SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Great Canadian Skyline Thread II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=222250)

ainvan Apr 28, 2016 4:18 AM

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/...3b6d0145_h.jpg
Downtown Calgary by yurik_ryba, on Flickr

rousseau Apr 28, 2016 4:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ue (Post 7423458)
No, unequivocally no, is not an argument, sorry dude.

No, that was unequivocally and very obviously the exclamation point of the argument against Shanghai being one of the prettiest and/or most iconic skylines in the world (it's weird, bleak, etc.).

Though really, no argument is required for that last patently ridiculous thing you said about Shanghai being the modern-day 1920s/30s New York.

http://content.paulreiffer.com/wp-co...ul-Reiffer.jpg
http://content.paulreiffer.com/wp-co...ul-Reiffer.jpg

Shanghai's impressively large and remarkably silly-looking in an odd, robotically-ugly kinda way, and it's distinctive for that in the way that quite a few Chinese cities are, but it's no New York.

Now, the old Bund of the 1930s was elegant and Parisian-looking, for sure.

(I'll be excusing myself now from the Shanghai skyline discussion, so please talk amongst yourselves. Or not.)

logan5 Apr 28, 2016 4:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ue (Post 7423458)
No, unequivocally no, is not an argument, sorry dude.

If you have a god complex, it is.

jmt18325 Apr 28, 2016 5:45 AM

Shanghai has a really nice skyline.

Edit: Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Martin Mtl Apr 28, 2016 12:59 PM

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1528/2...b711dc51_h.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pyixel...-GEfSsn-Gw3y5u

Beedok Apr 28, 2016 1:02 PM

Melbourne, Sydeny and Seattle? Seriously? Toronto only gets on because the CN Tower was the tallest for a while. The Space Needle isn't really even part of the Seattle skyline, it's only a bit more relevant than the Eiffel Tower is for the Paris Skyline. As for Melbourne, I think you'd even have Australians fail to identify it, the same for Sydney if the Opera House (which really isn't a skyline feature) isn't visible. Even ignoring you distain for Chinese cities, there's still London easily, and various regional hitters. I mean if we're including Seattle and Sydney on one landmark then Tokyo gets in with any shot including the Tokyo tower and/or Mt. Fuji.

niwell Apr 28, 2016 2:29 PM

I've never really cared for the Melbourne skyline - it looks pretty awkward to me and the buildings aren't terribly attractive IMO. Sydney is well balanced but nothing to write home about.

I do think Seattle is one of the most underrated skylines in the world though. Not sure why but aesthetically it's always appealed to me.

Pinion Apr 28, 2016 7:55 PM

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1456/...cb4a3da8_h.jpgDrone Flight over BC Place by jenn chan, on Flickr

Monolith Apr 28, 2016 8:19 PM

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1672/...b836e387_h.jpg
MetroTown Night
by Will Feng, on Flickr Uploaded on April 27, 2016

Calgarian Apr 28, 2016 8:20 PM

Vancouver looking good again! that view probably looks amazing at night.

thomax Apr 28, 2016 8:22 PM

http://i.imgur.com/fTvMycU.jpg
Hamilton | 4/28/2016 by spidermase, on Instagram

TorontoDrew Apr 28, 2016 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion (Post 7424290)


This is definitely not the most flattering view of Vancouver. All of the buildings blend in way to much from this vantage point.

O-tacular Apr 28, 2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 7423494)
No, that was unequivocally and very obviously the exclamation point of the argument against Shanghai being one of the prettiest and/or most iconic skylines in the world (it's weird, bleak, etc.).

Though really, no argument is required for that last patently ridiculous thing you said about Shanghai being the modern-day 1920s/30s New York.

http://content.paulreiffer.com/wp-co...ul-Reiffer.jpg
http://content.paulreiffer.com/wp-co...ul-Reiffer.jpg

Shanghai's impressively large and remarkably silly-looking in an odd, robotically-ugly kinda way, and it's distinctive for that in the way that quite a few Chinese cities are, but it's no New York.

Now, the old Bund of the 1930s was elegant and Parisian-looking, for sure.

(I'll be excusing myself now from the Shanghai skyline discussion, so please talk amongst yourselves. Or not.)

This whole debate is ridiculous but I'll wade in none the less. That image of Shanghai looks straight out of the future. It may not be universally known yet but it will be. Seriously, that view with the river snaking around that cluster of crazy and beautiful supertalls combined with all the very unique and non North American looking other towers is stunning.

Question: Where are the bridges connecting both sides of the river?

TorontoDrew Apr 28, 2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-tacular (Post 7424507)

Question: Where are the bridges connecting both sides of the river?


There are 5 tunnels under the section shown above.

O-tacular Apr 28, 2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 7424525)
There are 5 tunnels under the section shown above.

Okay that makes more sense. See. City of the future!

giallo Apr 28, 2016 10:41 PM

There are a bunch of bridges connecting Pudong to Puxi as well. The most commonly used are the Nanpu Bridge and Lupu Bridge.

You can see the Lupu Bridge in the background.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8150/...86aa0328_h.jpgocean of by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr


I don't have any pictures of the Nanpu Bridge on hand, so here's a random one from Flickr.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3731/...7b36048a_h.jpgThe Nanpu Bridge by L-E-N-G, on Flickr

O-tacular Apr 28, 2016 10:46 PM

Thanks for sharing giallo. It's weird how the Lupu bridge ends in that circular off ramp. Is there something blocking it out of frame?

Also, I've always wondered how you pronounce Puxi? Is the x prominent or does it sound the way I think it sounds? :P

giallo Apr 28, 2016 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-tacular (Post 7424570)
Thanks for sharing giallo. It's weird how the Lupu bridge ends in that circular off ramp. Is there something blocking it out of frame?

Also, I've always wondered how you pronounce Puxi? Is the x prominent or does it sound the way I think it sounds? :P

No problem, O-tacular.

I think you mean the Nanpu bridge. And is there something blocking it? I'm not sure what you mean. It circles twice before breaking off in multiple directions.

Puxi is pronounced Poo-She.

mistercorporate Apr 28, 2016 10:58 PM

Shanghai may be a try hard city with over the top towers but the universal feedback ive heard from people whove actually visited and explored it is that its infrastructure makes New York look downtown 3rd world in comparison. Ironic, i know, but give credit where its due. Shanghai has a unique and impressive skyline.

giallo Apr 28, 2016 11:08 PM

There's no need for Shanghai to build a 632m skyscraper, and for that, yeah, I can see how it can come off as a "Look at me!" type city, but in reality, it's a place not unlike other major, large world cities. The one exception is that it recently came in to a lot of money quickly, and had A LOT of catching up to do. There are a lot of people moving here that need housing and to be moved around.

And yeah, the infrastructure here is ridiculous. I live a block away from FOUR different subway lines. I feel spoiled at times.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.