SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   DENVER | Transportation Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=150276)

seventwenty May 24, 2011 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunt_q (Post 5289717)
Sure, but if you're still going to have to carry it on the train, all you're saving is the walk from the train to a DIA check counter. That's a shorter walk than you'd have if you accidentally got dropped off on the east side of the terminal and ha to walk to the west. Hardly worth a penny of investment to avoid that. The whole point of the discussion, I thought, was how to avoid having to lug your bags around on the train. Unless we're talking about funding porters now...?

In addition, I can see the above scenario adding unnecessary confusion. Some passengers who have purchased the service will try to go to the airline check-in counter. Others who didn't buy the service will try to drop their bags off at a TSA-RTD drop point inside DIA. Both waste time and diminish the viability of the system. A clear system, drop your bag off at DUS, see it again at your arriving airport, eliminates much of this confusion.

Furthermore, even if the system works perfectly, there's (hopefully) a few hundred people getting off the train at any given time. That creates a bottle neck at the TSA-RTD bag drop point inside the terminal. That time wasted reduces the viability of the system, as people will only think "lines for an unnecessary service." By having bag handlers inside DUS, you can reduce the bottle neck as people will have a 15-30min window to get their affairs in order. If the bag doesn't get on train 1, it can get in train 2 and still make the plane.

blm3034L!fe May 27, 2011 8:55 PM

Has anyone been out to DIA lately? Is there anything going on with the new Hotel and LR Line?

Just curious and thought I would ask.

Thanks Gentlemen.

Cirrus May 27, 2011 9:06 PM

There is no light rail line going to DIA.

seventwenty May 27, 2011 9:50 PM

I was out a DIA last Friday, and not much appeared to be happening. When I go back out on Sunday, I'll snap some photos.

blm3034L!fe May 27, 2011 10:34 PM

My apologies Communter Rail.

And that would be a nice treat if you did that for us seventwenty. :tup:

sashyenka May 27, 2011 11:31 PM

I would offer to do photos as well, since I'm headed to DIA tomorrow, but I'll be gone for 6 weeks. I'll take some on my way home in July so that we can compare progress!

CastleScott May 28, 2011 3:30 PM

[QUOTE][Has anyone been out to DIA lately? Is there anything going on with the new Hotel and LR Line?
/QUOTE]

I work out there and as of yesterday theres still the deep hole in front of the terminal which has looked the same as of Dec. Theres alot of work going on in the lower levels of the terminal itself as prep work continues on...

seventwenty May 30, 2011 4:25 AM

Quote:

I work out there and as of yesterday theres still the deep hole in front of the terminal which has looked the same as of Dec. Theres alot of work going on in the lower levels of the terminal itself as prep work continues on...
The check-in line at my airline was very long today, so I couldn't explore any one the lower levels, if I even could see anything at all, but to put some photos out there for people to see:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/...a19aedc0_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5308/...a130d1c4_z.jpg

blm3034L!fe May 30, 2011 3:41 PM

Thank you for the pics, they sure are taking their time, maybe the flyover design has held the rest of it up? I don't know.

Wizened Variations May 30, 2011 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blm3034L!fe (Post 5297162)
Thank you for the pics, they sure are taking their time, maybe the flyover design has held the rest of it up? I don't know.

I suspect that Eagle, RTD, and, DIA are in some kind of negotiation concerning what EXACTLY (the precise 'blue print' details) will be built and when. Eagle and RTD are concerning with bottom line costs, and, DIA is concerned with minimizing passenger and vehicle traffic disruption.

trubador May 31, 2011 2:52 PM

there is not even any construction equipment out there.

The Dirt May 31, 2011 4:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about it too much. According to RTD, the bridge over Sand Creek in Stapleton c/would be one of the first things to begin construction on the East Corridor, other than moving utilities and other prep work. That's supposed to start sometime this year. I would expect that the DIA terminal would start construction during one of the last phases. With 5 years to go, they're in no rush, as it's likely that more design changes will be coming.

bunt_q May 31, 2011 5:13 PM

I don't think DIA has even completed its first bond sale for the project, has it?

trubador Jun 1, 2011 6:37 PM

it looks like Longmont might be trying to form their own county, which means that they would probably vote to not be included in RTD anymore (like Castle Rock). It would be interesting to see what this would do to the Fast tracks projections.

The Dirt Jun 1, 2011 7:38 PM

Awesome! They should form their own county with southern Weld county.

bunt_q Jun 1, 2011 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trubador (Post 5300178)
it looks like Longmont might be trying to form their own county, which means that they would probably vote to not be included in RTD anymore (like Castle Rock). It would be interesting to see what this would do to the Fast tracks projections.

Oh, I don't think it'd be that simple... there'd be a whole lot of legal wrangling, they wouldn't be able to just walk away from RTD without some financial ramifications. Not to mention, it's far from guaranteed they'd vote that way. Longmont has its own little RTD-provided bus network (something Castle Rock was never promised, even if they maybe should have been).

And then there's no guarantee the rest of the state would vote in favor of it either. Especially if there was some sort of we're-getting-screwed-on-RTD-funding backlash in other parts of the metro, that could kill the new county idea.

EDIT: You know, I don't think there's even a statutory mechanism for existing RTD areas to vote themselves out of the district. I can't find it (in my 45 second scan of the statute) if it's there. Castle Rock was an easy case - because of the existing legislation on how areas can be added to the district, contiguity requirements, etc., it ended up that parts of Castle Rock were in the district and other were outside of it. So the legislature specifically added a section allowing Castle Rock to vote itself all-in or all-out. So that's a different case... not sure how a new county would go about leaving. Might require another amendment to the RTD Act.

The Dirt Jun 1, 2011 9:19 PM

Is RTD service county based? I thought that it was city city based, with some kind of provision to provide service to unincorporated built-up areas. I'm too lazy to do the research myself.

bunt_q Jun 1, 2011 9:30 PM

No, not county-based... greatly simplifying here, but there are three ways now (post-2007, when some changes were made) to add territory to the RTD. (C.R.S. 32-9-106.6, 32-9-106.7, and 32-9-106.8) -

1. The easy way - any land annexed by a city that's already partly in the RTD is added to the RTD (and is also added to the SCFD and baseball district).
2. Petition (by 100% of landowners in an area) or election.
3. Annexation (RTD Board can annex areas after notice if they are 100% surrounded by land already in the RTD).

Not sure if there's more...

glowrock Jun 1, 2011 10:27 PM

If Longmont were to do this, I would imagine Boulder would immediately ban all Longmont residents from driving down to Boulder to take advantage of any sort of transit, especially the buses/trains to Denver. Of course, as Brent already said, it's certainly highly unlikely that this will ever happen.

Aaron (Glowrock)
]

Octavian Jun 2, 2011 4:16 PM

Planned DUS bus schedules:

http://unionstationadvocates.blogspo...schedules.html

664 buses per day on opening day in the underground terminal.