SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Salt Lake MSA Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150265)

arkhitektor Jun 27, 2008 7:38 PM

Progress on Birkhill @ Fireclay:

The first phase is nearing completion and models should be open in time for the Salt Lake Parade of Homes in August:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...d/100_1529.jpg

EIFS and Brick are complete on the courtyard side of the first building:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...d/100_1530.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...d/100_1531.jpg

Brick work continues on the front:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...d/100_1532.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...d/100_1533.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...d/100_1534.jpg

Scraperdude801 Jun 27, 2008 8:06 PM

thanks for the pics arkhitektor. I was wondering about that project. ... I really love the design of the building with this project. real classy.

UTAZLoVer Jun 27, 2008 8:26 PM

Birkhill is going to be such a cool project!! The future for TOD's in Utah look bright!!

delts145 Jun 27, 2008 9:05 PM

I love this development Ark!! Very classy, and thanks for the great update pics. You must be very proud to have been involved with this project, I know I sure would be.

ski_steve Jun 28, 2008 5:57 AM

Sandy ponders a move on up
Taller buildings, if approved, could allow creation of a downtown

By Rosemary Winters
The Salt Lake Tribune

SANDY - Lively, walkable streets, trolley cars, an urban forest and a new skyscraper-studded skyline someday could transform this southern Salt Lake Valley suburb.
"There's no real hub" in Sandy, said resident Bruce Bryner. "If you're in downtown Salt Lake, you know you're downtown. [Sandy has] the opportunity to be the second downtown."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9724390?source=rss

wrendog Jun 28, 2008 6:03 AM

I know most people on here don't like this about Sandy, but I say good for them!

SLC Projects Jun 28, 2008 6:21 AM

:previous:
I agree. Way a go Sandy.
Also I love those pics of the Fireclay project. That project is coming along very nice. But I fear that phase two might be a ways away due to the slowing of the housing market. :(

delts145 Jun 28, 2008 10:54 AM

Well, we diss Sandy because it's not urban enough. So, if it becomes a city with a viable urban downtown, "then great." They keep referring to all three towers as thirty story. As has been mentioned by other forumers, I would like to see them make one of the towers 45 stories, and shorten the other two. I suppose though, it will make it easier to sell the tower space in all three, if they are equal in height prestige.

:tup: Sandy has mapped out its future many times before - and touted its status as "the other downtown." But Knowlton said the group's insights revealed a shift in attitudes about what Sandy could be. Dolan pointed out that earlier master plans showed mostly office parks and a maximum of two-story structures in the area.
Now, Sandy seems ready to say, "So long, suburb."

* On Tuesday, the Sandy City Council will hold a public hearing and decide whether to eliminate a 10-story height restriction in Sandy's central business district.
* The code amendment would pave the way for three 30-story towers at the planned Proscenium project.
* The meeting begins at 7 p.m. at City Hall, 10000 S. Centennial Parkway.

delts145 Jun 28, 2008 12:22 PM

http://www.hamlethomes.com/SiteData/...levationA2.jpg

Note: Be sure to check out Ark's pics of Birhill at the SkyscraperPage Forum under Transportation/Salt Lake City Debuts. Show your local pride and leave a comment. Also, view the updated Birkhill Video with Voice-over.

delts145 Jun 28, 2008 12:44 PM

:cool: :cool:

An historic icon opens for service - Taking a trip back in time
Vintage roadside diner offers taste of nostalgia
The classic 1940s-style eatery is set to open for business today at site near Oakley

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9726799?source=rv

http://166.70.44.68/TribPhoto/photos...r83sg_0628.jpg
The Road Island Diner, a classic 1940s diner that was moved to Oakley, Utah last year from Rhode Island will open for business this weekend serving up comfort food and a taste of nostalgia.
(Steve Griffin/The Salt Lake Tribune )

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...~1_Gallery.jpg
Servers prepare for this weekend's opening of the Road Island Diner, a classic 1940s diner that was moved to Utah last year from Rhode Island. The historic diner will be serving up comfort food and a taste of nostalgia in Oakley. (Steve Griffin/The Salt Lake Tribune

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...~3_Gallery.jpg
Teshia Larsen, whose server name is "Hattie," and Tyler Galovich, server name "Floyd," hold up a burger and Coke as the rest of the wait staff fills in behind at the Road Island Diner. (Steve Griffin/The Salt Lake Tribune)

ski_steve Jun 29, 2008 5:42 PM

Big changes for Herriman: $1 billion town center project set to transform growing suburb

By Steve Gehrke
The Salt Lake Tribune

HERRIMAN - In the center of this city, the word "historic" is written in fine print beneath the numbers on many street signs. Farm equipment is scattered across wide-open properties; sheep and horses roam fenced fields.
But an ambitious billion-dollar town-center project is about to change the rural face of the 14,600-resident city that incorporated with barely 800 in 1999.
The smatterings of projected amenities proffered by The Sorenson Group are expansive, with some intending to serve the entire Salt Lake Valley's southwest quadrant. Among the biggest additions: a $30 million recreation center, a new county library, a community lake, ice-skating rink, playground, splash park and movie theater.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9733717?source=rss

Herriman to attain $1B heart

By Amy Choate-Nielsen
Deseret News

HERRIMAN — New construction may be disappearing from many west-side cities in Salt Lake County, but here, where a newly announced, billion-dollar development is waiting on the horizon, the situation is drastically different.

http://deseretnews.com/photos/midres/5704393.jpg

All totaled, the project — which should begin within 90 days and finish its phases in 10 years — will occupy more than 375 acres in the heart of Herriman.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,5143,700238979,00.html

delts145 Jun 29, 2008 6:50 PM

:banana: Wow Steve, Very nice!! I like the design element a lot. I'm also elated to hear that Sorenson is involved. That means BIG money and DEEP pockets, which is something that will carry this project to its fruition. That particular area is very impressive for it's beautiful topography too. I'm just amazed at what is happening to the southern end of Salt Lake Valley, and the northern end of Utah Valley.

WASDEN Jun 29, 2008 7:09 PM

Looks like another lame "lifestyle center" to me.

delts145 Jun 29, 2008 8:31 PM

I would definately not say lame Wasden, but I do think I understand a little bit what you're saying. Just looking at the rendering and what facilities are to be included, I think it will be a big plus for that area of the Valley. If I were to be able to make any change based just on the rendering, I would pepper the Village Core with some strategically located architectural focal points. Something like a Neo-Classical Courthouse/library of sorts etc. Something to give the Village a layered feel. In France and Italy, even the sameness of certain style's is broken up often with iconic, architectural focal points. These focal points really set the whole tone of the village as unique and beautiful.
For example, notice that brown building to the left side of the rendering. That's one spot that could use something taller, with some attractive and intricate Neo Classical, Georgian, or whatever details.

WASDEN Jun 29, 2008 10:17 PM

Don't get me wrong Delts, its a lot better than say- a big box style development- but I still don't like it. Comparing these new age developments to a town center you would find in Europe is like comparing Venice Italy to the Venetian Las Vegas. One of these is going to meet the wrecking ball for something bigger and better while another merits a multi billion dollar dike for it preservation. Great cities develop organically over time, you don't just come in, drop a billion bucks, and give a city a heart/soul. Besides, not pictured behind all the cute mock-up facades in the rendering is a vast expanse of asphalt where the good people of Herriman are leaving behind their Excursions to access the artificial heart of their city. Hardly like in Europe where you can live ABOVE your local baker, walk down to the town square, hang out and have a drink. One of these mentalities favors authenticity and sustainability, the other just simply tries to appear that way.

If we really want to leave behind the Big-box retailer/strip mall age then lets do just that. These "towne centers" are the same old idea only the parkings in the rear.

delts145 Jun 30, 2008 2:00 AM

I wasn't aware that behind those so called phony fronts lurked a vast sea of asphault. I had just assumed, as I first pointed out that Sorenson would be offering a classier set-up.

As a European I would not presume that American's are incapable of developing a charming and beautiful city center at this juncture in time. Especially given what I'm seeing from developments such as The Cottonwood, CCC, Market Station and others that are now coming on line.

