SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

q12 Jan 5, 2023 2:19 PM

Attendance record (for hockey) last night for Canada's 6-2 win over the USA in the semi-finals at Scotiabank Centre in Halifax: 10,636

With skyboxes attendance was 11,241.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ3KvmDH/sbc.jpg

Video Link

Berklon Jan 25, 2023 11:52 PM

Some big numbers:

🏈Dallas/San Francisco: 1.78M (CTV)
🏈Cincinnati/Buffalo: 1.77M (CTV)
🏒Toronto/Montreal: 1.34M (CBC/SN)
🏒Edmonton/Vancouver: 1.29M (CBC/SN)
🏈Jacksonville/KC: 1.17M (CTV)

https://twitter.com/AHBSeaborn/statu...96639569723393

Denscity Jan 26, 2023 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q12 (Post 9830885)
Attendance record (for hockey) last night for Canada's 6-2 win over the USA in the semi-finals at Scotiabank Centre in Halifax: 10,636

With skyboxes attendance was 11,241.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ3KvmDH/sbc.jpg

Video Link

What kind of attendance record? Vancouver and Toronto sold out their NHL arenas when they hosted.

Berklon Jan 26, 2023 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9850020)
What kind of attendance record? Vancouver and Toronto sold out their NHL arenas when they hosted.

I think he meant attendance record for hockey at that specific arena.

thurmas Jan 31, 2023 7:07 PM

Mayor of St Petersburg and Rays announced plans for a new ballpark next to the current one. Also Oakland a's extremely close to relocating to Vegas now. So any hope if montreal getting the expos back now would have to be through expansion which would be very expensive.

Djeffery Jan 31, 2023 10:24 PM

This will be what, the third new ballpark proposal for the Rays? Call me when there is a shovel in the ground lol. The Trop isn't the only reason their attendance sucks, it's also a terrible location.

Berklon Jan 31, 2023 11:27 PM

Cincinnati/Kansas City: 2.3M (CTV)
SF/Philadelphia: 1.7M (CTV)

https://twitter.com/AHBSeaborn/statu...98744033824768

Big numbers.
The Eagles/Niners game still pulled in impressive numbers even though the game wasn't good.

TimB09 Feb 1, 2023 2:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9853754)
Mayor of St Petersburg and Rays announced plans for a new ballpark next to the current one. Also Oakland a's extremely close to relocating to Vegas now. So any hope if montreal getting the expos back now would have to be through expansion which would be very expensive.

Where did you see the A's and Vegas rumor? I know its been out there for years but I haven't seen anything lately.

thurmas Feb 1, 2023 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimB09 (Post 9854397)
Where did you see the A's and Vegas rumor? I know its been out there for years but I haven't seen anything lately.

Its all over the internet just Google oakland a's relocation

manny_santos Feb 1, 2023 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9854400)
Its all over the internet just Google oakland a's relocation

It looks like it's almost a done deal too, with the potential move happening in the next two years.

It's amazing seeing Vegas go from zero pro teams just a few years ago to having the Golden Knights and Raiders.

thurmas Feb 2, 2023 6:01 PM

Nhl tv ratings in u.s. down 22% this season. Cannot find any Canadian numbers for several seasons now not sure why its so hard to find?

blueandgoldguy Feb 3, 2023 2:10 AM

Apparently the athletic or some other publication researched the reasons for the 22% drop in NHL ratings and it almost entirely due to airing games head-to-head against the NFL's Sunday Night football.

As for Tampa Bay, it's just a proposal at this point. Let's see if it actually gets approved.

Denscity Feb 3, 2023 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 9850038)
I think he meant attendance record for hockey at that specific arena.

Well I would hope so lol.
And thank you for the explanation.

esquire Feb 3, 2023 3:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 9856180)
Apparently the athletic or some other publication researched the reasons for the 22% drop in NHL ratings and it almost entirely due to airing games head-to-head against the NFL's Sunday Night football.

One of the great things about football is that there are so few games that each one is meaningful. I would imagine that most people who are fans of football and hockey are going to opt for football when there's a scheduling conflict, because you know you will just have to wait a couple of days for the next hockey game since there are so many of them.

jonny24 Feb 3, 2023 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9856506)
One of the great things about football is that there are so few games that each one is meaningful. I would imagine that most people who are fans of football and hockey are going to opt for football when there's a scheduling conflict, because you know you will just have to wait a couple of days for the next hockey game since there are so many of them.

