SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation & Infrastructure (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=288)
-   -   Hamilton International Airport (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126720)

SteelTown Mar 5, 2007 1:25 PM

Hamilton International Airport

Lately a lot of actively has been happening at the Airport so I figured it's time to create a separate thread for Hamilton Airport. Many believe Hamilton Airport is on the verge of becoming a successful airport.

So here's a thread to anything related to Hamilton International Airport! Pictures, news articles, aeropolis, rumours, questions, or debates post em here.

SteelTown Mar 5, 2007 1:27 PM

Airport flies higher
John Rennison, the Hamilton Spectator

By Lisa Grace Marr
The Hamilton Spectator
(Mar 5, 2007)

John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is growing up.

Compass Group Canada, a national food services company, has opened two Tim Hortons stores (one inside security, one in the lobby), an On the Fly store that offers everything from chewing gum to magazines and The Escarpment Lounge in the departure area.

Compass also has plans to renovate The Corner Cafe it already operates at the airport, transforming it into one of its Coyote Jack's Bar & Grill eateries.

The airport is also investing about $2 million in a number of other upgrades: A duty-free store it hopes will open in April, a renovated security screening area, a new kids play zone and a doubling of the international arrivals area.

It is scheduled to open May 1, the same day U.K. airline flyglobespan starts flights out of Hamilton.

Richard Koroscil, president of TradePort International which operates the airport, said its commercial development and expansion is part of an overall growth strategy and only partly due to flyglobespan's arrival.

Eric Cameron, regional director (Chartwells) Compass Group Canada, said the company responded to a request for a proposal before flyglobespan's announcement that it was coming to Hamilton. However, Cameron added it is evidence of the airport's potential.

"We're confident that flyglobespan will provide significant lift and we're pleased to be part of the airport's growth."

Compass, which has about 30 staff working at the airport, is a multinational, billion-dollar business and holds the highest number of Tim Hortons franchises in Canada.

It runs the on-board food service at WestJet and at several Hamilton locations, including Mohawk College and St. Joseph's Hospital.

Koroscil said the expansion is part of a strategy to expand services and flights slowly, keeping costs down for airlines and the airport.

"We take a different approach from many other airports. They spend billions and billions, we go slow. This is the first time we've had two main national carriers at the airport (Air Canada and WestJet) and we're now offering more destinations than at any other time in our history."

However, he acknowledged that flyglobespan's choice of Hamilton is big news.

With flyglobespan, Hamilton will offer more U.K. destinations than any other airport in Canada and will bring an estimated 600 extra passengers into the airport each day.

"There will be a 20 to 30 per cent lift in passenger traffic in '07 over '06," he said.

"Last year, we saw growth of over 20 per cent. Hamilton will directly benefit from this investment."

GreatTallNorth2 Mar 5, 2007 3:48 PM

Hamilton Airport's recent addition of flyglobespan is great for SW Ontario passangers who want to travel to the UK, but don't want to go to Pearson. I do travel to the UK and would definately consider Hamilton for two reasons: 1) convenience - I live in London and it is much easier to drive to Hamilton 2) price - Toronto's airport fees are crazy.

London, England has about 4 or 5 airports that serve the city, so why can't Hamilton Airport serve Southern Ontario? There's no reason why Hamilton shouldn't see significant growth.

SteelTown Mar 5, 2007 3:56 PM

To make it even sweeter and convenient for SW Ontario Robert Q Airbus will offer daily scheduled airbus service between Hamilton International and London

ROBERT Q AIRBUS BEGINS DAILY SERVICE

Richard Koroscil, President and C.E.O. of the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport (hi) is pleased to announce that, beginning May 1, 2007, Robert Q Airbus will offer daily scheduled airbus service between Hamilton International and London, Ontario until October 31, 2007.

The daily service will also provide connectors to and from Windsor, Ontario (and points west) as well as to Strathroy and Sarnia.

“As we continue to grow our services, providing our customers with ease of access to and from Hamilton International is of paramount importance,” said Richard Koroscil, President and C.E.O. “Robert Q Airbus complements the ground transportation options to travellers throughout our catchment area and helps us fulfill the needs of our clientele.”

Robert Q. Airbus has been providing customers with reliable ground transportation in Southern Ontario for 30 years. They offer courteous, well-trained professional drivers and a fleet of vehicles that can accommodate up to 17 passengers in a safe, comfortable environment.

