SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

embora Oct 28, 2017 4:28 PM

Here's news about 7th & Market (Ritz Carlton-Whole Foods) from the SDUT. A judge ruled in favor of the city, but the party that sued said that "at this point" they plan on appealing. The article says that the judgement also affected a 20-story, 324 hotel a block a way, but I didn't see a name or exact location for that hotel.

Quote:

City scores win in legal challenge over Ritz Carlton-Whole Foods project

Lori Weisberg - Contact Reporter - San Diego Union Tribune October 27, 2017

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...027-story.html

ozone Oct 28, 2017 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7957721)
I feel bad for the guys trying to build this thing (Green and Co.). They went to great lengths to cooperate with the City.

Up until two years ago, the Convention Center Corp. controlled the land but backed out of a deal (to acquire the lease as part of there plan to expand the convention center) after a judge ruled that the plan to finance it with a hotel room tax hike was unconstitutional. The lawsuit claims that the City and the Corporation's default (on their payment obligations) voided any development rights the City has for the property and that their continued pursuit of the convention center expansion is a breach of the lease's terms. Appartantly since the City reneged on payments the developer is looking for another way to make money. I understood that the City was willing to ‘buy them out’ if they would to drop their hotel project and hand over the land they currently lease from the port. But apparently the hotel’s developers are holding out for a lot more money. So I don’t feel so sorry for them. The city is stuck in the middle of fight between one hotel developer and the other hotel owners, who are demanding that the city expand the convention center in order to generate more profits for them. The problem is there is no other practical place to expand the convention center. They had a plan that should have been valid. But the judge I feel incorrectly (and maybe illegally if there was a conflict of interest) stopped it. In retrospect placing the convention center right on the water was a bad idea. But I understand why they did it and times were really different then.

The Flying Dutchman Oct 28, 2017 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozone (Post 7968387)
Up until two years ago, the Convention Center Corp. controlled the land but backed out of a deal (to acquire the lease as part of there plan to expand the convention center) after a judge ruled that the plan to finance it with a hotel room tax hike was unconstitutional. The lawsuit claims that the City and the Corporation's default (on their payment obligations) voided any development rights the City has for the property and that their continued pursuit of the convention center expansion is a breach of the lease's terms. Appartantly since the City reneged on payments the developer is looking for another way to make money. I understood that the City was willing to ‘buy them out’ if they would to drop their hotel project and hand over the land they currently lease from the port. But apparently the hotel’s developers are holding out for a lot more money. So I don’t feel so sorry for them. The city is stuck in the middle of fight between one hotel developer and the other hotel owners, who are demanding that the city expand the convention center in order to generate more profits for them. The problem is there is no other practical place to expand the convention center. They had a plan that should have been valid. But the judge I feel incorrectly (and maybe illegally if there was a conflict of interest) stopped it. In retrospect placing the convention center right on the water was a bad idea. But I understand why they did it and times were really different then.

I understand and agree, but ultimately the California Constitution takes precedence (which a ballot measure would do). Everything else is just noise if it passes. A citizen's initiative can pass with just 50% +1 now, this is due to a recent CA Supreme Court ruling. (Govs must still pass 2/3rds muster)

HurricaneHugo Oct 31, 2017 7:20 AM

Connector road proposed between MV & Serra Mesa (end of murray ridge road):

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...030-story.html

Does Mission Center Rd get that packed?

Now if they'd only construct the Regents bridge...

spoonman Oct 31, 2017 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 7970919)
Connector road proposed between MV & Serra Mesa (end of murray ridge road):

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...030-story.html

Does Mission Center Rd get that packed?

Now if they'd only construct the Regents bridge...

Thank goodness common sense prevailed over NIMBYs.

The Best Forumer Oct 31, 2017 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7971325)
Thank goodness common sense prevailed over NIMBYs.

They can try to stop us but will always fail.,

JerellO Nov 1, 2017 3:01 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong bf, but wasn’t that here a proposal to bring rail to Hillcrest? I think I remember reading about that. If so, is there any way we will get to vote again? That area is super pedestrian friendly and is in need of rail or streetcar line. Yes construction on the road may cause closures and cause traffic but the benefits outweigh the costs and it just seems like some of our locals doesn’t seem to realize that.

The Flying Dutchman Nov 1, 2017 3:32 PM

There's also this:

https://www.facebook.com/quickwayproposal/

eburress Nov 1, 2017 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Best Forumer (Post 7971335)
They can try to stop us but will always fail.,

It sure seems to me the SD NIMBYs are winning by a large margin. It's not even close.

Nerv Nov 2, 2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 7972909)
It sure seems to me the SD NIMBYs are winning by a large margin. It's not even close.

