SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   DENVER | Transportation Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=150276)

jbssfelix Apr 2, 2019 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 8526984)
Calling all bike-to-work enthusiasts

It's not just drivers you should be concerned with. How many of you have road hazard insurance? Ouch!

Dumb hypothetical question: Could the city be held liable for creating an unsafe environment for the cyclist?

Cirrus Apr 2, 2019 8:05 PM

It's not a dumb question. The answer is no, as long as the environment the city creates is compliant with engineering standards like AASHTO, which basically exist to remove liability.

There's probably a better case to sue AASHTO for adopting unsafe standards. That would be an uphill battle too, but it strikes me as potentially less settled than the alternative.

TakeFive Apr 2, 2019 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8527671)
It's not a dumb question. The answer is no, as long as the environment the city creates is compliant with engineering standards like AASHTO, which basically exist to remove liability.

There's probably a better case to sue AASHTO for adopting unsafe standards. That would be an uphill battle too, but it strikes me as potentially less settled than the alternative.

I'm gonna take a stab that w/o acknowledging any liability that the city ponies up to help with the (uninsured) medical costs.

bunt_q Apr 2, 2019 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8527671)

Even if they're not up to third-party standards, governmental (sovereign) immunity is strong in Colorado. Basically, you can't sue the king for doing what the king does.

You could, however, vote. Problem is, so can I, and what you call a safe street, I call an inconvenient one to drive on.

TakeFive Apr 2, 2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunt_q (Post 8527750)
Even if they're not up to third-party standards, governmental (sovereign) immunity is strong in Colorado. Basically, you can't sue the king for doing what the king does.

You could, however, vote. Problem is, so can I, and what you call a safe street, I call an inconvenient one to drive on.

BTW, they've started on 'my' freeway widening to 10 lanes. Interestingly, 8 lanes isn't that much since nobody wants to drive in the right lane unless they're exiting or entering the freeway. That only leaves two general purpose lanes plus the HOV lane.

Metro Phoenix, though is in danger of going the way of Los Angeles. Apparently 'hundreds' of companies are now looking at Phoenix to relocate or expand. Metro areas to the SE are already seeing congested freeways even where there's already 10 lanes.

Denver will work better with its densifying downtown; they just need a few urban light rail routes added is all. :)

Denver Dweller Apr 2, 2019 11:16 PM

Denver puts on its big-city pants, announces a transportation department that could s

https://denverite.com/2019/04/02/den...2yhls4lSV4eJ1o

TakeFive Apr 3, 2019 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Dweller (Post 8527906)

That Eulois Cleckley has quite the sense of humor.
Quote:

The consolidation will save $7.3 million annually, which Cleckley said will fund transport projects.
They'll still pick up the garbage etc but the new umbrella structure of Department of Transportation and Infrastructure will grow the transportation group from 120 to 1,100 employees working on transportation. No doubt there will be many hard-working, well-deserving public servants who are rewarded with higher pay-grade status. So while we'll save $7.3 million over here we'll spend many times that over there. :koko:

Quote:

After about three years of talk, Denver will join major cities like Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C., all of which have transportation departments.
Hardly peer cities and btw Denver lies West of the Mississippi not east. But cities like Phoenix, Portland and Seattle which are all west of the Mississippi also have their own transportation departments. Even our good friend from Sacramento, CastleScott, benefits from SACDOT. Just sayin'.

Of course Sachs wants to impress us of the pending more efficient roll out of badly needed bike lanes and then proceeds to prove his point by offering a photo as an example:

https://a.spirited.media/wp-content/...-02.jpg?w=1000
Photo by Kevin J. Beaty/Denverite

Indeed the bike congestion is umm... nvm.

I have no objection to the changes and it should be able to bring better results. It sounds like they figure to save money by sub-contracting out less to the private sector and doing more of the work in-house. Maybe they'll save on a per project basis but color me skeptical. In fact I'll guess this avenue is more costly over the long term and cutting ties to the private sector has its drawbacks.

Ultimately their success will be dependent on additional funding from taxpayers above the existing plate of ~$450 million Elevate Denver projects already in the pipeline.

