SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Ayreonaut Nov 13, 2012 7:35 PM

I couldn't care less about H&M. ;)

Robg Nov 13, 2012 7:49 PM

They could be waiting to the future avalon mall expansion. I was speaking with a friend who is a long time tenant and he was saying the mall is going to under take extensive expansion in the next few years including a parking structure and using some of the land they own around the toys r us shopping plaza.

Arrakis Nov 13, 2012 8:18 PM

If the mall expands again, they have to put a second floor all the way down to Sears from the escalators at Fog City. And then build a parking garage on the O'Leary avenue side. They could probably build a second parking garage near the Columbus Drive Thorburn Rd Parking lot if need be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robg (Post 5900268)
They could be waiting to the future avalon mall expansion. I was speaking with a friend who is a long time tenant and he was saying the mall is going to under take extensive expansion in the next few years including a parking structure and using some of the land they own around the toys r us shopping plaza.

Townie709 Nov 13, 2012 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robg (Post 5900268)

Great news! The Avalon Mall is long overdue for an expansion. I always wondered why they haven't yet because they have so much land!

Looking forward to it in the coming years!

jeddy1989 Nov 13, 2012 9:43 PM

:previous:
This excites me VERY much! I hope they are going to build up! and not like another wing .. or worse a bigger strip or something stupid

This could be a very significant mall in Atlantic Canada :D

I CANNOT wait to hear more about this!

Townie709 Nov 13, 2012 9:58 PM

Well by the sounds of it you could be waiting a few years :haha:

I hope they add a second story from the theaters to sears like was mentioned above. I also hope it would not just be another new wing. It would be awesome if they could take out those low ceilings in that area and have two open levels and a skylit ceiling! (Kind of like the eaton center)

I'm also excited to hear more about this in the future. I will just try to be patient because I don't expect to hear anymore on this for a while.

jeddy1989 Nov 14, 2012 3:56 AM

OK so I was in the Avalon mall for a movie tonight and notice some changes

the Envy store is now fully moves, there is now a games store (board games and such) where Envy use to be. There is a new store next to psudio where a jewelry store was and it's called Lids, It's not open yet but you can see that it's a hat store.

Also foot locker seems to have moved it's operation next to the new Envy and has one entrance .. BUT like half of the space (where it use to be on the corner) is not accessible and I don't know why, it is the size of like an entire other store :shrug:
there are SO many kiosks now it's like holy crap expand already Alavon mall! lol

PoscStudent Nov 14, 2012 4:08 AM

I've been to Lids in other cities, they sell nothing by hats I believe.

jeddy1989 Nov 14, 2012 2:01 PM

So we now have three walmarts in St. John's and one in Mount Pearl, this definitely covers the areas of the city better. All they need now to be idealy cnvenient is one in CBS as well.

just out of curiosity how many walmarts are in Halifax? (not that it's a measure of anything ahha I'm just curious)

SignalHillHiker Nov 14, 2012 2:04 PM

I wish it wasn't Walmart. Even something like Target is a better employer. Granted, you can't judge American corporations by their employment practices in the States because the law offers much better protections for employees in Canada and they're required to comply when doing business here... but, still... I hate supporting companies that have Walmart's negative influence on quality of life, and also I hate supporting big box developments. Argh!

MonctonRad Nov 14, 2012 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5901093)
So we now have three walmarts in St. John's and one in Mount Pearl, this definitely covers the areas of the city better. All they need now to be idealy cnvenient is one in CBS as well.

just out of curiosity how many walmarts are in Halifax? (not that it's a measure of anything ahha I'm just curious)

Not sure about Halifax, but there are two in Moncton for about 142k people. If metro St. John's has four (for about 196k people), then you guys are definitely more Walmartified than we are... :)

Marty_Mcfly Nov 14, 2012 2:42 PM

There are 4 Wal Mart locations in the HRM. 2 in Halifax, one in Dartmouth, and one in Lower Sackville. All of a sudden our 4 locations seems a little overkill.

jeddy1989 Nov 14, 2012 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5901125)
There are 4 Wal Mart locations in the HRM. 2 in Halifax, one in Dartmouth, and one in Lower Sackville. All of a sudden our 4 locations seems a little overkill.