“We are a ground transportation leader in Ontario and Robert Q Airbus is thrilled to provide area travellers with convenient seasonal connections to the expanding international air travel from Hamilton International Airport,” said Dianne Adams, Sales & Marketing, Robert Q. Airbus. “We are confident that whether customers are flying for business or for that “once in a lifetime” vacation, they will enjoy our Airbus experience to and from hi.”

Hammer Town Mar 6, 2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelTown (Post 2666271)

Lately a lot of actively has been happening at the Airport so I figured it's time to create a separate thread for Hamilton Airport. Many believe Hamilton Airport is on the verge of becoming a successful airport.

So here's a thread to anything related to Hamilton International Airport! Pictures, news articles, aeropolis, rumours, questions, or debates post em here.

This is great except its already faily successful in my popinion but I guess it depends on what you think is sucessful.

Anyway good thread

I actually just wanted to Put up the airports website as well to allow people to have a better look. Its www.flyhi.ca

LikeHamilton Mar 7, 2007 2:52 AM

"Coyote Jack’s Road House" at Hamilton International is now under construction (started Monday) and will open Thursday or Friday of this week. A quick reno job working around the clock. I will post more on Wednesday or Thursday.

y2k_pony Mar 9, 2007 10:01 AM

I would be very suprised to see any DC-10's landing at CYHM, but I agree there is alot of activity going on there... They could make alot more money if the could retrofit the airport to take more cargo charters

LikeHamilton Mar 9, 2007 6:11 PM

Council aims for runway solution
Kevin Werner, Special to the Review
Published on Mar 09, 2007
International Airport President and Chief Executive Officer Richard Koroscil hopes a compromise solution can be worked out with councillors over extending the airport's runway.
"We will try to move forward," said Koroscil. "(Council's decision) did not send a positive message to the airport. There are lots of things happening (at the airport). We want to keep that momentum."
After nearly two hours behind closed doors last week, councillors narrowly voted to reject an offer by two developers to sell vital land needed to extend the airport's runway.
"What signal did that decision send to the business community?" said Stoney Creek councillor Dave Mitchell, who voted to purchase the land. "This is embarrassing for the city. It's a shame. How can Hamilton go forward if these types of decisions take place?"
Proponents of the land purchase lament that if the city doesn't purchase the land, the property is only expected to increase in value, making it even more expensive for the city to buy the land in the future. But Hamilton councillor Chad Collins, who voted against the deal, said the estimated cost of about $4.7 million for the land was "prohibitive" for an already cash-strapped municipality.
"We would pay a higher amount (for the land) than what it is appraised," he said. "I'm all for the runway expansion. But not in an 'all or nothing' scenario."
City staff have been working on this land deal for the past six months. It involves developers Anthony De Santis Jr. and Vince Molinaro, who bought the 31-hectare plot on Airport Road in 2002 for over $600,000.
City officials and some councillors were stunned at the vote on Feb. 28. But the land deal, say city officials, remains on the table until the end of the month for the city to consider.
City staff and Koroscil are planning to meet with politicians before they hold their March 28 council meeting. Koroscil says there are some councillors who oppose the land deal because of a lack of information on what the airport needs for its future growth.
"It's about not understanding and the constraints we are in today," he said. "It's about what the overall commercial and operating needs are."
Over the last few years, councillors have become uneasy over the 40-year lease arrangement with Tradeport signed in 1996. Under the contract, the city is obligated to purchase land and help to develop the airport's runways. By 2036, the property, including the buildings, will be turned over to the municipality.
Koroscil has advocated that, for Hamilton International Airport to financially survive, it needs to grow. The idea is to purchase an undetermined amount of property over the next few years at a cost of almost $15 million. The land would be used to extend the south runway, expand the taxi area and construct new hangers.
The city had budgeted about $2.5 million to purchase land to extend the runway. The runway project wouldn't begin until 2011, after an environmental assessment takes place.
Collins, a critic of the lease agreement, doesn't believe Hamilton is getting value for the money it is investing. He says Hamilton is only receiving about $50,000 in revenues from Tradeport under the lease arrangement. For instance, part of the land acquisition would be used to expand the airport's parking area, which according to airport officials, the city is obligated to do because it is part of airport operations.
Yet, says Collins, the city would receive only a portion of the parking revenue. Parking, said Collins, shouldn't be associated with airport operations.
"It doesn't make sense," he said. Koroscil responds that you can't operate an airport without a parking area.
The land purchase would also allow the airport to expand its fuel depot area, which contains only a half-day of fuel for planes. The depot, he said, would be relocated so a hanger can be expanded, said Koroscil. The (fuel depot) is not in a good location, he said. "It's next to an existing hanger."
The airport, said Koroscil, has grown into a economic juggernaut, providing up to 600 good-paying jobs compared to about 200 jobs a few years ago.
Tradeport, which manages the airport for the city, has also injected about $150 million to improve the facility, he said. "This is a great opportunity," Koroscil said. "The city is our partner in this deal."

