SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

aerogt3 Feb 8, 2013 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6005647)
Yeah, I wish someone would build that. It would be iconic. Bosa may actually have the gravitas to pull it off if he wanted to.

I don't think anyone - even Bosa - could sell farmland at $1,000 a sq. ft. (~45 million/acre) when you can buy arable land for $1,000 an acre.

spoonman Feb 8, 2013 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerogt3 (Post 6006680)
I don't think anyone - even Bosa - could sell farmland at $1,000 a sq. ft. (~45 million/acre) when you can buy arable land for $1,000 an acre.

It's a tough sell, but people might buy for the cool factor, and grow some veggies while they're at it. I don't think the target residents for a project like that are the same people that would go buy a farm in Bakersfield

mello Feb 8, 2013 5:56 PM

Aero: You aren't "selling farmland" obviously you've never worked in marketing. This is an opportunity for some wealthy liberal "greenie" to live in on of the most unique structures in the world and the only one of its kind in the world. And it is right in the middle of a fairly vibrant downtown with a good amount of amenities and the waterfront close by with excellent weather.

I'm telling you people from Europe would come buy in this thing. Rich engineers from Germany or Denmark even Iceland would buy in this thing. There is simply nothing like it on earth and it is in a VERY desirable city. If you tried to sell these units in St. Louis or Dallas ehhhh no wouldn't fly but in DT SD and walking your dog on the waterfront or a quick drive to Coronado or Sunset Cliffs.... Oh yeah if marketed properly people will buy and word of mouth will spread quickly.

spoonman Feb 8, 2013 6:17 PM

^^ Well said...this would be a haven for architects and "greenies" alike.

aerogt3 Feb 11, 2013 8:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6007023)
Aero: You aren't "selling farmland" obviously you've never worked in marketing. This is an opportunity for some wealthy liberal "greenie" to live in on of the most unique structures in the world and the only one of its kind in the world. And it is right in the middle of a fairly vibrant downtown with a good amount of amenities and the waterfront close by with excellent weather.

I'm telling you people from Europe would come buy in this thing. Rich engineers from Germany or Denmark even Iceland would buy in this thing. There is simply nothing like it on earth and it is in a VERY desirable city. If you tried to sell these units in St. Louis or Dallas ehhhh no wouldn't fly but in DT SD and walking your dog on the waterfront or a quick drive to Coronado or Sunset Cliffs.... Oh yeah if marketed properly people will buy and word of mouth will spread quickly.

No one is "greenie" enough to waste $1k per square foot for space to grow vegetables. Because doing that is not green, it's stupid. It won't be built because anyone in a position to make it happen would agree with me - including very successful people who work in Marketing....

SDfan Feb 12, 2013 2:33 AM

Good transportation news:

Quote:

Rebuilding historic U.S.-Mexico rail link

Advocates of cross-border freight train service are cautiously applauding moves by groups of U.S. and Mexican investors to rebuild two key rail links that connect Tijuana and Imperial County.

The projects are being formed separately, and it could be several years before any trains ferry product parts and finished goods from Tijuana’s maquiladora industry into the United States. But proponents said that taken together, the efforts could restore a significant link to the main U.S. rail system.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...2#article-copy

spoonman Feb 12, 2013 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6011059)

This would be good for the port, and the region.

TeaPartyClive Feb 12, 2013 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6011059)

This would be a nightmare for BORDER SECURITY. I VOTE NO!.

kpexpress Feb 12, 2013 5:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6005587)
What!!! Noooo this is just going to block Electra and not really add to the skyline much.... Damn I this whole time I thought it was for the office depot lot :(

When you are on Harbor Island and in Point Loma I hate that gap just to the South of Electra and I was really hoping to see that filled.

So why can't BOSA build that 500 foot tall vertical farm with condos at First and Island? I think if marketed properly you could attract international buyers that would pay a premium to own a unit in that building. It would obviously be the only one of its kind in the world in a nice downtown near the water with perfect weather. Seriously people from Scandinavia would buy there.

The footprint is actually purposefully offset from Electra so it fills in the skyline more nicely and doesn't block everyone's view.

Derek Feb 12, 2013 7:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaPartyClive (Post 6011198)

Now that's surprising.

aerogt3 Feb 12, 2013 8:40 AM

Quote:

It [might] be easier to inspect rail cars vs. semis.

Valyrian Steel Feb 12, 2013 9:19 AM

Quote:

I thought with a name like "TeaPartyClive", you'd be all for it. ;)

SDfan Feb 12, 2013 5:09 PM

Quote:

You're not real.

Don't make me get in on this. I'll make an account called "MinuteManCletus."

spoonman Feb 12, 2013 7:48 PM

^^ Or it could be "Voice Of Reason". I haven't seen any comments from that poster in a while. :cheers:

Derek Feb 12, 2013 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6011937)
^^ Or it could be "Voice Of Reason". I haven't seen any comments from that poster in a while. :cheers:

Ah, there's a good thought.

S.DviaPhilly Feb 13, 2013 2:35 AM

New office tower - Cisterra

Went to the ccac website and they had pics of what the new office tower will look like on Island between 7th and 8th (Sempra's new home.) Just click on this link... A thick tower, but very cool looking!

http://www.ccdc.com/images/stories/d...a_Drawings.pdf

Derek Feb 13, 2013 2:38 AM

Ohhhh I like that.

Short and thick isn't always a bad thing. ;)

That's a quality mid-rise.

SDfan Feb 13, 2013 3:19 AM

It's alright.

spoonman Feb 13, 2013 3:29 AM

It's hard to look like a major player with a stumpy building like that. I prefer their current building. This looks too much like the Comerica building already at the ballpark. Would be nice if they could increase the height, and add a few office tenants or condos.

Derek Feb 13, 2013 3:31 AM

Their current 70s dump of a building?