SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Zmonkey Oct 2, 2022 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LO 044 (Post 9748142)
Whenever I see a non-profit corporation mentioned I say you really have to do your homework. Goodwill stores are non-profit as well but after reading all the facts about their shady practices, I try to give directly to homeless shelters and so on or give the stuff away on Facebook Buy And Sell. Some people say give to the Salvation Army but I don't even know how legit they are.

Salvation army is great to deal with. I volunteer with a refugee group and we loop them in regularly, from helping to find cheap places to live, employment, food pantries, English classes. They are run very well.

They don't have a perfect history, they are run by the English church after all, but over past 6 years they have been phenomenal. They have helped find around 300 homes for people, very good at taking lead and getting things done. Never a cost to our group, and almost none of the people we have worked with are Christian.

zahav Oct 2, 2022 2:46 AM

Good to see AC adding YHZ-EWR, even if it is on a turboprop. UA used to operate EWR for years on an RJ, so this is just filling in for that. I believe Delta and AA used to operate flights to NYC before as well, but doesn't look like they are coming back yet. Odd it is only winter seasonal though, I would guess they are testing the waters to make sure it works. But traffic in the summer season would be way higher, so hopefully they don't judge it based on winter traffic, and will give it a shot for the summer.

Although technically, EWR will no longer be a part of the NYC system..

Newark Airport will no longer be considered part of NYC — which could mean higher fare prices

As of now, it is grouped under the IATA code NYC along with LGA and JFK. But starting Oct. 3, it won't be. So technically they will just have service to Newark, not NYC. UA and AC must be annoyed at this, since they have lots of ops from EWR.

thenoflyzone Oct 2, 2022 8:08 AM

^ I don't believe its a big deal, really. The change only affects fares. Passengers and travel agents will still be able to find flights to all three airports when searching for flights from New York.

Besides, anyone that flies with any kind of regularity (be it once a year, or once a week), usually knows the airport codes they want to fly in/out of.

Case in point, who uses YMQ or YTO if they want to fly into Montreal or Toronto? My guess is, no one. They'll use YUL or YYZ/YTZ, or just type Montreal or Toronto.

Very few people use multi-airport city codes.

zahav Oct 2, 2022 5:52 PM

I know, I wasn't saying it was catastrophic or anything, just pointing it out that it's a change to the status quo, as EWR has been lumped in forever. Other than the fiar change thing, makes no difference, which is why I wonder why they even took the time to change it.

YHZ's transborder service is definitely unique. AA operates both BOS and DCA once weekly only during the summer. Are there any other Canadian airports than only have once weekly service from a US airline?? I feel like this frequency level is very rare from US carriers. For Canadian carriers it isn't common either, but certainly does happen especially with leisure routes. But US carriers usually serve with a decent level of frequency, or not at all. The once weekly seems to be a YHZ phenomenon. Correct me if I'm wrong. It is good for YHZ and shows something at least that they are willing to operate a flight frequency like this instead of just scrapping the routes, like what airlines did it YEG and other cities. I know there's obviously different circumstances, but how these routes operate but AA couldn't do the same on YEG-DFW or YEG-ORD still seems weird

hehehe Oct 2, 2022 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9748869)
I know, I wasn't saying it was catastrophic or anything, just pointing it out that it's a change to the status quo, as EWR has been lumped in forever. Other than the fiar change thing, makes no difference, which is why I wonder why they even took the time to change it.

YHZ's transborder service is definitely unique. AA operates both BOS and DCA once weekly only during the summer. Are there any other Canadian airports than only have once weekly service from a US airline?? I feel like this frequency level is very rare from US carriers. For Canadian carriers it isn't common either, but certainly does happen especially with leisure routes. But US carriers usually serve with a decent level of frequency, or not at all. The once weekly seems to be a YHZ phenomenon. Correct me if I'm wrong. It is good for YHZ and shows something at least that they are willing to operate a flight frequency like this instead of just scrapping the routes, like what airlines did it YEG and other cities. I know there's obviously different circumstances, but how these routes operate but AA couldn't do the same on YEG-DFW or YEG-ORD still seems weird

Sub daily frequencies on a US airline to Canada seems very rare, I was surprised to see AA thinks YHZ-BOS 1x weekly is even worth operating. Besides Alaska's temporary drawback in some of western Canada (which is mostly due to operational issues and staffing shortages) I haven't recently seen anything like YHZ-BOS.

nname Oct 2, 2022 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hehehe (Post 9748874)
Sub daily frequencies on a US airline to Canada seems very rare, I was surprised to see AA thinks YHZ-BOS 1x weekly is even worth operating. Besides Alaska's temporary drawback in some of western Canada (which is mostly due to operational issues and staffing shortages) I haven't recently seen anything like YHZ-BOS.

