SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

spoonman Apr 18, 2012 12:47 AM

I hadn't heard of the tunnel proposal.

I don't know why people move near freeways and airports, then complain about the expansion and/or effects. Same problem with Carlsbad/Palomar Airport's proposed runway expansion.

mello Apr 18, 2012 4:12 AM

I've been trying to figure out one reason why residents of Carmel Valley wouldn't want the interchange ramp completed? In the immediate area there are only offices, hotels, and restaurants. There are no homes that even would have their view affected by the ramps... This makes absolutely no sense. The state of CA should say "the freeway is completed no more lawsuits or attempts to block progress." CA is such a f**cking joke sometimes.

Derek Apr 18, 2012 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 5670404)
CA is such a f**cking joke sometimes.

Precisely.

kpexpress Apr 19, 2012 9:36 AM

EAST VILLAGE RESIDENTS GROUP MEETING THURSDAY 5:30PM AT THE EAST VILLAGE COMMUNITY CHURCH.

There will be an incredible presentation on the past, present and future of the East Village.

OneMetropolis Apr 19, 2012 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 5666846)
My perspective

What I was getting at in my post was that priorities are the driving factor in getting these projects done (or envisioned). LA's priorities are not in freeway building, which is how they've been able to shift funds and pass measures.

LA has not held freeways as a priority since the freeway revolts of the 70's. Their traffic is as bad as it is because many of the envisioned routes were never built. LA largely stopped execution of it's vision due to revolts and changing priorities. Unfortunately that change in priorities somehow evolved into total neglect and apathy. This neglect has made the existing freeways unable to stay current with demand, as have SD and OC freeways. In contrast, San Diego has nearly completed it's long term freeway system envisioned in the 40's and 50's. So has Orange County.

As far as the 405 goes, adding one lane in each direction is a band-aid and a joke. Another example of neglect is the 5 from downtown LA to the OC county line. There the 5 are only 3 lanes each way. There are very few major freeway projects underway in LA, as freeway projects don't fit the progressive agenda. The mantra is let the freeways rot until people embrace rail as the solution (not that I think it's not viable).

I agree more needs to be done in SD to accelerate rail growth such as passing a measure like a one-cent sales tax increase. My point though was that everything is just a matter of priorities (not that this is something we don't already know), and LA has probably been able to push further quicker because major new freeway projects are a non-starter.

As far as SD's recent freeway progress goes, I actually believe SANDAG and Caltrans have done a good job. Some major recent and ongoing projects include:

-15 additional managed lanes
-Completed the 56 freeway (better late than never)
-Completed the 52 extension to the 67 freeway
-Completed the 125 extension to the border
-Starting work on the 905 extension to the Otay Mesa crossing
-Extending carpool lanes onto the 805 with new Direct Access ramps at Sorrento Vly Rd

I wish they would add the additional connector ramps needed for the 56...that's my peeve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMetropolis (Post 5668400)
I guess your right regrading the freeway issue in LA.

Actually, I take that back. I read again about the Measure R initiative, and That Measure covers freeways too, so your analysis is inaccurate. LA has more of a drive than San Diego end of story.

kpexpress Apr 19, 2012 8:09 PM

New BOSA tower proposed for Pacific Coast Highway and Broadway. Thoughts?

CCAC Predesign is scheduled to review the project on May 15, 5:00PM.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/2a12b18d.jpg

SDfan Apr 19, 2012 8:14 PM

Sexy, fu*king sexy. I mean, I need to see more, but this is just so much more lovely then a balcony covered box.

kpexpress Apr 19, 2012 8:19 PM

I've always thought that the waterfront needs something with some curves!

tyleraf Apr 19, 2012 10:16 PM

Wow! Sexy curves and gorgeous design. I can't wait for this to be built. Any ideas on height?

Lipani Apr 19, 2012 11:55 PM

Awesome! Looks like one of the best proposals we've had in a long time.

patriotizzy Apr 20, 2012 12:29 AM

*Bows down*
If this is not built, I will cut myself.

Illithid Dude Apr 20, 2012 1:41 AM

Dead sexy.

spoonman Apr 20, 2012 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMetropolis (Post 5672402)
Actually, I take that back. I read again about the Measure R initiative, and That Measure covers freeways too, so your analysis is inaccurate. LA has more of a drive than San Diego end of story.

Once again you jump to conclusions and miss the point. If you know politics, you know that often times bills for roads include public transportation, just as bills for public transportation often include roads. Bill or Measure, this had to be equitable to enough people to pass.

I was blessing you with insight from someone that has lived in both SD and LA, and I can tell you LA has done little to improve it's freeways over the past decade +. That is not an analysis, it' an observation.

spoonman Apr 20, 2012 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5672504)

very nice...how much?

Looks like about 40 floors...probably about the same height as Electra

LosAngelesDreamin Apr 20, 2012 3:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5672504)

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/2a12b18d.jpg

OMG... first time i looked at this i was thinkin maybe its a tower proposed for another city that someone wished was in San Diego, but HOLY SHIT ON AN ALTAR... it's for San Diego :banana:

If the city doesn't build this then i will just lose faith in everything SD. I hope NIMBYs don't complain how tall it's going to be :(

LosAngelesDreamin Apr 20, 2012 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 5672983)
very nice...how much?

Looks like about 40 floors...probably about the same height as Electra

Electra residents better not complain about their goddamn views either >:( I WANT THIS BUILT!!

mongoXZ Apr 20, 2012 4:33 AM

Wow I don't think Ive seen an early proposal garner so much rave reviews. I'd like to see different renders of the thing myself. It seems curved in the east facing side while the pointed apex of the curve (north face) is the highest elevation. SDfan mentioned no balconies but I do believe those things in the middle (west face) are indeed balconies. I don't mind. Just as long as it isn't another box.

Here's to hoping that this is the begining of an upward trend in the economy and more proposals like this surface in the future.:cheers::notacrook:

mello Apr 20, 2012 4:50 AM

That Bosa tower looks great, finally something is going to rise on that lot. We really need to get the Pacific Hwy corridor going it is such a disgrace right now. Electra people can't complain their building blocked views and I think it is well established that premium downtown lots will be built out to near 500 feet going forward.

LosAngelesDreamin Apr 20, 2012 6:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 5673166)
That Bosa tower looks great, finally something is going to rise on that lot. We really need to get the Pacific Hwy corridor going it is such a disgrace right now. Electra people can't complain their building blocked views and I think it is well established that premium downtown lots will be built out to near 500 feet going forward.

I use to work at the security gate right across the street from this tower at the navy broadway complex.. during night shift i would always gaze at the towers in front of me and always imagined a tower rising on that lot in front of the gate entrance and how cool it would look.

I agree, that waterfront area is embarrassing, especially since its the gateway into downtown for people coming from the cruise ships.

This is like a dream come true lol :D hopefully it materializes, and hopefully Lane field soon also.

kpexpress Apr 20, 2012 9:09 AM

i believe it will be around 470' tall.

IF YOU LIKE THIS DESIGN, PLEASE COME TO OUR PREDESIGN MEETING TO SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ASK THE ARCHITECTS AND THE DEVELOPER QUESTIONS AND OFFER YOUR OWN COMMENTS REGARDING THE PROJECT.

THE MEETING IS MAY 15, 5:00PM AT CCDC HEADQUARTERS (WELLS FARGO BUILDING ON B STREET 4TH FLOOR)

COME TO THE DAMN MEETING, PLEASE.