ABA (American Bar Association), et cetera. Of course, one could argue Utah is a great place for these meetings because of the tremendous local need for the services offered by members of these groups (so said, with tongue firmly in cheek).:D

I do not think you are raining on the parade, you are speaking the truth.

UTPlanner Aug 13, 2008 4:26 PM

I guess this whole hotel conversation confuses me. I don't understand what people mean by, "Lets build it." Hotels are not and should not be publically financed in any way. This is very different from a theater downtown. The public should help to sponsor the arts as it helps to elevate and define humanity, but a hotel? I think it's great to dream big and a new hotel downtown would be awesome, but "lets not build it." Lets have a private development group build it.

delts145 Aug 13, 2008 4:30 PM

I think that 'let's build it' is just a very loose term in this case. I don't think that forumers are campaigning to have a hotel built with public money.

urbanboy Aug 13, 2008 4:35 PM

Let's get someone to build it! :haha:

Stenar Aug 14, 2008 2:04 AM

Quote:

You're underestimating SLC as a destination. Psychologists, Lawyers, Teachers, etc. have been to conventions in SLC.

Last year, SLC hosted the Rotarians, with 40,000 conventioneers, it is one of the largest conventions there is.

The Salt Palace is packed with conventions 365 days a year. The thing SLC needs to move up to the next level and get MORE large conventions (not some as it already gets several) is a 1,000-room convention hotel.

delts145 Aug 14, 2008 11:06 AM

:banana: Wow,!! With CCC, Station Park, Sugarhouse, The Cottonwood and now the huge HAFB all underway,not to mention everything else, such as the TOD's, TRAX and FrontRunner, say's a lot about the confidence in the future of the Wasatch Front. :banana:

Work on Station Park gets under way - $200M center will have 6-story hotel, ice skating rink, shops, restaurants

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...250697,00.html

http://www.incadence.com/46robynway/..._rendering.jpg
CenterCal Properties

FARMINGTON — So what if the earth movers, graders, steamrollers and front-end loaders jumped the gun by a week? It's about time that developers officially began work on Station Park, a mixed-use development on 62 acres right next to Farmington's FrontRunner station.
Wednesday, while the yellow machines worked, officials and business leaders gathered for an official groundbreaking ceremony.

Developer Rich Haws began buying land in 1996 to build what's known as a transit-oriented development, or TOD.

TODs are popular because they give commuters a chance to spend money as soon as they get off of a train or other mode of transit. It's the same reason gas stations like to locate next to freeway offramps.

...CenterCal is currently in negotiations with retail and restaurant tenants, some of whom will be new to Utah, said Craig Trottier, CenterCal vice president of development, recently. The developer will also eventually begin leasing office space, as well.

Crews are working on building an offramp that will feed directly into Station Park from Park Lane. And architects are pursuing design standards to earn LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.

CenterCal expects to open Station Park in the spring of 2010.

Stenar Aug 14, 2008 4:03 PM

A list of conventions in SLC this year (only through Sept):

Quote:

A list of conventions in SLC this year (only through Sept as that is all that the SLCVB has posted on their site):
CONVENTION CALENDAR
OUTDOOR RETAILER WINTER MARKET
January 23-26
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 15,000)

WESTERN HUNTING & CONSERVATION EXPO
February 6-9
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 10,000)

ASSOCIATION OF BIOMOLECULAR RESOURCE FACILITIES
February 9-12
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 1,200)

International Technology Education Association
Feb. 21-22
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 2,200)

Society for Mining Metallurgy & Exploration
Feb. 24-27
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 4,000)

American Medical Directors Association
Mar. 6-8
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 1,600)

American Youth Soccer Organization
Mar. 6-9
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 1,100)

Novell "Brain Share"
Mar. 16-21
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 7,000)

Mary Kay, Inc.
Mar. 27-28
South Towne Expo Center
(Est. Attendance: 2,000)

ForeverGreen
Apr. 3-5
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 1,000)

National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Apr. 10-12
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 18,000)

Devine Racing of Salt Lake City
Apr. 17-18
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 19,500)

American Association of Occupational Health Nurses
Apr. 29-May 1
Salt Palace

National Association of Fleet Administrators
May 2-6
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 1,800)

