SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   NHL 2012-2013 thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200039)

Denscity Feb 20, 2013 4:11 AM

No way! Vancouver was down two goals near the end of the third against the best team in the league and tied it!!

logan5 Feb 20, 2013 4:12 AM

The Hawks, 2 goals up, are just flying out there, yet the Canucks find a way to scrap back to a tie and force OT. Bieksa sure knows when to shoot the puck.

Denscity Feb 20, 2013 4:39 AM

Canucks didnt play that well but Schneider was excellent in net. Lucky to get a point.

Nicko999 Feb 20, 2013 9:00 AM

Galchenyuk actually leads the Habs in ES pts with 10 (tied for 19th in the NHL:cheers:). Gallagher is second with 8 followed by Pacioretty and Bourque at 7.

If someone told me before the season started that 2 rookies will be leading the team in ES pts AND that we'll be first in the East, I would have send him in the hospital to get checked.:haha:

Seriously though, I knew last year was a fluke but I was not expecting us to be that good lol.:P

-3 lines that can score (only the Habs, Tampa and St. Louis have 6 players or more with 10+ pts),
-Markov-Subban are both rock solid even if they play on different pairs (and at least 1 of them is on the ice for basically 80-85% of the game:D)
-Price solid as usual back there.

Hopefully we keep it up.:tup:

Antigonish Feb 20, 2013 1:52 PM

As a neutral I would freakin' LOVE a Toronto - Montreal playoff series!!!!

Out of the Canadian clubs I'd choose Ottawa, gotta back the home town Head Coach, what a beauty!

The_Architect Feb 20, 2013 2:33 PM

Haha definitely saving a screenshot of that post for the end of the season.

MrOilers Feb 20, 2013 5:41 PM

God, I hate watching Sutter-coached teams.

Even when the Oilers beat the Kings I feel like I wasted a few hours of my life watching such a slow, choppy, snoozer of a game. i am sure most Flames fans can sympathize.

freeweed Feb 20, 2013 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOilers (Post 6022022)
God, I hate watching Sutter-coached teams.

Even when the Oilers beat the Kings I feel like I wasted a few hours of my life watching such a slow, choppy, snoozer of a game. i am sure most Flames fans can sympathize.

You'll notice Flames fans are actually excited about their team again, even though it's almost certain that we'll go nowhere this year.

Well, until we play Phoenix. ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................

freeweed Feb 20, 2013 6:30 PM

Oh and PS: I didn't realize the league considers suspensions for tripping these days. What a joke. One of our guys has a broken hand from a vicious slash and they're worried about tripping.

Surrealplaces Feb 20, 2013 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 6022078)
You'll notice Flames fans are actually excited about their team again, even though it's almost certain that we'll go nowhere this year.

Well, until we play Phoenix. ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................

Agreed. The game against Phoenix the other night was the first game this season that wasn't at least entertaining.

Nicko999 Feb 20, 2013 8:24 PM

It was a long run... Sabres fire Lindy Ruff

topdog Feb 21, 2013 12:28 AM

Normally I would have the Leafs jump all over picking up Ruff, but Carlyle looks to be doing a pretty good job.

Fortunate4Now Feb 21, 2013 1:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topdog (Post 6022607)
Normally I would have the Leafs jump all over picking up Ruff, but Carlyle looks to be doing a pretty good job.

I'm fairly certain Ruff wouldn't even consider coaching in Toronto. Anyways, here's to hoping this leads to a much needed turn around. Too much $$ and talent being wasted on this team right now.

Calgarian Feb 21, 2013 1:41 AM

Ruff wont stay available for long, wonder who will take him.

Nicko999 Feb 21, 2013 3:47 AM

Crazy game between Philly and Pittsburgh...

We keep our first place with now a game in hand on the Pens (and a pt ahead).:tup:

Crazy stat: The Habs are 2-4-1 vs the Northeast but 9-0-0 against the 2 other divisions.

MrOilers Feb 21, 2013 5:07 AM

Once again, the Flames get to play against a backup goalie after the Oilers had to try and score on the Vezina-quality starter the night before.

