SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

cjones2451 May 22, 2018 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khabibulin (Post 8194476)
You can take the boy out of the party, but I have my doubts if you can ever take the party out of the boy.

Most young people do stupid things and party too much, but then realize we need to grow up, so why can't he. The difference is he has a million eyeballs on everything he did, good and bad.

WhipperSnapper May 22, 2018 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8194991)
I respect that, every article I post has author/publication/date and website link.

I have a question, why aren't the moderators for each form listed and if they are where are they? I don't know about you but "Sawmill Billowtoker" doesn't scream moderator to me. Another member seemed to be playing word games as to whether they were a mod or not. Why the secrecy, where do we find out who the mods are because it's not very transparent if they can manipulate situations to their own ends.

BTW I doubt if your editing of my post has brought you into any more compliance with the law than it already was or wasn't.

Naw, You're just blind and ignorant of forum rules

khabibulin May 22, 2018 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjones2451 (Post 8196120)
Most young people do stupid things and party too much, but then realize we need to grow up, so why can't he. The difference is he has a million eyeballs on everything he did, good and bad.

The difference is that young professional athletes being paid millions of dollars need to respect their team, their teammates and the team owner. If not, they get fined, fired and run out of the league. A professional athlete these days needs to treat their body as a well oiled machine or they will break down. What part of all that did Manziel not understand? Young millionaire professional athletes does not equal most young people. Is Manziel addicted to the booze, drugs, women, partying or the adulation? Any of these will be a hard habit to break. Especially for a narcissist.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...nt-josh-gordon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-practice.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...clean-act.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tclub-on-video

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...-dates-am-days

http://people.com/celebrity/johnny-m...-at-coachella/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.27ca7c416aa3

cjones2451 May 22, 2018 10:36 PM

I don't disagree, but you said you doubt that Manziel will. He's 2 years out of football, married, getting treatment for bi-polar and for all intents and purposes on his last chance. Maybe I am an optimist, and I am by no means a Manziel fan, but I hope he bounces back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khabibulin (Post 8196212)
The difference is that young professional athletes being paid millions of dollars need to respect their team, their teammates and the team owner. If not, they get fined, fired and run out of the league. A professional athlete these days needs to treat their body as a well oiled machine or they will break down. What part of all that did Manziel not understand? Young millionaire professional athletes does not equal most young people. Is Manziel addicted to the booze, drugs, women, partying or the adulation? Any of these will be a hard habit to break. Especially for a narcissist.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...nt-josh-gordon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-practice.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...clean-act.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tclub-on-video

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...-dates-am-days

http://people.com/celebrity/johnny-m...-at-coachella/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.27ca7c416aa3


elly63 May 22, 2018 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8196028)
Moderators names show up in purple, but I agree they should be indicated better, not everyone discerns the blue spectrum well.

Thanks, you're right, I never noticed, too bad you had to tell me and not the secret society. What if the name is green. does that mean they're some sort of ahole?

elly63 May 22, 2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8194179)
I can't think of anyone who has "dominated" to the point of embarrassing the league or it's teams. Doug Flutie would be the best example of anyone coming anywhere near that and he has been about the best ambassador the league has ever had (save Pinner)

Manziel takes his first full team reps at Ticats training camp
Dan Ralph, Canadian Press May 22, 2018

But Manzeil has spoken to Doug Flutie, another former Heisman Trophy winner who won three Grey Cups and six outstanding player awards during his illustrious eight-year CFL tenure (1990-1997). After leading Toronto to a second straight league title in ’97, Flutie played another eight NFL seasons with Buffalo (1998-2000), San Diego (2001-2004) and New England (2005).

“He (Flutie) thought this game would translate to what I do very well,” Manziel said. “He spoke very highly of everything up here and how it shaped him and where he is in his life.

“I’m very appreciative to have somebody like that who I could reach out to any time.”

isaidso May 23, 2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot (Post 8194470)
Yeah ..... ok :haha:

Unless they played in U Sports or the CFL, I won't know who they are. Of course I don't know who this guy was as he came up through the football system in another country. Likewise, I didn't know who Jacob Poetl was till he got signed by the Raptors.

I watch about 30 CFL games/year, 2-3 U Sport games/year, and attend 2-3 games/year. I did attend a Super Bowl party last year (first one in 20+ years) but had no idea who any of the players were except for Tom Brady. And that's only because I wondered who that cutie pie was standing next to Gisele Bündchen a few years back. I'm not sure why this would be so amusing to you. :???:

WhipperSnapper May 23, 2018 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8196330)
Thanks, you're right, I never noticed, too bad you had to tell me and not the secret society. What if the name is green. does that mean they're some sort of ahole?

Exactly. I'm the self appointed moderator of aholes that don't realize they are being aholes. Having your feathers ruffled was no excuse. It's on you to know the forum rules. There's no conspiracy, secret society fluff either. SSP's moderation staff is available on the main forum page. Moderators for each subsection are posted at the bottom of that section.

The irony is that homeinmyshoes backhanded post was more derogatory than mine. That's what makes SSP so awesome.

elly63 May 23, 2018 1:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 8196417)
There's no conspiracy, secret society fluff either. SSP's moderation staff is available on the main forum page. Moderators for each subsection are posted at the bottom of that section.

Then how come this is the first time anyone has answered this question? How come when I asked a guy if he was in charge of the CFL forum he played word games. It's like having the wolf in charge of the henhouse.

If those are the forum rules about posting it's funny they've only been enforced by that guy and never anywhere else I've posted on this site. Must have been a little too much good CFL news for the soccer snowflakes in charge to handle.

And as you're being so helpful, how about telling me who mods these sections, I'm looking and all I see are Tony and itom, is there some big secret? I don't know of any other site that hides their mods or is there a reason behind that?

elly63 May 23, 2018 1:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 8196145)
Naw, You're just blind and ignorant of forum rules

So this is how mods behave, not setting a very good example are we?

Acajack May 23, 2018 1:45 AM

SSP Canada is mature enough that it only needs light moderation.

This might need revisiting though if we have another Quebec referendum, or Toronto gets an NFL team!

elly63 May 23, 2018 1:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8196456)
or Toronto gets an NFL team!

Them's fightin' woids :) Actually if that ever happened I have a lot of thoughts on that (that most would likely disagree with) but it would be one helluva change for T.O. With the fragmentation of the TV market, the NFL isn't the juggernaut they once were, but they're still the most powerful league in the world.

khabibulin May 23, 2018 2:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8196456)
SSP Canada is mature enough that it only needs light moderation.

This might need revisiting though if we have another Quebec referendum, or Toronto gets an NFL team!

:haha::haha::haha::haha::pillowfight:

khabibulin May 23, 2018 2:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjones2451 (Post 8196298)
I don't disagree, but you said you doubt that Manziel will. He's 2 years out of football, married, getting treatment for bi-polar and for all intents and purposes on his last chance. Maybe I am an optimist, and I am by no means a Manziel fan, but I hope he bounces back.

My comment was a generic one about hard core party boys (like Manziel). It is a tough habit to give up. I wonder what his LA model wife will think about living in the Hammer? Honestly though. I hope he has made the necessary changes in his life and does not fall back on old habits.

elly63 May 23, 2018 3:00 AM

However this will play out, good or bad, Manziel has been bringing positive press to the league so far.

JHikka May 23, 2018 1:22 PM

Empty seats cloud Memorial Cup opening weekend
By Cami Kepke Global News

The battle for junior hockey’s greatest prize should have all eyes glued to the ice, but early on at the 100th Memorial Cup, empty seats at the Brandt Centre in Regina are getting most of the attention.

“It’s kind of disappointing when you’ve got your home team hosting the Memorial Cup and you come in and don’t see hardly any fans,” Regina Pats fan Marv Magnuson lamented. “I hope it’s a wake-up call for the league.”

The opening match between the host Pats and Ontario Hockey League champion Hamilton Bulldogs pulled a crowd of 5,678 people — a far cry from the sellout crowd Regina normally sees in the playoffs.

People on social media were quick to point out the gaps in the crowd, while some fans lamented ticket prices that start at $75.

“We could have filled this arena. We could have filled every seat, standing room only. We could have filled it all with better prices,” Pats fan Perry Pachkowski added. “We paid it because we know it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have your host team still in it fighting for the Memorial Cup.”

Halifax is hosting next year’s Memorial Cup and organizers have already confirmed they will be slashing ticket prices. In a pamphlet sent to Mooseheads season ticket holders earlier this week, the team said it would focus on junior hockey at junior hockey prices.

Packages for season-ticket holders will work out to around $40 a game, while the general public will pay a slightly higher price.

The Pats’ hosting committee says Halifax is in a completely different situation, and they expect attendance to increase after the long weekend.

“Every location has a different circumstance, has a different size of arena. It has a different fee that it’s paying to the CHL. I think some people think we get all the revenue from ticket sales and we don’t,” host committee chair Shaun Semple said. “Their arena has more than 11,000 seats, that’s twice as large as this one. Their fee, I think, is half of what we’re paying for a fee as well.”

Thursday’s outdoor opening ceremonies and Eagles concert drew 27,000 fans, despite heavy rain and wind.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4221482/e...-memorial-cup/

elly63 May 23, 2018 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8196776)
Thursday’s outdoor opening ceremonies and Eagles concert drew 27,000 fans, despite heavy rain and wind.

Eagles? They still goin'? How can you have the Eagles without Glenn Frey? From the sound of it they should have booked Earth, Wind and Fire :)

Acajack May 23, 2018 8:47 PM

How has the Memorial Cup been doing attendance-wise in recent years? National media coverage seems lower than it used to be, aside from the networks that actually own the broadcast rights.

Anyone know?

elly63 May 23, 2018 8:50 PM

I don't know, but if it's been on Sportsnet, that oughta tell ya.

elly63 May 23, 2018 8:51 PM

np


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.