To imply or somehow try to lecture a European on how Europe is the answer to Urban Utopia is hilarious to me. I've lived above bakeries, and a myriad of commercial enterprises in both American cities and my own native Europe. Yes, the Wasatch needs more of that type of urban living. not because it is the only 'true urban religion,' and we should all just worship at the altar of that one 'true urban god,' but because people should have choices.

As a former European I cherish having a full plate of American choices. I relish the soon to be realized opportunity of having an electric or at least a very affordable CNG fueled vehicle, that will hold more than two people if I need. I love how this area is not only developing an efficient freeway, and surface street system in order to commute to work if necessary, but also an effective mass-transit alternative for those who choose. I relish the thought of the convenience of having all my shopping and office needs as close as a few minutes away. And unlike the overwhelming majority of my fellow Europeans, I like having the opportunity to own a reasonably comfortable detached house w/yard in which to raise a family of more than one child, if I should so choose.

I would hope that Wasatch Fronters will continue to have a developing metro that will encourage a broad range of choices, and not fall under the pseudo-glamourized tourist view that somehow Europe is Urban Utopia. Most Europeans have given up a tremendous amount of freedom of choice in their mode of travel and the type of dwelling they can choose to live in. Those are choices and options only for the wealthy in Europe

Let's shatter another little myth about my native Paris or former Roman and Venetian homes. These are beautiful cities that I am as familiar with as the back of my hand. But let's get real. Much of that so-called organic development created over many centuries of time is a lot of fairy tale. If not destroyed by war and invasion or fire, much of what would have been considered architectural treasures, pre-dating today's European structures, fell to the wrecking ball of their day. It was the habit of rulers to regularly destroy entire large sections of cities and their architectural treasures, in order to erect their own idea of self worshiping homage. This was typically accomplised in one giant swoop of the septor. I'll take here and now with community input, a city council, a Mayor Becker or a CCC over a long list of Napolean like Kings and Anarchists, who would throw down what would be trillions in todays dollars to create their lifestyle centers. All while often bankrupting a nation and using an impoverished, slave labor/general populace to build them. ;)

i-215 Jun 30, 2008 2:56 AM

Very well put.

Future Mayor Jun 30, 2008 1:12 PM

I second 215 on that one.

Very well said Delts. :worship:

wrendog Jun 30, 2008 4:14 PM

I agree with Delts. Now, can you say "native" and "european" one more time? :)

RC14 Jun 30, 2008 5:51 PM

^^
^^
^^
^^
Agreed!!

urbanboy Jun 30, 2008 6:18 PM

I agree with you as well Delts!
I want to expound on your point about choice. Utahns have had the choice of a single family detached home for a long time. Although, there haven't been many options for those of us who prefer to live in walkable transit oriented neighborhoods. Now, with a new focus towards sustainability and efficiency, we are seeing more and more choices in transportation and Housing. However, by comparison, the availability of a single family detached home is substantially higher than any other type of housing. It is likely that in Utah, the cumulative of these other options, would not amount to the accessibility of the detached single family home. This is where I see an injustice to society. Furthermore, the resulting sprawl is an injustice to the environment. I think there should be responsible limits and boundaries to the footprint of a city, depending on the environmental makeup of that location, and the population, and avoid having an excessive availability of single family houses (the least sustainable type of housing).

Orlando Jun 30, 2008 7:34 PM

mega suburan/rural developments are evil!

Quote:

Originally Posted by delts145 (Post 3642929)

:banana: Wow Steve, Very nice!! I like the design element a lot. I'm also elated to hear that Sorenson is involved. That means BIG money and DEEP pockets, which is something that will carry this project to its fruition. That particular area is very impressive for it's beautiful topography too. I'm just amazed at what is happening to the southern end of Salt Lake Valley, and the northern end of Utah Valley.