I think the ones in Halifax are larger (I could be wrong) so I think we are just spreading it out because we are a bit more spread out

I think you could put like two more here and they'd all still do very well hahaha

Arrakis Nov 14, 2012 3:15 PM

I looked into the rumor of a Kelsey's opening in St. John's in the near future as they had Newfoundland listed on their website as one of the provinces where they have a location. However, I was informed by Kelsey's yesterday that they have no plans at this time to open a restaurant here and that website Newfoundland listing was a mistake and will be corrected soon. I do recall however some time ago, there was an ad in the Telegram looking for possible franchisee's for Kelsey's and Milestones for this province.

PoscStudent Nov 14, 2012 3:43 PM

I don't see anything wrong with Wal Mart.

Ayreonaut Nov 14, 2012 4:15 PM

If other people want to shop at Wal-Mart, whatever, but I haven't been to one in nearly two years and don't see myself going anytime in the near future.

I'm sure I could actually form an argument for being fundamentally opposed to them if I had the time or ambition to look at their structure, policies, and impacts on nearby businesses, but I have neither right now.

SignalHillHiker Nov 14, 2012 4:21 PM

We have the same number of Walmarts as Halifax? That's ridiculous. Talk about a sign our suburban sprawl is awful. Only one of our Walmarts is central, right?

icetea93 Nov 14, 2012 4:27 PM

Yeah there are 4 Walmarts in Halifax, though I think there will be 1-2 more due to the Target takeover of some Zeller's locations.

The Walmarts here are mostly very large, especially the Dartmouth Crossing and Bayer's Lake stores which will soon become Walmart Supercentres.

SignalHillHiker Nov 14, 2012 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetea93 (Post 5901260)
Yeah there are 4 Walmarts in Halifax, though I think there will be 1-2 more due to the Target takeover of some Zeller's locations.

The Walmarts here are mostly very large, especially the Dartmouth Crossing and Bayer's Lake stores which will soon become Walmart Supercentres.

Argh, I want a proper Target so bad. It'd be nice to have a real alternative to Walmart that's actually as good.

I was so excited about that coming to Winnipeg but I left before it happened, ha!

jeddy1989 Nov 14, 2012 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 5901276)
Argh, I want a proper Target so bad. It'd be nice to have a real alternative to Walmart that's actually as good.

I was so excited about that coming to Winnipeg but I left before it happened, ha!

umm we are bud lol It's opening in the zellers on stavanger

also the walmart on stavanger is supose to turn into a supercentre, my sister works there and they've been talking about it for a while, it's either suppose to expand behind the existing building or build a new one behind it.

SignalHillHiker Nov 14, 2012 4:40 PM

Seriously? :D Awesome!

I know it's weird to be so excited about something like a Target but I just really like that store. I'd be just as excited if a Warehouse One came to St. John's. Those jeans were made for me.

Walmart Super Centres are the ones that sell groceries, etc., right? I did end up in one that did in Winnipeg. Very interesting selection of unusual fruit and produce. It was cool. But I still hated myself for going there, ha!

statbass Nov 14, 2012 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5901281)
umm we are bud lol It's opening in the zellers on stavanger

also the walmart on stavanger is supose to turn into a supercentre, my sister works there and they've been talking about it for a while, it's either suppose to expand behind the existing building or build a new one behind it.

Ahh... interesting. With the full grocery store we might get groceries at a decent price rather than getting ripped off at Sobey's and/or Dominion.

icetea93 Nov 14, 2012 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 5901286)
Seriously? :D Awesome!

I know it's weird to be so excited about something like a Target but I just really like that store. I'd be just as excited if a Warehouse One came to St. John's. Those jeans were made for me.

Walmart Super Centres are the ones that sell groceries, etc., right? I did end up in one that did in Winnipeg. Very interesting selection of unusual fruit and produce. It was cool. But I still hated myself for going there, ha!

They have a Warehouse One in the Truro Mall in Truro, and that's the only one I've ever seen. I had no idea they were a chain...

SignalHillHiker Nov 14, 2012 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetea93 (Post 5901301)
They have a Warehouse One in the Truro Mall in Truro, and that's the only one I've ever seen. I had no idea they were a chain...

Yeah, I discovered it in Winnipeg - so it has to be a chain. It's cheap - the type of place you go for a throw-away outfit before a night out downtown. But the jeans are awesome if you have big thighs and they last pretty long for cheap jeans - at least 3-6 months.

statbass Nov 14, 2012 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5901169)
I looked into the rumor of a Kelsey's opening in St. John's in the near future as they had Newfoundland listed on their website as one of the provinces where they have a location. However, I was informed by Kelsey's yesterday that they have no plans at this time to open a restaurant here and that website Newfoundland listing was a mistake and will be corrected soon. I do recall however some time ago, there was an ad in the Telegram looking for possible franchisee's for Kelsey's and Milestones for this province.

Darn... I was kinda looking forward to seeing a Kelsey's coming to town. Oh well, maybe someday. :cheers:

SignalHillHiker Nov 14, 2012 5:52 PM

Kelsey's is good - but I think Montana's and Klondike Jake's are good alternatives until one arrives.

Arrakis Nov 14, 2012 7:17 PM

But you know, the corporate offices of these places never give you a straight answer when you inquire about stuff like this. So never say never.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5901369)
Darn... I was kinda looking forward to seeing a Kelsey's coming to town. Oh well, maybe someday. :cheers:

Ayreonaut Nov 14, 2012 9:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 5901406)
Kelsey's is good - but I think Montana's and Klondike Jake's are good alternatives until one arrives.

Pretty much. Most of those places (not sure what to call it, mid-priced chain?) are fairly similar anyways (add Ricky's, Original Joe's, Milestone's, Moxie's, Baton Rouge, etc). Ribs are always too saucy, but the food is generally decent but never outstanding.

icetea93 Nov 14, 2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut (Post 5901668)
Pretty much. Most of those places (not sure what to call it, mid-priced chain?) are fairly similar anyways (add Ricky's, Original Joe's, Milestone's, Moxie's, Baton Rouge, etc). Ribs are always too saucy, but the food is generally decent but never outstanding.

Baton Rouge is leagues ahead of the other chains mentioned IMO. At least the Halifax Bagon Rouge is. Fairly pricy though...

Ayreonaut Nov 14, 2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetea93 (Post 5901702)
Baton Rouge is leagues ahead of the other chains mentioned IMO. At least the Halifax Bagon Rouge is. Fairly pricy though...

Haha, I had actually typed out that it was better than the rest, but decided to backspace it all. The one in Calgary shut down, and I was actually fairly upset. I love how everything on the menu tastes smoked. :) I'd say it's not far off the Keg's pricing though.

SignalHillHiker Nov 14, 2012 10:29 PM

I've not had Baton Rouge yet. I'll have to give it a try next time I'm in a city that has one.

How would you guys rank Tony Roma's in with these? That's where we often went for ribs in Winnipeg.

I think some of the Quebec chains have us all beat, though. I've never had bad ribs in Montreal.

Also: *chest bump*, *roar*, RIBS! lol Talking about it makes me feel like kinda a tool.

Ayreonaut Nov 14, 2012 11:45 PM

Oh yeah, Tony Roma's is right in there.

Honestly though, I've yet to have good ribs at a restaurant anywhere. I don't like super saucy ribs, and prefer dryer ones (I mean, still saucy, but the sauce should go on before they come off the grill/out of the broiler so that it stickies up rather than just slather it on there afterwards). I also don't like 'fall off the bone' as I like to gnaw on bones for a while, and almost all restaurants seem to slowcook or maybe even pre-boil ribs so you can pretty much pull all the meat off with your hands. That's a no-go with me.

Marty_Mcfly Nov 15, 2012 3:02 AM

Lets be honest here. All we really need is Your Fathers Moustache to begin expansion and open a restaurant here. You know I'm right :tup:

Ayreonaut Nov 15, 2012 3:18 AM

I've never heard of it, but even if it served slop I'd have to go at least once to say I've eaten at Your Father's Moustache!

Robg Nov 15, 2012 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5902008)
Lets be honest here. All we really need is Your Fathers Moustache to begin expansion and open a restaurant here. You know I'm right :tup:

You are really right, I love that place!

PoscStudent Nov 15, 2012 4:02 AM

The mens washroom in Your Fathers Moustache is one of the oddest places I've ever been.

Ayreonaut Nov 15, 2012 4:29 AM

Sounds like I need to make another visit to Halifax.

SignalHillHiker Nov 15, 2012 1:20 PM

I've never heard of it either - but now I'm curious. I assume it's in Halifax, based on Ayre's comment?

Arrakis Nov 15, 2012 3:40 PM

Erin's Pub on Water Street has new owners. Bob Hallett of Great Big Sea and Chris Andrews of Shanneyganock have purchased it. Hopefully the guys will put some serious cash in renovating it. The exterior is dire need of an update. It is really dumpy looking right now. They need to get rid of that corrugated steel siding and that stupid round window. (How did that design get approved originally anyway? A big circular window and corrugated steel siding in a heritage area?).

http://thescope.ca/storefront/same-tune-different-key

SignalHillHiker Nov 15, 2012 4:03 PM

Great news! :)

And yes, that building is awful. I remember when it used to be... wasn't Liquid right there? I forget what was in it.

jeddy1989 Nov 15, 2012 4:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 5902479)
Great news! :)

And yes, that building is awful. I remember when it used to be... wasn't Liquid right there? I forget what was in it.

Liquid is still there, its the round window part, Erin's pub is just on the bottom floor

Arrakis Nov 15, 2012 5:10 PM

Either way, it's still a hideous looking building and needs a major overhaul to make it fit in with the Water Street facade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5902535)
Liquid is still there, its the round window part, Erin's pub is just on the bottom floor

jeddy1989 Nov 15, 2012 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5902549)
Either way, it's still a hideous looking building and needs a major overhaul to make it fit in with the Water Street facade.

oh I completely agree

J_Murphy Nov 19, 2012 2:00 PM

Zellers/Target

I was at Zellers on Stavanger over the weekend. They have now started their closing sales and have everything in the store posted at 10-30 percent off. So, my guess is they are planning to empty the store over Christmas and will likely be closing early in the new year to make way for Target.

Arrakis Nov 19, 2012 2:22 PM

Didn't someone on here say Zellers was closing in March?

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5906492)
I was at Zellers on Stavanger over the weekend. They have now started their closing sales and have everything in the store posted at 10-30 percent off. So, my guess is they are planning to empty the store over Christmas and will likely be closing early in the new year to make way for Target.

J_Murphy Nov 19, 2012 2:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5906504)
Didn't someone on here say Zellers was closing in March?

http://corporate.target.ca/m/company/our-stores\

Actually, i just checked the Target website and it states that they won't be opening until Winter 2013. Seems a bit early for Zellers to being their "Everything must go" sale.

statbass Nov 19, 2012 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5906540)
http://corporate.target.ca/m/company/our-stores\

Actually, i just checked the Target website and it states that they won't be opening until Winter 2013. Seems a bit early for Zellers to being their "Everything must go" sale.

Winter 2013 is just a couple months away.

J_Murphy Nov 19, 2012 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5906543)
Winter 2013 is just a couple months away.

I interpreted that meaning later in 2013 and that if it was opening in March, it would say Spring 2013....but perhaps I am wrong.
Either way, if you are looking for sales, time to get to Zellers before the shelves are ravaged!

Arrakis Nov 19, 2012 3:52 PM

Also heard the rumor that Target will be building onto the old Zellers building on Stavanger too as it is pretty small for a Target store.

Ayreonaut Nov 19, 2012 4:59 PM

Winter 2013 could be Jan or Feb though. They should really use quarters to avoid confusion.