SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

chris08876 Apr 20, 2015 10:55 PM

Going to look amazing from the NJ Side. The views from Edgewater and the Palisades will be getting a lot better. All of these supertalls racing to the skies all at the same relative time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTEPman (Post 6997663)

We don't even know what it will really look like either. Obviously, they will light the spire and maybe add some other lighting elements.

One of the few buildings that can make a spire work. Glad with the choice. Fits in well with its sleek blue nature. Not overpowering either.

gramsjdg Apr 21, 2015 12:06 AM

Otie's renders from last summer were pretty damn close: based on relative spire height this looks to be north of 1490...

don't get me started on WTC-1's unclad and therefore architecturally unfinished pathetic excuse for a spire- that building is 1373 ft tall. Period. CTBUH totally caved.

CCs77 Apr 21, 2015 1:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTEPman (Post 6997663)
yeah this building has the potential to look killer at night. This along with 111 will look amazing from Central Park.

We don't even know what it will really look like either. Obviously, they will light the spire and maybe add some other lighting elements.

I think we can take for sure that they will also lit up the crown with those vertical bands.

http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/.../Penthouse.jpg

JayPro Apr 21, 2015 1:18 AM

Gentlemen;
Do be aware also, as the YIMBY (Edit) article stated, that the area of Manhattan where this tower is to rise is app. 70' above sea level. Take the current height levels of the tower as currently estimated from street level by assumption (my emphasis), add the sea level figure and do the math.

We're talking a perceived height of maybe at least 1,850 glorious feet, 150' shy of the grand benchmark many here seek. Because, after all, who but us skyscraper nerd frat brothers are gonna even know that Manhattan Island even has an elevation ASL?

hunser Apr 21, 2015 1:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPro (Post 6997888)
Gentlemen;
Do be aware also, as the NIMBY article stated, that the area of Manhattan where this tower is to rise is app. 70' above sea level. Take the current height levels of the tower as currently estimated from street level by assumption (my emphasis), add the sea level figure and do the math.

We're talking a perceived height of maybe at least 1,850 glorious feet, 150' shy of the grand benchmark many here seek. Because, after all, who but us skyscraper nerd frat brothers are gonna even know that Manhattan Island even has an elevation ASL?

Yes. :D

Jan 19, 2015, 3:34 PM
Quote:

I just looked up Google Maps for elavation figures, for 217W57th it's 24.357m or 79.9ft (79' 11'').

So the parapet (according to the latest DOB filings) is 1,630ft (497m) EL and spire 1,855ft (565m) EL. Damn, this tower will have a massive impact on the skyline!

:cheers:

upward 2000 Apr 21, 2015 3:05 AM

The top of the spire on WTC is 1,806' MSL 1,855 will be the highest elevation to ever be built to in NYC.:cheers:

chris08876 Apr 21, 2015 3:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPro (Post 6997888)
Gentlemen;

Yup. Which is why its good to view the skyline from afar. Things like the ESB are way taller (1550' to the tip of the antenna), 432 Park gains some extra height, One57, and Nordstrom will from this perspective. In terms of perspective, this will dominate WTC1 from the right angles. Being that the roof is taller too.

I think Hoboken is a good spot to view it in the future. Can gain the extra illusion of height due to the topography.

Zapatan Apr 21, 2015 3:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upward 2000 (Post 6998009)
The top of the spire on WTC is 1,806' MSL 1,855 will be the highest elevation to ever be built to in NYC.:cheers:

So basically this building is almost a new tallest for the city in pretty much every way, despite technically being a foot shorter than 1WTC (which still makes me mad actually). :haha:

I love how tiny One57 looks sandwiched between this and 111 w57th too.. :yes:

excel Apr 21, 2015 7:19 AM

New York is a beast. Can't wait to go back soon.

JR Ewing Apr 21, 2015 11:49 AM

Apparently , these are marketing materials and minor revisions are still being implemented. Basically, however, this is what will rise.

NYguy Apr 21, 2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 6996987)

The spire isn't bad. I think I would like it more centered, giving it more of a NY feel, but it's still not bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR Ewing (Post 6997343)

That wraparound view will be such a site, supertalls in every direction.

Resized...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/159813809/original.jpg

hunser Apr 21, 2015 12:13 PM

http://nypost.com/2015/04/21/living-...rdstrom-tower/

Living the high life: First look at 1,775-foot-tall Nordstrom Tower

By Jennifer Gould Keil

Quote:

First-look renderings of what will be the tallest residential building in the Western Hemisphere show a sleek monolith rising out of Midtown and nearly piercing the clouds.

The Nordstrom Tower at 217 W. 57th St. will be a glimmering skyscraper with sweeping views of the East River, the Hudson River and everything in between.

The renderings, first published on the development-news Web site New York Yimby, reveal what the building will look like from the interior and exterior.

However, a source said, the building’s design features “are still being tweaked on a daily basis.”

“The developer is so secretive that people jump whenever anything comes to light,” a source said.

Real-estate sources said that the architect firm, Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture of Chicago, did not create the renderings, and that the images may have been leaked from a marketing source for the building.

The tower itself will stand 1,775 feet tall — one foot shorter than 1 World Trade Center — and will be anchored by a 200,000-square-foot Nordstrom department store, a hotel and offices as well as condos.

The developer also plans to build a penthouse with what could be the highest outdoor space in the city.

Sources said the skyscraper will be stopping 12 inches short of 1WTC’s patriotic height of 1,776 feet out of respect.

“When we were planning the building, we decided that we were going to make it less tall out of respect,” said Nordstrom Tower developer Gary Barnett. “I can’t comment on what other developers plan to do or what our final building will be, but that was the plan.”

The roof height will be 1,479 feet, but an added spire will bring its pinnacle height to 1,775 feet.

Barnett would shed no new light on the renderings of the tower.

NYguy Apr 21, 2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Real-estate sources said that the architect firm, Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture of Chicago, did not create the renderings, and that the images may have been leaked from a marketing source for the building.
Clearly the renderings are not the final, polished renderings we will eventually get.

Quote:

“When we were planning the building, we decided that we were going to make it less tall out of respect,” said Nordstrom Tower developer Gary Barnett. “I can’t comment on what other developers plan to do or what our final building will be, but that was the plan.”
Just stay quiet Barnett. The 1,550 ft tower was a better plan if you're going for "respect".

Zapatan Apr 21, 2015 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunser (Post 6998246)

The roof height will be 1,479 feet, but an added spire will bring its pinnacle height to 1,775 feet.

Hmmm, maybe they'll come to their senses and push past the WTC... also I think the roof is 1,493 now, the article may be mistaken.

sentinel Apr 21, 2015 3:20 PM

This building is insanity. Beautiful, beautiful insanity.

photoLith Apr 21, 2015 3:51 PM

NYC is Coruscant, simply amazing! Cant wait to see all these supertalls in one area in a couple of years.

chris08876 Apr 21, 2015 4:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 6998451)
NYC is Coruscant, simply amazing! Cant wait to see all these supertalls in one area in a couple of years.

Yup and only growing!

A refresher from the highrise thread

1) 152 skyscrapers / high rises u/c
2) 176 ... / ... planned
3) 6792 high rises/skyscrapers existing

Currently Existing:

1) 6003 highrises (Based on the definition and range of height)

AND

2) 789 Skyscrapers (Based on definition of skyscraper and range of height)

Total: 6792 highrises and skyscrapers

- - - - - - - - - - -

Edit: Added extra cities to get an idea ::

Jersey City: 184 high rises and skyscrapers
Newark: 163 ... and ....
Hoboken: 41
Guttenberg: 4
Fort Lee: 38
Union City: 10
West New York: 14
Edgewater: 6
Fairview: 2
Elizabeth: 26
Yonkers: 51

t(NYC + satellites) = 7280 skyscrapers/high rises *

* High Rises comprising most of the numbers, especially for the Gold Coast. Does not include planned or u/c, this is for existing.

drumz0rz Apr 21, 2015 4:54 PM

How tall will the parapet / mechanical space be on the top? This render makes it look like there will be 100s of feet of non-usable space before you hit the "spire"
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...lest-tower.jpg

Zapatan Apr 21, 2015 4:56 PM

What a hilariously inaccurate drawing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drumz0rz (Post 6998576)
How tall will the parapet / mechanical space be on the top? This render makes it look like there will be 100s of feet of non-usable space before you hit the "spire"

I think around 50'

The solid roof of the 1479' design was 1428', if it's up to 1,493 it should maybe be 1440' to the top floor/solid roof

HighwayStar Apr 21, 2015 5:02 PM

Well it actually *is* accurate.. just very badly drawn. The white line from 1479' Parapet does a 90 degree upward turn *exactly* on the edge of the building... I had to do a double-take to see it does go all the way to the red dot on the roof....