SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

tyleraf Jan 14, 2014 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6405631)
Do you have a source for this? Historically this has been discussed, but as far as I know, this has been dead for a few years.

Here is the article which the UT published last year concerning the Port replacing its master plan.
Quote:

They might include takeover of Lindbergh Field, which the port relinquished to a separate state-created board, or consideration of alternate airport sites, such as offshore or at North Island Naval Air Station.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...nfrastructure/

Nerv Jan 14, 2014 7:03 PM

Now that the Chargers seem to be back on track after their housing cleaning last season I'm curious to see if anything with a new stadium gets put on the table. Nothing mentioned so far seems likely as is. They need either new ideas or rethink the old ones to find a way to make it work.

East village should start filling in again even without a stadium project or ballpark village as long as the economy holds on. The picture reminded me a big part of downtowns problem is the gaps. The height limit is what it is but the city really needs less vacant lots or dirt or whatever and more infill to look solid through.
;)

Leo the Dog Jan 14, 2014 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prahaboheme (Post 6405920)
As fun as a huge skyline would be (and San Diego's isn't that bad given the height restrictions), I'm much more interested in the current wave of infill development going on around the city, led of course by the fantastic developments in North Park...the North Parker, the former Post Office infill project, etc.

If San Diego can get another dozen infill developments over the next 5 years on the same caliber as the Q (quality development by any city's standards), that would be impressive city building.

I agree. :yes:

Puzzlecraft: awesome photos!

As for the East Village, wouldn't building a football stadium just contribute to the "emptiness" of that area? It would be a fortress.

Regarding SAN: we're fortunate that it has a really small footprint. Just look at North Island!! Wow.

Coronado: I wonder if one day they'll decide to sell their city golf course to private developers, quality mid-rise residential development?? Probably not, but that seems like the most prime real estate in SD region!

spoonman Jan 14, 2014 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6406168)
Here is the article which the UT published last year concerning the Port replacing its master plan.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...nfrastructure/

I believe this refers to the Port controlling the airport, as opposed to taking over the land and using it for other purposes.

tyleraf Jan 14, 2014 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6406440)
I believe this refers to the Port controlling the airport, as opposed to taking over the land and using it for other purposes.

Yes, but it also mentions a possible move of the airport to north island or a new floating facility.

spoonman Jan 14, 2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 6406173)
Now that the Chargers seem to be back on track after their housing cleaning last season I'm curious to see if anything with a new stadium gets put on the table. Nothing mentioned so far seems likely as is. They need either new ideas or rethink the old ones to find a way to make it work.

East village should start filling in again even without a stadium project or ballpark village as long as the economy holds on. The picture reminded me a big part of downtowns problem is the gaps. The height limit is what it is but the city really needs less vacant lots or dirt or whatever and more infill to look solid through.
;)

Based on the articles I've read recently, the stadium issue seems to be picking up speed again with some new ideas.

It seems that the proposal will be to use a combination of the following to finance the stadium:

$200M Spanos
$200M NFL
$300+ Sale and redevelopment of Sports Arena, and parts of Qualcomm site
$100M Bonds (extend bond payments at current levels (from old stadium) to provide add'l financing)
-----------
$800M+

This seems to be the math I've seen recently. I'm not really sure how much the Sports Arena and portions of Qualcomm would bring in, but this seems to be the vision. In effect, this is a 50/50 split that does not require additional out of pocket funds. I don't like to see the Sports Arena being given away, but do like the idea of redeveloping the site into a multi-use development with midrise structures (someone proposed this).

In an article today, Gloria asked the Chargers publicly for a proposal. He claimed he would strongly support a plan, if it is appropriate.

Puzzlecraft Jan 15, 2014 8:04 AM

Those SD photos...

Tyleraf - Although the photos were cropped a little, the resolution is as about as good is you'd see in full size as they were taken w/ an iPhone 5 and are pretty grainy when zoomed in compared to what could have been captured with a good DSLR.

Space on my website is pretty limited. I'll see about setting something up on Flickr, won't be right away. There I could post the uncropped full rez pictures as I have several more pretty good and even more expansive panoramas.

Also have some of Point Loma, something we don't see very often! Here's one of the tip, even though I'm straying from on-topic:

http://www.custompuzzlecraft.com/San...a_20131224.jpg

Puzzlecraft Jan 15, 2014 4:06 PM

SD aerial photos followup

I created an account @ flickr a few years ago and forgot all about it. Uploaded SD photos, as from the camera, at http://www.flickr.com/photos/2250154...7639800762595/

mello Jan 15, 2014 4:27 PM

So all Spanos is willing to pledge is still the same 200 million he has been talking about for 12 years?? What a cheap ass, if he could kick in 400 mill this thing would have been done years ago. This is the 800 pound gorilla no one ever brings up in the press or when they interview him, "Why can't you put in more of your own money Mr. Spanos?"

How much did 49ers ownership put in for the new stadium in Santa Clara.