Society of Gastroenterology Nurses & Associates
May 14-21
Salt Palace

Alpaca Owners and Breeders Association
May 21-25
South Town Expo Center

Zrii
May 22-24
Salt Palace

North American Benthological Society
May 25-29
Salt Palace

ASSOCIATED FOOD STORES
June 11-13
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 6,000)

ASHRAE, INC.
June 21-24
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 1,000)

EVANGELICAL FREE CHURCH IN AMERICA
June 29 - July 4
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 7,000)

USA VOLLEYBALL
July 1-10
South Towne Expo Center
(Estimated Attendance: 13,000)

WOMEN OF THE EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH IN AMERICA
July 10-13
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 2,500)

SENIOR SOFTBALL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
July 14-15
Cottonwood Complex
(Estimated Attendance: 1,500)

STAMPIN' UP
July 30 - August 1
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 17,700)

OUTDOOR RETAILER SUMMER MARKET August 8-11
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 22,000)

SENDOUTCARDS
August 14-16
Salt Palace

MELALEUCA
August 20-23
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 8,000)

USANA
August 28-30
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 10,000)

AGEL ENTERPRISES
September 5-6
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 3,000)

INSTITUTE OF ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS (IEEE)
September 8-10
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 1,200)

AST DEW TOUR
September 11-14
EnergySolutions Arena
(Estimated Attendance: 7,500)
Utah Sports Commission event

MONAVIE
September 18-20
Salt Palace

AMERICAN RAILWAY ENGINEERING & MAINTENANCE-OF-WAY ASSOCIATION
September 21-24 Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 2,400)

MAX INTERNATIONAL
September 26-28
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 4,000)

ski_steve Aug 14, 2008 5:57 PM

I notice Station Park in Farmington every time I take Frontrunner. They have been working on it for a few weeks now. They have just cleared alot of land and there are huge piles of dirt and equipment.

And I doubt they will be able to get a Lacoste in Farmington haha There isnt even one in Salt Lake yet. But anyway this development will work well with Lagoon and its visitors. I hope they build that monorail line from Lagoon that they have been talking about :yes:

delts145 Aug 14, 2008 7:04 PM

Steve, Do you think they might be talk more along the line of a Lacoste outlet?

Holy Moly, a monorail line from Lagoon!! That would be waaaaay cool! Hey, I would even be happy with a Trolley line.

SLC Projects Aug 14, 2008 7:21 PM

I've heard about a monorail line to Lagoon awhile ago, but I aways thought it would never happen.

ski_steve Aug 14, 2008 7:38 PM

My dad is a reporter for the Des news and hes done alot of stories on Lagoon and such. He always talked that it is Lagoon intention to build a monorail line from the entrance over to the Frontrunner station. But ya i havent heard anything on the lines that they are going to do it very soon, but ya never know. A monorail line makes the most sense in that location, it has to cross over I-15, The Legacy parkway, and the railroads. Ill ask my dad if he knows any more current info on it.

As far a Lacoste is concerned, the closest stores are in Denver, Las Vegas and Phoenix. So Salt Lake is probably due for a store...maybe. I highly doubt they would put a store in Farmington before Salt Lake. Even a outlet would probably be doubtful, it would be more likely at Tanger Outlets in Park City IMO. I wouldn't be surprised is there was a Lacoste in the City Creek Center. After all its suppose to be higher end and it just makes sense to have one there IMO

But then again the Lacoste store are in places like Bellevue instead of Seattle, and Scottsdale instead of Phoenix so ya never know i guess :)

Stenar Aug 14, 2008 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 3735741)
I've heard about a monorail line to Lagoon awhile ago, but I aways thought it would never happen.

Monorails are super expensive, so I doubt it will happen.

ski_steve Aug 14, 2008 7:46 PM

Found this, its from 2003 though

Monorail proposed for Lagoon Park. (4/5/03)
Farmington, Utah. The owners of historic Lagoon Amusement Park are talking with developers about building a monorail system to connect the park to a possible nearby commuter-rail station. A station is proposed to be open by 2007 for as part of a high-speed rail system between Ogden and Salt Lake City. The monorail would serve park visitors as well as many of Lagoon's 1,500 young employees in the summer. The line would only be about 1/4 to 1/2 mile long, but it may also serve an intermediate station where a complex of movie theatres have been proposed, about two blocks from the rail station. Park owners are currently investigating possible sources for funding the monorail.

http://www.monorails.org/tmspages/archive043003.html

Its definitely been talked about and still a possibility but ya its not likely, since it probably should have been done by now.

cololi Aug 14, 2008 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevena07 (Post 3735778)
I wouldn't be surprised is there was a Lacoste in the City Creek Center. After all its suppose to be higher end and it just makes sense to have one there IMO

But then again the Lacoste store are in places like Bellevue instead of Seattle, and Scottsdale instead of Phoenix so ya never know i guess :)

The key to what retailers are looking for is the "coolness" factor of a development. this comes after the expendable incomes of people who are likely to make 2-3 trips a week to the site, visibility, the amount of secondary visits (like tourism, major events, etc). The biggest knock on SLC is the expandable income part. It is skewed due to some of the lower income neighborhoods, but a good retailer will look more into it. This is the knock on most urban cores as well. That is why you see so many high end retailers in suburban malls and not so much in downtown areas (generally speaking). Having these types of retailers in downtown would be huge benefit to downtown and add to downtown attractions.

delts145 Aug 14, 2008 9:54 PM

There are certain stores downtown now, which have kind of paved the way for even more of the same in the future. Stores, like D.Grant limited or Nordstrom are usually not found in traditional downtowns anymore. I think CCC and the continued success of Gateway, and the new Trolley Square is going to open up some incredible opportunities for downtown retail over the next ten years. City's like Salt Lake, Portland, San Diego, Denver and a few others, should see continued improvement in their downtown retail scenes.

I'm looking forward to what the future destinations like The Cottonwood and CCC, will bring in the way of new retailers to the Wasatch Market.

When you think of this big Station Park as a part of the ever expanding lagoon, and also a major FrontRunner Station, well then, I can easily see a lacoste, and a short distance monorail as possibilities. As many forumers have commented previously, I also think that residential will become a factor in the next development phase of Station Park.

delts145 Aug 15, 2008 11:09 AM

:tup: Many Kudo's to the city council of Holiday for fighting Walgreens on this issue. Don't confuse this with the Cottonwood Mall site. The article is a little confusing. Basically Walgreens wanted to erect your typical store in the middle of what the council is reserving as a beautiful and very walkable city-center village in it's heart. You all know where I'm talking about, right? "The old Vern's Video and surrounding plots vicinity."

Builder of Walgreens loses again in court

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...251037,00.html

delts145 Aug 16, 2008 11:00 AM

Out-of -state firms' interest in Utah still going strong

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...251261,00.html

The national economy is in a downturn, but Utah's business-recruitment efforts apparently are immune.
Todd Brightwell, vice president of business development for the Economic Development Corp. of Utah, said this week that interest from out-of-state companies looking to put operations in Utah continues to be strong.

anyiliang Aug 16, 2008 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stenar (Post 3735245)
A list of conventions in SLC this year (only through Sept as that is all that the SLCVB has posted on their site):
CONVENTION CALENDAR
OUTDOOR RETAILER WINTER MARKET
January 23-26
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 15,000)

WESTERN HUNTING & CONSERVATION EXPO
February 6-9
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 10,000)

ASSOCIATION OF BIOMOLECULAR RESOURCE FACILITIES
February 9-12
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 1,200)

International Technology Education Association
Feb. 21-22
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 2,200)

Society for Mining Metallurgy & Exploration
Feb. 24-27
Salt Palace

American Medical Directors Association
Mar. 6-8
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 1,600)

American Youth Soccer Organization
Mar. 6-9
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 1,100)

Novell "Brain Share"
Mar. 16-21
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 7,000)

Mary Kay, Inc.
Mar. 27-28
South Towne Expo Center

ForeverGreen
Apr. 3-5
Salt Palace

National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Apr. 10-12
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 18,000)

Devine Racing of Salt Lake City
Apr. 17-18
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 19,500)