This why I've never been able to get into hockey. Any time I watch a random game, (Olympics, free tickets, junior C game with my dad) I really do enjoy the sport. There's just no way I can care about eighty games, even just to check on scores or whatever. If I can't reasonably watch every game, what's the point? :shrug: And if you lose... oh well, it was 1.25% of the season and we'll play again in two days.

Hawrylyshyn Feb 3, 2023 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9856506)

+1, every game counts in football. The other major leagues (basketball, baseball, hockey), are so over saturated with the number of games in a season each individual game loses importance

Berklon Feb 3, 2023 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny24 (Post 9856525)
This why I've never been able to get into hockey. Any time I watch a random game, (Olympics, free tickets, junior C game with my dad) I really do enjoy the sport. There's just no way I can care about eighty games, even just to check on scores or whatever. If I can't reasonably watch every game, what's the point? :shrug: And if you lose... oh well, it was 1.25% of the season and we'll play again in two days.

I agree, football is a lot less time consuming with fewer games with the games taking less days of the week and you can easily schedule around them since the days they're played on are consistent. Each game is more meaningful and it's enjoyable to watch even if your team isn't playing.

The other thing I love is that you don't have to stare at your TV for long periods of time. Each play only lasts between 5 or 10 seconds and you can easily do other things in between plays (ie. surf the web, etc) throughout the game without missing any of the action. All these reasons are why I only watch football now.

esquire Feb 3, 2023 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 9856723)
I agree, football is a lot less time consuming with fewer games with the games taking less days of the week and you can easily schedule around them since the days they're played on are consistent. Each game is more meaningful and it's enjoyable to watch even if your team isn't playing.

The other thing I love is that you don't have to stare at your TV for long periods of time. Each play only lasts between 5 or 10 seconds and you can easily do other things in between plays (ie. surf the web, etc) throughout the game without missing any of the action. All these reasons are why I only watch football now.

Agreed completely. For probably a good 25 years football was the only sport I followed closely, and the time commitment was one of the reasons... I didn't want to watch multiple games a week. I liked the idea of watching one important, meaningful game a week for 3 hours and that was it.

But then my son got into hockey, I became a fan again and here I am watching hours of hockey a week on TV and in person :haha:

The WHL plays a 68 game schedule and I think going to that schedule would be a great start for the pros, although we all know the NHL would never give up the revenue from cutting back on games.

VANRIDERFAN Feb 3, 2023 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9856727)
Agreed completely. For probably a good 25 years football was the only sport I followed closely, and the time commitment was one of the reasons... I didn't want to watch multiple games a week. I liked the idea of watching one important, meaningful game a week for 3 hours and that was it.

But then my son got into hockey, I became a fan again and here I am watching hours of hockey a week on TV and in person :haha:

The WHL plays a 68 game schedule and I think going to that schedule would be a great start for the pros, although we all know the NHL would never give up the revenue from cutting back on games.

Back in the stone age (Winnipeg Jets Era V1.0) and you had farm cable, you got one game a week and most of the time it was the f*****g Toronto Maple Leafs. So the odd time the Jets got on TV was a big deal or you went into town to the bar to watch the TSN feed that would show a couple more games. Therefore I listened to a lot of Jets games on CJRB (and it was sketchy at times being so far from Winnipeg).
Playoffs were fantastic because we got all the Canadian playoff rounds.

This is all to say that back in the day, the games were rarely on the tube so when they came on it was an event.

Now? I really don't give a shit about NHL until end Feb.

esquire Feb 3, 2023 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9856757)
Back in the stone age (Winnipeg Jets Era V1.0) and you had farm cable, you got one game a week and most of the time it was the f*****g Toronto Maple Leafs. So the odd time the Jets got on TV was a big deal or you went into town to the bar to watch the TSN feed that would show a couple more games. Therefore I listened to a lot of Jets games on CJRB (and it was sketchy at times being so far from Winnipeg).
Playoffs were fantastic because we got all the Canadian playoff rounds.

This is all to say that back in the day, the games were rarely on the tube so when they came on it was an event.

Now? I really don't give a shit about NHL until end Feb.

Yeah, that's true. My parents weren't sports fans so when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s we didn't have TSN. So that meant the single HNIC a game a week, plus the occasional regional "Jets on CKY" or CKND broadcast. So at best there might be two NHL games a week on television. It was always so wild when the playoffs started and during the first couple rounds there was hockey on TV every night!

Now of course you could watch NHL hockey on TV damn near every night. And if you want to pony up for the streaming services, there's AHL, junior and college to fill the gaps on those odd nights when the NHL isn't playing :haha: I'm sure some people do it, though!