SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Saskatoon | River Landing Village | 88m-63m-50m-55m | 18-20-17-13 floors | U/C (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193214)

Stormer Jan 27, 2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 7315366)
Nice to see a condo portion included, according to the article... on what I would guess is the right tower portion. Reminds me of Toronto's River City condos... would be nice if the finishes are of the same quality:

Source

Source

I honestly think this will look great as a neighbor to and complement of the Remai Modern next door.... Our evolving modern architecture riverfront, and the skyline could certainly use some sleek black.

And looks like a shadow rendering for office next door...

Didn't the developer of River City partner with Alt on the residential in Winnipeg - The Glass House?

Echoes Jan 27, 2016 11:01 PM

You're right! I guess they're called Urban Capital. Interesting connection - and sounds promising. Thanks for making that link.

http://urbancapital.ca/portfolio/

scrolling Jan 27, 2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 7315405)
An interesting nugget from the press release (see bolded text):

Surprising statement considering the vacancy rate for downtown and suburban office space is so high.

saskatoonborn Jan 27, 2016 11:57 PM

Nice. So what approximate height are we looking at? Est.

Echoes Jan 28, 2016 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrolling (Post 7315488)
Surprising statement considering the vacancy rate for downtown and suburban office space is so high.

It would seem that way, but there's not necessarily a direct correlation.

I don't know who the interest in the office space is coming from, but say it's a relatively stable, long-standing corporate tenant in Saskatoon who see it as a one-time opportunity to secure signature riverfront office space and for whom it simply means they're leaving their existing office space behind. In this instance, it's the existing, less current buildings that hurt more because of the vacancy rate as the new building fills with established tenants relocating. Where we have a "signature" office opportunity, the citywide vacancy rate might not matter as much - as the type of tenants it attracts aren't looking to fill the vacant odds and ends of the market anyway, they're looking to relocate to something new and shiny. (It's important to note that the old Police HQ is skewing the vacancy rate presently - it's not exactly move-in ready office space waiting for a tenant.)

Further to that, Triovest is an established office player with considerable access to capital. An office tower could take 3-4 years before it's ready for occupancy. If they secure a partial tenant and are willing to proceed with the rest on spec with a long term confidence in Saskatoon and that the timing may be just right with an upswing in the economy upon completion of the building.

Pure speculation on my part, but the quote from the Greystone rep. who singled out the office component is interesting.

Dalreg Jan 28, 2016 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskatoonborn (Post 7315554)
Nice. So what approximate height are we looking at? Est.

My guess will be 68 metres.

SkydivePilot Jan 28, 2016 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalreg (Post 7315725)
My guess will be 68 metres.

If you are referring to the 15-storey Alt, the height would be about 50 metres --- tops.

saskatoonborn Jan 28, 2016 4:41 AM

I personally don't want the project to look like the rendering at all. Not that the building isn't super nice but it looks like all 3 or 4 towers are going to be the same height and packed right tightly. Im worried (from certain angles) that it is going to just create a big 15 story wall. Blocking the rest of downtown from the river and vise-versa once completed.

Chadillaccc Jan 28, 2016 5:51 AM

Hoping to see this one under construction when I visit the city this coming Canada Day Weekend! :D

EpicPonyTime Jan 28, 2016 6:43 AM

I am slightly confused. I know the city was talking about building River Landing in stages rather than all the planned buildings at once. Is this just the hotel tower in that plan, or is this an entirely new proposal? I'm also wondering if this plan has altered or gotten rid of the proposed plaza between the buildings. That would have been amazing for downtown.

Echoes Jan 28, 2016 3:11 PM

Parcel Y hotel shows faith in Saskatoon, mayor says

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: January 27, 2016 | Last Updated: January 27, 2016 7:07 PM CST

Quote:

The partnership for a new hotel as part of a project that has been delayed for more than a decade at River Landing is “fabulous” news for Saskatoon, Mayor Don Atchison says.

Montreal-based Group Germain Hotels announced Thursday its plans for a 15-storey, 155-room Alt Hotel as part of a development at Parcel Y, a prime piece of riverfront real estate at River Landing.

A hotel-spa project for the plot of land was originally approved by city council in 2005. The project has gone through several changes and two new sets of developers since then. The current group of developers says it expects to begin the project sometime this year.

Atchison welcomed the announcement, which arrives as the province’s economy faces challenges due primarily to the drop in oil prices.

“I think it’s really tremendous,” said Atchison, a four-term mayor seeking re-election to an unprecedented fifth term in October. “I think it shows a vote of confidence in the economy of Saskatoon.”

Atchison said he expected work to begin sometime this year. He called the parties involved “very significant investors” and added he did not see any reason for residents to be skeptical this time, despite the project’s history of delays.

“The good news is that at least we’re getting started,” Atchison said Wednesday, adding that a resident had just asked him when the Parcel Y project would begin.

Group Germain is partnering with Regina-based Greystone Managed Investments Inc., Calgary-based Triovest and Saskatoon’s Victory Majors Development Corp.

Blair Sinclair, the project’s development manager with Triovest, confirmed the company hopes to start building the parkade for both the hotel and the condo tower this year, pending approval from the City of Saskatoon.

The condominium tower is expected to follow quickly after the hotel, although Sinclair hinted it might not be the 27 storeys that has been proposed.

“We’re still playing with the height of the second building,” Sinclair said in an interview.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...germain-hotels

Echoes Jan 28, 2016 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 7315982)
I am slightly confused. I know the city was talking about building River Landing in stages rather than all the planned buildings at once. Is this just the hotel tower in that plan, or is this an entirely new proposal? I'm also wondering if this plan has altered or gotten rid of the proposed plaza between the buildings. That would have been amazing for downtown.

The article I just posted above notes this is just phase one of the development of the entire site, with the public plaza still being a part of it.

ToddStoon Jan 28, 2016 3:26 PM

Bizarre

So why is Saskatoon's 'most valuable' piece of real estate not able to draw in any mainstream hotel chain? I had a look at Alt Hotels and while serving their market, they are definitely bare bones chic. Doesn't appear as though there will be any restaurant overlooking the river either which is a shame. And I also don't like that it is a tightly packed group of buildings which will block the skyline. Ah well, at least something other than a parking lot is going up and I guess that's good.

esquire Jan 28, 2016 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddStoon (Post 7316251)
So why is Saskatoon's 'most valuable' piece of real estate not able to draw in any mainstream hotel chain? I had a look at Alt Hotels and while serving their market, they are definitely bare bones chic. Doesn't appear as though there will be any restaurant overlooking the river either which is a shame. And I also don't like that it is a tightly packed group of buildings which will block the skyline. Ah well, at least something other than a parking lot is going up and I guess that's good.

What is Alt if not a mainstream hotel chain? They are located in several Canadian cities (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg, Halifax, Quebec, with locations on the way in St. John's, Calgary and now Saskatoon)... would it really make a difference if they were affiliated with Starwood instead of Groupe Germain?

A4Regina Jan 28, 2016 3:53 PM

I think ALT is perfect for that area. I would rather see ALT go up rather than a major chain like holiday inn (which went up a few years ago and is atrocious).

prairieguy Jan 28, 2016 4:12 PM

As excited as I am over this proposal and finally something happening at the site, if they entire project proceeds as the renderings indicate, it is a HUGE departure from what was a really nice plan from before. I think the plaza aspect is essential to connect to the river landing park and trail area. I know the article states the plaza is still a component, but can't see how it fits in given their current renderings.

Super happy to see the project started...just a bit anxious that it has been "downgraded" from what was expected overall.

WoodlandCritter Jan 28, 2016 5:01 PM

Can someone post the link to the new master plan for the site or any other information with this new structure? Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread so far. Thanks

Temperance Jan 28, 2016 5:23 PM

I would love to see better renders if anybody has some.

If there is no restaurant in the hotel that's really a shame.

drto Jan 28, 2016 5:50 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else count 19 floors in the portion on the right, 18 balconies on the adjoining portion and 17 floors plus roof element on the left?

bomberjet Jan 28, 2016 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temperance (Post 7316430)
I would love to see better renders if anybody has some.

If there is no restaurant in the hotel that's really a shame.

ALT is a boutique type hotel IIRC. They rely on surrounding amenities, like restaurants, to help keep the room rates down. As part of the larger developments, there would likely be restaurants included, I assume?

ALT Winnipeg has an ALTCETERA counter. Which has a bunch of misc food items to buy. Typical convenience store type stuff.

ToddStoon Jan 28, 2016 6:33 PM

The name brand recognition of Alt isn't there. Never heard of them before yesterday. I'm not saying they are bad -- I'm just saying it's odd that such a great location wasn't able to attract a mainstream hotel. It just isn't a well-known brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7316266)
What is Alt if not a mainstream hotel chain? They are located in several Canadian cities (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg, Halifax, Quebec, with locations on the way in St. John's, Calgary and now Saskatoon)... would it really make a difference if they were affiliated with Starwood instead of Groupe Germain?

prairieguy Jan 28, 2016 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddStoon (Post 7316554)
The name brand recognition of Alt isn't there. Never heard of them before yesterday. I'm not saying they are bad -- I'm just saying it's odd that such a great location wasn't able to attract a mainstream hotel. It just isn't a well-known brand.

Actually, its brand recognition is very high...we just haven't seen it in Western Canada. I have been fortunate to be able to travel extensively and have stayed at a few Alt hotels. Very European in design and interior styles. As has been already stated on here, a boutique type hotel. They may not be a Ritz, but will still be an excellent (and different, except for The James Hotel) addition to the hotel options in Saskatoon.

I have no problem with Alt being the hotel brand of choice, but still concerned with the overall renderings of the complete development. I was hoping to see more variation among the buildings, while still having a design link. Have to see how this all plays out....still really excited there has been an announcement, at least. :tup:

Echoes Jan 28, 2016 7:10 PM

One of the articles from the past day (or was it the press release?) noted that there would be space inside the building for a restaurant - leased out and run independently of the Alt, I would assume.

As for the concerns about the rest of the project, we don't have a new rendering of the complete development. We have a shadow rendering in the Alt image that confirms little to nothing about what to expect. We know that the project is going to proceed in phases based on the market, and I highly doubt that the design or heights or any of those details of the next buildings are finalized. The principles are going to still have to be there though to get City approval I would expect - quality design, a great public space, restaurants/retail.

One step at a time.

prairieguy Jan 28, 2016 7:23 PM

Hope you are right Echoes, as based on the rendering the condo part of the project would only be slightly higher then the 15 storey hotel. That is a far cry from the originally proposed 27 storey condo!!

Echoes Jan 28, 2016 7:45 PM

Well, not quite. Unless the arrangement of the buildings have changed, that ghost rendering would be of the middle building in the proposal - the office tower - not the 27 storey condo.

I would not take the Alt rendering as definitive of anything more than the Alt itself; ghost buildings are plunked in the background to provide context all the time.

prairieguy Jan 28, 2016 8:02 PM

My understanding of the renderings is that the building to the far right is the condo and the Alt is between it and the ghost buildings. But you are absolutely right....these are only renderings and focused on the Alt portion of the development.

Looking forward to the construction of the parkade beginning! Hopefully this spring!

bomberjet Jan 28, 2016 8:12 PM

ALT is a hotel. So the building on the right must be condos or office if ALT is the building in between.

Echoes Jan 28, 2016 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairieguy (Post 7316689)
My understanding of the renderings is that the building to the far right is the hotel and the Alt is between it and the ghost buildings. But you are absolutely right....these are only renderings and focused on the Alt portion of the development.

Looking forward to the construction of the parkade beginning! Hopefully this spring!

The Alt is the hotel though. You're only seeing one "real" building in this latest rendering - although it somewhat appears like two different towers - they're attached, with hotel on the left portion (where the Alt logo is affixed), and condo units on the right portion (where the balconies are, closest to the river).

Then the ghost building on the left is what I would take to be a placeholder for the future office tower.

http://wpmedia.thestarphoenix.com/20...0&h=630&crop=1
Source

So, if we go back to the rendering released years ago, the only building we're dealing with here (which is the combined Alt Hotel/Condo - just ONE building) is what is labeled as Building A below. As for Buildings B & C - we don't yet know - but time will tell.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...ry_320/rl1.jpg
Source

ToddStoon Jan 28, 2016 8:46 PM

We will agree to disagree. I know Sheraton. I know Hilton. I know Marriott. I don't know Alt. I also travel a fair bit and I haven't heard of them nor has most anyone else I've asked in the last day. Anyway, it doesn't matter. They are nice enough looking and inexpensive and they will fill a niche. Good on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairieguy (Post 7316608)
Actually, its brand recognition is very high...we just haven't seen it in Western Canada. I have been fortunate to be able to travel extensively and have stayed at a few Alt hotels. Very European in design and interior styles. As has been already stated on here, a boutique type hotel. They may not be a Ritz, but will still be an excellent (and different, except for The James Hotel) addition to the hotel options in Saskatoon.

I have no problem with Alt being the hotel brand of choice, but still concerned with the overall renderings of the complete development. I was hoping to see more variation among the buildings, while still having a design link. Have to see how this all plays out....still really excited there has been an announcement, at least. :tup:

casper Jan 29, 2016 1:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddStoon (Post 7316832)
We will agree to disagree. I know Sheraton. I know Hilton. I know Marriott. I don't know Alt. I also travel a fair bit and I haven't heard of them nor has most anyone else I've asked in the last day. Anyway, it doesn't matter. They are nice enough looking and inexpensive and they will fill a niche. Good on them.

Good addition for Saskatoon. A fairly hip modern Canadian brand. Alt is a sister brand to Le Germain Hotels. I think it is a better option that a second downtown Sheraton or a Marriott or Hilton.

CoffeeBreak Jan 29, 2016 1:10 AM

I've heard of ALT, but readily acknowledge that it's more well-known in larger centres of Eastern/Central Canada, and may not be as well-known to Saskatonians accustomed simply to US chains that are heavily marketed and ubiquitous throughout North America.

Hilton, Marriott, and Holiday Inn etc. are generic US brands that are in every city, and frankly they are nothing to write home about. Generally these chains build cheap crappy looking exteriors in order to maximize profit, as another poster has already pointed out regarding Holiday Inn's recent addition to Saskatoon's downtown.

As explained by other posters, ALT is more of a boutique hotel, similar to The James, and, in retrospect, most Saskatonians should be happy that ALT has chosen the city for its next location, as it's really a show of faith in the growth potential that they see in this market. It's actually a mark of distinction.

I've got a good feeling about this one, and don't think this will be the headfake which we've grown accustomed to regarding Parcel Y.
Of course, time will tell! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddStoon (Post 7316832)

Irvin Jan 29, 2016 2:31 AM

I am not familiar enough with Alt to pass judgement as to the quality of hotel, what I am concerned about as much as the brand as this is the ideal place to have a mid to high end restaurant - which would be so neat to have it at the top of the hotel in this location - that with the information provided doesn't seem to mention a restaurant at all.

Echoes Jan 29, 2016 2:37 AM

From the news release:

Quote:

The 15-floor Alt Hotel will be located northeast of the intersection of Spadina Crescent East and 2nd Avenue, in front of the Remai Modern Art Gallery and within walking distance of many of the city's other main attractions. All 155 guest rooms will offer beautiful views of the South Saskatchewan River. The property will also boast 4,000 square feet of meeting space outfitted with the latest technology, a fitness centre and space for a restaurant.
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...566739931.html

...it just doesn't say where. Ground floor, I would think. With a patio.

Irvin Jan 29, 2016 2:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 7317304)
From the news release:

Thanks Echoes - missed that.

Temperance Jan 29, 2016 8:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 7317304)
From the news release:

Great - this is pretty good news in general. I do wish there was a rooftop restaurant but it seems that has to wait.

prairieguy Jan 29, 2016 2:39 PM

In fairness to ToddStoon, I am now offering another opinion. I do know the ALT brand and have stayed at a few of their locations in Eastern Canada. As I stated, very much a boutique hotel with a European feel with ultra modern decor. Usually a small lounge for drink options with very basic canteen type service offering for food.

My "new" opinion on this is that the old Barry Hotel location would be the perfect fit for an ALT hotel location. I think a boutique style hotel offering in this up and coming trendy area would be perfect and further encourage independent development in that area. The parcel Y location may be better suited to those "major" American brands that offer a more traditional hotel offering that could be a bit higher end. That way, more services would be offered.

I did see a restaurant is mentioned, but I would assume it is not part of the ALT (as they just don't do that) and would be a space that will be leased to a restaurant chain or private offering. Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as a restaurant with a river view of some kind is included!

casper Jan 30, 2016 8:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairieguy (Post 7317656)
In fairness to ToddStoon, I am now offering another opinion. I do know the ALT brand and have stayed at a few of their locations in Eastern Canada. As I stated, very much a boutique hotel with a European feel with ultra modern decor. Usually a small lounge for drink options with very basic canteen type service offering for food.

My "new" opinion on this is that the old Barry Hotel location would be the perfect fit for an ALT hotel location. I think a boutique style hotel offering in this up and coming trendy area would be perfect and further encourage independent development in that area. The parcel Y location may be better suited to those "major" American brands that offer a more traditional hotel offering that could be a bit higher end. That way, more services would be offered.

I did see a restaurant is mentioned, but I would assume it is not part of the ALT (as they just don't do that) and would be a space that will be leased to a restaurant chain or private offering. Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as a restaurant with a river view of some kind is included!

I think an ultra-modern but refined hotel complements what is just across the street. That area is turning into the entertainment and art quarter.

saskatoonborn Jan 30, 2016 2:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 7316716)
The Alt is the hotel though. You're only seeing one "real" building in this latest rendering - although it somewhat appears like two different towers - they're attached, with hotel on the left portion (where the Alt logo is affixed), and condo units on the right portion (where the balconies are, closest to the river).

Then the ghost building on the left is what I would take to be a placeholder for the future office tower.

http://wpmedia.thestarphoenix.com/20...0&h=630&crop=1
Source

So, if we go back to the rendering released years ago, the only building we're dealing with here (which is the combined Alt Hotel/Condo - just ONE building) is what is labeled as Building A below. As for Buildings B & C - we don't yet know - but time will tell.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...ry_320/rl1.jpg
Source

So from re-reading a few articles it sounds like there is only going to be one condo tower period, the one attached to the hotel in building A. Which means if they decide to say only go up 16 or 17 stories it is a significant decrease in residential space (which given the competition, and current markets is not surprising). The next 2 buildings are both supposed to be office space which means probably a 17 story tower and a shorter one. That is unless they are truly getting a lot of interest in the office portion maybe it will increase the size of that project? I dont know. I suspect we wont be getting a new tallest building, or even a contender with this project anymore. That said its a huge win, I really like the look of the renderings and still will end up being one of the largest privatly funded projects of its kind in Saskatoon.

Sorry for any spelling or punctuation mistakes. I am on my phone and havent had my coffee yet :P

drto Jan 30, 2016 9:40 PM

I would rather the site sit unused for another decade rather than settle with a less-than-flattering design for such a high profile, highly-hyped location and supposed springboard for downtown redevelopment. For me it's gotta be design #1, available public interaction #2, and height (new tallest) #3. If we can't get all boxes checked, then I have to pass and wait for something better.

prairieguy Feb 1, 2016 7:19 PM

I have such mixed feelings. I really did like the last renderings we had before this announcement. I liked the different, but complimentary, designs of the buildings and the very intentional build of a public plaza component linking the park space (and of course, the promise of the tallest building in Sask). BUT...we have waited so long, that I am also relieved to hear that we are finally going to see something built.

Having said that....once its built, that land is gone and is this truly the best we could have hoped for or expected? I don't have the answer to that.

saskatoonborn Feb 1, 2016 8:04 PM

I think we will just have to see Prairieguy. With a 15 story hotel they are still on track for the original vision but reports of 2 office towers and and only one condo portion suggest that the vision has most definately changed. Lets not get too worried yet. Time will tell. Banks did well and now that shangri la is done its selling at a modest rate. I'd think there would be a lot of interest in the condo tower once they officially start to market it simply due to scale and location.

Markets including housing may be low now but in 2 or 3 years when this tower is nearing completion they should be starting to pick back up again. Im sure there will be more details before shovels are in the ground.

W.W. La Chance Feb 1, 2016 8:27 PM

macca Mar 3, 2016 11:58 PM

http://html5.pagesuite-professional....e-8f84b65fdb07

Pg 44

The Bess Mar 4, 2016 2:04 AM

wow that's a little different than was first proposed but looks good hope renders come out soon

Crisis Mar 4, 2016 2:47 AM

Yup, that's the latest rendering that I had seen. I think the bundled stacks for the office buildings are only to set a sense of scale. No real design determined for the towers yet to the best of my knowledge.

prairieguy Mar 4, 2016 5:08 PM

I am underwhelmed....looks like the tallest building in Sask is no longer a part of the design, either. I know everyone is excited, as am I, that there is now a sense of activity imminent for that site, but not anywhere near what was originally planned. (and perhaps the office towers are just there for scale, but the condo/hotel design is pretty cookie cutter).

oh well....

scrolling Mar 4, 2016 8:34 PM

Has there been much chatter floating around regarding the tenant mix of the office tower(s)?

'Strong interest' does not hold water in Saskatoon, especially with CBD vacancy nearing 20%. Hope to be proven wrong.

Crisis Mar 4, 2016 9:53 PM

^^^^ Agreed. Unless they can woo a tenant to take most of one tower, I would expect to see only the hotel/condo building there for the near future.

Treesplease Mar 4, 2016 10:02 PM

Not that a render means much at this stage but has the water pond in the middle always been part of the plan? I don't necessarily see the merits of a water feature when the river is 50ft away? I can think of many different things that would work better there like 3 season cafe's, patio etc.

WoodlandCritter Mar 4, 2016 10:45 PM

Those towers better just be "stand-ins" for the footprint of the buildings and not the actual building designs. Ugh. I would rather it sit empty than just build anything, especially those blocks of glass.