SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Leo the Dog Mar 18, 2015 7:02 PM

Still amazed at Sempra's progress. Once the building reached ground level it topped out fast.

nezbn22 Mar 19, 2015 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6954814)
That Lane Field South Rendering is weak sauce. Have you guys seen the new proposed 38 floor JW Marriott next to Staples Center to go with the 54 floor Ritz/JW combo that has been there for years? Why can't Lane Field South be at least as nice as that tower? We deserve a tall modern luxury hotel tower at the foot of Broadway not that pathetic rendering.

Man I wish Sempra was at least another ten floors taller at least so stumpy. That is a kick ass skyline view from Petco, and please can we get that 500 foot 7th and Market rendering someone posted a few pages back going. That would be a game changer for the SD Skyline just think of that along with BallPark Village and JMI's beast they want to build next to it!!!

Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast when you're trying to build something within the purview of the freaking California Coastal Commission (and the FAA for that matter). Downtown L.A. isn't on the coast, so they have a little more leeway with building impressive structures, not to mention the much larger pile of money L.A. works with.

Frankly, it's a small miracle these Lane Field hotels are being built at all. Here's hoping the Navy Broadway Complex gets past the CCC, too...

mello Mar 19, 2015 7:09 AM

I'm not sure I understand your argument Nez, have you looked at the proposed JW Marriott I spoke of? It isn't taller than what Bosa is building right on the water so why would the Coastal Commission have any issue for that exact same hotel being built at Lane Field South? It is a quality design would fit the site well. Are you saying there is extra scrutiny if you if is hotel project versus condo?

nezbn22 Mar 19, 2015 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6956393)
I'm not sure I understand your argument Nez, have you looked at the proposed JW Marriott I spoke of? It isn't taller than what Bosa is building right on the water so why would the Coastal Commission have any issue for that exact same hotel being built at Lane Field South? It is a quality design would fit the site well. Are you saying there is extra scrutiny if you if is hotel project versus condo?

Good point about the Bosa tower...I have no idea. I guess I figured maybe the Coastal Zone's boundary was Pacific Highway? But that doesn't explain how the Hyatt towers and the Hilton Bayside were built.

It's probably just me defaulting to blaming the Coastal Commission for anything I'm upset about... :tup:

spoonman Mar 19, 2015 11:14 PM

Perhaps the height issue for Lane Field has to do with the project being "Port" land, subjecting it to additional review. That said, I'm not sure that height was ever an issue for Lane Field. I think that the market just dictated a piecemeal approach to hotel development at that site due to the recovering economy.

Northparkwizard Mar 20, 2015 5:58 AM

Flyer for the East Village Green Workshop #1.

http://i.imgur.com/n8gzUzU.png

SDCAL Mar 21, 2015 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 6957912)
Flyer for the East Village Green Workshop #1.

I think the most important thing is to keep it a park, with the focus on trees and nature, and not bog it down with too many other things people might suggest like playgrounds, amphitheater, skate area, etc. - basically anything that needs wide expanses of concrete. I get nervous in these solicit feedback meetings because there will probably be a lot of ideas, many good, but they are ideas that will detract from this being a green space in the city. Since this will be the only significant park space in the neighborhood I would hope for something really focusing simply on trees and nature to contrast with the urban landscape around it. Make it a forrest of trees and nature walks with high rises surrounding ;)

mello Mar 21, 2015 8:00 PM

SDCAL they tried that with Ruocco Park and in my opinion that space is a complete bust. No one is ever there when I have walked by it/through it. I agree with you that if this East Village park is surrounded by 400ft. plus high buildings and you have more creative office jobs in that area simply having green space and mature trees will be awesome. Hopefully they spend some money and bring in trees that are somewhat mature. Maybe a nice water feature to buffer city noises, but not a traditional "fountain". If any of you have ever been to the pool at La Costa Resort and Spa they have an awesome water feature wall that provides the most soothing sound.

Northparkwizard Mar 21, 2015 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 6959143)
I think the most important thing is to keep it a park, with the focus on trees and nature, and not bog it down with too many other things people might suggest like playgrounds, amphitheater, skate area, etc. - basically anything that needs wide expanses of concrete. I get nervous in these solicit feedback meetings because there will probably be a lot of ideas, many good, but they are ideas that will detract from this being a green space in the city. Since this will be the only significant park space in the neighborhood I would hope for something really focusing simply on trees and nature to contrast with the urban landscape around it. Make it a forrest of trees and nature walks with high rises surrounding ;)

I probably won't make the workshop but I like your idea, however I think there's room enough for a "East Village Rec Center" + a large park. Hopefully they keep the old-growth trees and try to relocate the large old house on 14th. Need to calm some of the fast traffic on F and G streets as well.

SDCAL Mar 21, 2015 9:10 PM

Agree with both of you about the mature trees. I think that's one reason north embarcadero seems somewhat underwhelming right now, because the trees and landscaping are very new and will take time to grow out. I'm not a tree/plant expert, but I do have an interest to in it especially downtown. It seems like there has been distinct change in tree landscaping when you look at streets with older developments using queen palms and ficus trees and new developments that use date palms and jacarandas. Some of it may have to do with drought-resistant trees, and I thnk jicarandas are appealing due to growing fast and of course the purple blooms that come in late spring. I have noticed though on 10thave there are some really impressive large ficus trees that seem to thrive in our climate. I really hope that as things develop they try and save these mature trees and icorporate them into new projects

SDCAL Mar 21, 2015 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6959692)
SDCAL they tried that with Ruocco Park and in my opinion that space is a complete bust. No one is ever there when I have walked by it/through it. I agree with you that if this East Village park is surrounded by 400ft. plus high buildings and you have more creative office jobs in that area simply having green space and mature trees will be awesome. Hopefully they spend some money and bring in trees that are somewhat mature. Maybe a nice water feature to buffer city noises, but not a traditional "fountain". If any of you have ever been to the pool at La Costa Resort and Spa they have an awesome water feature wall that provides the most soothing sound.

Ruocco Park is exactly what I was suggesting to AVOID - It's open, not very dense vegetation, just a generic nondescript space. I was thinking of something where you could enter and get lost in - mature trees, more "natural" style landscaping that brings a natural oasis. Maybe I'm being naive because I know a lot of it depends on our climate (doesn't support the huge trees you see like in Central Park) and the size of the space. Anyway, I tried looking on the internet at city parks and couldn't really find anything that matches my "vision". I do agree with you about a natural water feature, maybe something like this:

http://www.thenatureofcities.com/wp-...ox-630x420.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...27060020038255

SDCAL Mar 21, 2015 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6954814)
That Lane Field South Rendering is weak sauce. Have you guys seen the new proposed 38 floor JW Marriott next to Staples Center to go with the 54 floor Ritz/JW combo that has been there for years? Why can't Lane Field South be at least as nice as that tower? We deserve a tall modern luxury hotel tower at the foot of Broadway not that pathetic rendering.

Man I wish Sempra was at least another ten floors taller at least so stumpy. That is a kick ass skyline view from Petco, and please can we get that 500 foot 7th and Market rendering someone posted a few pages back going. That would be a game changer for the SD Skyline just think of that along with BallPark Village and JMI's beast they want to build next to it!!!

I've been waiting years for downtown to get a major large luxury hotel - something like Ritz, Mandarin Oriental, or even JW Marriott. I think the problem is that these chains tend to go into places that are already very well established as opposed to places that are in transition. I think it will be very hard to get any major luxury brand to invest with navy Broadway complex being a huge blight and no concrete date of ground breaking to revitalize it. If our waterfront had navy Broadway developed, luxury retail along the embarcadero, and no huge "gaps" I think a Mandarin or the like would jump on it. But as it is now, it's too disjointed to be a world class destination. I do think the embarcadero has provided a good base for the area but it still feels very disjointed with NBC festering there. Perhaps whatever ends up going into NBC when it does finally get off the ground will include a Mandarin Oriental with awesome bay views, but as things stand right now I can't say I blame the big luxury names for not being interested in LF

And sempra - I like what it's done at ground level with the glass lobby, looks awesome. But the height is pathetic and as far as the skyline view it really just becomes another "stump" in our "plateau" skyline.

