SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

kpexpress Sep 26, 2009 7:31 AM

Three wishes

If you had three wishes for SD and they could come true instantly, what would you wish for? What would you have changed and why?

everyone weigh in, that means you mr. voiceofreason.

Derek Sep 26, 2009 8:07 AM

1. Chargers stadium.
2. the Marines leaving Miramar and having it be converted into an international airport.
3. Extend the Trolley lines to the airport (up to Miramar if wish 2 came true), lines running all the way to the Escondido Sprinter station with stops at Rancho Bernardo, Sabre Springs, North County Fair mall, Scripps Ranch, and Mira Mesa, all underground. Extend the trolley line through Mira Mesa (underground) to UTC to connect to the Mid-Coast extension (which also needs to be built). Trolley extended up 5th Avenue to Hillcrest (underground). Pretty much a huge underground Trolley network. :D

Balboa Park, Hillcrest, Pt. Loma, OB, PB, La Jolla, UTC, North Park, Golden Hill, etc. :P

staplesla Sep 26, 2009 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4475722)
1. Chargers stadium.
2. the Marines leaving Miramar and having it be converted into an international airport.
3. Extend the Trolley lines to the airport (up to Miramar if wish 2 came true), lines running all the way to the Escondido Sprinter station with stops at Rancho Bernardo, Sabre Springs, North County Fair mall, Scripps Ranch, and Mira Mesa, all underground. Extend the trolley line through Mira Mesa (underground) to UTC to connect to the Mid-Coast extension (which also needs to be built). Trolley extended up 5th Avenue to Hillcrest (underground). Pretty much a huge underground Trolley network. :D

Balboa Park, Hillcrest, Pt. Loma, OB, PB, La Jolla, UTC, North Park, Golden Hill, etc. :P

Mine are the exact same.

Fusey Sep 26, 2009 5:06 PM

I agree with the first two on Derek's list, but my 3rd wish would be the removal of all hobos and transport them to some shithole, like Los Angeles (but a better transit system would be a close fourth).

OneMetropolis Sep 26, 2009 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusey (Post 4476089)
I agree with the first two on Derek's list, but my 3rd wish would be the removal of all hobos and transport them to some shithole, like Los Angeles (but a better transit system would be a close fourth).

LA is no shithole and those stupid fanciful wishes of yours are not going to come true anyway so deal with it. The airport will allways be small and crappy and non-expansive and will allways lack international grandeur. It will allways keep downtown from reaching up to the heavens and from expanding beyond it's bondries. The stupid trolley will never expand. While LA is building more subways the trolley expansion will still be going through minor stages of getting approved. The Chargers will most likely leave it's allready obvious, chula vista shunned them Oceanside dosen't want them and Escondido is just a desprerate move that will amount to even more failure. Just face it, I rather see Chargers in LA than this city.

All those shots/pictures of downtown were dull too, they were just boring condo buildings and hotels nothing really to be proud of or admire, no real architecture just generic glass pladding and no real feel. I getting tired of this city so many praise it when there's nothing really wrothy to be praised here. LA right now is headed in a great direction and it's only going to get better for LA. Unlike this city where soon it's appeal will colapse on it's self caving in on it's own pretentiousness and downtown will be too touristy and will lack a real feel like the rest of the city.

Fusey Sep 26, 2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMetropolis (Post 4476425)
LA is no shithole and those stupid fanciful wishes of yours are not going to come true anyway so deal with it.

It was a joke in regards to another thread. In the meantime, if you love LA so much, you should probably move there and stop being such a whiney bitch.

OneMetropolis Sep 27, 2009 1:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusey (Post 4476536)
It was a joke in regards to another thread. In the meantime, if you love LA so much, you should probably move there and stop being such a whiney bitch.

I am just giving credit were it's due, and maybe i will move there. Beside this thread needs some pessimistic views anyway everyone on here is to starry eyed and enthusiastic.

tdavis Sep 27, 2009 2:18 AM

Quote:

LA is no shithole and those stupid fanciful wishes of yours are not going to come true anyway so deal with it. The airport will allways be small and crappy and non-expansive and will allways lack international grandeur. It will allways keep downtown from reaching up to the heavens and from expanding beyond it's bondries. The stupid trolley will never expand. While LA is building more subways the trolley expansion will still be going through minor stages of getting approved. The Chargers will most likely leave it's allready obvious, chula vista shunned them Oceanside dosen't want them and Escondido is just a desprerate move that will amount to even more failure. Just face it, I rather see Chargers in LA than this city.