Before the pandemic, there used to be 1x weekly IAD-YVR on UA, 2x weekly DTW-YVR on DL during summer, and 3-5x weekly ATL-YVR on DL during winter.

zahav Oct 2, 2022 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9748928)
Before the pandemic, there used to be 1x weekly IAD-YVR on UA, 2x weekly DTW-YVR on DL during summer, and 3-5x weekly ATL-YVR on DL during winter.

Ahh yes, the IAD-YVR route certianly was one, good call. But even DTW being twice weekly was more understandable, and the YVR-ATL service was frequent enough to not be in the same category. But single weekly flights to two different destinations, and on the same day to boot, is a rarity, and YHZ seems to be the only one. In YVR's case, the weird once or twice weekly flights were strictly because of cruise ships, that's it. Is that true in Halifax's case? I know they have a big cruise indsutry, but I thought much of it was them being a stop on various Atlantic cruise itineraries, as opposed to a home port. Home ports are when the flights really count, since people fly into and leave from the home port, but not typically cities along the cruise route. Just a thought that cruises were a factor, but maybe not and they are just very popular travel days and AA can justify operating both routes. God I wish I still worked for an airline lol

Calfan12 Oct 2, 2022 9:09 PM

Both flights (WO) Swoop Airlines that I was on,were pretty full load of passengers.
WO 302 Edmonton YEG- Toronto YYZ on Friday September 23 2022 & yesterday afternoon returning back home to YEG from YYZ on WO 303 too on October 1.

I had good 1 week trip in Toronto YYZ, area in Eastern Canada.

Also my 1st time to experience to travel on a ultra low-cost carrier (ULCC) Swoop. Was just alright service & not bad. Although Swoop Airlines changed the time of my return flight from evening to afternoon 1 out of YYZ. (As originally the return flight was a evening 1).

casper Oct 3, 2022 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9748944)
Ahh yes, the IAD-YVR route certianly was one, good call. But even DTW being twice weekly was more understandable, and the YVR-ATL service was frequent enough to not be in the same category. But single weekly flights to two different destinations, and on the same day to boot, is a rarity, and YHZ seems to be the only one. In YVR's case, the weird once or twice weekly flights were strictly because of cruise ships, that's it. Is that true in Halifax's case? I know they have a big cruise indsutry, but I thought much of it was them being a stop on various Atlantic cruise itineraries, as opposed to a home port. Home ports are when the flights really count, since people fly into and leave from the home port, but not typically cities along the cruise route. Just a thought that cruises were a factor, but maybe not and they are just very popular travel days and AA can justify operating both routes. God I wish I still worked for an airline lol

Quebec City is the more common home port on the Atlantic side. It is also an airport that has very limited flight options and many passengers end up getting bussed into Montreal.

q12 Oct 3, 2022 12:49 PM

Quote:

Air Canada to Launch New, Non-stop Transborder Routes to the U.S. from Halifax and Vancouver

https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/191...p=distribution

Halifax-Newark, Vancouver-Houston flights convenient for customers

MONTREAL, Oct. 3, 2022 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced new, daily transborder flights between Halifax-and-Newark and Vancouver-and-Houston. The year-round routes will start in December and conveniently link these major urban markets, as well as provide easy onward connections through Air Canada's and its partner United Airlines' global networks.

Air Canada to Launch New, Non-stop Transborder Routes to the U.S. from Halifax and Vancouver (CNW Group/Air Canada)

"With these new routes from Halifax and Vancouver, Air Canada is meeting demand in these important markets and building on our strengthened trans-border partnership with United Airlines to solidify our leadership in the Canada-U.S. market," said Mark Galardo, Senior Vice President, Network Planning and Revenue Management at Air Canada. "These routes will give customers in Atlantic and Western Canada more convenient options for flying to the U.S. They will reinforce the already strong links between Atlantic Canada and New York, while for customers in Western Canada they will provide more options for reaching destinations in Latin America and the Caribbean through United Airlines' Houston hub. They will also facilitate many new one-stop connections from the U.S. onto Air Canada's extensive domestic and global network."

