SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Austin (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=446)
-   -   AUSTIN | 300 Colorado | 446 FEET | 32 FLOORS | COMPLETE (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225662)

The ATX Oct 31, 2016 11:06 PM

AUSTIN | 300 Colorado | 446 FEET | 32 FLOORS | COMPLETE

I'll start a thread for this since we have some details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The ATX (Post 7608532)
The recent filing for a 3rd & Colorado residential project will be a high-rise. This is the project that we were speculating as to whether it was the parking lot next to the Austonian or Sully's. It looks like Sully's will be demolished.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2016/161110/

The ATX Oct 31, 2016 11:08 PM

From the Update thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downtown_Austin (Post 7608592)
This has always been an interesting block, and I'm a bit surprised to see a tower proposed here with preservation discussions in years past about saving the "Warehouse District".

Either way, AMLI downtown is mid-rise, so is Silicon Labs, so the views from this - 39 stories looks like - should be solid for a while to come.

The ATX Oct 31, 2016 11:08 PM

Also from the Update thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerhoof (Post 7608614)
Here is a screenshot from the plans of the 39 story building proposed at 3rd and Colorado (where Sullivan's currently stands). It will be 458 feet tall.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwIWiCXUMAA8Ck6.jpg

The ATX Oct 31, 2016 11:51 PM

Here's the location on Streetview.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/a...110ecd4c593735

The ATX Nov 1, 2016 1:11 AM

Here's the direct link to the site plan. The elevations are on pages 22-25.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...tial_PLANS.pdf

resansom Nov 1, 2016 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The ATX (Post 7608793)
Here's the direct link to the site plan. The elevations are on pages 22-25.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...tial_PLANS.pdf

Looks like the west side is going to have a partial blank wall:

http://i.imgur.com/oxe5M4W.png

That's the west elevation, taken from the site plan PDF.

clubtokyo Nov 1, 2016 4:01 PM

I like the location, and the building looks pretty good, would like to see some 3d renders.

GoldenBoot Nov 1, 2016 4:22 PM

This one may end up looking similar to 5th+West. Riverside Resources is behind this project and they are using the same design/architectural firm which designed their 5th+West tower.

Note: 5th+West is 39 stories and 459' tall. This proposal is 39 stories and 458' tall.

clubtokyo Nov 1, 2016 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenBoot (Post 7609267)
This one may end up looking similar to 5th+West. Riverside Resources is behind this project and they are using the same design/architectural firm which designed their 5th+West tower.

Note: 5th+West is 39 stories and 459' tall. This proposal is 39 stories and 458' tall.

Awesome! I like the 5th and West tower.

the Genral Nov 1, 2016 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clubtokyo (Post 7609415)
Awesome! I like the 5th and West tower.

I hope they color the blank portion some sort of metalic tarnished bronze with a mixture of turquoise. This could be one of the classier looking buildings going up in a location that is densing up nicely. I don't hate the Hobby complex to the west since it helped make up the 80s building boom, but this might help cover it up some more. I think its time they did some exterior updating. :tup:

The ATX Nov 1, 2016 7:29 PM

There was another permit filing for this project that indicated June 1, 2017 as the start of construction. No big project has ever started on time so it seems. But that's the first timeline we have.

We vs us Nov 1, 2016 8:09 PM

So is this potentially the beginning of the next cycle?

paul78701 Nov 1, 2016 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Genral (Post 7609451)
I hope they color the blank portion some sort of metalic tarnished bronze with a mixture of turquoise. This could be one of the classier looking buildings going up in a location that is densing up nicely. I don't hate the Hobby complex to the west since it helped make up the 80s building boom, but this might help cover it up some more. I think its time they did some exterior updating. :tup:

I'm willing to bet that the state will eventually move the Hobby workers to a new building in the Capitol Complex...and will sell Hobby off for redevelopment.

KevinFromTexas Nov 1, 2016 8:53 PM

This is going to be sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing renderings because I'm curious to see that mechanical penthouse (parapet) - which appears to be glass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul78701 (Post 7609606)
I'm willing to bet that the state will eventually move the Hobby workers to a new building in the Capitol Complex...and will sell Hobby off for redevelopment.

I wonder if that would include selling off the state garage across the street from 360 as well? That would be fantastic. I actually don't mind the Hobby Building's design, which is a relic of post-modernism, but yeah, it does create a hole in the urban fabric of the neighborhood.

austlar1 Nov 1, 2016 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 7609622)
This is going to be sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing renderings because I'm curious to see that mechanical penthouse (parapet) - which appears to be glass.

I wonder if that would include selling off the state garage across the street from 360 as well? That would be fantastic. I actually don't mind the Hobby Building's design, which is a relic of post-modernism, but yeah, it does create a hole in the urban fabric of the neighborhood.

I think the Hobby Building is an interesting bit of architectire, and it has enough scale to fit nicely with whatever gets built nearby. I am fairly certain that the building will be more appreciated in years to come. Getting rid of the garage adjacent to 360 would be awesome, but what about the cooling plant on top of it?

paul78701 Nov 1, 2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 7609622)

I would guess yes. There are numerous people walking to and from the parking garage and Hobby during rush hour. I'm not sure where those people park once the garage goes away. Both need to go away IMHO. The street level interaction of those blocks is entirely off putting.

As an aside, more than a year ago, a realtor friend of mine told me that he heard that the garage could be set for redevelopment as early as 2020. I'm not sure of his source. So that's all hearsay of course, but there might be something to it? Hopefully...

drummer Nov 1, 2016 11:37 PM

I hope so, also. It would be great as that area around the garage does feel like a dead zone. Has for years.

lzppjb Nov 2, 2016 12:39 AM

We need more underground parking.

KevinFromTexas Nov 2, 2016 5:41 AM

austintowers.net has some aerial massing renderings showing its place.

http://austin.towers.net/39-story-re...-3rd-colorado/

drummer Nov 2, 2016 6:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lzppjb (Post 7609900)
We need more underground parking.

Yep.