Yes, you’re right. Nothing here to see on this thread then so I’m sure you’d be happier posting on your Dallas Fort Worth thread where the world is rainbows for you instead of hanging out here in the dark bleak world of San Diego news. Adding repeated negative remarks without anything positive to say is super boring.

Please quit trolling.

mello Nov 2, 2017 11:21 PM

Could Joseph Tsai be our Savior?

He is CEO and second largest share holder of Ali Baba (Asia's Amazon) his current wealth is estimated at 11 billion and set to explode to possibly 30 billion in the coming decade or so. I don't know the history of why his wife and children live in San Diego and he is in Hong Kong mostly. I'm sure he jets back and forth on a private plane or meets them halfway in Hawaii quite often.

Wife and kids live in La Jolla I know she is very involved in the fine arts and the new performing arts center for the LJ music society being built on fay ave in the village. Now if Ali Baba continues to explode and needs a North American Headquarters would he consider putting it in Downtown SD?

He just bought the Brooklyn Nets. Everyone is saying now way he moves the team out of a huge market and brings them to tiny SD blah blah. BUT!! Clay Bennet moved Sonics from Seattle (granted it was just before there HUGE tech boom they've had the last 8 years) to very small Oklahoma City and guess what he is worth a fraction of Joseph Tsai.

Could Tsai pull a passion play and build an empire here in the East Village I'm thinking multiple 500 foot towers, maybe make a run at silly height limit, with an Arena for the relocated NBA team, his indoor Lacrosse team, and the Gulls.... :shrug:

eburress Nov 3, 2017 5:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 7974384)
Yes, you’re right. Nothing here to see on this thread then so I’m sure you’d be happier posting on your Dallas Fort Worth thread where the world is rainbows for you instead of hanging out here in the dark bleak world of San Diego news. Adding repeated negative remarks without anything positive to say is super boring.

Please quit trolling.

Huh, I thought the point of a forum was to share a variety of different points of view, not just to reinforce your already cemented point of view.

For what it's worth, I've been extremely positive about any and all pro-development things going on in San Diego, from One Paseo, to moving the airport, to UTC area development. I've even taken the time to draw (goofy) maps imagining what I thought SD could be:

https://preview.ibb.co/g155Cb/Future_San_Diego.png

The problem for me is that more often than not, this city's anti-development, anti-business proclivities, not to mention its government's overall ineptitude, give a skyscraper/urban enthusiast like myself very little to be enthusiastic about.

HurricaneHugo Nov 3, 2017 7:08 AM

^^ No line going down El Cajon Boulevard?

JerellO Nov 3, 2017 7:49 AM

San Diego bay looks like a flaccid penis (^-^)

eburress Nov 3, 2017 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 7974769)
^^ No line going down El Cajon Boulevard?

I had another, similar map featurings traditional trolley lines (rather than light rail), which had a loop that went north from Downtown up 4th or 5th, east through Hillcrest and along El Cajon, south through North Park and South Park, and then back west into Downtown through Golden Hill. :)

ozone Nov 3, 2017 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerellO (Post 7974780)

The entire coast looks like an old miserable bird - the Bay is the mouth, Point Loma is the beak, Mission Bay are the eyes and LJ the forehead.

SDfan Nov 3, 2017 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerellO (Post 7974780)

:haha::haha::haha:

SDfan Nov 3, 2017 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozone (Post 7974911)
The entire coast looks like an old miserable bird - the Bay is the mouth, Point Loma is the beak, Mission Bay are the eyes and LJ the forehead.

:worship:

Nerv Nov 3, 2017 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 7974743)
Huh, I thought the point of a forum was to share a variety of different points of view, not just to reinforce your already cemented point of view.

For what it's worth, I've been extremely positive about any and all pro-development things going on in San Diego, from One Paseo, to moving the airport, to UTC area development. I've even taken the time to draw (goofy) maps imagining what I thought SD could be:

https://preview.ibb.co/g155Cb/Future_San_Diego.png

The problem for me is that more often than not, this city's anti-development, anti-business proclivities, not to mention its government's overall ineptitude, give a skyscraper/urban enthusiast like myself very little to be enthusiastic about.

So what you’re regularly saying is San Diego is hopeless so why waste time dropping your negative bait for posters here?
It’s only a point of view if you consider yours is completely negative regardless of the topic which is totally one sided.

Your posting record is pretty clear and I’m not the only one who’s called you out for trolling.

Different points of view are welcome but what you’re posting isn’t that and you know it. You’re trolling and dropping bait for anyone who will take it.

Don’t you have better things to do?

SDfan Nov 3, 2017 9:47 PM

For the record, I think I'm the negative nancy of the group. I will not let eburress steal my crown. :cheers: