SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

jmt18325 Oct 26, 2019 11:53 PM

I bet I use the airport more than you do.....

Pinus Oct 26, 2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 8730415)
I bet I use the airport more than you do.....

Who cares. I do heaps of business and recreational flying annually, perhaps more than most and maybe even yourself. But that doesn't decide if an opinion is more valid than another, especially if it's in the form of a "mine is bigger than yours" tone.

esquire Oct 28, 2019 1:48 PM

Even if Winnipeg all of a sudden got half a dozen overseas flights (let's say to LHR, CDG, AMS, DXB, HKG, NRT), the reality is that most passengers would still have to connect somewhere if they were going to anyplace other than those 6 cities. The only airport in Canada with a large number of nonstop flights where you can go to a huge range of places without connecting is YYZ (honourable mentions to YUL and YVR), and it's hard to see that changing in the next 20 years.

IMO it's just the reality of the situation... you live in a somewhat isolated city of 750,000, you can't really expect nonstop flights to Mumbai or Minsk.

Biff Oct 28, 2019 2:21 PM

^^^^ I think you meant "Milan to Minsk"....no young girl is going to take an erotic journey from "Mumbai" to Minsk.

esquire Oct 28, 2019 2:23 PM

LOL

Thanks for the correction, I was grasping for the proper reference :)

hollywoodcory Oct 28, 2019 6:35 PM

WS is announcing a new YYC 787 route on Wednesday.

Probably BCN or an outside shot of FCO. Neither are currently connected to Western Canada, and WS could capture Western US connections as well.

http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-10...r-announcement

casper Oct 29, 2019 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 8731611)
WS is announcing a new YYC 787 route on Wednesday.

Probably BCN or an outside shot of FCO. Neither are currently connected to Western Canada, and WS could capture Western US connections as well.

http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-10...r-announcement

California has the same population as Canada. Calgary would be a great connecting point especially to some of the smaller centers.

casper Oct 29, 2019 3:55 AM

So it looks like Jetlines is now dead. What a silly attempt at creating an airline this was.

https://web.tmxmoney.com/article.php...&qm_symbol=JET

thenoflyzone Oct 29, 2019 1:52 PM

I'm shocked !

In other news, (you know, one involving a real airline !)

AF will add a 4th daily flight, 3x a week on CDG-YUL come summer 2020.

Next summer should look something like this.

AF 24x weekly YUL-CDG (increase from 21x weekly this summer)
TS 20x weekly YUL-CDG
AC 14x weekly YUL-CDG
Level 4x weekly YUL-ORY (increase from 3x weekly this summer)
Corsair 7x weekly YUL-ORY

Total: 69x weekly frequencies between YUL and Paris.

whywhyzee Oct 29, 2019 2:05 PM

AF is also reportedly expanding YYZ next summer, sounds like one additional frequency to total 11x weekly, though no details yet.

casper Oct 29, 2019 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8732328)
I'm shocked !

TS 20x weekly YUL-CDG
AC 14x weekly YUL-CDG

So they finally gave up on trying to fly the A380 into Montreal and are going to two smaller less premium heavy aircraft.

G.S MTL Oct 29, 2019 3:44 PM

Quote:

I'm shocked !

TS 20x weekly YUL-CDG
AC 14x weekly YUL-CDG

that 4th flight, do we know what aircraft type ?

G.S MTL Oct 29, 2019 3:47 PM

nevermind! I see they are all 777s

p_xavier Oct 29, 2019 4:31 PM

The Montréal-Paris demand is just amazing, and that's with all the other destinations in France from YUL.

SteelTown Oct 29, 2019 4:40 PM

Air cargo giant DHL Express plans $100-million expansion at Hamilton airport
The project will see its current sorting facility quadruple in size.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...ilton-airport/

Global air cargo giant DHL is planning a $100-million expansion at the Hamilton International Airport that will see its current sorting facility quadruple in size.