What the hell.

mintzilla Feb 21, 2013 5:37 AM

flames and oilers, bottom two teams in the west this year? looking so.

ZeDgE Feb 21, 2013 6:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOilers (Post 6022885)
Once again, the Flames get to play against a backup goalie after the Oilers had to try and score on the Vezina-quality starter the night before.

What the hell.

Not like it helped any.. :(

Ugh this team.

Nicko999 Feb 21, 2013 6:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeDgE (Post 6022928)

Ugh this team.

Keep losing Calgary...:P I would like the 31st overall pick (in a draft that is said to be deep).:P

It's going to be good having 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year in a deep draft.

roccerfeller Feb 21, 2013 6:22 AM

i think the jets will wind up getting a top 10 draft pick this year - maybe even top 5....unless they play well like they did against the sabres

its nice to see montréal at the top, personally

Surrealplaces Feb 21, 2013 6:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 6022947)
Keep losing Calgary...:P I would like the 31st overall pick (in a draft that is said to be deep).:P

It's going to be good having 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year in a deep draft.

Montreal will likely get their pick somewhere between 34th and 40th spot. I don't think Calgary will finish dead last, but they will be in the bottom 10.

Keep in mind that unless you're pricing in the top few picks, the draft is mostly a crap shoot.

Surrealplaces Feb 21, 2013 6:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeDgE (Post 6022928)

Ugh this team.

They generated almost zero offense. I thought they looked terrible against Phoenix, but they looked just as bad, maybe worse tonight.

If you go by the experts predictions that a team in the west will need around 57 points to make the playoffs.....it means the Flames will have to have a record of 22-11 for the remainder of the season......

Nicko999 Feb 21, 2013 6:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealplaces (Post 6022962)
Montreal will likely get their pick somewhere between 34th and 40th spot. I don't think Calgary will finish dead last, but they will be in the bottom 10.

Keep in mind that unless you're pricing in the top few picks, the draft is mostly a crap shoot.

PK Subban was a second round pick.:laugh:

Generally speaking, Timmins is good at finding late round gems. Gallagher (5th round), Sergei Kostitsyn (7th round), Mikhail Grabovski (5th round), Mark Streit (9th round), Jaroslav Halak (9th round) are just a few examples.

We'll see how it goes though, those 4 picks in the top 60 can also be used to trade up the draft.

freeweed Feb 21, 2013 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealplaces (Post 6022967)
They generated almost zero offense. I thought they looked terrible against Phoenix, but they looked just as bad, maybe worse tonight.

I can't decide what's going on. Phoenix and LA are too very defensive teams, so if we're simply trying to play to their style, that explains the ZZZZZzzzzzz and shitty performance. However, my fear is that Hartley's style isn't "good enough" for management. And they've told him that the Flames need to "tighten up defensively". So this isn't just a blip, this is what we get to see for the rest of the season.

I'll be rooting for a #1 pick if that's the case. The last 2 games were completely worthless from an entertainment perspective (and from a winning perspective).

Obviously I'd love to have a Pittsburgh here, but failing that: I can handle a team that's entertaining but terrible (Oilers in recent years), or boring but successful (Phoenix, Flames immediately post-2004 lockout). Having boring and unsuccessful is the straw with me. Destroy this team if that's what we're doing.

And by god, SOMEONE has to figure out a way to end D-first hockey once and for all. It's completely ruining the game.

The_Architect Feb 21, 2013 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortunate4Now (Post 6022654)
I'm fairly certain Ruff wouldn't even consider coaching in Toronto.

I personally disagree, but there's no chance of that happening anyway.

I think Carlyle doing "well" is more due to actually getting above average goaltending for the first time in years, and less to do with him. Looking at some of his baffling coaching decisions (13 mins for Colton fucking Orr???, less than 15 for Grabovski??? 27 minutes for Mike Kostka???), I'm really starting to not like him as a coach quick.

In fact, if Wilson was getting this kind of goaltending I doubt he would have been torn up as much as he was.