fastcarsfreedom Mar 9, 2007 10:43 PM

y2k pony--I wouldn't expect to see DC-10s landing anywhere--almost all the passenger versions are beer cans by now.

fastcarsfreedom Mar 9, 2007 10:50 PM

Sorry, another quick question for y'all. I've been trying to follow this land acquisition story from afar--this purchase and proposed runway extension, I'm assuming this is for 06/24? If so, is the plan to go to 10,000 also? There is also the mention of flight kitchens, a fuel farm and new hangars--assuming this part of the plan to demolish the existing hangars west of the terminal to facilitate the terminal expansion plan?

LikeHamilton Mar 10, 2007 4:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom (Post 2677740)
Sorry, another quick question for y'all. I've been trying to follow this land acquisition story from afar--this purchase and proposed runway extension, I'm assuming this is for 06/24? If so, is the plan to go to 10,000 also? There is also the mention of flight kitchens, a fuel farm and new hangars--assuming this part of the plan to demolish the existing hangars west of the terminal to facilitate the terminal expansion plan?

Yes it is for 06/24 as it is only a 6000 ft runway.

They need a new proper tank farm as the one that there was designed for a private plane airport and is most likely not very environmentally friendly.

This is the second time a flight kitchen has been proposed for the airport. The first time was 15 years ago when Nationair flew out of Hamilton. It was to be built where the present outer part of the parking lot is. There is no proper facility near by to service aircraft. I suspect that Flyglobespan will belly their meals. That is to say that they will be prepared in the UK and placed in the belly. In Hamilton they will bring up the meals from the belly, heat and serve. The empty trays and carts from the flight over will be place in the belly for the return trip. It is not very cost effective as it takes up space and fuel that could be used to carry revenue generating cargo. I suspect if they are looking to invest in a flight kitchen that they are expecting Flyglobespan to stay and they are get other airlines that need a flight kitchen.

Rumor is that Ontario Flightcraft wants to expand their hanger and there are other companies looking for space. The Glanford hanger to the west of the terminal is not being used for anything large as the last expansion of the terminal, out to the west for the new baggage security checking area, has blocked most of the access to the hanger. They is not much land close to services left on that side of the airport. The north side lands are not serviced. In the original pre WestJet cut back terminal expansion, the Glanford hanger was to be torn done to allow expansion to the west.

LikeHamilton Mar 10, 2007 6:33 AM

I was at the Hamilton International Airport and boy was I surprised. I took some picture.

The International Arrivals expansion. There are new windows going in this side of the building.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/4430/img2677sp3.jpg

The new "Tim Horton's” and "On The Fly”.
On the Fly sell magazines, drinks, pre made sandwiches, salads, candies, souvenirs etc. Both of these are just before security and available to everyone. The Tim Horton’s after security is also now open. This is where the old security entrance was. They opened on Wednesday February 28th in time for the Tim Horton’s Brier.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/8057/img2678bc4.jpg

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/9833/img2680hw7.jpg

This is looking in from the terminal to the security area. It is a large sitting area with tables and food service similar to the ”On The Fly”. This is the area where the second Tim Horton’s is. Right behind the other Tim Horton’s. This is the escarpment lounge. There is more to come when they get their liquor license. The notice is up for the required 45 days for people to object. It ends March 31st and then they can have their license if no one objects. At first it will only be beer, wine and coolers. They have not started on the Duty Free Shop yet. Dopy me. I was able to get into the secure area with my camera in my pocket. I was so busy asking questions I forgot to take it out and take some picture. Maybe next time.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/2599/img2681uz3.jpg

