SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

eburress Mar 27, 2007 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2722483)
Parking is not a problem at all downtown. Spaces are really all ove rthe place. You just have to know where teh structures are and be willing to pay for it.

Parking downtown can be just like so many women. It is isn't free, but it's easy. You just have to know where to look.

:cheers:

HurricaneHugo Mar 27, 2007 10:34 PM

well i dont like to pay, so i usually park in horton plaza lol

Derek Mar 27, 2007 11:03 PM

^oh...i never park in a structure...i always do the street parking...

Urban Sky Mar 28, 2007 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2722949)
^oh...i never park in a structure...i always do the street parking...

as do i. AND horton plaza notoriously has the WORST crime downtown as far as theft from and of cars.

Derek Mar 28, 2007 2:32 AM

^i didnt know that!:jester: good thing we dont park there ;)

Derek Mar 28, 2007 6:16 AM

"Hotel Indigo" info (not much development news as of right now...so heres some news on a proposed project;))

International Hotels Group is proposing to construct a 210-room hotel at the northeast corner of 9th and Island avenues. Construction is proposed to begin in summer 2007 with a late 2008 completion targeted.

keg92101 Mar 28, 2007 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2710506)
no...i live inbetween Little Italy and Hillcrest on 5th..."Uptown" in one of those midrise condos...but im in downtown nearly everyday...

My point exactly. It seams that everyone that doesn't live in our neighborhood (EV) thinks that we should concentrate all the homeless services here. Why don't we move them up to your neighborhood? They would have better access to balboa park then?

obendega Mar 28, 2007 5:50 PM

I live in the exact same area as Derek and it certainly seems that all the homeless people are already here! And they do love Balboa park.

Derek Mar 28, 2007 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 2724546)
My point exactly. It seams that everyone that doesn't live in our neighborhood (EV) thinks that we should concentrate all the homeless services here. Why don't we move them up to your neighborhood? They would have better access to balboa park then?

not necessarily to keep them concentrated in one area, just getting them off the street so they dont have it as hard, begging people for food and money...i was only saying the East Village because that is virtually where all the homeless reside...why put a shelter somewhere where there isnt a lot of homeless?:shrug:

Derek Mar 28, 2007 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obendega (Post 2724998)
I live in the exact same area as Derek and it certainly seems that all the homeless people are already here! And they do love Balboa park.

theres a few...but there isnt a lot...compared to East Village that is...

ucsbgaucho Mar 29, 2007 3:24 PM

New Navy Complex plans

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...es/navy280.jpg

DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO – The latest design for the proposed Navy office building on the downtown waterfront is reminiscent of a ship, to the delight of some people who opposed the former blocky look that one critic likened to a “Stalinesque prison.”

The Navy office building proposed for the downtown waterfront by Manchester Development has a nautical aspect.
The building is the first of the Navy Broadway Complex redevelopment to have specific plans announced. Manchester Development unveiled the latest look and an updated master plan for the whole four-block parcel yesterday at a Centre City Development Corp. board meeting.

The hotel, office and museum designs for the site have been massaged and re-maneuvered somewhat on the blocks, with more accessable retail space added.

A pedestrian “Paseo” still runs through the four blocks, though it has been narrowed to allow for a more intimate feel, designers said.

Nancy Graham, president of the downtown redevelopment agency, said her staff has worked with Manchester to make the master plan more pedestrian friendly.

“How the buildings meet the street, how they play with the Paseo to create the life,” Graham said, giving examples of the focus she is pushing. “They have a much more human scale and edge to them on Harbor Drive than previously.”

The site is 14.7 acres bordered by Pacific Highway, Harbor Drive and Broadway. In 1992, the Navy and city agreed on a plan to replace old Navy buildings there with blocks of hotels, offices, restaurants, public pathways, a park and a new Navy Region Southwest headquarters building.

A year ago, the Navy chose San Diego businessman Douglas Manchester's firm to develop the site.