Bertrice Mar 21, 2015 11:09 PM

I see Quartyard becoming permanent there at east village green. maybe not the beer garden but the dog run and stage.

ScottSD Mar 22, 2015 9:23 PM

Ballpark Village

These traffic barriers were delivered the other day to the Ballpark Village site. Could this mean site preparations are starting soon?! Hopefully.

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/3226/Lj1dH5.jpg

nezbn22 Mar 23, 2015 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 6959776)
Ruocco Park is exactly what I was suggesting to AVOID - It's open, not very dense vegetation, just a generic nondescript space. I was thinking of something where you could enter and get lost in - mature trees, more "natural" style landscaping that brings a natural oasis. Maybe I'm being naive because I know a lot of it depends on our climate (doesn't support the huge trees you see like in Central Park) and the size of the space. Anyway, I tried looking on the internet at city parks and couldn't really find anything that matches my "vision". I do agree with you about a natural water feature, maybe something like this:

http://www.thenatureofcities.com/wp-...ox-630x420.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...27060020038255

I think you guys will be singing a different tune about Ruocco Park once a few other things transpire. One, it'll look nicer once the trees matrue a bit (same with the Waterfront Park). Two, with such a small area, it'll never be a landmark spot in and of itself. It needs the Navy Broadway Complex and a something new in the Chesapeake Fish Company building's spot. It's sandwiched between crap, so there's no draw to it. Once you surround it with nicer draws, it bet it'll be a nice, welcome spot. Now, the driftwood/boulder sculpture thing on the corner of PCH and Harbor? That's another thing. I won't miss that if it goes...

As for dense trees and vegetation, I LOVE that idea. However, in downtown San Diego we just need to make sure we don't simply create a new shelter for the homeless to hide. Look no further than the Children's Park, and its dense grove of trees...and dense homeless population.

But don't get me wrong, mature trees are highly underrated and valuable. Just want to make sure it's done right.

mello Mar 23, 2015 6:56 PM

Speaking of mature trees what was up with the city hacking the giant trees along embarcadero park and same type on Harbor Island way back to little nubs? They provided no shade for two hot summers and look like absolute crap! I don't understand San Diego's hard on for uber tree trimming and this was one of the most noticeable examples.

bobbyv Mar 23, 2015 7:37 PM

Crickets...........

Lipani Mar 24, 2015 3:59 AM

Hillcrest getting striped for buffered bike lane on 5th Ave. With the best weather in the continental US it's good to see our cycling infrastructure get some improvements.

http://i57.tinypic.com/suvbc8.jpg
Photo credit: Walter Scott Chambers III

Leo the Dog Mar 24, 2015 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lipani (Post 6962321)
Hillcrest getting striped for buffered bike lane on 5th Ave. With the best weather in the continental US it's good to see our cycling infrastructure get some improvements.

Awesome! Now if the city could only redesign Ingraham St. In Mission Bay Park for a safer pedestrian/biking route between PB/OB/Pt. Loma.

ucsbgaucho Mar 24, 2015 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lipani (Post 6962321)

http://i57.tinypic.com/suvbc8.jpg
Photo credit: Walter Scott Chambers III

I'm surprised more cities aren't following in SLC's footsteps when it comes to bike lanes and parallel parking. The bike lane on the inside of the street is dangerous, and SLC is now switching them, having the bike lane on the far outside of the street against the curb, and cars parking inside that lane. That way, cars and bikes never have to "cross" each other when coming and going. Like this:
http://www.slcgov.com/sites/default/...squatters1.jpg