You guys confuse me!! :sly: You say you like to see taller skyscrapers in SLC, when it seems like you guys like any new big development anywhere! Any hope of seeing tall skyscrapers like in Louisvill, Omaha, or Des Moines (all cities with comparable or smaller metro populations, but have a focused central downtown core with 40 to 50 story highrises) are with regional urban planning that discourages building further away! C'mon, this huge mega development will further emphasize urban sprawl!!!!!!!!!
It will continue to take away any hope of establishing a great downtown in Salt Lake City. The Proscenium project in Sandy, the Gehry project in Lehi, and this 1 billion$ project in Herrimam????(newly developed suburb as far away in the Salt Lake Valley as you could possibly develop from downtown) are all projects that will not help to boast a vibrant metro core!!!!! What's next???? A huge mega development in Eagle Mountain!!!??!!!:slob: :slob: :slob:

SLC Projects Jun 30, 2008 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando (Post 3644762)
What's next???? A huge mega development in Eagle Mountain!!!??!!!:slob: :slob: :slob:

That wouldn't surprise me. Every city no matter how big or how small they all want their own "City Center" or "City Core" within their city.
I look at it like a rat race. Each city looks at the other city and tries to develop something bigger or better. Or to at least have something of their own. Every city wants to have something they can show off and say to people "Come spend your money here, we have it." Or live here or bring your business here. It all just comes down to city leaders and developers wanting to make the most out of their buck. All and all development is a business. :yes:
We are starting to see more and more new mix-use developments these days since we now have Trax lines and a frontrunner line going up and down the metro.
The Herrimam project came as a surprise to me, but yet it shouldn't of been since Herrimam is another fast growing city filled with new housing with people who don't really want to have to drive all the way to Sandy or West Jordan to do their shopping or see a movie or whatever. Not these days with gas at $4 a gallon.

urbanboy Jun 30, 2008 9:03 PM

Yes Projects, I completely agree. I sounds like people are moving out to these places because land is cheeper and housing is more affordable. To counteract this or prevent further sprawl and inefficiency, we need more affordable housing in Downtown Salt Lake City and near mass transit, also people should be constantly reminded to think long term not just short term, when making housing decisions (long term cost analysis vs. short term cost).

i-215 Jun 30, 2008 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando (Post 3644762)
What's next???? A huge mega development in Eagle Mountain!!!??!!!:slob: :slob: :slob:

Actually, it would be an improvement. Right now there is "NO" employment out there, unless you work for City Hall or a school.

Honestly, if I was in the state legislature, I'd require all cities to be "job balanced" within 3-miles radius(s). That means there have to be enough jobs within 3 miles of home developments to sustain the population that lives there.

While it wouldn't prevent commuting, it would give families choices to they can actually live next to their jobs. It also slows sprawl in cases like Eagle Mountain where the city is 100% commuter. It would require the jobs to go in before the houses.

Then it's win-win. Everyone gets their nice slice of suburbia, without the horrible commute.

delts145 Jul 1, 2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 3644812)
That wouldn't surprise me. Every city no matter how big or how small they all want their own "City Center" or "City Core" within their city...
I look at it like a rat race. Each city looks at the other city and tries to develop something bigger or better. Or to at least have something of their own. Every city wants to have something they can show off and say to people "Come spend your money here, we have it." Or live here or bring your business here. It all just comes down to city leaders and developers wanting to make the most out of their buck. All and all development is a business. :yes:
We are starting to see more and more new mix-use developments these days since we now have Trax lines and a frontrunner line going up and down the metro.
The Herrimam project came as a surprise to me, but yet it shouldn't of been since Herrimam is another fast growing city filled with new housing with people who don't really want to have to drive all the way to Sandy or West Jordan to do their shopping or see a movie or whatever. Not these days with gas at $4 a gallon.

A lot of excellent points Projects. Another critical factor, perhaps more bottom-line than any other, is the city having the capacity to collect tax revenue from these commercial/mixed centers. For many decades Murray was the envy of many communities in the Valley. It's centralized location made it a perfect draw for large commercial centers, which in turn collected a hefty tax income for the benefit of its 35,000 plus residents. Those residents all enjoyed some of the most excellent and affordable city services, yet at the same time had one of the lowest property tax levels of any city in the metro. No community, not even an Alpine or Eagle Mtn. a Highland, Herriman or Draper can afford to be solely a bedroom community. The residents demand convenience, as you pointed out, and a tolerable tax burden.

