SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

mwadswor Mar 31, 2010 6:04 PM

Heh, who wants to eat the Easter bunny for dinner sunday? :cheers:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...nu-outcry.html

Quote:

Caffe Boa defends rabbit-based Easter dinner after outcry

by John Stanley - Mar. 30, 2010 01:01 PM
The Arizona Republic

Caffe Boa and Boa Bistro have touched a nerve with their plans to serve a rabbit-based menu on Easter Sunday.

"People just don't realize what wonderful pets rabbits are," said Doreen O'Connell, a volunteer at Brambly Hedge Rabbit Rescue in Phoenix.

"They're just the sweetest pets, so good-natured and funny and loving. And like any pet owner, when you see that on a menu you think how could somebody take my sweet pet and slaughter it and eat it?"

Executive chef Payton Curry, who planned the menu, said they had received more than 100 e-mails and messages about their plans. Last night, he said, the messages were running about 80-20 against the menu. By this afternoon, though, it had more or less evened out.

Feelings were running high.

One anonymous caller, Curry said, wished him a slow and painful death and told him he would end up in hell, then hung up.

"I try to unlearn people like that," Curry said.

In a press statement released Tuesday morning, Curry and Caffe Boa owners Jay and Christine Wisniewski stressed that the rabbits they serve are not domesticated bunnies.

"They are all-natural, free-range rabbits raised in humane conditions . . . ," they wrote.

O'Connell, though, thinks they are not that different from her house pets.

"I think (Wisniewski and Curry) underestimate the number of people who have pet rabbits," O'Connell said. Curry notes that rabbit has long been a staple ingredient of European diets and has become something of a dining trend in the United States.

A story in the New York Times documented the growing popularity of rabbit dishes in upscale restaurants across the country, and a workshop Curry held on the preparation of rabbit on March 21 was sold out.

Curry said the rabbit being served in the restaurant is no different than chicken, duck, lamb, pork or beef currently on their menu and that he and Wisniewski get many requests from their guests for more rabbit dishes.

Their holiday menu, Curry said, was simply a way to respond to that demand.

"I didn't do this to create a stir or insult or offend anyone," Curry said. "I grew up in Minnesota eating squirrel with my grandfather. To me, it's just food. I don't see what the big deal is."

Curry talked about how he works regularly with farm animals and only buys from farms where they're raised humanely. Just last week, he said, he personally helped a cow in distress.

"I don't just sit around thinking about how to slaughter and eat everything," he said. "These rabbits (we use) are wild. They need to be out on a farm, running around and not penned up in someone's backyard pen or apartment."

Curry and Wisniewski recognize that a rabbit-based menu is not to everyone's taste.

"We are doing something different, I know," Curry said. "It's making a few people upset, but we're bringing awareness to a lot of people who had no idea they could get this sort of cuisine in Tempe. I think it will be great for the dining scene."

The planned Easter dinners will consist of:

• Carrot soup with crispy rabbit confit.

• Rabbit-liver mousse crostini, fines herbes salad, quince mostarda, horseradish crème fraiche.

• Rabbit terrine with black truffle, celery root and parsnip slaw, black-pepper buttermilk vinaigrette, brioche.

• Ravioli of rabbit, local beet pasta, arugula-walnut pesto, local radish slaw.

• Prosciutto-wrapped rabbit leg, white-truffle omelet, braised black-eyed peas.

• Carrot cake.

An alternative menu is available for children, and both restaurants offer other choices on their Easter brunch menus.

The six-course dinner is $65. Reservations are required.

For more information on rabbit rescue, go to: bhrabbitrescue.org.

SunDevil Apr 2, 2010 2:45 AM

so guys (gals??) where do you work/what do you do for a living.

If you don't want to say where, say what. If you're a student, what are you studying?

I work for Veteran's Affairs in the veteran's benefits side, not the healthcare side (Corner of Osborn and Central). Basically a vet files a claim, I look through their file try to find something from their time in service that is related to their current problem. It's simple in principle, but tricky in practice given all the rules and regs we must abide by.

SunDevil Apr 2, 2010 2:51 AM

Anyone heard about this?
http://valleyofthesunthemovie.com/
http://valleyofthesunthemovie.com/mydir/VOShomepage.jpg

Tempe_Duck Apr 2, 2010 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 4777633)

I haven't heard of it. Another movie that is being filmed currently in Phoenix is the next(ish) Will Ferrell movie, "Everything Must Go." My friend is actually working on it. Doesn't someone here work with movies or TV?

nickkoto Apr 2, 2010 3:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 4777622)

If you don't want to say where, say what. If you're a student, what are you studying?

I work for Veteran's Affairs in the veteran's benefits side, not the healthcare side (Corner of Osborn and Central). Basically a vet files a claim, I look through their file try to find something from their time in service that is related to their current problem. It's simple in principle, but tricky in practice given all the rules and regs we must abide by.