All those shots/pictures of downtown were dull too, they were just boring condo buildings and hotels nothing really to be proud of or admire, no real architecture just generic glass pladding and no real feel. I getting tired of this city so many praise it when there's nothing really wrothy to be praised here. LA right now is headed in a great direction and it's only going to get better for LA. Unlike this city where soon it's appeal will colapse on it's self caving in on it's own pretentiousness and downtown will be too touristy and will lack a real feel like the rest of the city.

I sure as hell hope you don't serve on any development or transit committees. Your lack of vision and foresight is appalling.

Derek Sep 27, 2009 3:46 AM

Tell us what you really think douchebag. :D

Derek Sep 27, 2009 3:48 AM

The question was if you could do anything, what would you do?

So yeah, it is wishful thinking on our part. God forbid we have hopes and dreams right?

Read the fucking post next time or get the fuck out.

bmfarley Sep 27, 2009 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4475695)
If you had three wishes for SD and they could come true instantly, what would you wish for? What would you have changed and why?

everyone weigh in, that means you mr. voiceofreason.

1. Relocate the airport out of downtown

2. Improve the rail infrastructure (grade separate downtown heavy rail, bring high-speed rail to Santa Fe Depot in a tunnel, relocate the C Street Trolley beneath Broadway, expand the Trolley network to Hillcrest and University Avenue).

3. Have a democratic visionary leadership in charge of local politics

voice of reason Sep 27, 2009 7:05 PM

You negated your points 1&2 by wishing for a democratic (you didnt capitalize, so I assume you didnt mean Democrat Party) leadership. A democratic leadership by definition would represent the wishes of the majority of citizens and your ideas are extreme fringe concepts, not cost effective and not wanted by the majority.

When dreaming utopian dreams, it would be wise to consider that the state, county and city are broke. Why add more costs and institute systems that would require further subsidies?

Keep dreamin......

Fusey Sep 27, 2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMetropolis (Post 4476647)
I am just giving credit were it's due, and maybe i will move there. Beside this thread needs some pessimistic views anyway everyone on here is to starry eyed and enthusiastic.

Mammone, da quando sei caduta in moto sei un po'sciroccata. :koko:

dl3000 Sep 27, 2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Sounds like trolling to me.

And Voice of Reason, if you think it is the wishes of all the citizens of San Diego to stagnate in the status quo, this thread would not exist.

As for my wishes, it would be somewhere between Derek's and bmfarley's. In short, new airport, expanded and new transit, underground rail downtown, charger's stadium, new leadership.

voice of reason Sep 28, 2009 12:26 AM

civics lesson needed

Students,
In our last lesson we were discussing democratic representation as it applies to San Diego City government.
We learned that in a democracy, which we have a modified version of in the U.S. The citizens voice their desires and then elect representatives to government who kinda-sorta institute programs that represent their constituents. In our imperfect world this is how it works.
There may be some pipe-smokers on the internet who want to spend on things that make perfect sense to them, but not to the majority of citizens. These people cant understand that the things they want are only wanted by them. These people are called kooks and it is better to ignore them.

Class dismissed.

IconRPCV Sep 28, 2009 1:56 AM

1. New stadium for the Chargers somewhere in the county.
2. An international airport at MiraMar
3. A trolley system that actually went places I do besides the occasional football game so I could leave my car in the garage more often.

bmfarley Sep 28, 2009 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voice of reason (Post 4477823)
Students,
In our last lesson we were discussing democratic representation as it applies to San Diego City government.
We learned that in a democracy, which we have a modified version of in the U.S. The citizens voice their desires and then elect representatives to government who kinda-sorta institute programs that represent their constituents. In our imperfect world this is how it works.
There may be some pipe-smokers on the internet who want to spend on things that make perfect sense to them, but not to the majority of citizens. These people cant understand that the things they want are only wanted by them. These people are called kooks and it is better to ignore them.

Class dismissed.

Please consider a course in "Reading Comprehension". The premise of the post was to consider three wishes. You failed, go back to school.

kpexpress Sep 28, 2009 8:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voice of reason (Post 4477823)
Students,

Class dismissed.

sounds like you just returned from a tea party

kpexpress Sep 28, 2009 8:42 AM

late night pics of the Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge. Enjoy.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05649.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05646.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05669.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05670.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05675.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05651.jpg

Fusey Sep 28, 2009 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMetropolis (Post 4476647)
Beside this thread needs some pessimistic views anyway everyone on here is to starry eyed and enthusiastic.

