SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Great Canadian Skyline Thread II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=222250)

caltrane74 Apr 19, 2016 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreambrother808 (Post 7413296)
Condé Nast has a list of the world's 10 best skylines. Vancouver is the only Canadian city to make the list. The pic they've chosen is odd though, as the mountains are partially covered in fog and it's not a current view.

Condé Nast

It's not odd at all, it was chosen because of it's scenic beauty, same goes for Hong Kong, Rio, and Capetown.

franktko Apr 19, 2016 9:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreambrother808 (Post 7413296)
Condé Nast has a list of the world's 10 best skylines. Vancouver is the only Canadian city to make the list. The pic they've chosen is odd though, as the mountains are partially covered in fog and it's not a current view.

Condé Nast

Cape Town? Budapest? Yeah, that list is odd :P

rousseau Apr 19, 2016 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caltrane74 (Post 7413430)
It's not odd at all, it was chosen because of it's scenic beauty, same goes for Hong Kong, Rio, and Capetown.

Hong Kong actually does have a magnificent skyline, though. But yeah, like most lists, it's ridiculous. Shanghai, Capetown and Vancouver have no business being in a skyline top ten, and Budapest and Paris are eccentric choices but still kinda silly. Dubai isn't beautiful per se, though it is interesting in a crazy way. But most importantly, you cannot make a list of beautiful skylines without including Chicago. Ever.

That's like drawing up a list of the top ten ethnic groups that make matzo ball soup and not including Jews. It's pointless, and not even amusing as some kind of bizarre joke. But we clicked on the link. Or at least, I did. So they win. And we lose.

I should go into the business of making top ten lists. There must be money in it.

dreambrother808 Apr 19, 2016 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caltrane74 (Post 7413430)
It's not odd at all, it was chosen because of it's scenic beauty, same goes for Hong Kong, Rio, and Capetown.

Obviously, they clearly stated that some were chosen for natural beauty. What was odd is that they didn't choose a picture which highlighted that very well.

logan5 Apr 19, 2016 10:20 PM

Shanghai is insane...

http://content.paulreiffer.com/wp-co...ul_Reiffer.jpg

koops65 Apr 19, 2016 10:56 PM

Southcore skyline:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/56NV7wm.png[/IMG]

Humber Bay skyline:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Zv9606z.png[/IMG]

Chadillaccc Apr 20, 2016 12:28 AM

I wasn't sure where to put this, but as this is a popular thread I thought it semi pertinent to throw it here. Thought it was pretty funny...

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...fa&oe=577D746D

lio45 Apr 20, 2016 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 7413455)
Hong Kong actually does have a magnificent skyline, though. But yeah, like most lists, it's ridiculous. Shanghai, Capetown and Vancouver have no business being in a skyline top ten, and Budapest and Paris are eccentric choices but still kinda silly. Dubai isn't beautiful per se, though it is interesting in a crazy way. But most importantly, you cannot make a list of beautiful skylines without including Chicago. Ever.

That's like drawing up a list of the top ten ethnic groups that make matzo ball soup and not including Jews. It's pointless, and not even amusing as some kind of bizarre joke. But we clicked on the link. Or at least, I did. So they win. And we lose.

I should go into the business of making top ten lists. There must be money in it.

Paris on that list, that's ridiculous. The city has essentially no skyline to speak of -- let alone a global top ten skyline.

It has nice attractions and a good urban fabric, but it's not a "skyline" city at all. I don't need to see more to already declare this list to be complete BS.

lio45 Apr 20, 2016 12:54 AM

I learned on SSP (some years ago) that Yellowknife was Canada's sunniest city.

The rest of Canada must have even less sun than no sun ever, whatever that means :P

Beedok Apr 20, 2016 1:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 7413455)
Shanghai, Capetown and Vancouver have no business being in a skyline top ten

Shanghai has every reason to be on a top ten. Any top ten without Shanghai would be suspicious to me, unless you're working on a metric that ignores both height and quantity.

dreambrother808 Apr 20, 2016 1:10 AM

What people are missing with regard to the skyline rating is that each was chosen based upon distinction, not comparative features. For example, the drama of the Parisian skyline is the Eiffel Tower, as almost a standalone sculpture. Vancouver is modern glass towers against a rugged mountain backdrop. Rio is exotic, unparalleled, natural features. Each city on that list excels at their own specific category. That's why there is no Chicago, because it is surpassed by New York, in its category. No reason to be pissy about something that is so obvious, folks. Vancouver is standout on a worldwide scale. Toronto and other Canadian skylines are standout on a national level based upon those categories. Trust me, talk to pretty much any tourist in Vancouver and they will validate that sense of awe and appreciation of that which is exceptional on a worldwide level. I'm sorry but Vancouver has some tail-feathers to shake. If y'all can't take it, it's your own problem.

lio45 Apr 20, 2016 1:18 AM

Wait, you're saying that a lame tower that was designed and built to be temporary (and ended up getting kept mostly because it was useful as a radio transmission tower), if erected in the middle of nowhere, would single-handedly propel the aforementioned middle of nowhere to the world's top ten global skylines?

dreambrother808 Apr 20, 2016 1:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 7413715)
Wait, you're saying that a lame tower that was designed and built to be temporary (and ended up getting kept mostly because it was useful as a radio transmission tower), if erected in the middle of nowhere, would single-handedly propel the aforementioned middle of nowhere to the world's top ten global skylines?

If that's your perception of Paris and the Eiffel Tower, well... I can't even... I know you support some ridiculous conservative shit on this forum, but this is perhaps your worst post.

Brizzy82 Apr 20, 2016 1:26 AM

this sub forum must be the only place in the world where what Lio posts could be considered "some ridiculous conservative shit"

lio45 Apr 20, 2016 1:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreambrother808 (Post 7413718)
If that's your perception of Paris and the Eiffel Tower, well... I can't even... I know you support some ridiculous conservative shit on this forum, but this is perhaps your worst post.

It's not "my perception" of the Eiffel Tower, it's fact -- look up the tower's history if you don't want to take my word that it was originally meant to be temporary.

How often have you been to Paris? Just curious.

A skyline is a bunch of skyscrapers. That's what it is.

If it's not about the skyscrapers then I am declaring this Wyoming barn to have a grander skyline than Manhattan. Doesn't that sound ridiculous to you? Not even a little?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...and_tetons.jpg

lio45 Apr 20, 2016 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brizzy82 (Post 7413724)
this sub forum must be the only place in the world where what Lio posts could be considered "some ridiculous conservative shit"

And yet the SSP Albertans find me anti-conservative as I'm not a big fan of extracting and burning fossil fuels for energy.

I guess I'm a centrist, all things considered... ;)

MolsonExport Apr 20, 2016 1:38 AM

I've been to Paris 8 times.

Great City, wonderful neighbourhoods, endless things to see and do, fantastic food and culture and museums, almost unparalleled history....

Skyscrapers and skyline? Meh. Not really. There is La Defense...which I haven't felt compelled to visit.

niwell Apr 20, 2016 1:38 AM

Cape Town isn't even the best skyline in South Africa, much less one of the best in the world. It is however one of the most beautiful cityscapes in the world. But I think there's a difference. Which I think kind of goes along with what lio is saying.


http://i.imgur.com/EmSty91.jpg?1

dreambrother808 Apr 20, 2016 1:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 7413734)
It's not "my perception" of the Eiffel Tower, it's fact -- look up the tower's history if you don't want to take my word that it was originally meant to be temporary.

How often have you been to Paris? Just curious.

A skyline is a bunch of skyscrapers. That's what it is.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...and_tetons.jpg

That pic is pure Hyperbole 101.

I've only been to Paris once, admittedly.

As for this "perception", your understanding is autistically literal.

It's already been noted that the criteria was not purely "a bunch of skyscrapers" but rather the overall effect, natural features included.

dreambrother808 Apr 20, 2016 1:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niwell (Post 7413744)
Cape Town isn't even the best skyline in South Africa, much less one of the best in the world. It is however one of the most beautiful cityscapes in the world. But I think there's a difference. Which I think kind of goes along with what lio is saying.


http://i.imgur.com/EmSty91.jpg?1

Way to omit all of the natural features and pic the worst possible angle.:notacrook:


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.