SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

J_Murphy Dec 30, 2019 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8786905)
The Village Mall Store has closed some time ago too. Perhaps is just a sign of the times. Like everything else, people tend to send electronic greeting cards a lot more now.

Or they buy them at the 100 other places that sell greeting cards. You can get cards at wal-mart or dollarama for much less than at other stores.

Arrakis Dec 30, 2019 6:09 PM

Very true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 8786959)
Or they buy them at the 100 other places that sell greeting cards. You can get cards at wal-mart or dollarama for much less than at other stores.


goodgrowth Dec 30, 2019 9:45 PM

Cards feeling like a rip off probably also doesn't help...

Larla77 Jan 7, 2020 3:32 PM

Pier One is closing half its stores in North America and is reportedly close to declaring bankruptcy.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/pier...ores-1.4755419

Arrakis Jan 7, 2020 4:23 PM

Not surprised to hear this at all. They’ve been going downhill for some time now. Seems like all the home decor chains are hurting or closing up shop. Bouclair Home recently filed for bankruptcy too and was purchased by a new owner. Home Outfitters which is owned by Hudson’s Bay closed all of its stores, Bombay Co., Bowring closed all of its stores too not too long ago. Online shopping?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8792698)
Pier One is closing half its stores in North America and is reportedly close to declaring bankruptcy.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/pier...ores-1.4755419


Larla77 Jan 7, 2020 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8792762)
Not surprised to hear this at all. They’ve been going downhill for some time now. Seems like all the home decor chains are hurting or closing up shop. Bouclair Home recently filed for bankruptcy too and was purchased by a new owner. Home Outfitters which is owned by Hudson’s Bay closed all of its stores, Bombay Co., Bowring closed all of its stores too not too long ago. Online shopping?

Not surprised either. I would say online shopping combined with places like IKEA and Winners/Marshalls/Homesense. I find Pier One pricey when I can get similar items for cheaper elsewhere.

Larla77 Jan 7, 2020 6:12 PM

As per their facebook page - Broken Books is closing on Feb 19 after a 6 year run

Crisisnf Jan 8, 2020 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8792904)
As per their facebook page - Broken Books is closing on Feb 19 after a 6 year run

What even is Broken Books? Never heard of it.

Larla77 Jan 8, 2020 1:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisisnf (Post 8793319)
What even is Broken Books? Never heard of it.

Downtown bookstore. They used to be over by Model Citizens and moved into the Afterwards space on Duckworth after they closed.

Arrakis Jan 13, 2020 11:46 AM

Another mall chain has bitten the dust it seems.
I noticed that Things Engraved had a “store closed” notice posted in their door yesterday at the mall. Now it seems they have shuttered all stores across Canada without hardly any notice to employees.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/thin...nada-1.4762355

NewfBC Jan 14, 2020 4:40 PM

Well I guess St. John's won't be getting one of these...

IKEA Canada closing pick-up and order locations effective Jan. 29
https://globalnews.ca/news/6405784/i...0BFOy3jnk5IGJs

Ron.

Crisisnf Jan 15, 2020 12:43 AM

Breaking News....the vacant space between Harvey's and Tommy Gunn's on Merchant Drive is, wait for it.....H&R Block. So disappointing.

jjavman Jan 15, 2020 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisisnf (Post 8799693)
Breaking News....the vacant space between Harvey's and Tommy Gunn's on Merchant Drive is, wait for it.....H&R Block. So disappointing.

Harbinger of things to come maybe, with that area caught between Galway & Kelsey.

:shrug:

Malreynolds Jan 17, 2020 8:03 PM

wife saw a job posting for Torrid for st johns avalon mall

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24br05jhxp...hrome.jpg?dl=0

BruceChafe Feb 11, 2020 10:31 PM

While out for a walk today, noticed that the spot Yellowbelly had on Prescott Street now has a sign for Volcanic Bakery hung.

J_Murphy Feb 12, 2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceChafe (Post 8828353)
While out for a walk today, noticed that the spot Yellowbelly had on Prescott Street now has a sign for Volcanic Bakery hung.

Good. That yellowbelly sign was up for about 10 years and I don't think it ever materialized.

Larla77 Feb 12, 2020 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceChafe (Post 8828353)
While out for a walk today, noticed that the spot Yellowbelly had on Prescott Street now has a sign for Volcanic Bakery hung.

Its apparently going to be a second location for them.

Darkfire Feb 16, 2020 2:36 PM

Not sure if it’s been announced yet or not, but the brick is going in woodgate plaza, late fall opening.

Arrakis Feb 17, 2020 2:24 AM

Where did you here this?

I think NL is only province without a Brick store. Leon’s owns The Brick so they are kinda already here I suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkfire (Post 8832880)
Not sure if it’s been announced yet or not, but the brick is going in woodgate plaza, late fall opening.


Darkfire Feb 17, 2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8833280)
Where did you here this?

I think NL is only province without a Brick store. Leon’s owns The Brick so they are kinda already here I suppose.

Directly from crombie. Tender is out right now for the land lord work,(tear off the dooleys side of the building, new roofing, etc.)

statbass Feb 17, 2020 1:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkfire (Post 8833438)
Directly from crombie. Tender is out right now for the land lord work,(tear off the dooleys side of the building, new roofing, etc.)

Interesting! I thought that, eventually, the building would be torn down with Toys R Us being relocated. It's been pretty much a vacant building for quite some time. I guess Crombie has some longer term plans for it. If so, hopefully a face lift as that building is definitely due for some renovations.

goodgrowth Feb 17, 2020 2:13 PM

Pretty sure Crombie had plans to renovate Woodgate Plaza and the office building next to it because I read about it on here at some point a while ago.

Not sure if they are still planning on doing it but the render is still on the website:
https://www.crombie.ca/property/woodgate-plaza

statbass Feb 17, 2020 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8833482)
Pretty sure Crombie had plans to renovate Woodgate Plaza and the office building next to it because I read about it on here at some point a while ago.

Not sure if they are still planning on doing it but the render is still on the website:
https://www.crombie.ca/property/woodgate-plaza

Ah yes, I remember seeing this render before. Thanks for jogging my memory! Definitely a well needed refresh to what's currently there. That building has looked old and run down for years now.

Arrakis Feb 17, 2020 4:26 PM

I understood that Crombie wood be renovating woodgate plaza during the last phase of the Avalon Mall renovation, once that was completed. I think they going to put storefronts all around it. But plans can easily change.


Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 8833457)
Interesting! I thought that, eventually, the building would be torn down with Toys R Us being relocated. It's been pretty much a vacant building for quite some time. I guess Crombie has some longer term plans for it. If so, hopefully a face lift as that building is definitely due for some renovations.


Larla77 Feb 17, 2020 5:40 PM

Pier One closing all stores in Canada.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/pier...r&_gsc=40uFAkT

statbass Feb 18, 2020 2:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8833633)
Pier One closing all stores in Canada.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/pier...r&_gsc=40uFAkT

Pier One (amongst other retailers in this speciality sector) have been struggling for quite some time. It seems boutique and specialty stores cannot survive in this retail environment. It tough when facing competition against online giants like Amazon, Wish, Wayfair, etc. that sell basically everything. Call me old fashion but I do have a soft spot for the brick and mortar buildings. Just the evolution of retail I guess.

Arrakis Feb 24, 2020 2:06 PM

Another famous brand is struggling and starting to close stores. Victoria's Secret closing a store in a large Calgary mall. I wonder how long the one in Avalon Mall will last?

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...bdd6-113844953

Arrakis Feb 24, 2020 4:24 PM

I couldn’t find anything on the Crombie website but I texted directly to The Brick and they just texted me back saying they will be opening here in 2020.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkfire (Post 8833438)
Directly from crombie. Tender is out right now for the land lord work,(tear off the dooleys side of the building, new roofing, etc.)


Crisisnf Feb 25, 2020 1:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8840550)
Another famous brand is struggling and starting to close stores. Victoria's Secret closing a store in a large Calgary mall. I wonder how long the one in Avalon Mall will last?

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...bdd6-113844953

Seems to me like the Mall is saturated with this type if store...La Vie en Rose, another I'm gapping on and Torrid opening soon. How many stores specializing in drawers do we need? I haven't bought underwear since Sears closed.

KDMusic Feb 25, 2020 9:15 PM

New batch of stores annouced by the mall:
- Sport Chek
- Tommy Hillfiger
- SKECHERS
- Michael Hill
- Bikini Village
- The Brick

So another shoe store, a relocated sports store, more jewelry and bikinis...

IronMan Feb 25, 2020 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDMusic (Post 8842329)
New batch of stores annouced by the mall:
- Sport Chek
- Tommy Hillfiger
- SKECHERS
- Michael Hill
- Bikini Village
- The Brick

So another shoe store, a relocated sports store, more jewelry and bikinis...


So the Sport Check is moving out of the Village?

Malreynolds Feb 25, 2020 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisisnf (Post 8841308)
Seems to me like the Mall is saturated with this type if store...La Vie en Rose, another I'm gapping on and Torrid opening soon. How many stores specializing in drawers do we need? I haven't bought underwear since Sears closed.

Torrid isn't just underwear it's plus size clothing in general

SpongeG Mar 3, 2020 3:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreynolds (Post 8842404)
Torrid isn't just underwear it's plus size clothing in general

Its the plus size sister brand of Hot Topic, lots of goths used to shop there years ago but its gotten more mainstream now.


...

Retail insider story on the mall
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-redevelopment

Sctttmmy Mar 4, 2020 11:57 AM

Stokes in both malls have shop closing sales on, already gone in Grand Falls and Corner Brook

Tocchet22 Mar 4, 2020 4:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sctttmmy (Post 8850350)
Stokes in both malls have shop closing sales on, already gone in Grand Falls and Corner Brook

https://www.bargainmoose.ca/news/sto...closing-263976

List of store closings not given...

J_Murphy Mar 4, 2020 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 8842375)
So the Sport Check is moving out of the Village?

According to the Telegram, yes.

https://www.thetelegram.com/business...ce=parsely-api

J_Murphy Apr 24, 2020 11:56 PM

Drove up Kenmount today and noticed there is demo work happening on woodgate plaza. Not sure if tearing down or just stripping the exterior at this point.

rob_fmd Apr 25, 2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 8903580)
Drove up Kenmount today and noticed there is demo work happening on woodgate plaza. Not sure if tearing down or just stripping the exterior at this point.

At one point the ghost of Consumers Distributing was making an appearance there.

https://twitter.com/Blarcade/status/...908673/photo/1

ec1983 Apr 28, 2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 8903580)
Drove up Kenmount today and noticed there is demo work happening on woodgate plaza. Not sure if tearing down or just stripping the exterior at this point.

They are tearing down about a third of the building.

Chew May 15, 2020 10:19 PM

Anyone know what the deal is with Bouclair? The local store has been closed since the pandemic began, of course, and was listed on the site as temporarily closed. We wanted to buy an item and the shipping was insane so we kept checking the site to see if they were doing curbside here but now it comes up as permanently closed. I can't find any closure announcement anywhere though...

Crisisnf May 30, 2020 12:35 AM

Been noticing for several weeks that Sol Studio (not sure if I got that right) by Shoppers on Merchant Dr has been looking empty. Read a notice on the door today which indicated that it was abandoned by the tenant. Yet another victim of the pandemic.

Marty_Mcfly May 30, 2020 2:51 AM

I also noticed while out today that the final phase of the Avalon Mall expansion is pretty much closed in and nearly finished on the exterior.

jjavman May 30, 2020 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 8936734)
I also noticed while out today that the final phase of the Avalon Mall expansion is pretty much closed in and nearly finished on the exterior.

HAH. You reminded me I took pics 2 weeks ago and forgot to post. duh

https://i.imgur.com/IYnlDsC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/B08VEWt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BJWVxSv.jpg

statbass Jun 4, 2020 12:38 PM

St. John’s Proposes Pedestrian-Only Mall to Boost Downtown Business
 
An interesting concept to help boost struggling businesses in DT. We need every ounce of creativity and innovation at this point. It'd be interesting to see where this goes.

VOCM News
June 4, 2020

Quote:

As businesses struggle to cope with newfound challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of St. John’s has put forward a proposal for a pedestrian-only mall, aiming to stimulate the downtown economy.

The idea is to provide businesses with a manner to expand the capacity of their shops within a vehicle-free area of downtown St. John’s. Existing businesses would be able to apply to temporarily expand onto the sidewalk or parking meter spaces.
https://vocm.com/2020/06/03/downtown-pedestrian-mall/

goodgrowth Jun 4, 2020 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 8942171)
An interesting concept to help boost struggling businesses in DT. We need every ounce of creativity and innovation at this point. It'd be interesting to see where this goes.

VOCM News
June 4, 2020



https://vocm.com/2020/06/03/downtown-pedestrian-mall/

Definitely cool but are we going to drop some of the social distancing rules and "nannyism" to let it work?

Also DT needs a bus hub...

Marty_Mcfly Jun 4, 2020 2:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8942198)
Definitely cool but are we going to drop some of the social distancing rules and "nannyism" to let it work?

Also DT needs a bus hub...

I would argue that this helps DT business more easily follow social distancing rules while benefiting the most from the poor situation. Without the extra outdoor space I would imagine most restaurants would need to cut the number of tables in their dining rooms in half to reduce crowding. Now you have a large swath of land right outside your front door to space out those extra tables.

goodgrowth Jun 4, 2020 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 8942253)
I would argue that this helps DT business more easily follow social distancing rules while benefiting the most from the poor situation. Without the extra outdoor space I would imagine most restaurants would need to cut the number of tables in their dining rooms in half to reduce crowding. Now you have a large swath of land right outside your front door to space out those extra tables.

Sure as long as they are allowed to build ample sized patios (beyond the sidewalk and out onto the street) and there are no capacity restrictions with regards to patios.

jjavman Jun 4, 2020 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8942198)
Definitely cool but are we going to drop some of the social distancing rules and "nannyism" to let it work?

Also DT needs a bus hub...

That could work on Harbour Drive.

ec1983 Jun 5, 2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8942308)
Sure as long as they are allowed to build ample sized patios (beyond the sidewalk and out onto the street) and there are no capacity restrictions with regards to patios.

Anything that involves drinking is going to be limited to the sidewalk. NLC won't allow alcohol consumption in the street.

thevan Jun 11, 2020 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjavman (Post 8942500)
That could work on Harbour Drive.

This.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.