American Association of Occupational Health Nurses
Apr. 29-May 1
Salt Palace

National Association of Fleet Administrators
May 2-6
Salt Palace

Society of Gastroenterology Nurses & Associates
May 14-21
Salt Palace

Alpaca Owners and Breeders Association
May 21-25
South Town Expo Center

Zrii
May 22-24
Salt Palace

North American Benthological Society
May 25-29
Salt Palace

ASSOCIATED FOOD STORES
June 11-13
Salt Palace
(Est. Attendance: 6,000)

ASHRAE, INC.
June 21-24
Salt Palace

EVANGELICAL FREE CHURCH IN AMERICA
June 29 - July 4
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 7,000)

USA VOLLEYBALL
July 1-10
South Towne Expo Center
(Estimated Attendance: 13,000)

WOMEN OF THE EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH IN AMERICA
July 10-13
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 2,500)

SENIOR SOFTBALL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
July 14-15
Cottonwood Complex
(Estimated Attendance: 1,500)

STAMPIN' UP
July 30 - August 1
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 17,700)

OUTDOOR RETAILER SUMMER MARKET August 8-11
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 22,000)

SENDOUTCARDS
August 14-16
Salt Palace

MELALEUCA
August 20-23
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 8,000)

USANA
August 28-30
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 10,000)

AGEL ENTERPRISES
September 5-6
Salt Palace

INSTITUTE OF ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS (IEEE)
September 8-10
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 1,200)

AST DEW TOUR
September 11-14
EnergySolutions Arena
(Estimated Attendance: 7,500)
Utah Sports Commission event

MONAVIE
September 18-20
Salt Palace

AMERICAN RAILWAY ENGINEERING & MAINTENANCE-OF-WAY ASSOCIATION
September 21-24 Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 2,400)

MAX INTERNATIONAL
September 26-28
Salt Palace
(Estimated Attendance: 4,000)

Nice to see SLC has is doing good in the convention area.

ski_steve Aug 19, 2008 3:18 AM

I dont know where this should go, so its here :)

Station Park... well its just kinda nothin right now, but at least they have started to work

http://www.incadence.com/46robynway/..._rendering.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3061/...b1633550_b.jpg

From Frontrunner btw

That would be my bright shirt in the way, sorry...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/...2be3db11_b.jpg

SLC Projects Aug 19, 2008 6:12 AM

Thanks for that update. I like the "bright shirt" :tup:

delts145 Aug 19, 2008 12:34 PM

Very nice Steve, Keep us updated on that project. That's definately close to the tracks. They'd be crazy not to add residential into the mix. Hopefully, that will be a phase coming online in the very near future.

SLC Projects Aug 19, 2008 9:12 PM

RSL Stadium update!

The 20,000 seat stadium should open in two months.
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/7518/aug19001vs2.jpg

The score board is going up.
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1656/aug19002jh5.jpg

Crews putting in seats on the upper rows.
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/434/aug19003yt4.jpg

Eastside
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8736/aug19004ii1.jpg

Westside
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8277/aug19005uc3.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7647/aug19006kp0.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2535/aug19007is2.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3941/aug19008bp9.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9171/aug19009wg4.jpg

SLC Projects Aug 19, 2008 9:21 PM

Fashion Place Mall update!

New store fronts just North of Sears
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5311/aug19010ln6.jpg

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7320/aug19011ej9.jpg

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9638/aug19012zo1.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9038/aug19013je8.jpg

Inside
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/769/aug19014wj4.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7779/aug19015gy2.jpg

The new Nordstrom's Northside of the Mall. Kind of looks alot like the old building.
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6614/aug19016ct2.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9800/aug19017jg7.jpg

New Nordstrom's with the old Nordstrom's in the background
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/5264/aug19018jf4.jpg

Old Nordstrom's
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9964/aug19019oo6.jpg

Old Nordstrom's with New Nordstrom's in background
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9889/aug19020lm0.jpg

Cheesecakes factory. ( still yet to eat there )
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/714/aug19021af3.jpg

SLC Projects Aug 19, 2008 9:32 PM

Fireclay update!

I am really starting to full in love with this project. :tup:

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/362/aug19022td7.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/401/aug19023qt0.jpg

Even with the downturn of the housing market. It looks like these guys are selling their units just fine.
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1237/aug19024tb4.jpg

I love the brick work.
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/450/aug19025bh6.jpg

It looks dead now, but i'm sure oneday this sidewalk will be filled with people.
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6234/aug19026dw4.jpg

Could this be the start of phase two?
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4686/aug19027yd2.jpg

This guy in the car was like...."Why the hell are you taking a picture of me?"
Looks like crews have broken ground for Phase two just across the street.
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1865/aug19028fl1.jpg

One day the building will expand here.
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1402/aug19029jp8.jpg

Maybe this is phase three?
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5765/aug19030xm5.jpg

Shortcut
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3658/aug19031wo7.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6779/aug19032bm6.jpg

Two Thumps up for this project.
:tup: :tup:

delts145 Aug 19, 2008 10:33 PM

Great Pics Projects, Thanks loads!!! I new we would get some more great pics of the new stadium from your direction. The Fashion Place and Fireclay were a big added plus. Thanks again, Very cool to see how these projects have progressed.

delts145 Aug 19, 2008 11:02 PM

posting error

Stenar Aug 19, 2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 3745466)
Fireclay update!

I am really starting to full in love with this project. :tup:

Two Thumps up for this project.
:tup: :tup:

Fireclay looks a bit better than I expected it to look.

aspiringArchitect Aug 20, 2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stenar (Post 3745801)
Fireclay looks a bit better than I expected it to look.

Yeah, I know. I thought the renderings looked pretty boring. Not bad, just boring. But now, after seeing the project almost finished, I think it looks so much better.

Great job!

Does anyone know how they are doing with selling the units and leasing out the ground levels? Because we all know that that determines the success of a project, not just because it looks good.

ski_steve Aug 20, 2008 3:52 AM

WOW!! I love the Fireclay! I wish there was an area of downtown that had a development like this. And i agree the bricks look very nice!

And the Stadium looks real nice, but think they could have put something better than a parking lot right there by the stadium, greens space or retail.

Thanks Projects!! :tup:

urbane Aug 20, 2008 4:43 AM

Fireclay is great! I personally think any TOD development is worth celebrating especially when it looks great. I think a few buildings in this style would look great in the Gateway area or anywhere south of Downtown. Imagine the Kirtland condos replaced by this building, it would be beautiful and fit in much better.

TANGELD_SLC Aug 20, 2008 5:24 AM

I love the fireclay development. I work a block north of it and I hope it will help get some better development in the area..... It's kinda crummy right now :banana:

delts145 Aug 20, 2008 12:15 PM

Sandy arts district project - Developer leaves open possibility of seeking cash from S.L. County

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_10250459

Sandy doesn't want a handout from Salt Lake County to build Utah's first Broadway-style theater.
But the county could be asked to support three smaller theaters and a performing-arts school planned around the grand playhouse as part of The Proscenium, developer Scott McQuarrie said Tuesday.
"We would not like to shut the door on that," he told the County Council after sharing his plans for a $560 million mixed-use project near Interstate 15 and 10000 South in Sandy. The Proscenium would be anchored by an arts district, including a 2,700-seat Broadway-style theater, and three 30- to 40-story towers filled with condos, a hotel and offices.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...um-Theater.gif

delts145 Aug 20, 2008 12:22 PM

Developers pitch diversity for WVC marketplace

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10250461

WEST VALLEY CITY - The residents and their cultural diversity are the city's best asset, a development group pitching a plan for an international marketplace told the City Council on Tuesday.
Ascent Construction's Brad Knowlton said he and his partners can capitalize on that diversity to turn 33 vacant acres west of the Jordan River into a mix of offices, shops, restaurants, condominiums and apartments "where people can be themselves, where people can feel welcome."

SLC Projects Aug 20, 2008 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delts145 (Post 3746795)

WEST VALLEY CITY - The residents and their cultural diversity are the city's best asset, a development group pitching a plan for an international marketplace told the City Council on Tuesday.
Ascent Construction's Brad Knowlton said he and his partners can capitalize on that diversity to turn 33 vacant acres west of the Jordan River into a mix of offices, shops, restaurants, condominiums and apartments "where people can be themselves, where people can feel welcome."

West Valley City really needs to have some kind of a mix use development that will make the city feel more welcome.

SLC Projects Aug 20, 2008 5:21 PM

Has anything change?

Has anything change in the last 40 years when it comes with mall development?
Looking at these pics that I took yesterday at the mall redevelopment in Murray I was starting to wounder if this development will improve the mall itself.
Just take Nordstrom's for example. The new Nordstrom's doesn't really look anything different then the old building other then it's newer. Just take a look at the pics I took. The new building ( Just like the old ) doesn't really have any windows. It's still just a grant big box that sits in the middle of a parking lot. Is having a new Nordstrom's building really a improvement? Will this big windowless box be just as out of place as the old building in 40 years from now? What do you guys think?
I think they should of at least put in a few more windows.

cololi Aug 20, 2008 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delts145 (Post 3746795)

I have absolutely no faith in this development. I believe Ascent Construction was involved in the Kenndey Town Center condo project downtown that went belly up with the foundation in the ground. I doubt that the developers have the ability to pull off this size of development.

cololi Aug 20, 2008 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 3747439)
Has anything change in the last 40 years when it comes with mall development?
Looking at these pics that I took yesterday at the mall redevelopment in Murray I was starting to wounder if this development will improve the mall itself.
Just take Nordstrom's for example. The new Nordstrom's doesn't really look anything different then the old building other then it's newer. Just take a look at the pics I took. The new building ( Just like the old ) doesn't really have any windows. It's still just a grant big box that sits in the middle of a parking lot. Is having a new Nordstrom's building really a improvement? Will this big windowless box be just as out of place as the old building in 40 years from now? What do you guys think?
I think they should of at least put in a few more windows.

Mall developers have not changed anything. Even City Creek, at least the retail portion of it, is still an inward oriented shopping mall. At least CCC is part of a much larger project so the fact that they essentially took the roof off Crossroads and ZCMI is not as noticeable.

Suburban mall developers will continue to develop their model until spending habits change.

DMTower Aug 20, 2008 6:51 PM

^^^ Large department stores such as Nordstrom, Macy's, and Dilliards will always build large boxy stores with no windows because they like to maximize floor space. Windows ruin the accent lighting in the store and you can't hang anything on walls where windows are. The amount of windows the CCC Nordstrom's will have is actually unusual.

jmonkey Aug 20, 2008 8:51 PM

A department store's exterior also is a function of the stores interior layout. Auxiliary areas, like fitting rooms, stock rooms, and offices, are clustered around the exterior walls, with the interior floorspace devoted to the sales floor. It's not a plan that makes large walls of windows very practical. You are more likely to see a large skylight in a department store than you will a window.

No, not much has changed in the layouts of department stores over the last 30 years--the industry has focused on it's consolidation into large chains instead. The last I heard about the anchor stores at City Creek, Macy's will be trying a new prototype there--new layout, merchandise presentation, customer facilities-- but I don't know what that will be exactly yet, or if they will actually follow through. I don't believe that the new Nordstrom store will have glass exterior--I think that's just a glass facade.

I think the new Nordstrom at Fashion Place is just bigger, and of course new. From what I've always heard, this location pulls in money like crazy. It's by and large the most profitable, and successful Nordstrom in the state, especially when you look at their former stores at Ogden City Mall, and Crossroads Plaza. They also have a fairly new store at University Mall.

arkhitektor Aug 20, 2008 9:41 PM

What are the plans for the current Dillards? I'd replace it before Nordstrom in a heartbeat.:yuck:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ntitled-46.jpg

Does anyone have a link to plans for the overall mall renovation?
Please tell me that they are planning on doing something to Dillards, like blowing it up.:)

T-Mac Aug 21, 2008 2:54 AM

Columbia Sportswear to open outlet store in Park City this fall

By Barbara Rattle
The Enterprise

Columbia Sportswear Co., a Portland, Ore.-based manufacturer, distributor and retailer of outerwear with more than 2,700 employees worldwide, will open an outlet center in Park City in October.