DHL Express moved to Hamilton in 2008 and now employs 225 people in a 50,000-square-foot facility.

The company announced this morning it will expand its facility to 200,000 square feet and add automatic sorting technology capable of processing 15,000 packages per hour. The expansion should also add more workers, but the expected number of new hires was not immediately clear.

The expansion makes sense given the Hamilton airport's potential to "become the cargo hub of Ontario," said the announcement from Andrew Williams, CEO of the company's Canadian branch.

City officials worked for close to two years to close the deal, said economic development head Glen Norton, who visited a DHL sorting hub in Germany with Mayor Fred Eisenberger during a trade mission last year.

"It's a pretty big deal for Hamilton," Norton said, pointing to construction jobs, new taxes and the city's share of improved revenue at the privately-operated, municipally-owned airport.

"Things will be happening very quickly, because DHL wants to be up-and-running by next year's Christmas rush."

The sorting facility is expected to deal primarily with small packages and letter mail, with international packages being moved quickly between countries. Right now, the existing facility sees two daily planes arrive with packages from an international hub in Cincinnati.

Flamborough-Glanbrook Tory MPP Donna Skelly lauded the news as more recognition of "how crucial Hamilton is as a gateway destination," noting other recent investments by Liburdi Group, Stryker Corporation and KF Aerospace.

The John C. Munro airport is already Canada's largest overnight cargo airport, with Purolator, UPS, Canada Post and Amazon also using the facility for cargo operations. Cargo service jumped from 438,924 kilograms in 2016 to 525,161 kilograms in 2018.

Passenger traffic has been harder to come by, however.

Private operator Tradeport took over management of the airport in 1996 with the stated goal of growing passenger traffic to one million people annually. That has only happened once so far — in 2003 — and annual passenger numbers were as low as 334,000 in 2016.

Since then, however, traveller traffic has jumped over 725,000 as of 2018.

The ongoing growth of cargo and logistics businesses at the airport is expected to finally kick-start the city's stalled plans for an airport employment growth district.

For example, developer Panattoni broke ground earlier this month on a $30-million warehouse in the area — without a tenant — on the strength of expected growth at the international airport.

Tradeport is also embarking on $38.8 million in infrastructure improvements — including upgrades to its main runway, taxiways and airfield lighting — to handle expected growth.

Alexcaban Oct 29, 2019 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whywhyzee (Post 8732334)
AF is also reportedly expanding YYZ next summer, sounds like one additional frequency to total 11x weekly, though no details yet.

If I look on the Air France flight schedule i'm seeing it at 14 weekly.

Quote:

I'm shocked !

TS 20x weekly YUL-CDG
AC 14x weekly YUL-CDG

TS is also up from last summer.

whywhyzee Oct 29, 2019 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexcaban (Post 8732720)
If I look on the Air France flight schedule i'm seeing it at 14 weekly.

TS is also up from last summer.

I'm not seeing 14x weekly for YYZ anywhere, if you could provide a link that would be fantastic.

The expansion I do see for YYZ however is the second flight beginning one month earlier this running for the entirety of the summer season, end of March to end of October.

Alexcaban Oct 29, 2019 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whywhyzee (Post 8732761)
I'm not seeing 14x weekly for YYZ anywhere, if you could provide a link that would be fantastic.

The expansion I do see for YYZ however is the second flight beginning one month earlier this running for the entirety of the summer season, end of March to end of October.

https://www.airfrance.ca/CA/en/local...eauHoraires.do

YYZ-CDG any time next summer.

whywhyzee Oct 30, 2019 1:43 AM

WS new route for next summer on the 787 will be YYC-FCO, it's currently bookable on the website.

hollywoodcory Oct 30, 2019 1:51 AM

Also:

YYC-CDG increased to 6x weekly
YYC-DUB resumes early May now
YYZ-BCN resumes May 9 on a 767

FCO appears to be 3x weekly?