SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

spoonman May 31, 2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 6599329)
Off topic but...

Does anybody have info on the Japan Airlines route to Tokyo? I heard it's being cancelled after summer, but I can't find any news on it.

Where did you hear that? I heard the route was performing very well.

atlantaguy May 31, 2014 1:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 6599329)
Off topic but...

Does anybody have info on the Japan Airlines route to Tokyo? I heard it's being cancelled after summer, but I can't find any news on it.

I work remotely for a San Diego based Travel company, and I can tell you quite a few of our clients book it regularly - mostly biotech firms.

They don't seem to mind paying higher fares to avoid going up to LAX. If the route is indeed in trouble, the news will most likely break in the Civil Aviation forum at airliners.net. As an industry 'insider,' I haven't heard a thing. ;)

spoonman May 31, 2014 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlantaguy (Post 6599844)
I work remotely for a San Diego based Travel company, and I can tell you quite a few of our clients book it regularly - mostly biotech firms.

They don't seem to mind paying higher fares to avoid going up to LAX. If the route is indeed in trouble, the news will most likely break in the Civil Aviation forum at airlners.net. As an industry 'insider,' I haven't heard a thing. ;)

Good points. I also don't see how a daily transpacific route would just stop. I believe there would be a frequency reduction before the route would be terminated entirely. JAL was very excited about adding this route to their network. The only way I se this happening is if JAL instead decided to switch to TIJ to take advantage of the new cross-border terminal so they could pick up both the SAN and TIJ metro area.

Derek May 31, 2014 3:52 AM

I was browsing Wikipedia this morning out of boredom and saw that on SAN's page, service was ending September 10th. I deleted it though. :haha:

I was just playing around on JAL's site and did a fake booking, and it is still showing direct flights from SAN to NRT past September 10th.

HurricaneHugo May 31, 2014 5:47 AM

Well it better darn be there next summer for my trip!

atlantaguy May 31, 2014 7:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6599895)
Good points. I also don't see how a daily transpacific route would just stop. I believe there would be a frequency reduction before the route would be terminated entirely. JAL was very excited about adding this route to their network. The only way I se this happening is if JAL instead decided to switch to TIJ to take advantage of the new cross-border terminal so they could pick up both the SAN and TIJ metro area.

Exactly. From my side of things, loads look good.

HurricaneHugo Jun 3, 2014 4:42 AM

Recommendations for tomorrow's election?

Yes/No on B&C?

Streamliner Jun 3, 2014 10:51 PM

Cabrillo Bridge reopened to traffic. More renovations are due to take place, including lighting of the bridge! I didn't know about this. It will stand out very nicely, especially from planes landing at night.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...o-bridge-open/

mello Jun 5, 2014 5:42 AM

Does anyone know what is up with the project on Park Blvd just down the way from Sprouts? What a prime lot and demand to live right there in middle of Hillcrest, North Park and University Heights is huge. That is such an eyesore and kind of embarrassing.

Also noticed on 5th Ave. in Bankers hill next to St. Vincent a new rendering is up of a 7 or 8 floor project called VUE. I thought that was approved for a 14 or 15 floor tower, what happened :shrug:

spoonman Jun 5, 2014 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6606221)
Does anyone know what is up with the project on Park Blvd just down the way from Sprouts? What a prime lot and demand to live right there in middle of Hillcrest, North Park and University Heights is huge. That is such an eyesore and kind of embarrassing.

Also noticed on 5th Ave. in Bankers hill next to St. Vincent a new rendering is up of a 7 or 8 floor project called VUE. I thought that was approved for a 14 or 15 floor tower, what happened :shrug:

I believe there are two buildings. One is the 7-8 floor one, and another 12 or 14 on the adjacent block. Please let us know if you see a sign for the other block.

SDfan Jun 5, 2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6606221)

If it's the same sight I remember, it has had a rendering for a 5 or 6 story building at the corner for some time now. I'm not sure what's up with the project currently.

Quote:

I believe the project was scaled back. The church that owned the adjacent properties simply got the projects approved and were looking to sell those entitlements, with the land, to a developer. I think (THINK) they sold the land and the entitlements recently, and the developers reduced the projects height (number of units is the same from what I see).

As for the project on the other parcel owned by the church, I'm assuming it hasn't been sold yet and could be developed in it's original incarnation (which I actually think is the taller of the two towers).

SDfan Jun 5, 2014 11:45 PM

Not surprising. :(

Especially the last reason!

Quote:

San Diego not likely to make Olympic cut
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...ames-doubtful/

tyleraf Jun 6, 2014 3:37 AM

It's unfortunate we likely won't get the Olympics. It would have been great for development. Also, it's exciting that the Cabrillo Bridge is going to be lit. If only they would get around to lighting the Coronado Bridge.

Derek Jun 6, 2014 4:32 AM

No surprise there. It would be cool to have events in San Diego if Los Angeles gets to host though, as the article mentioned. Why not bill it as the 2024 Summer Olympics in Southern California? Why do they have to bill a particular city, you know?

tyleraf Jun 7, 2014 4:27 PM

Here is an article on the North Parker which just finished up and opened. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...tments-design/

Chapelo Jun 7, 2014 6:29 PM

Steel at One La Jolla has reached the 11th floor, while the lobby floor slab was poured on Wednesday. Ironworker I spoke to said they should be topping out sometime in July.

http://i.imgur.com/vNhLlvkl.jpg?1

tyleraf Jun 7, 2014 8:21 PM

It's amazing how fast that building has gone up! Irvine must have some tenants that want that space ASAP. I can't wait to see glass go up on it. Chapelo: Did you ever check out that other site you mentioned las Tim you posted an update?

SDfan Jun 8, 2014 3:07 AM

Oh my gawd. Irvine does not fukc around! I hope La Jolla Commons III rises this quickly. We are getting a nice mini-skyline out in UTC.

mello Jun 8, 2014 4:48 AM

Does anyone know what the development plan is for the 56 Corridor from say Crosby Estates/Del Dios out to 4S Ranch and down towards Los Penasquitos Canyon? When you look on google maps or hike up to Black Mountain and look out on this area there is still tons of flat land sitting undeveloped.

Can someone show a map of what will be eventually built in this area? It seems like such a waste to fill in that whole quadrant of the city with low density sprawl as it is very centrally located to job centers in Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Valley, and Sorrento Valley. I know there is a large peace of land set aside called the Del Mar Mesa Preserve and I have hiked in that area. Then there is Black Mountain Ranch open space preserve that just burned.

I have always been curious about this section of SD and how the city views it and what planners think the best way is to utilize it. Thanks --

spoonman Jun 8, 2014 8:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6609731)
Does anyone know what the development plan is for the 56 Corridor from say Crosby Estates/Del Dios out to 4S Ranch and down towards Los Penasquitos Canyon? When you look on google maps or hike up to Black Mountain and look out on this area there is still tons of flat land sitting undeveloped.

Can someone show a map of what will be eventually built in this area? It seems like such a waste to fill in that whole quadrant of the city with low density sprawl as it is very centrally located to job centers in Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Valley, and Sorrento Valley. I know there is a large peace of land set aside called the Del Mar Mesa Preserve and I have hiked in that area. Then there is Black Mountain Ranch open space preserve that just burned.

I have always been curious about this section of SD and how the city views it and what planners think the best way is to utilize it. Thanks --

I posted about a project off the 56 about a month ago. Basically it will be a "main street" or "village" type concept with about 5 floors of mixed use lining a couple of streets with shopping, movie theater, office, and residential. It has been approved and will break ground soon I believe. May need to dig around to find the name. Very similar to the One Paseo concept in nearby Carmel Valley.