Build-out of the approximately 10,000 square foot store at 6699 N. Landmark Dr. in the Tanger Outlet Center is under way and the store should open Oct. 1, said Kerry Barnes, vice president of retail. As an outlet store, the facility will carry discontinued products discounted from the original MSRP pricing. The Park City location will be slightly larger than the 22 other outlet stores that Columbia Sportswear operates nationwide.

"We do a number of stores with Tanger Outlets and they're a great landlord," Barnes said. "Columbia Sportswear is an outerwear company and we think we can do great business there and it also helps spread the brand for us. We don't have a lot of exposure in the Salt Lake area. I believe Cabela's carries some of our merchandise and I think we have some other wholesale partners there."

The Park City outlet store will employ between 20 and 30 people and be open year-round. Barnes said the company will begin a radio, television and newspaper advertising campaign shortly before the store's grand opening this fall.

In addition to outlet stores, the firm has a Columbia retail store as well as a Mountain Hardwear store, both in Portland. Columbia purchased Mountain Hardwear a number of years ago. Plans call for retail stores to open soon at the Portland International Airport, in downtown Seattle, in the Mall of America in Minneapolis and in Chicago, Barnes said.

Founded in 1938, Columbia Sportswear has grown from a small, family-owned hat distributorship to one of the world's largest outerwear brands and the leading seller of skiwear in the United States. In 2006, the firm reported net sales of nearly $1.29 billion. The firm's product line includes a wide variety of outerwear, sportswear, rugged footwear and accessories. Products are available through more than 13,000 retailers in 72 countries. Its family of brands has grown to include Montrail, Pacific Trail and Sorel.

jmonkey Aug 21, 2008 4:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkhitektor (Post 3748120)
What are the plans for the current Dillards? I'd replace it before Nordstrom in a heartbeat.:yuck:

Does anyone have a link to plans for the overall mall renovation?
Please tell me that they are planning on doing something to Dillards, like blowing it up.:)

That Dillard's store is also destined for the wrecking ball

from General Growth Properties, ggp.com:

"Fashion Place is currently undergoing extensive renovations, which will modernize the center and add 240,000 square feet of shop space, including the addition of a welcoming pedestrian-friendly streetscape. The renovation includes new stores for both Nordstrom and Dillard's, which with Sears, serve as the mall's anchors. The project will also encompass a contemporary upgrade of the food court and expand the center's parking facilities. The new Fashion Place will be complete by 2011."

cololi Aug 21, 2008 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmonkey (Post 3748049)

I think the new Nordstrom at Fashion Place is just bigger, and of course new. From what I've always heard, this location pulls in money like crazy. It's by and large the most profitable, and successful Nordstrom in the state, especially when you look at their former stores at Ogden City Mall, and Crossroads Plaza. They also have a fairly new store at University Mall.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with the interior function dictating exterior design. While dept. stores as a whole have seen a decline in sales, they are still profitable. Until shoppers demand a more boutique style experience, they will not change. Nordstrom was actually planning on doing this if the SL City Council would have allowed them to relocate to Gateway a few years back. But having them in the core is much better than having a boutique style design. Macy's revamped floor plans that you mention are generally new to them, but not new to dept. store layout.

Not only is that Nordstrom the highest ranking in Utah, which is really a no brainer when you consider their shopping base, but it is also, per square foot of sales, is also one of the highest in the nation and they have number of highly rated salespersons (based on total dollar sales) which is amazing for how small the Utah market is for them. They have been planning on rebuilding that store for probably about 10 years now. What the current store does not have though is a good layout, off floor storage space or office space for managers, or the full array of departments that the other Nordstroms have. Even though this store will be larger and have more product, it will not be the flagship store in Utah, that is reserved for CCC. And there are hardly any windows on the CCC Nordstrom. The W Temple elevation is a glass facade.

SLC Projects Aug 21, 2008 4:41 PM

My understanding was that there would be a new Dillards store to the North. ( Just like Nordstrom ) And the old store would be turned into part of the Mall expansion. Also there will be a two or three level parking just East of the Dillards.

delts145 Aug 21, 2008 5:28 PM

Hmmm, when you consider they're not tearing down the old Nordstrom or Dillard's, plus all of the additions, this is going to end up as one mammoth sized mall.