SLC Projects Jul 1, 2008 8:26 PM

Northshore @ Daybreak is now open.
Video Link

UTAZLoVer Jul 1, 2008 9:02 PM

:previous: Very cool! I think I like this third village the best so far! Those Garbett Homes townhomes are pretty cool and kind of toss things up from all the traditional architecture found in the other homes.

arkhitektor Jul 1, 2008 9:20 PM

Thanks for the excellent video. Come to think of it, I think I saw you there over the weekend with your camera :-)

I've spent the better part of my professional life for the past two years developing plans for our townhomes and single family homes at Daybreak, so its nice to see what I do at work each day on the forum.

Let's all go out and buy one of Arkhitektor's townhomes: :tup:

www.hamlethomes.com

delts145 Jul 1, 2008 9:24 PM

:cool: Very cool Projects. Thanks for the tour, also a big hello to the wifey.

Ark, we're going to have to think of a hamlet-related nickname for you. :tup:

urbanboy Jul 2, 2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkhitektor (Post 3647393)

Let's all go out and buy one of Arkhitektor's townhomes: :tup:

www.hamlethomes.com

Just don't plant a vegetable garden. :haha: We all know the real reason they don't allow residents to swim in the lake.

SLC Projects Jul 2, 2008 6:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkhitektor (Post 3647393)
Thanks for the excellent video. Come to think of it, I think I saw you there over the weekend with your camera :-)

Yea I was the guy stepping on the flowers while walking along a fence with my camera. :haha:

I really did like the Townhouses. It gives that area of Daybreak more of a Urban feel. While touring some of these homes one of the top complains I was over hearing from people were "it's too small" Like the yards or the bedrooms.

I really do like the daybreak area and what it is becoming. I'm hearing that daybreak will soon have it's own shops and retail. Can't wait to see those come online. :tup:

gbb Jul 2, 2008 5:38 PM

North Shore is definitely pushing density to a different level at Daybreak. It has a much more urban twist to it, and with the street corner shops they are planning in that area it will end up having somewhat of a 9th and 9th feel. The added density will be part of what is driving the costs down and making the rooms smaller. Earlier projections had the total number of homes at Daybreak around 13,000, newer ones are putting that at closer to 20,000. So this new density will be a large part of how that will be accomplished. But as a Daybreak resident, I think it is great to add even more options to a great community.

SLC Projects Jul 3, 2008 5:46 PM

RSL's new live webcam!

Live shot of the new stadium. Most the seats are in and there is green grass.
http://rslstadium.com/webcam.html

Also speaking of RSL if they win tonight they will be in first place of the west. That will be a first for that team. Go RSL!

delts145 Jul 4, 2008 1:06 PM

Gateway in Kearns? - Local leader believes the corner of 5600 West and 4700 South could sprout a Jordan Landing or Gateway mall

http://origin.sltrib.com/ci_9778104

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...~1_Gallery.jpg
Charles Henderson, Chairman of the Kearns Economic and Development Committee, shows a map of the section the Salt Lake County plans to redevelop. (Brenda Morfin/The Salt Lake Tribune )

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...~2_Gallery.jpg
Salt Lake County plans to redevelop the corner of 5600 West and 4700 South where a lot of the property is run down and largely abandoned by its previous industrial owners. Some of the businesses still there are junk yards and auto parts lots. (Brenda Morfin/The Salt Lake Tribune )

Imagine this: a sizzling shopping district in northwest Kearns with department stores, loft housing and maybe a TRAX station along an old railroad line.
It's a difficult image to conjure up these days - especially when standing on the weed-clogged corner of 4700 South and 5600 West, where rust-splotched tracks, an abandoned warehouse and lines of chain-link fence topped with barbed wire have left an industrial stain on the property.
But Charles Henderson, chairman of the township's economic-development committee, believes the 75-acre property someday could sprout another Jordan Landing or Gateway mall - a "destination"-type development that would create jobs and capture tax dollars now slipping out of Kearns.