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/2397/img2682jk6.jpg

These are 2 of the “Hi Ambassadors” at Hamilton Airport :help: . They wear orange shirts and have a gold name tags with their name on it. Right now there are close to two dozen of them and they are there for the noon flights and the late afternoon flights everyday. In May they will be there starting earlier and stating later for the summer schedule.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5453/img2693ml6.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5972/img2695pw8.jpg

The new security area. Has a lot more room.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/974/img2691si4.jpg

The Tourism Hamilton Information and Ground Transportation booth.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6871/img2692mi4.jpg

One of the baggage claim areas with people waiting from a WestJet flight.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1116/img2696ha3.jpg

Work will start soon in the check in area. Counters will be moved out from the back so there will be a flow through by each check in deck. People will carry their own bags to the back and place them onto the belt. They will also be adding monitors over each desk so they can show what airline is using them and adjust the number of desk assigned to them with a push of the button. The curved wall to the east of the check in area is being removed along with the offices behind it to expand the area.

The International Arrivals area expansion is on schedule.

Coyote Jack’s Road House opened on Friday March 9th. Here are some pictures I took this morning (Sat)

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/3098/img2707le7.jpg

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/7383/img2708yw1.jpg

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5669/img2709tr4.jpg

:cheers:

SteelTown Mar 10, 2007 4:28 PM

Good job! They've really made the new security area bigger. The old one was TINY lol. Looks like the check in area is getting more cramped, might need to expand that area in the future if more airlines come.

fastcarsfreedom Mar 10, 2007 5:00 PM

I'm SO impressed with those photos of the airport. I barely recognize anything aside from the Tourism Hamilton area and the current check in desks. The screening area is excellent--looks like something worthy of a major airport finally.

Love the Ambassador program--makes me wish I still lived there so I could be a part of it.

vid Mar 10, 2007 5:40 PM

Wow... I am underwhelmed. :/

Is that what the terminal looks like? :yuck:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/52/11...4f823a.jpg?v=0

Ours ^ Not exactly award winning but it also has a funny little park, you can watch planes take off from the third floor and it's shaped like a wing. :) You guys really have no excuse. :(

How many passengers do you get a year?

LikeHamilton Mar 10, 2007 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid (Post 2679121)
Wow... I am underwhelmed. :/

Is that what the terminal looks like?

Sorry!!!! But we are in the shadow of Hog Town (Toronto) and we have to get around the fact that the world revolves around them and they would like to control everything.

How many passengers do you get a year?

Expecting 750,000 to 800,000 in 2007

And you’re from Lakehead? I take it that’s Thunder Bay? I've been there. You shouldn't throw stones.

:)

vid Mar 10, 2007 7:55 PM

Being near Toronto isn't an excuse for an ugly terminal. :(

"You shouldn't throw stones."

Why? People throw them at me all the time, I have to disperse the collection somehow. :)

SteelTown Mar 10, 2007 8:02 PM

Hamilton Airport was built as a regional airport, hence the smallness of the airport. It wasn't until I think 1998 when WestJet made Hamilton Airport it's hub that Hamilton Airport actually started to become a big passenger airport. It was mostly cargo.

Then in I think 2001 Hamilton Airport came out with a plan to expand the Airport, think it was $150 million, not sure. But WestJet moved it's hub to Toronto. So since then Hamilton Airport has been waiting for another airline to kick start the passengers number up again so that the airport can go ahead with its expansion plans. We are starting to see expansion. I remember someone mentioning at the end of the year we might hear some news of a major airport expansion if flyglobespan becomes a success.

I think LikeHamilton has a copy of the old expansion plan. You should send a copy here or copy and paste the plan here so we can get a better idea of what Hamilton Airport could look like in the future.

the dude Mar 10, 2007 8:07 PM

don't be hatin'. it's all about baby steps where "hi" is concerned. it's hard growing this airport with pearson and buffalo so close by. if i'm not mistaken your terminal was built with government money. no such luck here. it's all private dollars. passenger numbers are probably very similar though i'm guessing a lot of your passengers are simply transferring flights. i might be wrong about that. anyway, i know the isolation of living in thunder bay can cause serious mental health issues so i'll cut you some slack.

hackunion Mar 10, 2007 8:10 PM

Siding and drop down ceilings? It really does feel like a world away from Toronto.

