SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pacific West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   San Diego Meet? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134463)

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 9, 2007 4:49 PM

San Diego Meet?

I'm thinking about heading down to San Diego for a day, but I was wondering if any of the forumers were interested in doing a meet? I was thinking one of the Saturdays in August, either the 11 or the 25 (I have other plans on the 4 and 18) and I need to get my car checked out before making the drive south on the 5. I've never really been downtown before, despite driving by all the time on my way to Tijuana...

Anyone else interested in either of those two weekends (this is open to all California forumers, and anyone else interested)

Upward Jul 9, 2007 6:58 PM

Yeah, that sounds cool. I could probably make it on either of those dates, as far in advance as we're planning it.

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 9, 2007 8:49 PM

I figure I'd throw those dates out there as I need advance time to get ready myself (like making sure my car won't break down somewhere between San Clemente and Oceanside...)

Derek Jul 10, 2007 6:07 AM

I will probably join you. Only if it's the 11th though. :(

ChrisLA Jul 10, 2007 6:31 AM

Why don't you just take Amtrak, its easy, quick, and cheap. The train will drop you off right in downtown San Diego. You can park your car at the Fullerton station and catch it there. Once you're in San Diego, its fairly easy to take the trolley, or even walk the downtown area, and the Balboa Park is close by as well. There is also numerous buses along Broadway, and its easy to take one to the park, or over the bridge to Coronado Island.

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 10, 2007 6:50 PM

Yeah, I just looked at Amtrak, it'd be cheaper to do that from the Santa Ana station down to San Diego and back than paying for gas (plus the wear and tear on my car). The only bummer is that the train leaves from San Diego at 9:15pm.

Upward Jul 10, 2007 7:03 PM

Which date are you checking? That's not what I see at all. It would be $42 round trip, which is more than the gas would cost. Perhaps for me, leaving from Irvine instead of Orange tips the balance in favor of it being cheaper to drive. It's a shame, though, because I like trains.

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 10, 2007 9:16 PM

I'm checking for the Santa Ana station. With my AAA discount, all in all, its about $41 for a roundtrip. This is for both August 11 and August 25.

LAmetroman Jul 11, 2007 2:31 AM

I would be interested in that if some of the SD forumers joine in.

I have a friend who recently moved to Icon, they have a nice rooftop view.

Derek Jul 11, 2007 3:19 AM

Your friend is so lucky!

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 11, 2007 4:32 PM

So Derek is available on the 11, what about any other San Diegans? I mean, we're coming to your city for chrissake ;)

And I'm definitely taking the train. I got another speeding ticket yesterday, and I don't feel like getting caught in a speed trap somewhere on the 5.

ChrisLA Jul 11, 2007 4:54 PM

^
Why don't you PM Lakegz, he says he's back in San Diego from living in Japan. I've met him a few times when he lived in LA, but he has also met up with us down in San Diego. He was a nice guy, and probably could show you around too.

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 12, 2007 5:48 PM

I'll PM Lakegz and see if he's interested.

Since Derek said he's able to meet on the 11th, what say we do that then? Say, 10:30-10:45am at the downtown train station?

ChrisLA Jul 12, 2007 7:51 PM

Ryan,

Charles Hatfield is another San Diego fourmer you might notify as well. You may remmeber him from our first meet we had in Orange. Mello (although he stood me up a couple months ago when I was visiting) is another one who came to the meet Dave and I drove down for once in San Diego. He's a nice guy and knows a lot about San Diego.

Upward Jul 13, 2007 3:08 PM

I can do the 11th.

I have a couple friends who know a lot about the city, though they're not forumers. Should I see if they'd like to join us at some point?

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 13, 2007 4:28 PM

Definitely.

Derek Jul 13, 2007 9:59 PM

This would be my first meet, so I don't even what we would be doing. :(

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 14, 2007 12:22 AM

Walking around and taking pictures of San Diego. And maybe getting intoxicated somewhere along the way.

HurricaneHugo Jul 14, 2007 3:10 AM

You should ask this in the San Diego construction thread, lotta regulars there that don't check this forum.

As for me I dunno, I don't even know what I'm doing tonight...

Upward Jul 14, 2007 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorbitch Squared (Post 2951392)
And maybe getting intoxicated somewhere along the way.

That would be reason enough for me to take the train instead of driving down there!

I could probably ride my bike to the train station... :hmmm: