SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

Denscity Jul 6, 2022 7:44 PM

Is that the Toronto CTV Evening News?
In Vancouver for example it's Global that is tops for news .

Acajack Jul 6, 2022 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9669172)
Is that the Toronto CTV Evening News?
In Vancouver for example it's Global that is tops for news .

I was wondering about that too.

And is it the average for the CTV Evening News over five days?

The total daily average for all local CTV Evening News programs across the country?

Or the total viewers for the CTV Evening News program in the Toronto market over the week?

My guess is it's probably an average per broadcast over the week. If you look at the Stanley Cup Finals, which were on on multiple night, that logic pans out.

But is it just Toronto?

I have to say that even if it's large market, in this day and age with multiple personal pursuits, activities, occupations and obligations, streaming and TV options, 1.2 million people sitting down to watch the 6 pm news on a summer weeknight in that market still seems like a lot.

blueandgoldguy Jul 6, 2022 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9668833)
I have always wondered why Ottawa rated low. I know for a time they were an unmetered city (pretty sure they have been metered for quite a while now) but their first three years in the league they came out with a bang and had a high profile, a good exciting team, and a lot of goodwill.

Are they like TFC, good local engagement in the stadium but not on TV.

Ottawa generally has the smallest fanbase in the CFL based on what I have seen for TV ratings the past several seasons. Whenever I see TV ratings for teams around the league, Ottawa is almost always last with whoever they are matched up with that week.

This lower viewership appears to apply to the NHL as well. A few years ago, TV numbers for regional games of the 7 Canadian NHL teams were posted and Ottawa's average was the lowest.

thurmas Jul 12, 2022 10:31 PM

https://3downnation.com/2022/07/12/b...ngs-of-week-5/

Blue Bombers bashing B.C. Lions boasts biggest CFL TV ratings of Week 5

Winnipeg heard all the noise about the B.C. Lions and at least slowed the hype around Canadian quarterback Nathan Rourke with a convincing 43-22 win that drew the largest television rating in Week 5 on TSN.

The two-time defending Grey Cup champion Blue Bombers pressured Rourke with star ends Willie Jefferson and Jackson Jeffcoat leading the way while intercepting the national QB twice. Reigning CFL Most Outstanding Player Zach Collaros put forth his best performance of the 2022 season so far with three touchdown passes to lead the offence to a season-high 43 points.

An average audience of 585,200 watched Winnipeg walk into BC Place and prove to the rest of the CFL they remain the class of the league, even if people are tired of the blue and gold dominating. That number was the highest-rated Blue Bombers game on TV this year.

Week 1 vs. Ottawa: 434,000
Week 2 at Ottawa: 517,000
Week 3 vs. Hamilton: 393,500
Week 4 at Toronto: 523,000

The 2022 NHL Draft stole some attention from the CFL in Week 5 as round one on Thursday night drew 782,900 average onlookers who tuned in to Sportsnet to watch the Montreal Canadiens selected forward Juraj Slafkovsky first overall. Meanwhile, the Blue Jays game on Friday night aired on Apple TV which left the Canadian TV sports spotlight for the Roughriders.

Saskatchewan’s efficient performance against the Redblacks was overtaken by Garrett Marino’s low hit on quarterback Jeremiah Masoli and his ensuing celebration and violation of the CFL’s code of conduct. His actions tainted the win according to head coach Craig Dickenson and Marino was subsequently suspended for four games by commissioner Randy Ambrosie.

2022 Week 5 TV ratings:

Thursday
Calgary at Edmonton — 367,700

Friday
Ottawa at Saskatchewan — 463,400

Saturday
Winnipeg at B.C. — 585,200

Total Week 5 average: 472,100

gattaca Jul 16, 2022 12:12 AM

Canada women in Concacaf W Championship for World Cup & Olympic qualifying got 147k vs Costa Rica last Monday on CBC. They had already qualified for the World Cup. This match was to just avoid playing the US in the semis in the Olympic qualifying portion.

In line with Cdn MLS team viewing figures over past 2-3 years. But lower than any men's World Cup qualifying match shown on SN in the past year. It's also lower than the typical audience for the CBC programs it preempted in the eastern to central time zones of local news, Coronation Street & Murdoch Mysteries.

The first two matches were delayed shown on CBC after midnight EDT got 35k & 23k. OneSoccer is showing all matches from the tourney live.

https://twitter.com/KRunitedMedia/st...96579817009155

elly63 Jul 16, 2022 3:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gattaca (Post 9677587)
In line with Cdn MLS team viewing figures over past 2-3 years.