DenverDave Apr 3, 2019 5:08 AM

I tried to book an Epic Mountain Express shuttle from Breckenridge to Denver for my family and the lady who answered the phone said they only run to DIA because they don't have a permit for shared vans downtown. Can anyone confirm if this is a fact? Getting a ride to the ski areas directly from the city rather than the airport seems to be an immense challenge. I'm really surprised that no private company has cracked the problem of affordable transportation from Denver to the the ski areas, or at least from the park-n-rides in Morrison.

TakeFive Apr 3, 2019 6:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverDave (Post 8528185)
I tried to book an Epic Mountain Express shuttle from Breckenridge to Denver for my family and the lady who answered the phone said they only run to DIA because they don't have a permit for shared vans downtown. Can anyone confirm if this is a fact? Getting a ride to the ski areas directly from the city rather than the airport seems to be an immense challenge. I'm really surprised that no private company has cracked the problem of affordable transportation from Denver to the the ski areas, or at least from the park-n-rides in Morrison.

You can check out this Visit Denver link under MOUNTAIN SHUTTLES & CHARTER SERVICES but its vague as to whether it can solve your dilemma and doesn't specifically answer your question.

TakeFive Apr 3, 2019 7:17 AM

Props to Andy Bosselman

Denver Streetsblog's new writer Andy Bosselman provides an excellent description of what is being done and why with respect the 'new' Department of Transportation and Infrastructure, to wit:
Quote:

Unlike other cities, where public works departments have spun off transportation functions into dedicated DOTs, Denver’s proposed department will be responsible for city streets, the refuse bins on its sidewalks, and the sewers underneath.

“Because these functions play out every day in our public right of way, both under and above ground, it’s imperative we keep these functions under the umbrella of our transportation department,” said Mayor Michael Hancock.
Why is this a good thing?
Quote:

For example, instead of digging up a street two times, once to repave it, and later to replace the neighborhood’s sewers, this new planning process would anticipate the repaving project and plan for it to follow the sewer replacement.
Not sure this strategy wasn't already being followed but it's an advantage for keeping everything still under one roof as opposed to a total separation of functions where a lack of coordination could come into play.

Also, what I previously misunderstood is that the $7.3 million being saved is from NOT creating two separate agencies. It seems a bit odd that since everything will still be 'under one roof' that voters need to approve the changes. But I guess the reorganization and New Name is substantial enough that they do. :shrug:

DenverDave Apr 3, 2019 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 8528229)
You can check out this Visit Denver link under MOUNTAIN SHUTTLES & CHARTER SERVICES but its vague as to whether it can solve your dilemma and doesn't specifically answer your question.

They ended up taking Bustang from Frisco. What I did not realize is that purchasing a ticket does not guarantee you a seat. The bus did fill up and there were several people stranded in Frisco. I can't imagine a worse scenario, being stuck at the Frisco Transfer Center without a place to stay or a ride home. And if this is happening midweek in April, I can only imagine the situation mid-winter. CDOT really needs to get its act together regarding transit from Denver to the mountains. Demand is obviously there.

DenverDave Apr 3, 2019 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 8528235)
For example, instead of digging up a street two times, once to repave it, and later to replace the neighborhood’s sewers, this new planning process would anticipate the repaving project and plan for it to follow the sewer replacement.

Not sure this strategy wasn't already being followed but it's an advantage for keeping everything still under one roof as opposed to a total separation of functions where a lack of coordination could come into play.

I did notice across the street from my work at 6th and Delaware that DPW did curb and gutter work and installed ADA ramps a year ago, and now the same sidewalk is being torn up again, presumably for sewer work.

TakeFive Apr 6, 2019 8:04 PM

According to Streetsblog USA's Thursday's Headlines

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock is asking voters to approve a new city DOT that would hire 1,000 people to complete street-level projects faster and set up a new city-run transit agency. (Denverite)

Well, I was tricked too. Apparently there will be no hiring tsunami at DPW or same with a new name. Apparently the newly named Denver Transportation and Infrastructure was enough to conclude up to 1,000 (new) employees will now be working on transportation as opposed to whatever they are currently doing. :koko:

Cirrus Apr 7, 2019 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 8528076)
That Eulois Cleckley has quite the sense of humor

Did a double take at this. I know Eulois Cleckley (though not well enough to know he'd moved to Denver). Used to work in DC.

