SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Supertall Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=323)
-   -   JEDDAH | Kingdom Tower | 3,303 FT / 1007 M | ON HOLD (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135116)

JDRCRASH Nov 15, 2010 10:46 PM

Probably at least 5 years.

kiwi4life Nov 16, 2010 12:46 AM

i give or take 7-8 yrs to build this megastructure

GulfArabia Nov 16, 2010 1:27 AM

(insider information)

as written in the contract:
the kingdom tower will take 70 months
the kingdom city will take 120 months

kiwi4life Nov 16, 2010 5:41 AM

so roughly just under 6 yrs, thanks GulfArabia, any more pics on the site or nothing happening yet?

Infernal_Elf Nov 16, 2010 12:48 PM

this new dual top design is very cool reminds me abit of the never built pinnacle in Dubai.

will indeed be very intresting to see the final renderings

Tom In Chicago Nov 16, 2010 7:32 PM

I'm issuing another warning here. . . you forum newbies who try to derail threads will be dealt with swiftly. . . if you can't stay on topic or post without inflammatory remarks or insinuations you will be suspended. . . no further warnings will be given from this point on. . .

This thread is about the tower being built in Jeddah. . . if you would like to discuss labor relations please do so on another forum. . .

. . .

GulfArabia Nov 22, 2010 6:09 AM

Besix: we expect Binladin to win Kingdom Tower

The Belgian contractor in the running for the world’s tallest tower contract has said it expects its Saudi-based competitor to win the deal.

Dubai-based firm Besix in partnership with El Seif Engineering & Contracting, is up against the Saudi Binladin Group for the 1-km high ‘Kingdom Tower’ in Jeddah, and is hoping to hear back from the decision-makers soon.

The contractors, which are both renowned for their flagship projects, were actually meant to find out which firm had been awarded the contract in September, but as yet as still waiting.

Speaking about the firm’s geographical expansion plans, Philippe Dessoy, general manager of subsidiary firm Six Construct, told Construction Week: “For more than a year we have been looking at Saudi Arabia.

"We put a tender together for the Kingdom Tower, and we’re on the shortlist with Binladin, but I expect the job to go to Binladin.”

That said, the GM of the Burj Khalifa builder, and firm responsible for Abu Dhabi’s recently-completed Sheikh Zayed Bridge, did add that he hoped to win a contract in Saudi by the middle of next year.

“We hope to win a project in Saudi as soon as possible, but we don’t expect anything for another few months. We hope to have a project before summer next year.”

With more than 200 floors, Kingdom Tower will stand higher than the Burj Khalifa, which is currently the world's tallest man-made structure at 828m.

Last year, developer Emaar, also responsible for the Burj Khalifa, was selected by Kingdom Holdings Company (KHC) to supervise construction of the tower and surrounding city development, estimated to cost a massive US$40 billion to build.

In September 2010, the two contractors competing for the project had to revise their prices due to changes to the design.

Source

jigglysquishy Nov 22, 2010 4:22 PM

I really hope they change the design. The needle does nothing for me.

GulfArabia Nov 22, 2010 7:15 PM

insider source says the project will be launched any day now :banana:

Quote:

مصادرنا الخاصة تؤكد ان المشروع سينطلق والمؤتمر الصحفي سيوضح ذلك قريبا

مبروك ياهل جدة
كل عام وانتم بخير
http://www.tmleek.com

kiwi4life Nov 23, 2010 3:54 AM

wooho, right on!! good to hear, great news, this will go down in history!

MolsonExport Nov 23, 2010 4:49 PM

Where is the math that shows this tower could sustain itself, financially? I am just curious.

Tom In Chicago Nov 23, 2010 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 5066602)
Where is the math that shows this tower could sustain itself, financially? I am just curious.

Where's the math that shows ANY of the worlds-tallest-building contenders could sustain itself, financially? I'm just curious.

. . .

MolsonExport Nov 23, 2010 4:59 PM

^the answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.

Tom In Chicago Nov 23, 2010 5:07 PM

Indeed it is ;)

JDRCRASH Nov 24, 2010 12:29 AM

I'm glad it looks like they changed the design.

kiwi4life Nov 24, 2010 3:46 AM

i will be suprised at how the foundation for such a never before attempt on a structure like this would turn out, for example, the pilings, basement depth, what the water table is like there, what type of cement they use, the footings if any, the amount of reinforcement they use, what diameter rebar will be used, how big the core/elevator shaft, all those factors and many more

Infernal_Elf Nov 24, 2010 7:17 PM

yes kiwi4life indeed it will be. And if they really want to totally outdo
Burj Khalifah they might have to to come up with alot of tottaly new solutions and approaches design vise.

and when it comes to water pumps and other liquids needed to be transported up through the building they might have to make certain stories with big tanks and valves to reset the height.

because not all pumps can handle all the height and bends in the tubes when it gets so high as this and theoretically u need 1 bar for each ten meter you want to pump water straight up and that is with no bends at all so if they go for some apartments at the height of 1000 meters they will need pumps capable of at least 150 bar probably much more because of bends and resistance in the pipes. or they can go for the other solution but that will be very space demanding .

and the pressure on the ground will be tremendous. actually after the Tapei 101 was completed the area closest to that building started suffering from more quakes most likely related to the building. luckily they dont have that problem in most of the Arabic half isle.

kiwi4life Nov 25, 2010 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infernal_Elf (Post 5068287)
yes kiwi4life indeed it will be. And if they really want to totally outdo
Burj Khalifah they might have to to come up with alot of tottaly new solutions and approaches design vise.

and when it comes to water pumps and other liquids needed to be transported up through the building they might have to make certain stories with big tanks and valves to reset the height.

because not all pumps can handle all the height and bends in the tubes when it gets so high as this and theoretically u need 1 bar for each ten meter you want to pump water straight up and that is with no bends at all so if they go for some apartments at the height of 1000 meters they will need pumps capable of at least 150 bar probably much more because of bends and resistance in the pipes. or they can go for the other solution but that will be very space demanding .

and the pressure on the ground will be tremendous. actually after the Tapei 101 was completed the area closest to that building started suffering from more quakes most likely related to the building. luckily they dont have that problem in most of the Arabic half isle.

yup you know exactly what im trying to get at and talk about, im glad;), there will be so much to consider, i can imagine there will be some new technology invented for structural engineering im this project, a lot of things will have to be looked at

kiwi4life Dec 4, 2010 6:14 PM

Anybody hear any more news on the contractors, developers, Architects, or construction date, or even anymore pictures of the site GulfArabia?

Infernal_Elf Dec 12, 2010 3:41 PM

yeah some news again would be amazing

must have been something more to report by now hopefully :D

really want to see this start up and see some Stunning final renderings