SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

superfishy Jan 30, 2019 4:08 AM

The guy arguing against it makes a good point. They're demolishing a current affordable housing apartment complex and replacing it with a tower that houses only 18 affordable units out of 204.

Puzzlecraft Jan 30, 2019 7:25 PM

Bankers Hill height limit

I think the 200 footer was a variance and the limit is still officially 150

SDfan Jan 30, 2019 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfishy (Post 8454653)
The guy arguing against it makes a good point. They're demolishing a current affordable housing apartment complex and replacing it with a tower that houses only 18 affordable units out of 204.

Actually his comment is false. Those 16 units were market rate, not affordable. Yes, they may have been more affordable than a new development, but they would have increased in rent over time while becoming more dilapidated. Instead, this development not only locks in 18 units of affordable housing for 55 years, it provides new units at a higher quality for low income families.

They really tried to throw the book at this project, but the council and community pushed back decisively.

SDfan Jan 30, 2019 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 8453126)
The diagrams page is missing some new buildings, some completed. For example, no drawing/data for Ballpark Village tower. Several other examples. Are they short of artists? Other cities seem to be updated more promptly, even when a building is still under construction. Get to work artists. Maybe somebody with more time can compile a list of new buildings that need to be in the diagrams section that aren't there. There must be 5 or 10 over 300 feet, and a couple over 400' that are missing.

I don't think anyone active here has worked on the SD diagram. If I knew how, I would, but eh. I welcome others to try!

staplesla Jan 31, 2019 11:35 PM

The Port of San Diego is encouraging the public to complete a survey that will help guide priorities for future amenities in the Embarcadero area. The survey is available until January 31, 2019. I received this in an email from a NIMBY telling me to vote for retail/office and restaurants, and against parks and cultural arts. 😤

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Embar...-Questionnaire

Streamliner Feb 1, 2019 3:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 8455490)
I don't think anyone active here has worked on the SD diagram. If I knew how, I would, but eh. I welcome others to try!

There is a forum for the diagrams. I suggest someone post there.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81

staplesla Feb 2, 2019 12:46 AM

Little Italy's largest office building is a go

"Taking up an entire city block in Little Italy, the mixed-use Kilroy Realty development known as 2100 Kettner will be the neighborhood’s single largest office building when it’s completed late next year."

"The six-story low-rise — bounded by Kettner, Ivy, Hawthorne and California streets — will consist primarily of best-in-class office with 177,479 square feet of the 195,974 square-foot building (209,203 square feet when counting terraces) dedicated to the workforce. The next largest office building in the area, the ESET building at 610 W Ash St., offers a total of 177,489 square feet with some of that space allocated for ground-floor retail, according to real-estate tracker CoStar."

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...201-story.html

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5c54a042/t...ge/750/750x422

Will O' Wisp Feb 3, 2019 11:42 PM

Bids are in for the Plaza de Panama redo are in, lowest one is 40% higher than expected.

Bids to Remake the Plaza de Panama Are $20M Higher Than Expected

According to the article the overrrun will need to be payed for by the philanthropic donors (ie Irwin Jacobs).

HurricaneHugo Feb 5, 2019 9:07 AM

MTS planning of making the Purple Line (805 Trolley Line) the focus of a 2020 ballot measure.

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...le-line-plans/

I agree with the article, it shouldn't be up next. A North Park extension is the most logical choice. Costs are similar but I expect it to have about double the riders.

202_Cyclist Feb 5, 2019 3:11 PM

California Pacific Airlines, we hardly knew ye.

California Pacific Airlines shuts down after 2 months

mello Feb 5, 2019 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8461270)
MTS planning of making the Purple Line (805 Trolley Line) the focus of a 2020 ballot measure.

I agree with the article, it shouldn't be up next. A North Park extension is the most logical choice. Costs are similar but I expect it to have about double the riders.

"North Park Extension" don't you mean a line going up in to Hillcrest then all the way out through City Heights to La Mesa? This would go up El Cajon Blvd I'm assuming.

Will O' Wisp Feb 6, 2019 1:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8462203)
"North Park Extension" don't you mean a line going up in to Hillcrest then all the way out through City Heights to La Mesa? This would go up El Cajon Blvd I'm assuming.

All the plans I've seen involve going up through Balboa Park via Park Blvd, then hanging a right on El Cajon. Some of them seem to end at the 15, the rest continue on until turning north on College Ave to link up with the green line at SDSU

SDCAL Feb 6, 2019 2:30 AM

Quote:

This is actually a really informative article that lays out the reason, with supporting facts and examples from other cities, why building transit based on which routes are easiest to build is a crappy idea.

SANDAG should listen to this. One reason our mass transit is horrendous is because SD has taken the idea to build transit first and the try to force high density in those places instead of building it where high density already exists.

The most efficient and most used metro transit systems are ones where all the major routes pass through a central location, which for us would be downtown. Trying to build the “purple” line instead of a line in our urban core because it’s easier to build along the I-805 corridor is ridiculous.

As much as I hate to vote against mass transit, I can’t in good conscious vote for BAD mass transit, which is exactly what this is.

To have a line running up the 805 but nothing going to the airport, nothing going to B park, nothing going into uptown is asinine.

joemamma Feb 7, 2019 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist (Post 8461439)
California Pacific Airlines, we hardly knew ye.

California Pacific Airlines shuts down after 2 months

"If you want to be a Millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline" - Richard Branson

mello Feb 7, 2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 8462610)
As much as I hate to vote against mass transit, I can’t in good conscious vote for BAD mass transit, which is exactly what this is.