TakeFive Apr 9, 2019 2:09 AM

^ Yes, he went from the frying pan into the fire but it was well worth it since he ended up in God's Country.

Bustang's newfangled Bus Stop

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/new...rk/3359458002/
Quote:

As part of the project, the area will include a first-of-its-kind feature for Colorado — a bus stop in the middle of I-25.

The bus stop will serve the Colorado Department of Transportation’s Bustang bus that runs from Fort Collins to Denver. The Bustang route has been a popular addition since debuting in 2015. Ridership has grown from 2,992 passengers per month in August 2015 to 8,133 passengers per month in June 2018.

The Kendall Parkway enhancement is expected to save 15 minutes each way on the trip, according to CDOT.
Draw me a picture.
Quote:

The expansion will allow Bustang to use the third, express lane, and exit left into the middle of the interstate at Kendall Parkway. There, passengers who park at a new designated parking lot west of I-25 will take an underpass below I-25 and walk up a ramp to the Bustang bus stop. The bus stop will be adequately protected so passengers can safely board the bus.

TakeFive Apr 10, 2019 8:59 PM

Due to a bomb passing through, DIA canceled over 750 flights today.

Cirrus Apr 11, 2019 4:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 8533975)
Draw me a picture.

There's a rendering. Sadly it's small, but look closely. The bus stop is in the lower left.

It's nice! In-line bus stops are great compared to making the bus exit. Minneapolis and LA have a few, but they're pretty rare.

TakeFive Apr 12, 2019 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8536576)
There's a rendering. Sadly it's small, but look closely. The bus stop is in the lower left.

Yes, I see it (sorta)

Being rich may not buy happiness but it sure helps in buying light rail

https://www.kentreporter.com/news/fe...federal-grant/
Quote:

The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) on Wednesday moved Sound Transit’s Federal Way Link Extension forward in its rigorous funding process, granting the project approval to advance to the engineering phase — a necessary step toward securing a critical grant.
So how much money are we talking about?
Quote:

With FTA’s approval of the project into Engineering, FTA locked in the Capital Investment Grant funding amount at $790 million, the level requested by Sound Transit.
But what is the project cost?
Quote:

Sound Transit is seeking 25 percent funding of the total federal project estimate of $3.1 billion. This estimate includes funding to purchase 20 additional Link vehicles.

Trains on the 7.8-mile light rail extension from Angle Lake in SeaTac to Federal Way will serve three stations along the route.
Only three stations and the cost comes to a cool $397 million per mile which is over 5 1/2 X the cost of FasTracks at ~$70 million per mile.

Comparing this to just the Eagle P3 commuter rail is also interesting. The A and G Lines have 16 stations over 34 miles; the reported cost of $2.2 billion comes to less than $65 million per mile. RTD receive FTA grant for $1.03 billion. However if you add in the 'equity/loan' by the private partner of ~$400 million then the total cost of $2.6 billion works out to $76.5 million per mile. I didn't include the B Line as I believe RTD paid for that separately.

TakeFive Apr 17, 2019 11:11 AM

Have you ever felt like you've been hit in the head by concrete?

That's the way the DIA is feeling. The completion of the “Great Hall Project” is now being pushed from 2021 out to 2023 and even that is not a time certain. Oh, and the money changers have come a-calling.

TakeFive Apr 22, 2019 11:16 PM

The Time Has Come to get Your G Line Gear

Click Here - to see RTD twitter Opening Ceremony photo logo.

Isn't bunt usually first in line (wearing his Blue Bros shades) when a new train starts up? April 26th or four more days at 9:00 a.m. at the Ward Station is the place to be.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1532967682
Source

Good News: The Horns Are Back

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/04/...commerce-city/
Quote:

N Line Testing Begins; Residents Should Expect Horns Sounding

THORNTON, Colo. (CBS4) – Testing will happen Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. Residents can also expect testing on some Saturdays
Winter Park Express Sees Record Ridership Since Re-launch
April 22, 2019
Quote:

WINTER PARK, Colo. (CBS4) – Amtrak’s Winter Park Express saw record numbers for the 2018/2019 season. Officials say more than 19,000 round-trip tickets were purchased. That’s the most since the service re-launched in 2017