Would you by chance know of any ways around the delimiting date for GI Bill benefits?

admdavid Apr 2, 2010 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 4777622)

I work in San Diego for a small software company (less than 50 employees) as a Technical Product Manager. We make mortgage software so it's been an interesting couple of years. :)

Don B. Apr 2, 2010 8:19 PM

I am the Director of the Lawyer Referral Service for the Maricopa County Bar Association at 3rd Street and Palm Lane near downtown Phoenix. I have a 6 mile commute and I love it, after years of a 25-30 mile commute.

--don

Vicelord John Apr 2, 2010 8:30 PM

I work in tourism and promotion. The hotel i work in is in paradise valley and i also work out of my home.

Tempe_Duck Apr 2, 2010 9:23 PM

I am the Director of IT for a Telecommunications and Cabling shop in Tempe. Lucky, the office is 2 blocks from my house, so I can drive through the neighborhood to get to work bypassing the traffic.

Still in School, trying to finish my degree, but finding the money isn't easy right now.

SunDevil Apr 2, 2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickkoto (Post 4777710)
Would you by chance know of any ways around the delimiting date for GI Bill benefits?

I have no clue, sorry, but if you have a question about disability benefits, I'm your guy.
GI Bill: 1-888-442-4551 is about the best I can do.

Tfom Apr 3, 2010 4:22 AM

I teach middle school on the south side and I'm working on my masters in professional counseling.

Vicelord John Apr 6, 2010 2:20 AM

Where do you all play basketball at? I know a few people on here play. I want to go somewhere that I don't have to worry about getting jumped for my shoes, and also where there are some unskilled players like myself.

HooverDam Apr 6, 2010 2:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4782316)
Where do you all play basketball at? I know a few people on here play. I want to go somewhere that I don't have to worry about getting jumped for my shoes, and also where there are some unskilled players like myself.

I used to play a lot at Clark Park near my place in Tempe, but most of my basketball playing friends have moved. Sadly theres not a lot of good places to play in Central Phx. City Square Sports Club is good, but you have to be a member or a guest of a member. Both University and Verde Parks are pretty sketchy. Townsend park is OK, but its just a half court. Monterrey Park can feel sketchy, I was there once playing alone at night and didn't feel comfortable b/c of some of the other people there.

I really wish that surface lot just South of the YMCA/North of the Valley Metro building would go away and become some sort of small sports park. Theres probably room for at least one basketball court, a tennis court and a volleyball court (and maybe some smaller stuff like Bocce ball) That would be a great location and serve the ASU students and the rest of downtown well and perhaps become our Rucker Park.

EDIT: Also Jaycee Park in Tempe is excellent. From what I can tell they leave the lights on 24/7 and sometimes there's some good street ball going on there. The Y is good too, but same problem as City Square, gotta be a member.

Vicelord John Apr 6, 2010 2:50 AM

I dont mind leaving downtown.

Tfom Apr 6, 2010 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4782369)
I dont mind leaving downtown.

If you find some place near downtown let me know, I rarely have time in the evenings to make it all the way to Tempe. I have played at Encanto because it is so close, but I haven't done it in awhile. It seems there are A court games there and C court games, but nothing in between. I don't know if you would consider that a place where you wouldn't get jumped for your shoes though.

Vicelord John Apr 6, 2010 4:53 AM

Encanto could be alright. I'm gonna go there tomorrow to check it out and see what kind of group is there. I just won't wear any of my Jordans.

HooverDam Apr 7, 2010 2:48 AM

I was screwing around and found this neat website that'll calculate the size of the planets in our solar system and the distances if you give it a diameter for the sun:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/solar_system/

I got to thinking a neat public art project might be to make a say 5 foot in diameter sun in Heritage Square near the Science Center somewhere, then throughout Central Phoenix you could have kiosks with the rest of the celestial bodies, showing their size and giving info about them.

If you had a 5 foot sun, the whole thing would have to be spread out over about 4 miles from the Sun to Pluto which would actually work out OK here in Central Phx, it would basically cover from the Science Center to Camelback/Central quite nicely.

I think that would be a neat/educational art project...so uh...someone get on that.

EDIT: Got bored, made a map showing how you could lay out such a thing. It would stretch from in front of the Science Center to in front of Central HS.

Tfom Apr 8, 2010 3:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4782544)
Encanto could be alright. I'm gonna go there tomorrow to check it out and see what kind of group is there. I just won't wear any of my Jordans.

Any luck? The best games I ever ran was when I ran with a group of friends every week. Then we didn't have to worry about all the nonsense and we knew we would have a good time.

Vicelord John Apr 8, 2010 4:34 AM

I went this afternoon. Had a good time. Only games going was a 10 man full court. Im not in shape right now and they were all black... My buddy and i played a few games of 21 and the courts were well maintained.

I'm a little disappointed that my newest kicks were terrible to play in, thats not the court's fault though.

Leo the Dog Apr 8, 2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4785935)
I went this afternoon. Had a good time. Only games going was a 10 man full court. Im not in shape right now and they were all black...

So what you're saying is, they dressed the part, talked a lot of shit, but there were probably 3 talented players that had good jump shots?