delts145 Jul 4, 2008 1:47 PM

Park City - Temple Har Shalom is Park City's first synagogue

http://www.parkrecord.com/scene/ci_9756477

http://www.templeharshalom.com/image...outh_Large.jpg
South Elevation

http://www.templeharshalom.com/images/Elevations_1.jpg

http://www.templeharshalom.com/images/Elevations_2.jpg

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...le_Gallery.jpg

http://www.templeharshalom.com/images/THS_logo.gif

Visit this link for a more detailed photo tour of construction. Also, it gives a better idea of angular features,
at least until the pics are updated on the finished project

http://www.templeharshalom.com/

i-215 Jul 4, 2008 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delts145 (Post 3653054)
Gateway in Kearns? - Local leader believes the corner of 5600 West and 4700 South could sprout a Jordan Landing or Gateway mall

http://origin.sltrib.com/ci_9778104

Charles Henderson, Chairman of the Kearns Economic and Development Committee, shows a map of the section the Salt Lake County plans to redevelop. (Brenda Morfin/The Salt Lake Tribune )

[
Salt Lake County plans to redevelop the corner of 5600 West and 4700 South where a lot of the property is run down and largely abandoned by its previous industrial owners. Some of the businesses still there are junk yards and auto parts lots. (Brenda Morfin/The Salt Lake Tribune )

Imagine this: a sizzling shopping district in northwest Kearns with department stores, loft housing and maybe a TRAX station along an old railroad line.
It's a difficult image to conjure up these days - especially when standing on the weed-clogged corner of 4700 South and 5600 West, where rust-splotched tracks, an abandoned warehouse and lines of chain-link fence topped with barbed wire have left an industrial stain on the property.
But Charles Henderson, chairman of the township's economic-development committee, believes the 75-acre property someday could sprout another Jordan Landing or Gateway mall - a "destination"-type development that would create jobs and capture tax dollars now slipping out of Kearns.

Good location ... except the new freeway won't have an exit at 4700 South - but it will pass right by it! :tup:

Makid Jul 4, 2008 7:45 PM

But when they do put BRT and later Trax down 5600, it will have a stop right there :)

Btw, this corner is a 5 min walk from where I currently live.

T-Mac Jul 4, 2008 8:21 PM

Market Station in South Salt Lake.
I drove by this morning and took a couple quick photos.

I am part of a group that does a little hard money lending and this development by Hamlet Homes is something that we are looking at participating in. I had to take some photos this morning for my group so I thought I would share. It is on Plymouth Ave and is called Waverly Station by Hamlet Homes. Right next to the TRAX line and walking distance to the Meadowbrook Station. Here they are.

arkhitektor Jul 8, 2008 10:33 PM

Thanks for the pictures from Waverly Station. Its always nice to see Hamlet's projects show up on the forum. We also have another townhome community going in a few blocks north of Waverly near the 3300 S. TRAX Station called Huntly Manor. The first building is in framing right now and models will be open later this summer:

http://www.hamlethomes.com/SiteData/...ElevationA.jpg
http://www.hamlethomes.com/communiti...le.aspx?cid=19

Also, it was mentioned earlier on the forum that a Sunflower Farmer's Market was moving into the old electronics store across from Fashion Place. Its open now and I went there to get lunch today. Not quite the variety of products you'll find at Whole Foods, but pretty close, and at prices closer to what you'd find at Wal-Mart. Check it out if you're in the area. I think that they are opening a store in Orem later this year as well:

http://www.sfmarkets.com/logo_images...HRFU4X8L91.GIF
http://www.sfmarkets.com/

SLC Projects Jul 8, 2008 11:37 PM

IHC Office building update.

IHC 9-story Office Building Update!
Murray

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5117/ufo003tp7.jpg

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/4386/ufo004ft5.jpg

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/3058/ufo002oj0.jpg

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/1639/ufo001jh4.jpg

leerjet Jul 9, 2008 4:48 PM

City council to approve final deal on Cottonwood Mall

There's a video of some of the demo work posted here:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3715389

delts145 Jul 9, 2008 6:14 PM

Nice shots Projects, I had forgotten that they were still working on this Center. Thanks, :D

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/3058/ufo002oj0.jpg

arkhitektor Jul 9, 2008 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 3660956)

I like the style and detailing on this building a lot.
Build the same thing downtown but 4 times as high and I'd love for it to be our new tallest.

SLC Projects Jul 9, 2008 8:11 PM

Breaking News...........

RSL to host All-star game in new stadium!