The_Architect Feb 21, 2013 4:01 PM

And for the love of God give Dion a non-AHL defense partner! Holzer was terrible last night.

Anyway, I'm going to the game tonight vs. Buffalo so I hope I get to see a win again.

suburbanite Feb 21, 2013 4:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Architect (Post 6023275)
I personally disagree, but there's no chance of that happening anyway.

I think Carlyle doing "well" is more due to actually getting above average goaltending for the first time in years, and less to do with him. Looking at some of his baffling coaching decisions (13 mins for Colton fucking Orr???, less than 15 for Grabovski??? 27 minutes for Mike Kostka???), I'm really starting to not like him as a coach quick.

In fact, if Wilson was getting this kind of goaltending I doubt he would have been torn up as much as he was.

Having good goaltending is nice, but the fact is the players never really bought into Wilson'a system the same way that have with Carlyle. We knew Carlyle would want a tough physical team that will drop the gloves multiple times a game and that's what we're seeing. The team is reaping the benefits of having everyone on the same page.

MrOilers Feb 21, 2013 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 6023270)
SOMEONE has to figure out a way to end D-first hockey once and for all. It's completely ruining the game.

I think the abundance of defense-first hockey is a symptom of expansion. There are just too many teams, and the star players who would fill the net if they were able to play together, are all dispersed too thinly across the 30 teams. So instead of teams being able to score 3 lines deep, we have teams only able to score 1-2 lines deep.

freeweed Feb 21, 2013 7:00 PM

As someone who openly despises the Leafs (for various reasons I've articulated in the past and aren't really relevant here) ... Toronto fans should be ECSTATIC about Carlyle. He's probably the best thing to happen to the franchise in over a decade and it actually looks possible that they may make the post-season this year as a result.

Much to my complete and utter disgust, of course. But I have to give the man tremendous credit for what he's done and may well do come May. I'll die a little inside, but I can't question his results so far. This Leafs team is actually... not horrible. Which is about as close to grudging respect as you'll get from me ... for the moment. :haha:

Denscity Feb 21, 2013 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintzilla (Post 6022915)
flames and oilers, bottom two teams in the west this year? looking so.

I still think the Oilers might go on a win streak and make it into the playoffs. Heck on paper Edmonton has had a better offense than my team Vancouver for at least two years now surely this is the year? :shrug:

You Need A Thneed Feb 21, 2013 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 6023521)
I still think the Oilers might go on a win streak and make it into the playoffs. Heck on paper Edmonton has had a better offense than my team Vancouver for at least two years now surely this is the year? :shrug:

Except Edmonton can't score 5 on 5, and their defense is at least Calgary bad.

Surrealplaces Feb 21, 2013 9:53 PM

If the Habs knew at the time how PK Subban would turn out they would have picked him in the first round instead of Ryan Mcdonough. :) Same for Mark Streit and Jaroslav Halak.

2007 wasn't a great draft year, but take the 2006 draft which was supposedly one of the deepest..... of the top two rounds, the top 5 turned out to be solid NHLers, and the next 55 players....not so much. Same for 2008. The top 4 players...great, the next 56 players...not so much. It's much same every year.

Not that there's anything wrong with having numerous high draft picks....it gives teams a better chance, but draft picks are still mostly a gamble. Year after year, the top 3 or 6 players turn out really well, and then it drops off, and is somewhat of a crap shoot after that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 6022980)
PK Subban was a second round pick.:laugh:

Generally speaking, Timmins is good at finding late round gems. Gallagher (5th round), Sergei Kostitsyn (7th round), Mikhail Grabovski (5th round), Mark Streit (9th round), Jaroslav Halak (9th round) are just a few examples.

We'll see how it goes though, those 4 picks in the top 60 can also be used to trade up the draft.

suburbanite Feb 22, 2013 2:36 AM

Watching Philadelphia is so frustrating. I don't get how a team can be such polar opposites from day to day. I thought they were finally turning it around and then they go and get completely shut down by one of the worst teams in the conference. They need some serious rebuilding on the blue line if they're going to have any chance of making the playoffs.

Nicko999 Feb 22, 2013 4:08 AM

These kind of losses are so frustrating...

We dominate 2-0 (shots are 14-2) after the first period so we decide that we have to stop playing D because it's the Islanders. :no:

Take the point and go hide... that was a HORRIBLE third period.

Anyway not the end of the world, we're still first in the East.:P I know we're probably not going to finish 1st but the team is still 11-4-2 which a lot better than I expected.:)

BTW-Max Pacioretty is the real deal.
10-11: 14 goals, 24 in 37 games (31 goals and 53 pts pace)
11-12: 33 goals, 65 pts in 79 games
this season: 13 pts in 13 games so far

No more fluke... this guy is really good.

Boreal Feb 22, 2013 4:23 AM

I do not expect the Habs to finish in first either. However, like the Blue Shirts last year, who rode Lundqvist from start to finish, I feel that Montreal can do something similar this year with Carey Price.

Nicko999 Feb 22, 2013 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealplaces (Post 6023710)
If the Habs knew at the time how PK Subban would turn out they would have picked him in the first round instead of Ryan Mcdonough. :) Same for Mark Streit and Jaroslav Halak.

Well the 2 players we picked before PK in that draft were McDonaugh (:no:) and Pacioretty...:D

The team doesn't randomly chose players after the first round... Subban was known to be very skilled offensively but scouts were criticizing his defense. I remember reading somewhere that one scout said about him that he didn't know what D was...:haha:
Timmins liked his skill set and we selected him. After all, you can teach D, you can't teach talent. Turns out to be a pretty good risk.:)

Coldrsx Feb 22, 2013 4:53 AM

Brutal Edmonton, brutal.

Yay schmitty, happy birthday.

Hybrid247 Feb 22, 2013 6:20 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not Anderson!!!!! :(:( Just when I thought the Sens situation couldn't get any worse....

Nicko999 Feb 22, 2013 1:43 PM

The Sens must have really pissed the hockey gods.:(

suburbanite Feb 22, 2013 1:50 PM

Even with their injuries the sens are keeping the Northeast the tightest division in the league. Four teams within 2 points of each other and all of them looking solid.

Copes Feb 22, 2013 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 6024475)
The Sens must have really pissed the hockey gods.:(

Yeah its rough. I got the shaft in my hockey pool when it came to goalies. Anderson was my saving grace... and now...

I'm loving Boston though, despite how little they've played compared to other teams in the division. 4 games less than Toronto and Ottawa, yet still tied. Only two points behind Montreal, who has three more games than them. The Northeast Division is a blast to watch, and as a Boston fan, I couldn't be happier with how its going. The boys are playing great. :cheers:

The_Architect Feb 22, 2013 3:43 PM

Stupid 3 point games. :hell: When is this league going to smarten up and make all games equal? 3-2-1-0 system makes sense if this league wants to hand out a loser point.

It's amazing the Leafs haven't had a single shootout so far, and have only played a single game that goes into overtime. Apparently when they lose they really like to lose. Not that I'm complaining about the ROW wins, those will help in a tiebreaker at the end of the season (if they get that far).

Coldrsx Feb 22, 2013 4:08 PM

How many games for Hall's hit... 2-3 is my bet.

MrOilers Feb 22, 2013 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 6024633)
How many games for Hall's hit... 2-3 is my bet.

In my opinion, he shouldn't get any. The guy had the puck and Hall led with his hip. Then again, the NHL suspension dartboard dictated that Sean Avery got 6 games for an off-ice joke, Torres got 20+ games for an elbow, and Matt Cooke got nothing for severing someone's achilles tendon. So nothing will surprise me.

And guaranteed, if that was Taylor Hall who got creamed while skating across the ice like that, everyone around the league would be saying "This kid needs to learn to keep his head on a swivel, not skate so recklessly into dangerous areas, etc."

Clutterbuck is the type of turd that the NHL needs less of anyway. Every other team in the West should thank Hall for that hit.

Calgarian Feb 22, 2013 7:33 PM

Hall shouldn't be suspended, he meant to hit Clutterbuck with his shoulder and actually almost missed, the result was his thigh hit Clutterbucks knee.

The_Architect Feb 22, 2013 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOilers (Post 6024986)
In my opinion, he shouldn't get any. The guy had the puck and Hall led with his hip. Then again, the NHL suspension dartboard dictated that Sean Avery got 6 games for an off-ice joke, Torres got 20+ games for an elbow, and Matt Cooke got nothing for severing someone's achilles tendon.

Not this again... Please don't make me explain why that's a terrible comparison.

MrOilers Feb 22, 2013 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Architect (Post 6024992)
Not this again... Please don't make me explain why that's a terrible comparison.

Fine. Use any of the last 5 times Cooke should've been suspended for a blatantly dangerous play on another team's player, but didn't.

Surrealplaces Feb 22, 2013 8:07 PM

Overall Montreal picked well in the draft that year, but looking at picks from the first two rounds in other years....not so the same success.

Pacioretty and Subban panned out that year, but what about the other first and secornd rounders who weren't in the top 5 (Ryan McDonough, David Fischer, Kyle Chipchura, Danny Kristo, Louis LeBlanc, Mathieu Carle, Guillamue Latendresse

I'm not trying to say Montreal is bad at drafting....they've been drafting better than Calgary has, I'm just saying that outside of the players in the top 5, they are mostly a crap shoot.

Nothing wrong with building draft picks, I just don't get excited about draft picks unless they are in the top five and wouldn't even if I was a fan of another team. As much as I hate the Oilers, I would be excited as an Oiler fan with those three straight #1 picks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 6024210)
Well the 2 players we picked before PK in that draft were McDonaugh (:no:) and Pacioretty...:D

The team doesn't randomly chose players after the first round... Subban was known to be very skilled offensively but scouts were criticizing his defense. I remember reading somewhere that one scout said about him that he didn't know what D was...:haha:
Timmins liked his skill set and we selected him. After all, you can teach D, you can't teach talent. Turns out to be a pretty good risk.:)

Nicko999 Feb 23, 2013 1:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealplaces (Post 6025047)
I'm not trying to say Montreal is bad at drafting....they've been drafting better than Calgary has, I'm just saying that outside of the players in the top 5, they are mostly a crap shoot.

We'll have to disagree here. A player picked in the top 5 should have a pretty big impact on your team while your first rounder should at least be an NHLer. The draft is far from being a crap shoot. Even in late rounds, the scouts will select a certain player because they see a quality in him.
Some of the late round gems are European because there are less scouts there and sometimes very few teams are aware of that player's potential (see Datsyuk, Zetterbeg in Detroit). It's all about scouting!

Carey Price and Alex Galchenyuk are the two top 5 picks. One is an elite goalie in the NHL (top 5) while the other is on his way to become a superstar.

These 2 are supported by solid draft picks made by the club (or in Eller's case trades because they dealt a surplus at one position)... Max Pacioretty (1st round), Lars Eller (1st round, from Halak trade), Tomas Plekanec (3rd round), Andrei Markov (6th round), Brendan Gallagher (5th round), PK Subban (2nd round), Emelin (3rd round)

The draft weekend are the 2 most important days in a season. That's where all Stanley Cups are won.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealplaces (Post 6025047)
Nothing wrong with building draft picks, I just don't get excited about draft picks unless they are in the top five and wouldn't even if I was a fan of another team. As much as I hate the Oilers, I would be excited as an Oiler fan with those three straight #1 picks.

Speaking of top 5... man this Galchenyuk kid is insane. He already has more highlights reel plays than the entire team combined.:P

He's also 6'1", 196 lbs already!!!

His latest goal is a beauty and if you watch closely, the whole play starts with him in the defensive zone. He's really good defensively for a kid learning the game (leads the team with +8).

He took Callahan out of the play.:haha:

Video Link

Nicko999 Feb 23, 2013 7:29 AM

Wow, congrats to Chicago for their 17th straight game with at least a pt to start a season, a new NHL record!

They look unstoppable...