Reactions yesterday to the latest incarnation of the master plan were mixed.

CCDC board member Wayne Raffesberger said he supports more open space, not less, and more view corridors.

“I'm still devoted to seeing if we can make those work better than even what we're seeing today,” Raffesberger said.

Board member Kim Kilkenny said he approved of the direction.

“I've had grave concerns about the prior site plans working from a pedestrian and activities standpoint,” Kilkenny said. “I'm beginning to develop some excitement about what I'm beginning to see.”

Just about everyone seemed to like the new Navy office building design.

Seen from above, the shape resembles a ship facing east. That's no mistake. Tucker Sadler Architects, the design firm, said the Navy was part of its inspiration.

The now-curved sides soften what used to be a bulky building, board members said.

“It's tremendously improved. I can't find a strong enough adjective to say how much better it is,” said Gary Smith, Downtown Residents Group president, who compared the earlier design to that of a prison.

Yesterday's discussion was just another step in the process, not the final word. Downtown redevelopment officials said their agency may be able to green-light the master plan in May or June.

Manchester Development President Perry Dealy said his company is under pressure to get started. Dealy called June a “worst-case scenario.”

Manchester wants to be moving on construction permits for the Navy offices and another building in September, he said.

The CCDC's approval isn't the only challenge ahead for Manchester. The California Coastal Commission has asked the developer for more information, and lawsuits are pending against the Navy and the city over their endorsement of the deal.

eburress Mar 29, 2007 6:39 PM

^^ That's not a bad looking building - I definitely like the curved sides.

ucsbgaucho - did you see a link to the updated NBC plan? I can't wait to see what other changes they've made.

PadreHomer Mar 29, 2007 6:56 PM

Will some people not be happy until the site is 4 blocks of grass?

keg92101 Mar 29, 2007 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2725553)
not necessarily to keep them concentrated in one area, just getting them off the street so they dont have it as hard, begging people for food and money...i was only saying the East Village because that is virtually where all the homeless reside...why put a shelter somewhere where there isnt a lot of homeless?:shrug:

The Homeless are there. because the services are there. We need not any more service centers.

Derek Mar 29, 2007 9:59 PM

^so keep the people on the streets? that doesnt seem right...anyways...that new Navy building aint too bad...i wish it had some more height...but it aint too bad:)

Urban Sky Mar 29, 2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2719876)
yeah, it is just a restaurant...and im going tonight;)

my friend drove by the Hooters earlier at around 11:20 and she called me to tell me that it was packed and that there was already a collision getting into or out of the parking lot:jester:

i heard that parking is FUCT up there...in fact, the surrounding businesses have a restraining order on the waitresses so they have to walk up a lame dirt hill to get to work. i heard this from a co-worker who is going tonight. we work about a minute from there.

Derek Mar 29, 2007 10:59 PM

^yeah, the travelodge owner flat out YELLED at me and my friends when i parked in one of his spots...i was like "Ok, i'll fucking move, you could've asked me nicely you fucking dick!"

then he started shouting in Arabic and we all laughed :jester:

yeah, parking sucks there so i ended up parking outside the Radisson up there and walking down...not too far

oh, and the tiny little office building had a car parked across its entrance to its parking lot too, they should demolish it anyway and put more parking...only one of the three offices are occupied...

eburress Mar 29, 2007 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadreHomer (Post 2728212)
Will some people not be happy until the site is 4 blocks of grass?

That's part of what's so annoying about this town. Somebody is always opposed to something. The mayor could write a $1M check to every San Diegan and someone would bitch that the checks weren't made from recyclable paper.

Derek Mar 30, 2007 12:34 AM

^:jester:

OCtoSD Mar 30, 2007 6:07 AM

Or they would complain that the city needs the money and should keep it. And are you sure it was not persian that the guy was yelling in. Most people can not tell the difference between the two languages. They see a Middle Eastern, assume he's Arab, and then make whatever language he is speaking Arabic.