Air Canada is the foreign carrier with the largest number of flights to the U.S. Including these new routes, Air Canada's U.S. network will be 6 per cent above its 2019, pre-pandemic capacity for the summer season of 2023. It serves 51 U.S. airports.

Halifax-Newark

Air Canada's new, year-round Halifax-Newark route will begin December 16, 2022. It will operate daily with an Air Canada Express Q-400 in an all-Economy cabin configuration. The non-stop service is timed to connect conveniently to and from regional centres in Atlantic Canada and, in the U.S., with a variety of destinations through United Airlines' network.

AC8670

Halifax-Newark

11:45

13:04

Daily

AC8669

Newark-Halifax

13:45

16:35

Daily


Vancouver-Houston

Air Canada's new, year-round Vancouver-Houston route will begin December 16, 2022. It will be operated daily with an Air Canada Airbus A220, offering Business and Economy cabins. The non-stop service provides increased options from Western Canada to Texas and connections onward through United Airlines to Latin America and the Caribbean, while providing new convenient one-stop connections from the U.S. to Air Canada's Asia-Pacific network from the airline's Vancouver hub.

AC1300

Vancouver-Houston

08:45

15:08

Daily

AC1301

Houston-Vancouver

16:30

19:15

Daily


All flights provide for Aeroplan accumulation and redemption and, where available, for eligible customers and Aeroplan members, priority check-in, Maple Leaf Lounge access, priority boarding and other benefits.
https://media.aircanada.com/2022-10-...-and-Vancouver

thenoflyzone Oct 3, 2022 1:22 PM

^ Now we know both routes will be year round.

Dominion301 Oct 3, 2022 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9748869)
I know, I wasn't saying it was catastrophic or anything, just pointing it out that it's a change to the status quo, as EWR has been lumped in forever. Other than the fiar change thing, makes no difference, which is why I wonder why they even took the time to change it.

YHZ's transborder service is definitely unique. AA operates both BOS and DCA once weekly only during the summer. Are there any other Canadian airports than only have once weekly service from a US airline?? I feel like this frequency level is very rare from US carriers. For Canadian carriers it isn't common either, but certainly does happen especially with leisure routes. But US carriers usually serve with a decent level of frequency, or not at all. The once weekly seems to be a YHZ phenomenon. Correct me if I'm wrong. It is good for YHZ and shows something at least that they are willing to operate a flight frequency like this instead of just scrapping the routes, like what airlines did it YEG and other cities. I know there's obviously different circumstances, but how these routes operate but AA couldn't do the same on YEG-DFW or YEG-ORD still seems weird

YHZ's mostly a leisure destination, so Saturday-only service on a leisure route isn't unusual when an airline has slack in their fleet, and in the case of DCA, slack in the slots. Not much different than routes to Florida in winter that are weekly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9749371)
^ Now we know both routes will be year round.

^ both of these are just metals swaps with UA. The full effect of the JV is now at work.

zahav Oct 4, 2022 4:12 AM

The YHZ-EWR service is fully replacing UA, UA is not operating the route as far as next summer at least. The YVR-IAH service is only replacing UA for November to late March, at which point UA resumes service alongside AC. So it's a winter replacement, but long term additional.

FYI, neither YHZ-EWR or YVR-IAH are bookable past April 30th at the moment. So either the press release mistakingly called them year-round, or they just haven't been loaded yet (AC usually loads the flights prior to the press release...). But they have been slipping with their press, they still never formally announced YVR-MIA, so who knows!

whatnext Oct 4, 2022 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9741597)
I never realized that HSBC has a decently large presence in the GTA with around 30 branches until I just looked it up. Makes sense though with Toronto’s large Hong King and mainland China populations.

East of Toronto, they’re small. Only 2 branches in Ottawa/the NCR (would be more like 8 if proportional to the GTA). Greater Montreal only has 9, which is actually proportionally higher than the NCR. Quebec City and Halifax both have only a single branch each. HSBC claim they’re the seventh largest bank in Canada.