Quote:

San Diego losing year-round cruise ship
Carnival shifts home port to Alabama for 2,052-passenger Elation

By Lori Weisberg
Union-Tribune Staff Writer
2:00 a.m. September 28, 2009

Come spring, San Diego will lose its only year-round cruise ship and along with it a bevy of bargain excursions to Mexico. Chalk it up as another casualty of the economy.

Carnival Cruise Lines has decided to relocate its 2,052-passenger ship Elation from its home port in San Diego to Mobile, Ala. There it will cruise to Mexican destinations, including Cozumel, off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula for four- and five-day itineraries.

Although heavy discounting of the trips originating in San Diego was drawing passengers, the revenue fell short of Carnival's expectations for a year-round cruise program, said spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz.

“How much revenue we generate on a ship is a huge factor in where we base a ship and in what programs we operate,” de la Cruz said. “This program has been underperforming over a substantial period of time. While onboard revenue is important, more important is the pricing we get for the ticket.”

California's battered economy, which has cut deeply into consumers' willingness to spend money, especially on travel, has driven business down, de la Cruz said.

The cruise line will continue to operate its Spirit ship on a seasonal basis in San Diego. That ship makes eight-day trips to Mexico between October and March.

“The shorter cruises draw mostly drive-in business versus fly-in, and the business we get from the state where the ship is based is very critical to a program's success, so given the state of the economy, particularly in California, we think that's likely a big factor here,” de la Cruz said.

San Diego Unified Port District official Rita Vandergaw said another factor was the sharp drop-off in travel to Mexico, which has suffered from the swine flu scare and an escalation of drug-related violence in Baja California.

The planned departure of the Elation by the end of April is a financial blow to San Diego, given the millions of dollars generated by visiting passengers and the cruise line itself.

A 2005 study conducted by the Port District found that each cruise ship contributes $2 million to the economy. Multiply that by the 78 stops the Elation makes in San Diego during a year, and that's nearly $160 million in lost revenue, said Vandergaw, who manages the cruise program for the Port of San Diego.

“I don't know if people understand how much of an impact it is,” she said. “The passengers spend a lot of money when they're here, and the cruise line spends a lot of money in the area through jobs and services that they purchase, like the longshoreman jobs, the taxicabs, the shuttle services, the suppliers that provide goods to the terminal, the truckers, the florists.

“It's extremely disappointing.”

A bit of good news was the debut last week of Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas, an eight-year-old, 2,500-passenger ship that will be making about 30 round-trip cruises to Mexico from San Diego, starting with four- and five-night trips to the Mexican Riviera through Nov. 16, said spokeswoman Lyan Sierra-Caro.

After that, the ship also will offer longer itineraries of nine to 12 nights through May to such destinations as Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

“We started this year to be year-round from Los Angeles, so we thought it was important to have another West Coast option with a different itinerary,” Sierra-Caro said. “San Diego is a great source market for us, and it's an easy destination for people to fly into.”

With the departure of the Elation, the port estimates that the number of ships coming into San Diego for long and short cruises will fall to about 200 over the course of a year. Other cruise lines that pull into San Diego include Holland America and Celebrity.

The schedule for the next fiscal year has yet to be finalized, Vandergaw said.

Given the port's dogged efforts to attract new cruise lines, it's a shame to have lost the Elation, said Joe Terzi, president of the San Diego Convention & Visitors Bureau.

“When passengers get off the ships, they're down in the Gaslamp, in the restaurants, Horton Plaza mall. It's a good economic engine,” Terzi said. “It just breathes more life into the waterfront and brings more businesses, so it's something we don't want to see disappear from San Diego.”

That isn't about to happen, said Vandergaw, who is hoping a new $28 million cruise ship terminal now under construction at the Broadway Pier will add some bayside appeal for San Diego.

It will allow one cruise ship to be berthed there, but it will be a far-better space for accommodating cruise lines and their passengers, she said. Vandergaw's hope is that once the building is completed by the end of next year, the Port District would be able to start work on upgrading the much-larger B Street Pier, though a plan has not been approved nor has financing been lined up, she said.

The Port District earlier this year was courting the Walt Disney Co. in hopes of persuading it to bring its planned West Coast cruise operations to San Diego. The Disney Cruise Line ultimately opted for the Los Angeles area.

“You have to have facilities that meet the cruise lines' standards, and the lines have said we don't meet their standards,” Vandergaw said. “Carnival loaned us $12 million to improve our facilities to meet their standards, and we still have a ways to go.

“Losing this business (from Carnival), I think, is cyclical, and it happens when economies contract. I'm confident we'll have the business back.”
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...d-cruise-ship/