raisethehammer Mar 10, 2007 8:11 PM

it is true though - Hamilton airport looks like a hospital cafeteria.
That pic of the Thunder Bay airport at least looks like a small version of a real airport.
YHM needs to add a second floor or blow off the roof and raise it by 10 or 15 feet and get something other than the tubes of florescant lighting like a call centre office area.
The pics of new areas and eateries look great...hopefully they'll keep renovating the place.

the dude Mar 10, 2007 8:14 PM

those ambassadors would be more effective if they were younger and sexier. just my opinion. perhaps they ought to open up a hooters at the airport. it wouldn't affect the number of passengers but there would be a lot more people hangin' around up there. :haha:

fastcarsfreedom Mar 11, 2007 2:29 AM

YHM's so-called "ugly" terminal came courtesy of a Liberal federal government who tossed John Munro some money as a favor for his loyalty--and invested those dollars in an airport that was built to fail. It was in a corn field with meagre highway access, short runways amidst an era of airline regulation that prevented tangible growth. I have nothing at all against Thunder Bay--but really, it's apples and oranges. Thunder Bay is isolated--far away from competing airports--and really in a position where air travel is the only viable way in and out of town for most travellers.

Hamilton's sucesses, the reason I celebrate a revamped screening area or a new Tim Hortons, is because they are hard-fought, hard-won sucesses--by sweat equity and in spite of all the obstacles that have held back the airport for so long. The terminal might have a low ceiling or "hospital cafeteria" ambience--but you know, that's no excuse at all for still using YYZ while complaining about lack of service at YHM. Nice looking airports are great--but the utilitarian models work just as well.

It wasn't long ago there was a single airline and nothing but silence in that terminal--hell, at one point, even the single restaurant closed up. Y'all might not like the ceiling or the sexiness of the ambassadors--but I'm thrilled--I've wanted that place to thrive for so long--it's wonderful to finally see it happen.

Hammer Town Mar 11, 2007 4:59 AM

Wow I love seeing these pics of the Terminal. I know I will be there welcoming Flyglobespan to Hamilton on May 1st its already booked off.

The 24-06 will probably be expanded to 10,000 ft. If you go to flyhi.ca and look at the Master Plan that is near the bottom on the left you can see some of the details the they want to see for the future.

As far as DC-10s coming the YHM it has already happened with Cargo, Arrow air brought one in. 747s have been in as well an AN-124s.

If Flyglobespan ever actually does some sort of Advertising they will do well other wise they may struggle unless they have high loads from the UK which they have said this is the case.

As far as loads in general I sometimes wonder if the Arrogance of people outside of the Hammer regarding the view of the city as a whole is the same reason people chose to drive past Hamilton airport to get to Pearson. I sometimes get frustrated when I talk to people even in Hamilton who tell me they drove to Pearson to Catch a Westjet flight to Calgary. It drives me bonkers.

I was doing a co-op with Westjet dring there busiest time here in Hamilton and they had great loads on just about every flight from Hamilton. Too Bad the GTAA gave them a nice deal to lure them away but thats a differant topic for a differant day.

One last thing. I think that Hamilton should change the airport to the Hamilton-Niagara International Airport. With so many people going to Niagara Falls every year this should be something to focus on.

Anyway Long live the Hammer and YHM

p.s. I like this thread as I know alot more about the Airport then Downtown.

LikeHamilton Mar 12, 2007 12:44 AM

I do like this video produced by Hamilton International Airport.

http://www.flyhi.ca/about/v-cargo.shtml

LikeHamilton Mar 12, 2007 2:29 PM

The Original Plans for the Hamilton International Airport Terminal Expansion

I have found some of the plans for the original airport expantion. I am still looking for the floor plans.

Quote:

Hamilton International Terminal Expansion – Key Facts

Phase 1

Time Frame - Currently underway through to end of 2002

Major Work
· Terminal renovation and expansion to provide interim increase in check-in and bag claim capacity
· New covered walkways on apron
· Aircraft apron expansion
· Access road realignment and car park expansion
· Initial design work for new terminal
· Hangar demolition and other site preparation
Capacity at Completion
· Up to 7 aircraft gates (apron access)
· 1.4 million passengers annually

Phase 2

Time Frame - Spring 2003 to Spring 2004
Major Work
· Construction of first portion of new terminal to west of existing terminal, providing new arrivals facilities
· Additional apron construction
· Realigned exit road and additional parking expansion
Capacity at Completion
· 9 gates
· 2.3 million passengers annually

Phase 3

Time Frame - Spring 2004 to Spring 2005
Major Work
· Partial demolition of eastern side of existing terminal
· Construction of second portion of new terminal to east of existing terminal, providing new check-in facilities
· Final apron and taxiway construction
· Final reconfiguration of terminal curbs
Capacity at Completion
· 15 gates
· 4 million passengers annually

Phase 4

Time Frame - Spring 2005 to Spring 2006
Major Work
· Demolition of remaining portion of existing terminal
· Construction of final portion of new terminal linking previously completed arrival and departure halls
Capacity at Completion
· 15 gates
· Up to 5 million passengers annually
Legend

Orange – New phase work

Blue – Completed

Green – Original Terminal still standing

Purple – Demolition

Phase 1 - 2001 to 2002

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8519/phase1wi2.jpg

Phase 2 - Spring 2003 to Spring 2004

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8469/phase2vx7.jpg

Phase 3 - Spring 2004 to Spring 2005

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7491/phase3un8.jpg

Phase 4 - Spring 2005 to Spring 2006

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/981/phase4pd3.jpg

Site Plan

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5936/sitezz6.jpg

You can see in phase 4 the original terminal is the small orange part. It is small compared to the new terminal.
Some parts where completed out of order. They did do all of the parking lot. At the time they released the plans, they where trying to decide whether or not to building a parking garage.

:(

LikeHamilton Mar 12, 2007 2:36 PM

And how the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is sold in the UK.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9...rontoadga4.jpg

SteelTown Mar 12, 2007 2:55 PM

Thanx! Now we can sort of get an idea of what the airport might look in the future.

Phase 1 is already done right? Did they demolition that hanger to the west?

Think we'll ever see Phase 2 within this decade?

Now which runway does the airport want to expand? Looking at the site plan I see two runways labeled 12 to 30 and another labeled 90 to 24. Which of those runways will eventually get expanded?

LikeHamilton Mar 12, 2007 4:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelTown (Post 2682401)
Thanx! Now we can sort of get an idea of what the airport might look in the future.

Phase 1 is already done right? Most of it.
Did they demolition that hanger to the west? Not yet
Think we'll ever see Phase 2 within this decade? If Flyglobespan goes well they may start next year (2008)
Now which runway does the airport want to expand? Looking at the site plan I see two runways labeled 12 to 30 and another labeled 90 to 24. Which of those runways will eventually get expanded? You read it from the ends so it is 06/24 and this is the one they will have to lengthen. They will have to move Airport Rd also.

:)

vid Mar 12, 2007 6:04 PM

Looks ambitious. :) Any renderings of the terminals?

fastcarsfreedom Mar 12, 2007 6:51 PM

I'm not sure what the "official" status is of that redevelopment plan, but you'll recall that the major engineering/consultantcy company ARUP designed that terminal expansion--I imagine that cost TradePort some coin--so I'd anticipate that terminal design/plan surviving.

Depending on the airport's traffic in the next couple of years that ball could get rolling again--perhaps with bickering over additional land for surface parking they could look at a parking deck and a split-level roadway system to serve the terminal.

Hammer Town Mar 12, 2007 7:35 PM

Here is a more recent Master Plan.

Its a fairly large PDF Flight but pretty nteresting to read.

http://www.flyhi.ca/pdf/amp_update.pdf

SteelTown Mar 12, 2007 9:37 PM

Pretty sure there was an article about 2 weeks ago saying Tradeport bought a piece of land across from Airport Road for more surface parking. So I guess a parking structure is out of the question for now.

--------------------------------------------------------

Councillor balks at TradePort's parking proposal

By Stories by Steve Buist
The Hamilton Spectator
(Feb 20, 2007)

A numbered company owned by the same people who operate Hamilton's airport has bought a chunk of land for more than $3.4 million to build a parking lot across the road from John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport.

The property of approximately 25 hectares was purchased on Dec. 14 by 2113522 Ontario Inc., which has the same ownership structure in the same proportions as TradePort International Corporation, which operates the airport under a 40-year lease with the city.

Richard Koroscil, president and CEO of both TradePort and 2113522 Ontario Inc., said the land purchase was funded by the numbered company's shareholders and not from TradePort International.

Koroscil said the numbered company was created because there could have been a potential conflict if TradePort owned the newly acquired land, which isn't within the airport boundary.

TradePort had asked the city to purchase the parcel last year and add it to the airport so that TradePort could develop more parking.

"(The city) had decided that they didn't want to do that at the time," said Koroscil.

"Our concern was that we didn't have a lot of time because of the expansion that was taking place in terms of our business," he added, "so rather than getting caught down the road without having the facilities to expand the parking facility, we moved ahead and purchased it."

TradePort is still hopeful that the city will consider buying the land from the numbered company.

Ward 5 Councillor Chad Collins, a vocal critic of the airport lease, said such a deal "makes no sense financially." Hamilton owns the airport and the land it sits on while TradePort's role is to operate the airport, which includes collecting landing fees, passenger fees and rent from tenants.

TradePort is responsible for developing business at the airport, including the parking lot that already exists, as well as the cost of capital improvements. Anything that gets built on Hamilton's land becomes the city's property when the lease runs out.

The lease with TradePort stipulates that the city is only responsible for purchasing land that would be directly needed for a runway expansion.

"My direction right now is to purchase land for the extension of the runway and that's all I've gotten direction to do," said Guy Paparella, the city's director of airport development. "If (Koroscil) approaches us, obviously we have to consider it and put it in front of council and see what they think."

SteelTown Mar 12, 2007 9:53 PM

I'm getting confused with all these runways news. I know right now the City is paying $10 million for land acquisitions (Hamilton International Airport Land Acquisitions) around the airport, which will expand runways and taxi ways.

But now there's $4.6 million for another runway expansion? Huh?

I really hope Phase 2 of the airport happens soon. It would give the airport a better appearance and make it more modern.

Hammer Town Mar 13, 2007 3:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelTown (Post 2683315)
I'm getting confused with all these runways news. I know right now the City is paying $10 million for land acquisitions (Hamilton International Airport Land Acquisitions) around the airport, which will expand runways and taxi ways.

But now there's $4.6 million for another runway expansion? Huh?

I really hope Phase 2 of the airport happens soon. It would give the airport a better appearance and make it more modern.

Im pretty sure its for the same runway but there were someproblem with the land purchase the city only want to pay for the Land for the Runway but Tradeport also wants to put a bigger fuel farm as well as a flight kitchen on some of the same land so the City doesn't want to pay for the land for that as well, only for the Runway. Another problem is that the developers are wanting more money then the land has been appraised at.

As far as the terminal goes the only way we will see continued growth is if we continue to see passenger numbers go up and Flyglobespan sticks around for good. I think this would have to even include for the winter.

I know without a doubt that if the terminal was built into something more modern the number would probably go up even more then they would realise. We have even seen it somewhat proved on the fourm that the looks of the terminal play a larg part in whether or not people will use it.

Anyway there is a lot banking on Flyglobespan sucess.

zerokarma Mar 13, 2007 5:32 PM

Good to hear that Hamilton's airport is growing and starting to prosper, I think there is a lot of opportunities for them to continue growing it there.

LikeHamilton Mar 15, 2007 3:50 PM

Quote:

Vancouver Airport Services

YVR Airport Services Ltd. - subsidiary company of Vancouver Airport Authority

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

VANCOUVER AIRPORT SERVICES

Richmond, B.C. (March 12, 2007): Vancouver Airport Services (YVRAS), finalised the purchase of the remaining 37.67% of the shares of Tradeport International Corporation, increasing its ownership from 62.33% to 100%. Tradeport International Corporation has a long-term lease to manage, operate and develop the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport in Hamilton, Ontario.

As one of the fastest growing airports in Canada for 2006, Hamilton International hosted 527,000 passengers, 74,500 aircraft movements and 86,000 tonnes of cargo. The Airport offers regular scheduled service on Air Canada and WestJet as well as seasonal charters to international sunshine destinations and Europe. In addition, the award-winning airline flyglobespan will commence three daily flights this summer to numerous destinations in the UK. The Airport is Canada’s busiest inter-modal freight airport with regular service by Purolator, UPS and CargoJet.

The John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is owned by the City of Hamilton. In 1995, the city purchased the airport lands and buildings from Transport Canada. In 1996, the city transferred management of the airport to the private sector following a competitive tender process. TradePort International Corporation was awarded a 40-year lease to develop and manage the airport, with YVRAS as a minority shareholder and contracted manager/operator.

George Casey, the President and CEO of YVRAS, stated, “Acquiring the remaining shares is a natural progression for us. We are excited about the continued growth opportunities at the Airport and are committed to working with the City of Hamilton and other key stakeholders to further develop the Airport as a key economic driver in the region.”

Vancouver Airport Services is owned by the Vancouver International Airport Authority. The company operates 18 airports in 7 countries including Canada, the Dominican Republic, Chile, Jamaica, Turks and Caicos, Cyprus and The Bahamas.

For more information contact:

George Casey

Vancouver Airport Services

Tel: 604 276 6060

Fax: 604 276 6070

George_casey@yvr.ca
Maybe we will see more activity and money spent around the airport. I cannot see them spending all that money and not doing something with the airport.

:tup:

SteelTown Mar 15, 2007 8:52 PM

Would you happen to know how much Tony Battaglia got for selling his shares?

I wouldn't be surprised within a few weeks Tony really starts the renovation of the Royal Connaught with that money.

fastcarsfreedom Mar 16, 2007 8:58 PM

Maybe this will change TradePort's access to equity, which has been apparently miserable--most of the improvements they've made have been supported by operations, as opposed to long-term liabilities. Perhaps YVR can more easily go out and borrow a chunk of change to make some major improvements.

Hammer Town Mar 17, 2007 5:32 AM

I hope so they should have more access to funds. Im actually kind of suprised that The City didn't try and stop this from happening.

Hammer Town Mar 17, 2007 9:26 PM

Just as an FYI, there was an advertizement from FlyGlobespan in the Go section of todays Hamilton Spectator.

Hope to see more of the over the next 8 months or more. Some billboards would be nice too around the city.

LikeHamilton Mar 19, 2007 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer Town (Post 2697814)
Just as an FYI, there was an advertizement from FlyGlobespan in the Go section of todays Hamilton Spectator.

Hope to see more of the over the next 8 months or more. Some billboards would be nice too around the city.

There are now radio ads running for Flyglobespan.

the dude Mar 21, 2007 1:19 AM

check out ottawa's airport thread. wouldn't that be nice?

Hammer Town Mar 21, 2007 2:07 AM

^^ Link?

Also What radio stations have you herd the FlyGlobespan Adds on?

I herd one on AM900 CHML tonight. I actually thought it was kinda nice.

LikeHamilton Mar 21, 2007 2:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer Town (Post 2705683)
^^ Link?

Also What radio stations have you herd the FlyGlobespan Adds on?

I herd one on AM900 CHML tonight. I actually thought it was kinda nice.

102.9 K-lite

LikeHamilton Mar 23, 2007 2:25 PM

Work has started on expanding the check in area of the terminal by removing the curved wall to the east of check in. I hope to get some pictures next week.

Hammer Town Mar 23, 2007 4:04 PM

Hey I saw on airliners.net that some of the flights in Economy are sold out to London Stanstead woo hoo. I actually checked the FlyGlobespan website site and its infact true. Several Things have changed including the fact that they advertise it as Hamilton International Airport as oppose to Toronto Hamilton International Airport. When you book through the Canadian Website.

www.flyglobespan.com

This is awesome.

SteelTown Mar 24, 2007 12:44 AM

38 days until Flyglobespan starts business at YHM!

Good to see it's now Hamilton International Airport instead of Toronto Hamilton International Airport lol. Personally I don't care just as long the airport is thriving with business even if it means attaching Toronto's name to it. Hell why not attach Niagara Falls as well.....Toronto Niagara Falls Hamilton International Airport lol.

Hammer Town Mar 24, 2007 2:00 AM

They have also finnaly gotten there first 757 sercured and Registered, They were having difficulties with this before.

YYCguys Mar 25, 2007 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeHamilton (Post 2682379)
And how the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is sold in the UK.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9...rontoadga4.jpg

I find this so strange. I know that the Brits identify their London airports like this (ie: London Gatwick, Stanstead, etc) but it's odd to see the airport attached to Toronto like this. I guess the Brits wouldn't be able to understand where Hamilton is. But the airport is owned by the City of Hamilton, right?