Major League Soccer's All-Star game to be held in Utah
July 9th, 2008 @ 3:45pm
By John Daley and Randall Jeppesen

Utah's Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise is making plans to host a major league event in its new stadium next summer. Real Salt Lake (RSL) will host the MLS All-Star game in 2009. The team made that announcement here this afternoon.

They also took the opportunity to show off their new facility, which boasts two-week-old sod and, though it's a little tough to see through the smog today, world-class views of the mountains.

With each day, RSL's new stadium in Sandy gets closer to opening, and the team, which has endured controversy over the project, is ready to trumpet its completion.

Today, RSL announced that the MLS All-Star game is coming to town next summer.

Gov. Jon Huntsman said, "From a sport promotion standpoint, this is another step up in proving the point that we are in fact a world class destination."

It's a $110 million project, $65 million of that came from private funds. The rest is public money, including $35 million in county hotel taxes, which was what the controversy was mostly about.

The lawmaker who engineered the deal to put the stadium in his home town makes no apologies about being an advocate for soccer. Utah House Speaker Greg Curtis said, "I did this for the kids. I said sometimes you have to do something for the younger generation when they don't have a voice."

The stadium will host its first Real Salt Lake game in October and then the Major League Soccer All-Star game next summer.

Owner of Real Salt Lake Dave Checketts said, "It is a beautiful stadium. It's coming together very quickly, and we will have the best players from the world playing on this field around Pioneer Day next year 2009." Checketts hopes soccer powerhouse Real Madrid could be the opponent for that game.

Jason Kreis, Real Salt Lake's coach, said he's tempted to bring back his legendary goal celebration when the team moves to the new stadium for good. When asked if we would see some of the famous Jason Kreis back flips, Kreis replied, "You know, it could be the first time you see Jason Kreis in a suit, doing a back flip. We win our first game out there, and maybe I'll do that for everybody."

Construction crews are feverishly working on getting all the work done on the stadium.

Negotiations continue regarding naming rights for this stadium. A representative for the team says the 15-year deal may bring in roughly $2 million a year.

T-Mac Jul 9, 2008 8:51 PM

That's great news.

i-215 Jul 10, 2008 12:09 AM

We'll see if the team is still in Salt Lake by then. :rolleyes:

scrapernerd Jul 10, 2008 12:19 AM

getting shots

Well i was up near alta view hospital at the clinic north of it getting allergy shots and they had a big tent up for a ground breaking the picture looked to be about 3 stories and it will have office space and a surgical center in it. off topic did you know they had this :borg: it reminded me of the new court house

urbane Jul 10, 2008 4:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delts145 (Post 3645408)
A lot of excellent points Projects. Another critical factor, perhaps more bottom-line than any other, is the city having the capacity to collect tax revenue from these commercial/mixed centers. For many decades Murray was the envy of many communities in the Valley. It's centralized location made it a perfect draw for large commercial centers, which in turn collected a hefty tax income for the benefit of its 35,000 plus residents. Those residents all enjoyed some of the most excellent and affordable city services, yet at the same time had one of the lowest property tax levels of any city in the metro. No community, not even an Alpine or Eagle Mtn. a Highland, Herriman or Draper can afford to be solely a bedroom community. The residents demand convenience, as you pointed out, and a tolerable tax burden.

I don't think anyone deserves to live out there in the first place. If you choose to live in BFE then you deserve to pay the price. Communities that are closer to the core have all of their infrastructure in place. Herriman or Eagle Mountain would deserve to have higher taxes and utility costs. The tax burden should not be placed on developed/established communities.

delts145 Jul 10, 2008 4:49 AM

The point was that these communities are establishing commercial districts, lifestyle centers, assisted living centers, business parks for their residents, etc. etc. etc. in order to lower or mitigate the tax burden, not solely for bragging rights.

It wasn't that long ago that South Salt Lake was rural, or even Millcreek and Holladay. As time progresses, these areas will become even more urban. In L.A., some of the denser areas of the basin, such as Century City and Hollywood were the more rural areas of the city only a few decades ago. There are countless areas in every major metro that were once rural, that are now very urban, including Manhattan or Brooklyn.