In Ottawa RBC and Scotia are big with sizeable presences from TD & BMO and Alterna Credit Union, which was formerly CS CO-OP that primarily served public servants. In the case of Scotiabank, their large NCR presence is a legacy of the Bank of Nova Scotia’s 1919 takeover of The Bank of Ottawa. The Caisse Desjardins, CIBC and National(e) all have decent sized presences in the NCR. Maybe YOW can have their parking garage renamed ScotiaPark, lol.

Looks like they'll have to be repainting some jet bridges as the Horribly Sh!tty Bank Company (I used to be a customer) is pulling out of Canada:

HSBC looks to sell Canadian operations that could fetch upwards of $10-billion
JAMES BRADSHAWBANKING REPORTER
PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO

HSBC has put its Canadian business up for sale as part of a strategic review, exploring a possible deal that could fetch upwards of $10-billion as the British-based bank comes under pressure from its largest shareholder to boost its performance.

“We are currently reviewing our strategic options with respect to our wholly owned subsidiary in Canada,” an HSBC HSBC-N +5.36%increase
spokesperson said in an e-mail. “Amongst the options being explored is a potential sale of HSBC Group’s 100-per-cent equity stake in HSBC Bank Canada.”

The Canadian arm of HSBC is the seventh-largest bank in the country with $125-billion in assets and roughly $5-billion of common equity. Its strength in Canada is commercial lending, which accounted for nearly 40 per cent of operating income in the most recent quarter. But it is a full-service bank with wealth management and capital markets divisions, as well as retail branches from B.C. to Quebec.

HSBC has been reviewing its strategy for months as its largest shareholder, Chinese insurance company Ping An, has pushed the British-based bank to consider spinning off its Asian operations. Though HSBC is headquartered in the United Kingdom and has operations around the world, it makes the majority of its revenue in Asia.....


https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...dian-business/

Denscity Oct 4, 2022 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9750396)
The YHZ-EWR service is fully replacing UA, UA is not operating the route as far as next summer at least. The YVR-IAH service is only replacing UA for November to late March, at which point UA resumes service alongside AC. So it's a winter replacement, but long term additional.

FYI, neither YHZ-EWR or YVR-IAH are bookable past April 30th at the moment. So either the press release mistakingly called them year-round, or they just haven't been loaded yet (AC usually loads the flights prior to the press release...). But they have been slipping with their press, they still never formally announced YVR-MIA, so who knows!

When do the YVR MIA flights start?

hollywoodcory Oct 4, 2022 5:35 PM

Also this statement in the press release kind of isn't true:

Quote:

The non-stop service provides increased options from Western Canada to Texas
Is AC flying YVR-DFW this winter? If not, nothing really changes. From Oct. 31-Jan. 3 there is a single daily flight from Western Canada to IAH, and after that its just two daily (One each AC / UA). Which is basically what is offered today.

All in all, this basically sounds like they won't be restarting YYC-IAH and solely leaving it to UA.

thenoflyzone Oct 4, 2022 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9750937)
When do the YVR MIA flights start?

Dec 17, 3x weekly 737 Max 8.

Denscity Oct 5, 2022 3:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9751418)
Dec 17, 3x weekly 737 Max 8.

Thank you and awesome may have to book a week down there this winter.

zahav Oct 5, 2022 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9750952)
Also this statement in the press release kind of isn't true:



Is AC flying YVR-DFW this winter? If not, nothing really changes. From Oct. 31-Jan. 3 there is a single daily flight from Western Canada to IAH, and after that its just two daily (One each AC / UA). Which is basically what is offered today.

All in all, this basically sounds like they won't be restarting YYC-IAH and solely leaving it to UA.

AC does not operate YVR-DFW or YVR-AUS in winter, so adding YVR-IAH is an increase from YVR (increase from zero flights to Texas to once daily mainline). Although it is taking over from UA for the deep winter period, AC's claim is true since they aren't counting UA operated flights.

From YYC I have lost track of what AC operates normally and what their plans are, so couldn't say if they are gaining, losing, or staying the same.

Denscity Oct 5, 2022 4:03 AM

Calgary is losing a lot of AC.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.