SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Salt Lake MSA Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150265)

DMTower Jan 25, 2016 5:33 PM

One redeeming quality is it at least seems to be built on a grid. So, in 5-10 years when they realize they made a mistake by not going mixed-use, they can at least add in other uses without completely ripping up all of the infrastructure.

delts145 Jan 31, 2016 1:53 PM

Park City real estate market grows in 2015

http://www.parkrecord.com/park_city-...ket-grows-2015

...With 2015 officially in the rear-view mirror, Park City's Realtors can mark it down as another year of solid growth.

According to information from the Park City Board of Realtors, the number of closed sales and the median sales price of single family homes,
condominiums and vacant lots rose in 2015 compared to the previous year. 2015 saw a 10-percent increase in total dollar volume,...

..."It's good that it wasn't just our first year of a positive trend," he said. "We've been trending that way for the last five or six years...

...clients tell me they've reached a certain point in their life that now is the time for them to buy because they've done well over the last five years,
and that dip in the market we've had in 2016 has made them feel like they're done with all that now and that it's time for them to move to Park City full-time."

Ironweed Feb 9, 2016 6:49 AM

More Sprawl

Look at this mess:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...velopment.html

Great stuff, I suppose if you like more traffic, more pollution, just more yuck. :yuck:

airhero Feb 9, 2016 4:14 PM

That's awful but the average person will love it. I feel so lonely in the world when I see proposals like this.

jedikermit Feb 9, 2016 5:48 PM

Gross. So short-sighted.

Liberty Wellsian Feb 9, 2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironweed (Post 7329086)
Look at this mess:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...velopment.html

Great stuff, I suppose if you like more traffic, more pollution, just more yuck. :yuck:

meh It's Riverton. I'm cool with it. Hopefully we get more density in the North part of the valley. Riverton can be uber suburban, whatever.

Wasatch Wasteland Feb 9, 2016 11:32 PM

The way I look at it, the more and more of these types of developments there are, the faster the valley fills up, meaning the sooner there can be some REAL infill and redevelopment. Not the four story wood-built nastiness and tacky office parks that the valley has been getting, but something truly innovative, sustainable, and progressive.

I know its a rather dark approach, but developers won't change until the market and the available land changes.

Stenar Feb 10, 2016 1:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airhero (Post 7329349)
That's awful but the average person will love it. I feel so lonely in the world when I see proposals like this.

I'm not a fan, but at least they're developing it more like Daybreak and not the typical suburban development.

My one concern is that there is only one road into Riverton (besides the highways). People who work north of Riverton all take 12600 S to get home. People who work south of Riverton mostly seem to take Bangerter.

12600 is overloaded now as it is and I think the majority of these people living in these new houses are going to take 12600 S, which is a real problem.

The city should have had more foresight to save land along the 11800 S and 13400 S corridors to make those into streets that go through the entire length of Riverton. If you're just trying to get around Riverton and not commuting home, you mainly have to drive on 12600 S, which is impossible during rush hour.

I think UDOT should build a freeway connector between I-215 and Bangerter, which would make getting to the west side much easier from downtown. It's less than 2 miles.

http://i66.tinypic.com/r8fabk.png

UTPlanner Feb 10, 2016 2:45 AM

I'm not a proponent of green field development, however, I am a fan of an expanded rail transit system. The fact that a very influential group with the legislature is developing this property, I think the state may find a way to extend the red and blue TRAX lines.

UrbanDesign Feb 10, 2016 3:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stenar (Post 7330131)
I think UDOT should build a freeway connector between I-215 and Bangerter, which would make getting to the west side much easier from downtown. It's less than 2 miles.

The idea of a connector would greatly help for travelers going E/W in the central valley. The location you have is right next to 5400 S which is currently a flex lane that can have up to 4 lanes in either direction with an additional turning lane. Also they are planning on adding an I-215 exit at 5400 S, which should help people get to/from Bangerter easily like you're illustration shows.

Also, I don't think adding a connector, in addition to the proposed changes for 5400 S, in this built out neighborhood would be the best idea. Maybe because my neighborhood is in the middle of your red line and I don't want a freeway there, but also because I think the 5400 S exit will greatly help when it's built.

It's too bad the state didn't have more foresight and plan for more E/W connection throughout the valley...

Stenar Feb 10, 2016 4:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanDesign (Post 7330214)

Also, I don't think adding a connector, in addition to the proposed changes for 5400 S, in this built out neighborhood would be the best idea. Maybe because my neighborhood is in the middle of your red line and I don't want a freeway there, but also because I think the 5400 S exit will greatly help when it's built.

It's too bad the state didn't have more foresight and plan for more E/W connection throughout the valley...

I think it needs to be a freeway without lights to keep traffic flowing.

Liberty Wellsian Feb 10, 2016 7:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stenar (Post 7330131)
I'm not a fan, but at least they're developing it more like Daybreak and not the typical suburban development.

My one concern is that there is only one road into Riverton (besides the highways). People who work north of Riverton all take 12600 S to get home. People who work south of Riverton mostly seem to take Bangerter.

12600 is overloaded now as it is and I think the majority of these people living in these new houses are going to take 12600 S, which is a real problem.

The city should have had more foresight to save land along the 11800 S and 13400 S corridors to make those into streets that go through the entire length of Riverton. If you're just trying to get around Riverton and not commuting home, you mainly have to drive on 12600 S, which is impossible during rush hour.

From downtown you take I-80 to Bangerter. From SSL you take 201 to Bangerter. I do agree though that there needs to be a better midvalley connection.

Stenar Feb 10, 2016 7:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian (Post 7330338)
From downtown you take I-80 to Bangerter. From SSL you take 201 to Bangerter. I do agree though that there needs to be a better midvalley connection.

Not everyone comes from downtown or SSL.

Makid Feb 10, 2016 1:10 PM

There was a plan or idea about 10-15 years ago that would have a freeway expansion going West from the curve on 215 West. It would have gone a bit South and then West just South of 6200 South.

The plan was to have it connect to Bangerter (as a freeway). There was also an alignment that would have extended it further West to another highway, what is now the MVC.

There was also a penciled in route further South again, around 130th South for the same thing (Bangerter connects at roughly this location currently). They just need to add an interchange around the curve at 132nd South and continue West to the MVC.

There will be an eventual connection in Lehi between I-15 and the MVC but there does need to be 1 if not 2 additional connections between I-15 and the MVC within SL County.

If they don't do a freeway, even with increased transit (Trax/BRT), the southern part of the County will be a traffic nightmare.

Liberty Wellsian Feb 10, 2016 1:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stenar (Post 7330352)
Not everyone comes from downtown or SSL.

You said from downtown? I agreed that there needs to be a better midvalley connection. I simply pointed out that from downtown getting to Bangerter isn't that bad. So....

slc801 Feb 11, 2016 4:45 AM

Wow, well this is about the worst possible scenario that I could have imagined for the Granite High building

Old Granite High building could be replaced by Wal-Mart
http://kutv.com/news/local/old-grani...ed-by-wal-mart

Stenar Feb 11, 2016 7:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian (Post 7330419)
You said from downtown? I agreed that there needs to be a better midvalley connection. I simply pointed out that from downtown getting to Bangerter isn't that bad. So....

I was generalizing, referring to the north half of SL County.

Also, I never go west on I-80 or 201 to Bangerter when I need to reach the west side from downtown. It feels too far out of my way, not to mention that 201 is packed during rush hour, too.

jedikermit Feb 11, 2016 2:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slc801 (Post 7331709)
Wow, well this is about the worst possible scenario that I could have imagined for the Granite High building

Old Granite High building could be replaced by Wal-Mart
http://kutv.com/news/local/old-grani...ed-by-wal-mart

Yeah. That makes me sick.

Liberty Wellsian Feb 11, 2016 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stenar (Post 7331812)

Also, I never go west on I-80 or 201 to Bangerter when I need to reach the west side from downtown. It feels too far out of my way, not to mention that 201 is packed during rush hour, too.

I'm kinda oblivious to rush hour. I live in SLC so I'm usually home eating dinner. I mostly head south or west to visit family/friends but that is usually later or on the weekends.

UrbanDesign Feb 12, 2016 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stenar (Post 7331812)

I drive the 201 almost daily and it's almost never packed during rush hour. Most of the time traffic is at the speed limit until the I-215 interchange and slows down some as you approach. It always seems to be much less congested than I-15 to 5300 S. I definitely prefer the 201 to I-15 any day of the week!