To have a line running up the 805 but nothing going to the airport, nothing going to B park, nothing going into uptown is asinine.

So looking at this Purple Line hmmm. If Kearny Mesa was as big of a job hub as Sorrento Valley/Mesa or UTC (Not saying both combined but just one or the other) I would say its a good idea. But not that many people really work in Kearny Mesa, a lot do but not enough to justify the cost of this line and building it instead of Uptown and in my opinion at least to College Ave, really it should be all the way out El Cajon BLVD to La Mesa Village.

How many people live in South Bay and work in Kearny Mesa? Maybe they work in Mission Valley but this line will be going hundreds of feet over MV on the 805 bridge and not really providing good access plus the MV job centers are so sprawling ugh...

Why is the line going through the heart of the city so hard to get built what is the excuse?

Will O' Wisp Feb 8, 2019 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8465323)
So looking at this Purple Line hmmm. If Kearny Mesa was as big of a job hub as Sorrento Valley/Mesa or UTC (Not saying both combined but just one or the other) I would say its a good idea. But not that many people really work in Kearny Mesa, a lot do but not enough to justify the cost of this line and building it instead of Uptown and in my opinion at least to College Ave, really it should be all the way out El Cajon BLVD to La Mesa Village.

How many people live in South Bay and work in Kearny Mesa? Maybe they work in Mission Valley but this line will be going hundreds of feet over MV on the 805 bridge and not really providing good access plus the MV job centers are so sprawling ugh...

Why is the line going through the heart of the city so hard to get built what is the excuse?

I don't know why they're depicting the line dead ending in Kearny Mesa. The whole point of the Purple line was that is was going to continue on along the 805, intersect with the new Blue Line terminus in UTC (how exactly this happens was always a bit vague) before ending in Sorrento Valley. That's why it always gets such high cost/benefit ratios, the Purple Line would hit all three major SD job centers.

Nerv Feb 8, 2019 5:54 AM

Quote:

I would have thought continuing the line from UTC and finally breaking into the north county down the jammed up 5 and ending in Oceanside would get the highest ridership of any new lines unless the thought is to leave the entire north county orphaned from the trolley due to the coaster line?

Kind of idiotic if the trolley is San Diego’s Key mass transit system into the future and they are going to ignore a large portion of its population base. The latest option of expansion of the 5 (the minimum version) is telling on how residents here view any future freeway expansions and the coaster although kind of solid is not the future unless they can add more Key stop points, get it faster and have a better plan in place if you need to go somewhere besides the coast line.

Way to go in ignoring nearly a million of your residents....:uhh:

CaliNative Feb 8, 2019 9:04 AM

Ultimate dream trolley line

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 8465813)
I would have thought continuing the line from UTC and finally breaking into the north county down the jammed up 5 and ending in Oceanside would get the highest ridership of any new lines unless the thought is to leave the entire north county orphaned from the trolley due to the coaster line?

Kind of idiotic if the trolley is San Diego’s Key mass transit system into the future and they are going to ignore a large portion of its population base. The latest option of expansion of the 5 (the minimum version) is telling on how residents here view any future freeway expansions and the coaster although kind of solid is not the future unless they can add more Key stop points, get it faster and have a better plan in place if you need to go somewhere besides the coast line.

Way to go in ignoring nearly a million of your residents....:uhh:

Extend the one of the north trolley lines up the I-15 corridor, where it would connect to the Sprinter terminus in Escondido. From there, the Sprinter takes you to San Marcos, Vista, Oceanside. Wouldn't have to rely on slow buses or the often out of service Coaster to get to San Diego. Ultimately, a coastal extension of the trolley could be built along the I-5 all the way to Oceanside, and replace the Coaster.

Nerv Feb 8, 2019 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 8465877)
Extend the one of the north trolley lines up the I-15 corridor, where it would connect to the Sprinter terminus in Escondido. From there, the Sprinter takes you to San Marcos, Vista, Oceanside. Wouldn't have to rely on slow buses or the often out of service Coaster to get to San Diego. Ultimately, a coastal extension of the trolley could be built along the I-5 all the way to Oceanside, and replace the Coaster.

I don’t see them considering a trolley line fully along the 15 anytime soon though. The subject of adding a third rail line along the 15 (to link with Sprinter) was already brought up and it won’t happen due to the current density along the 15 not being enough to support regular transit. A good portion of the 15’s traffic is actually caused by non SD residents who can’t afford to live here but commute
from Riverside county. Not sure how much an impact it is but it’s large enough and been happening for some time now. The north county coast is pretty built up in SD with largely infill projects going on but the inland areas still have a ways to go with possible growth.

Perhaps with the state being much more aggressive with housing (lawsuits for cities not complying) and NIMBYs starting to lose more often than before some of that might change.

mt_climber13 Feb 8, 2019 6:48 PM

Hey all new here, sorry to hijack the thread but this is probably one of the best places on the internet to ask.

I’ll be moving to San Diego in months and looking for insights on neighborhoods to move. I want something pretty affordable (no more than $2,000 for 2 bedroom) and also moving with 2 large dogs so a small yard is necessary. Will be working on the navy base so something within biking distance and light rail access to downtown. Want to live close to water where it’s cooler and don’t have to use AC much.

What are some realistic options? Chula Vista seems to be a pretty decent working class town with everything I’m looking for. Only heard bad things about national city but that was several years ago. Balboa park would be ideal but probably out of my price range.

Also, how is the rail system throughout SD? Looking at the map it looks pretty impressive, even more so than San Francisco. Does it have a frequent schedule? Does it go places you’d actually want or need to go? Or is it more a novelty?

Thanks in advance