SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: ORD & MDW discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87889)

Baronvonellis Jan 3, 2019 5:11 PM

Too bad Lisbon has the worst airport I've been to though. It looks like a aluminum storage shed and was disorganized chaos. It's the worst in Western Europe.

Vlajos Jan 3, 2019 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8424816)
Too bad Lisbon has the worst airport I've been to though. It looks like a aluminum storage shed and was disorganized chaos. It's the worst in Western Europe.

Who cares, I don't go to Portugal for the airports. Also, I don't remember anything bad about it.

F1 Tommy Jan 8, 2019 9:21 PM

United has been operating 787 10's out of ORD on revenue flights lately. Must be new aircraft route proving?

N830MH Jan 8, 2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 8429975)
United has been operating 787 10's out of ORD on revenue flights lately. Must be new aircraft route proving?

Yes, it is. It's brand new aircraft.

N830MH Jan 8, 2019 10:33 PM

ORD automated people mover will shutdown completely until in the fall. Because the old system will repair and they will bring a brand new trams. When they install a new system and they will reopening. You have take a shuttle bus from entire terminals.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...231-story.html

F1 Tommy Jan 15, 2019 12:38 AM

Cayman Airways has upgraded their ORD flight equipment to the brand new 737 MAX starting last week. Time to book a flight to a warm beach :)

N830MH Jan 15, 2019 4:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 8436449)
Cayman Airways has upgraded their ORD flight equipment to the brand new 737 MAX starting last week. Time to book a flight to a warm beach :)

Nice! Enjoy your trip. Have fun!

jc5680 Jan 17, 2019 12:50 AM

Designs are out, Crains has them. There are a bunch of videos I don't think I can embed here

italy5150 Jan 17, 2019 1:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8439311)
Designs are out, Crains has them. There are a bunch of videos I don't think I can embed here

GOD the Jeanne Gang (aka Studio ORD) proposal is gorgeous :slob::slob:

As long as they don't pick Calatrava I'd be happy with any of these though!

Via Chicago Jan 17, 2019 1:27 AM

yea theyre all pretty good. its hard to judge but i really love the Foster+Partners proposal at first glance

melanus Jan 17, 2019 1:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by italy5150 (Post 8439324)
GOD the Jeanne Gang (aka Studio ORD) proposal is gorgeous :slob::slob:

As long as they don't pick Calatrava I'd be happy with any of these though!

Do you not want Caltrava because of his propensity to be over budget or you don't like the design?

italy5150 Jan 17, 2019 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melanus (Post 8439373)
Do you not want Caltrava because of his propensity to be over budget or you don't like the design?

Mostly for the budget - I don't hate the design, though it feels a bit too sparse to me.

AMWChicago Jan 17, 2019 1:56 AM

I like SOM and Gang's the most and knowing it's Chicago based architects probably sways me towards them also. However, Calatrava's looked very stunning, including the revamp of the garage and Hilton space. But knowing him, it would probably go waaay over budget so I'll root for Jeanne and SOM.

ardecila Jan 17, 2019 2:04 AM

SOM is the most compelling to me at first glance. References classic Modernist landmarks like Crown Hall and Lakeside Center. Has references to the history of the site and the overall landscape of Illinois. Also probably greener in the sense that the interior volume is smaller and thus easier to heat/cool than some of the more Space Mountain-esque designs. Also the repetitive nature of the roof structure could make it more economical to build, and less likely to be VE’d to death like Studio Gang’s wood ceiling.

I do really like how the Calatrava design has a (completely unsolicited) plan to tear down the main parking garage and build Tomorrowland there. The vast swath of cracked and stained concrete that greets O’Hare visitors is kinda embarrassing tbh.

I’d put Foster’s plan as my #2 plan, I like how it preserves the Helmut Jahn/Werner Sobek-designed steel canopy over the curbside areas that we just paid over $100M for. The lamella structure on the roof is also cool, I like the satellite terminals with an arched roof.

SIGSEGV Jan 17, 2019 2:08 AM

Hmm 3d models at the CAC? That might be worth the (short) trip there.

Via Chicago Jan 17, 2019 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8439399)
I’d put Foster’s plan as my #2 plan, I like how it preserves the Helmut Jahn/Werner Sobek-designed steel canopy over the curbside areas that we just paid over $100M for. The lamella structure on the roof is also cool, I like the satellite terminals with an arched roof.

also those huge windows would provide some impressive vistas/light, and the wood toned floor constrasts nicely with the roof and adds needed warmth. plus all that communal seating...theres nothing worse than nowhere to sit in between flights other than some crappy dingy restaurant

Gang's is interesting but even with the rendering its kind of hard for me to conceive of what it would actually look like in execution

SOM would be the safe conservative choice

PittsburghPA Jan 17, 2019 3:29 AM

Crain's unveiled the 5 submissions for the O'Hare International project..Let's take a vote

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...ional-terminal

I think I like all of them but SKOM's the least. Not saying it isn't a nice design.

Fvn Jan 17, 2019 3:44 AM

Of course Calatrava. But realistically it's probably Studio ORD or SOM

A better 'top view' rendering of Foster Epstein Moreno would be nice though. Guess we'll just have to wait for the models

EDIT(that probably doesn't matter):

After thinking about it more (and seeing the videos) I really like the way Foster integrates into the old terminal but I still do think Calatrava/Gang are the better designs with I think Calatrava having the lead for me. However, I do see the parks potentially being underused (as TUP said). Which in that case would honestly have Gang being the better option...also the wood is cool.

k1052 Jan 17, 2019 4:24 AM

The Calatrava design is pure uncut sex. How unfortunate it could not be built and that it would certainly leak if tried. Gang is my number 2 but you know all that wood won’t survive VE. So...I guess SOM is elected.

N830MH Jan 17, 2019 4:45 AM

All,

I want you guys to vote tomorrow for ORD21. You have to choose.

Here's a link:

https://voteord21.flychicago.com/com...s/default.aspx

You have to decide.

Let the those people will choose.