Any verification of that?

JHikka Jul 16, 2022 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9677686)
Any verification of that?

It's in the tweet:

Just IN: previous 3 #CWNT games that aired on
@cbcsports
(1 live) had the following audience ratings against Adults 18+ (AMA):
*vs. T&T: 35,100
*vs. Panama: 22,900
*vs. Costa Rica: 147,400 (LIVE)

First two matches were not live on CBC.

elly63 Jul 16, 2022 6:08 PM

It's in the part I quoted, where is the verification that Cdn MLS team viewing figures are around 147k over the past 2-3 years.

blueandgoldguy Jul 17, 2022 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9677957)
It's in the part I quoted, where is the verification that Cdn MLS team viewing figures are around 147k over the past 2-3 years.

The only MLS team that may draw those numbers consistently (or above) would be Montreal when you include the french language channels. Whitecaps and TFC are drawing in the 5-figure range likely the 50-80,000.

thurmas Jul 17, 2022 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 9678159)
The only MLS team that may draw those numbers consistently (or above) would be Montreal when you include the french language channels. Whitecaps and TFC are drawing in the 5-figure range likely the 50-80,000.

So you are saying TFC draws similar ratings to when Tony Little sells his Gazelle exercise machine on TSC.

blueandgoldguy Jul 17, 2022 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9678163)
So you are saying TFC draws similar ratings to when Tony Little sells his Gazelle exercise machine on TSC.

Haha, well I think those ads late at night in Canada might draw a few thousand so this would be a little bit better than that. There were many instances in which this guy on twitter would post the daily Canadian sports ratings on twitter when Canada's MLS soccer games were on, and the 10th highest rated Canadian sport would be something like 80,000 - 100,000. None of those top-10 rated sports would be a Canadian MLS team.

blueandgoldguy Jul 17, 2022 2:02 AM

The Bomber-Calgary game had the highest attendance of the season next to the BC home opener. Just a shade under 30,000. Looked like a fantastic atmosphere on TV.

JHikka Jul 18, 2022 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 9678165)
Haha, well I think those ads late at night in Canada might draw a few thousand so this would be a little bit better than that. There were many instances in which this guy on twitter would post the daily Canadian sports ratings on twitter when Canada's MLS soccer games were on, and the 10th highest rated Canadian sport would be something like 80,000 - 100,000. None of those top-10 rated sports would be a Canadian MLS team.

Which is fine. MLS teams in Canada don't need eyeballs on traditional TV, a dying medium outside of sport anyway, like other sports do. For MLS it's pretty much all about gameday and other matchday revenues, either on or off-field.

thurmas Jul 18, 2022 4:43 PM

I couldn't find the attendance for yesterday's cf montreal toronto fc match in montreal

Acajack Jul 18, 2022 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9678959)
I couldn't find the attendance for yesterday's cf montreal toronto fc match in montreal

Sellout. First of the season.

Bishop2047 Jul 18, 2022 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9678959)

https://fbref.com/en/matches/22256eb...-League-Soccer

thurmas Jul 18, 2022 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishop2047 (Post 9678979)

They needed that boost for sure

elly63 Jul 18, 2022 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9678950)
Which is fine. MLS teams in Canada don't need eyeballs on traditional TV, a dying medium outside of sport anyway, like other sports do. For MLS it's pretty much all about gameday and other matchday revenues, either on or off-field.

They need something to grow new fans because the honeymoon is over for the three Canadian teams, in stadium attendance has fallen as well. The TFC people used to come on here and gloat about how Argo attendance fell after they won the Grey Cup, same thing happened to TFC after they won their championship.

JHikka Jul 18, 2022 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9679044)
They need something to grow new fans because the honeymoon is over for the three Canadian teams, in stadium attendance has fallen as well.

There are obvious reasons for why crowds at Whitecaps and CF Montreal matches are down - namely that the FO likes to fight with the supporters groups. TFC hasn't had this issue and continues to steam along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9679044)
The TFC people used to come on here and gloat about how Argo attendance fell after they won the Grey Cup, same thing happened to TFC after they won their championship.

This forum is not representative of real life. Argo attendance has a trendline regardless of what the team does. TFC's generally follows a more natural North American franchises trajectory (crowds when good, no crowds when bad). Except that TFC are bad now and still drawing crowds.

elly63 Jul 18, 2022 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9679045)
This forum is not representative of real life.

You're right, the TFC people are more obnoxious at other sites. My God, I can watch you spin stuff all day :)