SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Fusey Sep 6, 2008 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 3782008)
As I was heading up Broadway this evening I saw quite a large project that just got underway, but I have never heard of it and it isn't listed on CCDC. It is next to the sunrise apartment complex on Broadway and 16th street. Does anyone have any info on it?

I think the City College owns that land. I know they used it for parking last spring.

bmfarley Sep 6, 2008 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3782048)
EXACTLY this is what I have been saying all along and why I will vote no on the HSR proposition

They took the San Diego route out of the first phase and put wording in the plan that SD and Sac lines are dependant on the "profitability" of the LA-SF line.

What a joke. They just want to string us along so OUR tax money will bennefit LA and SF, it's not right

If they are going to collect taxes from SD and Sacramento residents and NOT use our money to build anything here they can go to hell.

Why should WE contribute our hard earned funds for a project that will bennefit LA and SF and have our turn not even be guaranteed

Hell, I would rather pay taxes to get the library off the ground than to beef up infrastructure that won't even be part of SD County

RIP OFF!!

That is definately a valid concern. Although Prop 1A will allow bond funding for any segment, it's only accessible if it does not jeopardize the SF to LA segment. That is the first prioity phase right now, and rightly so. It's also worth mentioning three other things... 1) 1A it's not a new tax, 2) funding would also go to the Trolley and Coaster, and 3) state funding would be leveraged with Federal and private funding (best case scenario is that for every $1 put in by the state, $2 from other sources come forward).

In my opinion, I don't think San Diego and Sacramento officials would tolerate being left out of the system after the initial link is up and running for too long. I would also think others in the state would be sensative to that too and would not let local voices go unheard. Short of an economic collapse of the state... or catasrophic poor implementation of the first phase... San Diego and Sacramento will get connected. In reality, I believe final planning and fund programming would commence on SD and Sac links before the first scheduled train beteen LA and SF leaves the station.

bmfarley Sep 6, 2008 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 3781354)
What do think the likelihood is of this project going through? I say zero to none. One can dream, though.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...3/Original.jpg

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/new...ng_on_dec.html

Where does that image come from? Official from someone? That appears much more robust than a football stadium atop a deck.... office towers?

Also, the Bay still looks walled off.... it is now, but it's not like this improves on existing conditions.

HurricaneHugo Sep 7, 2008 9:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 3781343)
Just some shots from this past weekend -

Sapphire and Bayside as seen from Harbor Island
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...s/IMG_6795.jpg

Do you have a bigger version of this one?

OCtoSD Sep 8, 2008 7:23 AM

Hilton

Anyone know what is exactly in the low rise portion of the Hilton? It still is 5 stories and seems to have exterior stair cases?

HurricaneHugo Sep 8, 2008 7:45 AM

btw, fuck the chargers :(

Fusey Sep 8, 2008 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 3782008)
As I was heading up Broadway this evening I saw quite a large project that just got underway, but I have never heard of it and it isn't listed on CCDC. It is next to the sunrise apartment complex on Broadway and 16th street. Does anyone have any info on it?

I did a little bit of digging and found this:
Quote:

Campus loses almost 200 parking spaces
By: Evonne Ermey
Posted: 8/26/08
Evonne Ermey
City Times

Students may find parking more tedious than usual this semester due to the closure of temporary parking lot 11, located at C and 16th streets, which parking officials acknowledge is a loss of 171 parking spaces.

"We expect it to be hectic in the beginning. Construction workers and downtown workers take up a lot of the street parking," a City College Police lieutenant said. "You have to understand our geographical situation. We have a high school and downtown. It's difficult, but things will get better it just takes time."

Construction on lot 11, which was never meant to be a permanent parking site, has already begun and is estimated for completion within 12-18 months. When finished, the site will house new cosmetology, photography, nursing and police facilities as well as a parking structure designed to hold 750 cars.

The new parking spaces will bring much needed relief to a campus that currently provides 656 stalls for student parking while selling an average of 3,500 City College parking permits per semester. Under those conditions, even those who pay for permits sometimes find themselves parking on the street.

"We have a grace period till Sept. 8 for free parking. Students can give themselves that time to decide if they want to buy a permit," the lieutenant said. "Most of our students are responsible adults and understand that permit parking is not guaranteed."

Students have come up with their own methods for dealing with the parking crunch at City College.

Viviana Hernandez, liberal arts major, comes to school an hour early in order to get to class on time. English major Gigi Burnett has followed people to their cars when in a pinch, while Brooke Bower, a nursing major, schedules early morning classes to avoid the rush.

"After 10 or 10:30, it's impossible to park, but at 7:30 there's no problem," Bower said.

All three students acknowledge that the overcrowding at City College is not exceptional.

"It's horrible, what can you say? But it's the same everywhere," Hernandez said.

"Carpooling would really help," Burnett added as she pointed out a single-occupant car that had just pulled into the parking lot. "Almost all the cars are occupied by only one person, so that's an issue."

While there is parking reserved for carpoolers at Mesa College, City College has not adopted the system and is not likely to anytime soon.

"We have thought about it and we have carpooling at one campus, but we haven't done it at City just because of a severe parking shortage," said district parking program supervisor Debra Picou, who went on to explain that the educational code requires that student carpoolers have at least three people in a car to qualify for reserved parking. "We don't want to see empty parking spaces. At Mesa, we have carpool spaces that sit empty."

Until construction of the new parking structure is complete, officials urge students to search for parking at Inspiration Point, a large lot on Park Avenue that, though farther away, is usually less crowded than on campus lots. There is a free shuttle from the campus to the parking lot for people who are concerned about the distance.

"Ideally, students should go to the outskirts like Inspiration Point first to find parking. They all want to park close and it's impossible cause everyone wants the same thing and it's juts not gonna happen," the City College Police lieutenant said, who also noted that between 12 and 6 p.m., officers don't issue citations for parking in, what are usually, permit-only lots.

kpexpress Sep 9, 2008 11:45 AM

^^^^Great find! Does anyone know what it's supposed to look like?

Fusey Sep 9, 2008 3:57 PM

I got these from a faculty member's website:
http://www.ndavidking.com/vtc.htm

http://www.ndavidking.com/VTC%20Picture%200.jpg

http://www.ndavidking.com/VTC%20Picture1.jpg

http://www.ndavidking.com/VTC%20Picture2.jpg

http://www.ndavidking.com/VRC%20Picture3.jpg

Does anyone know if they knocked down that crappy apartment building on the same lot on Broadway, or is it being built around?

OCtoSD Sep 9, 2008 4:06 PM

I am guessing that empty box in the renderings would the be "crappy" apartments you were talking about.

kpexpress Sep 9, 2008 9:03 PM

yeah still there

HurricaneHugo Sep 9, 2008 9:05 PM

""Ideally, students should go to the outskirts like Inspiration Point first to find parking..." the City College Police lieutenant said, who also noted that between 12 and 6 p.m., officers don't issue citations for parking in, what are usually, permit-only lots."

Ideally, everybody would use public transportation...it's in downtown with bus and trolley lines RIGHT THERE.

And I wish UCSD's campus police would be that forgiving...=(

Fusey Sep 9, 2008 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 3788967)
yeah still there

Ah, I was thinking of the abandoned building on the other side of 16th.

keg92101 Sep 10, 2008 3:52 AM

Who's the architect for this project?

HurricaneHugo Sep 10, 2008 6:42 AM

god damn i just drove down market street and it's going to look so good when strata and st. paul's project finish

the northside needs work but damn

i remember skateboarding down the hill from sherman heights to downtown and it was just very blighted...

SDCAL Sep 10, 2008 8:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 3790191)
god damn i just drove down market street and it's going to look so good when strata and st. paul's project finish

the northside needs work but damn

i remember skateboarding down the hill from sherman heights to downtown and it was just very blighted...

I think it is starting to look lop-sided once you are West of 10th - like you mention the north side has no highrises bu the south side of Market has a nice row - - it will fill in even more if/when seveth/market ever gets off the ground

malsponger Sep 10, 2008 9:22 AM

Yeah I was in EV today as well and construction is full bore on both Strata and Indigo. 7th and market is absolutely hideous. An entire square block of prime real estate still a surface lot. This city is the king of surface lots. I agree that it's very odd to just completely drop off at Market and have single story warehouses, im sure with time that will change. At least the warehouses are being used for nice retail and restaurants bringing life to the area, unlike the ones between Little Italy and Columbia.

keg92101 Sep 10, 2008 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malsponger (Post 3790309)
Yeah I was in EV today as well and construction is full bore on both Strata and Indigo. 7th and market is absolutely hideous. An entire square block of prime real estate still a surface lot. This city is the king of surface lots. I agree that it's very odd to just completely drop off at Market and have single story warehouses, im sure with time that will change. At least the warehouses are being used for nice retail and restaurants bringing life to the area, unlike the ones between Little Italy and Columbia.

You'd be suprised...all cities have surface lots. I was in SF for the week and that town is riddled with them especially in the CBD. The only difference between us and other cites, is that their 1st tier outer rings are all 3-8 story buildings, where as ours are 1-3.

sandiegodweller Sep 10, 2008 5:21 PM

7th and Market Killed

The Centre City Development Corp.'s board voted unanimously this morning to kill a proposed $409-million, 41-story downtown hotel and condominium project, citing the undisclosed potential conflict of interest of its former president, Nancy Graham.

Graham, who resigned July 24, received money from an affiliate of the project's developer, The Related Cos., at the same time she participated in negotiations at CCDC.

The affiliate, The Related Group, struck a condo-development deal with Graham while she lived and worked in Florida. Profits from that deal -- court records show Graham earned almost $3 million -- continued coming to Graham while she was at CCDC. She did not report receiving the money in her annual economic disclosure forms, nor did she recuse herself from negotiations about the skyscraper proposed at 7th Avenue and Market Street downtown.

James Lough, an outside attorney hired by CCDC to investigate Graham's participation in the 7th and Market deal recommended killing the project, saying in a report that Graham's financial interests "tainted the transaction to the level that the transaction should not continue."

State and local laws prohibit public officials from influencing decisions that can benefit themselves, their spouses or their business associates. The laws extend the prohibition for a year after receiving money from a source.

"There was a fundamental betrayal of trust," said CCDC Chairman Fred Maas. "I'm not sure how we fix that no matter what we do."

The project would have benefited from an $8.7 million city subsidy in exchange for including affordable housing and would have been built atop what today is a parking lot. But its future had been in doubt since we revealed that Graham had been paid while she was at CCDC, the city of San Diego's downtown redevelopment authority.

We'll have more on this later.

-- ROB DAVIS

Fusey Sep 10, 2008 5:30 PM

^ I was wondering why I couldn't find that project on the CCDC's website. Hopefully another developer will see the potential for that location.