Spoonman: Why do you say "Parts of Qualcomm site" why not develop the whole shebang? How many units have you heard projected for both Sports Arena and Q? Are any details coming out? Thanks

tyleraf Jan 15, 2014 5:39 PM

Here is an interesting article on Makers Quarter. http://www.sdcitybeat.com/sandiego/a...ter-wants.html I'm happy to hear they will use more than one architect. Hopefully they will release real renders before too long.

S.DviaPhilly Jan 15, 2014 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6406465)
Based on the articles I've read recently, the stadium issue seems to be picking up speed again with some new ideas.

It seems that the proposal will be to use a combination of the following to finance the stadium:

$200M Spanos
$200M NFL
$300+ Sale and redevelopment of Sports Arena, and parts of Qualcomm site
$100M Bonds (extend bond payments at current levels (from old stadium) to provide add'l financing)
-----------
$800M+

This seems to be the math I've seen recently. I'm not really sure how much the Sports Arena and portions of Qualcomm would bring in, but this seems to be the vision. In effect, this is a 50/50 split that does not require additional out of pocket funds. I don't like to see the Sports Arena being given away, but do like the idea of redeveloping the site into a multi-use development with midrise structures (someone proposed this).

In an article today, Gloria asked the Chargers publicly for a proposal. He claimed he would strongly support a plan, if it is appropriate.

I feel like the Qualcomm and Sports Arena lands should be more than $300 million, no? Qualcomm is the largest parking lot in the US (maybe world) and Sport Arena is sitting on some prime real estate in Pt. Loma. I feel like the city could/should be getting closer to $500 million for both parcels of land. And yes, the Spanos family should kick in more than $200 million, unless he plans on discounting tickets!

spoonman Jan 15, 2014 9:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6407475)
So all Spanos is willing to pledge is still the same 200 million he has been talking about for 12 years?? What a cheap ass, if he could kick in 400 mill this thing would have been done years ago. This is the 800 pound gorilla no one ever brings up in the press or when they interview him, "Why can't you put in more of your own money Mr. Spanos?"

How much did 49ers ownership put in for the new stadium in Santa Clara.

Spoonman: Why do you say "Parts of Qualcomm site" why not develop the whole shebang? How many units have you heard projected for both Sports Arena and Q? Are any details coming out? Thanks

I just said part, b/c I figure that the city could only sell the part of land not being used for the stadium footprint. I don't have any info on the projects proposed for the land. I think they are conceptual at best. That said, I had heard someone propose to increase the height limit at Sports Arena by putting it on the ballot.

Bertrice Jan 15, 2014 9:33 PM

$200M Spanos
$200M NFL
-----------
$800M+

The 200 million from the NFL is a loan. so put Spanos/NFL/corporate naming in the same column

spoonman Jan 15, 2014 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 6407983)
I feel like the Qualcomm and Sports Arena lands should be more than $300 million, no? Qualcomm is the largest parking lot in the US (maybe world) and Sport Arena is sitting on some prime real estate in Pt. Loma. I feel like the city could/should be getting closer to $500 million for both parcels of land. And yes, the Spanos family should kick in more than $200 million, unless he plans on discounting tickets!

I think this project could come together fairly easily if Spanos kicks in a bit more, and the land can be appraised for $300M or more.

Nerv Jan 15, 2014 9:50 PM

I'd like to see them rebuild Qualcomm with a new stadium with a high rise parking structure to allow them to develop the rest of the space with a hotel and other businesses including restaurants and entertainment. I'm not a fan of using it for condos or housing. I always thought it was the best site. :tup:

Bertrice Jan 15, 2014 9:55 PM

here's cam link to the broadway and 9th.

you can see where the maker quarter will go

http://www.earthcam.net/projects/bridgehousing/

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5481/1...b28d163b_b.jpg

tyleraf Jan 15, 2014 10:03 PM

Here is an article from back in October that talks about the Chargers continued interest in the Qualcomm site.http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...lcomm-stadium/
Quote:

A major international company, which I can’t name now, also is interested in partnering with us for stadium naming rights.
This is also interesting.

tyleraf Jan 15, 2014 10:04 PM

9th and Broadway is sure going up quickly! It'll be great for the area.

spoonman Jan 16, 2014 2:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6408177)
9th and Broadway is sure going up quickly! It'll be great for the area.

Thanks for the pic. The project seems to be rising pretty fast...glad to see that project fill out the Broadway corridor.

Does anyone have a current pic on 15th & Island that they could post?

The company that is looking to get naming rights to the new stadium is Kia. I prefer Qualcomm more as they are local, and represent the city's technology industry. But if Kia has the dough, why not. As for Qualcomm, I would rather to see them focus their dollars on bringing a basketball team back to the city.

mello Jan 16, 2014 3:13 AM

Also guys I think we are being a bit naive with the 800 million dollar figure Levi's Stadium price tag is now up to 1.3 billion... So if the Q site and condos etc gets going that is a whole other ball of wax which will need more investors to build the condos/apartments...

Hell I lived for a year in Busan and I know Kia and Hyundai both build high rise towers in SK they don't just build cars and tractors! So maybe we could have a Korean style vertical village in Mission valley with ultra sleak 50 story structures :cheers: