SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Lowrise/General Developments Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160247)

PhilliesPhan Apr 26, 2019 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaamazarite (Post 8553312)
New stuff:

1208 Chestnut finally got a construction permit: 11 stories, 49 units

124 S 51st: 60 units

1209 Vine: 3 story addition (8 stories total), 90 units

19 S 44th: 4 stories, 6 units

644 N 32nd: 4 stories, 5 units

2204 Walnut: 7 story addition on the back, 2 on the front, 24 units

2100 Hamilton got a foundation-only permit

2026 Spring Garden: 4 stories, 11 units

That's the huge beer distributor building at 51st and Sansom. I'm always glad to hear about new developments in West Philly! Seems like there are a lot of projects inching closer to 52nd Street too, which makes me excited to see that corridor eventually take off (it already has to an extent around Malcolm X Park at 52nd and Larchwood).

3rd&Brown Apr 26, 2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartphilly (Post 8553082)
I was in NYC (Manhattan) over the Easter weekend, and the streetscape/landscape is very well done. Tulips and other scrubs and trees looked to be in sync on residential streets and on commercial corridors landscape was very well done and maintained. There was even iron works on around the patch of earth where the trees and tulips were planted on residential streets. This was repeated every 20-30 ft. Philly needs to take a page out of the play book of NYC. I know it probably boils down to money, but little things like this make the city look good and people feel good when their city is nice looking. Full disclosure: I did see in parts of upper west side, the streets were dirty and plenty of homeless hanging around. So, it's not like they don't have what we have in terms of homelessness and dirty streets.

Where was this? Midtown East?

I work in Soho. It's filthy.

iheartphilly Apr 26, 2019 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown (Post 8553980)

Dirty around 70th-78th on Broadway was pretty filthy. Trash on the streets and sideways. 69th down all the way to Columbus Circle was very clean.

My friend was in SoHo and he also said it was filthy too.

Londonee Apr 27, 2019 2:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown (Post 8553980)

The streets in vast swaths of UWS and UES are immaculate between avenues, especially near park. I've spent a many a dull weekends in these parts. Equivalent of CCRA (neighborhood improvement districts) take care of them. It's noticeable.

PhilliesPhan Apr 27, 2019 8:02 PM

I was at the Steel Furnace Meeting for a good 3 hours, and I decided to walk back to my old neighborhood (Templetown) to grab a slice of City View Pizza. The thing I noticed that almost made me jump, is that the 2600 and 2500 blocks of Cecil B. Moore Ave both have numerous new construction projects rising. This would have been completely inconceivable two years ago, let alone when I was growing up in the city in the 2000s! Also, I forgot to report this about two weeks ago, but new development has advanced north of Berks along 5th Street. I saw new homes wrapping up at 5th and Norris, as well as some random new homes going up on the 2000 (between Norris and Diamond) and 2100 (between Diamond and Susquehanna) blocks of N. 5th Street!

To those of you who’ve said that Cecil B. Moore will be the new line of demarcation for North Philly, you’re completely right. Once that section between 19th and 29th Street fills in, then Lehigh Ave will be next!

Jayfar Apr 28, 2019 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan (Post 8554578)
…then Lehigh Ave will be next!

Anyone hear anything new of the supposed project in the Ford/Botany 500 building at Broad & Lehigh (2700 N. Broad)? If this gets going, then more pieces would fall in place around it. I don't see any new permits yet yet though; just some 'make safe' stuff from last year.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...2197346402239/

3rd&Brown Apr 28, 2019 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Londonee (Post 8554130)
The streets in vast swaths of UWS and UES are immaculate between avenues, especially near park. I've spent a many a dull weekends in these parts. Equivalent of CCRA (neighborhood improvement districts) take care of them. It's noticeable.

That was the point I was getting at.

People in Philly are generally anti-BID (though that's changing nee Northern Liberties), because they say "the city should do it"..."look at NYC, it's clean".

Generally, the places in Manhattan that are immaculate have BIDs (like Midtown East, Columbus Circle, Grand Central, etc). Of course, outsiders would never know that.

Someone upthread was also talking about how good the tree pits looked in Manhattan...again, a BID. Not the city. Not a neighborhood association (these generally don't exist in NYC). The BID.

iheartphilly Apr 28, 2019 7:58 PM

^
Hey to the both of you, never said either, or. Comment was admiring and critiquing that part of the city. BID is a public-private partnership. According to the NYC's BID website, I couldn't find one for the the streets/commercial corridor mention above 70th but below 82nd on Broadway.

PurpleWhiteOut Apr 29, 2019 5:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayfar (Post 8554774)
Anyone hear anything new of the supposed project in the Ford/Botany 500 building at Broad & Lehigh (2700 N. Broad)? If this gets going, then more pieces would fall in place around it. I don't see any new permits yet yet though; just some 'make safe' stuff from last year.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...2197346402239/

I love that building, and it's been kept in decent shape. I hope something comes of it soon, because it would be a huge boost between temple and temple med. Residential would be great and all, but I feel like it would be a really cool research (and residential?) building because it's so large.

Londonee Apr 29, 2019 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartphilly (Post 8555211)
^
Hey to the both of you, never said either, or. Comment was admiring and critiquing that part of the city. BID is a public-private partnership. According to the NYC's BID website, I couldn't find one for the the streets/commercial corridor mention above 70th but below 82nd on Broadway.

http://www.columbusavenuebid.org/neighborhood.php

There's a bunch. That one runs into the Lincoln Square ID. Was more for the board's edification, not yours. I think the city should provide basic services like gutter sweeping once a month, a basic level of street trash cans.... but semi-weekly trash sweeping and additional beautification projects (like street tree flower beds) can be funded by BIDs.

iheartphilly Apr 29, 2019 2:00 PM

^
OK, thanks.

jsbrook Apr 30, 2019 12:10 AM

Anyone seen or have the renders for the 1208 Chestnut project? http://planphilly.com/articles/2019/...KhqzkKNrEUC24Y

Aaamazarite Apr 30, 2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrook (Post 8556595)
Anyone seen or have the renders for the 1208 Chestnut project? http://planphilly.com/articles/2019/...KhqzkKNrEUC24Y

Probably similar to the previous proposal that was a little shorter

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/27-328343.pdf

The buildings on both sides of this have windows on their party walls so it'll be interesting if they block all of them with this building-- I'm not a lawyer but I've been researching old case law on this in Philly and PA and it looks like they will be entirely within their rights to build their party walls directly over those windows. Maybe one of your here that is an attorney knows more?

jsbrook Apr 30, 2019 1:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaamazarite (Post 8557031)
Probably similar to the previous proposal that was a little shorter

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/27-328343.pdf

The buildings on both sides of this have windows on their party walls so it'll be interesting if they block all of them with this building-- I'm not a lawyer but I've been researching old case law on this in Philly and PA and it looks like they will be entirely within their rights to build their party walls directly over those windows. Maybe one of your here that is an attorney knows more?

Thanks for posting this one. I'm a lawyer, but this is not my area of specialty. What you say seems logical. However, I do know that 262 S. 16th Street going up next to Monk's is having to seek approval/a variance to add some additional windows facing Locust on the floors that will rise above the neighboring buildings.

Aaamazarite Apr 30, 2019 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrook (Post 8557039)
Thanks for posting this one. I'm a lawyer, but this is not my area of specialty. What you say seems logical. However, I do know that 262 S. 16th Street going up next to Monk's is having to seek approval/a variance to add some additional windows facing Locust on the floors that will rise above the neighboring buildings.

Yeah from what I understand, the Philadelphia Code doesn't have any specific language about windows on party walls but the International Building Code does.

One of the old Philly cases was about a house that had a first floor kitchen window on its party wall facing someone's backyard. The neighbor didn't like it so he built a cinder block wall right in front of it on his own property. The builder of the wall won the case. I think about it because my neighbor at my house has a window on the party wall on the second floor facing my backyard. It's never really bothered me because its a small bathroom window that's 6 feet high inside that room but I always wondered about its legality.

City Wide Apr 30, 2019 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaamazarite (Post 8557127)
Yeah from what I understand, the Philadelphia Code doesn't have any specific language about windows on party walls but the International Building Code does.

One of the old Philly cases was about a house that had a first floor kitchen window on its party wall facing someone's backyard. The neighbor didn't like it so he built a cinder block wall right in front of it on his own property. The builder of the wall won the case. I think about it because my neighbor at my house has a window on the party wall on the second floor facing my backyard. It's never really bothered me because its a small bathroom window that's 6 feet high inside that room but I always wondered about its legality.

On one hand I don't think theres any reason not to put a window on a party wall, but it might be a matter of 'buyers be aware that you could lose it at anytime'. The building code requires a certain fire rating on any wall built on the property line, 2 hours or 4 hour fire rating, and I doubt a window could give you that rating. I've heard of people buying air rights so this sortof opening could be done, but that might be a urban legend.

Any chance someone could post a photo of what 1208 looked like back in the day before it had a fire. It was a beautiful building.

Kfmcshan Apr 30, 2019 6:31 PM

http://www.philarising.com/wp-conten...a-1024x768.jpg

Demolition and 32 Unit Mixed-Use Building Proposed for Chinatown
This one is going to the ZBA tomorrow

iheartphilly Apr 30, 2019 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kfmcshan (Post 8557490)

I wonder if PCDC is getting a change petition to save this one like the Chinese Cultural and Community Center. Granted, the Cultural Center is more grand in its historical context. I have mixed feeling about destroying Chinatown buildings. I personally like the overbuilds that I've seen thus far rather than a complete demo.

Aaamazarite Apr 30, 2019 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Wide (Post 8557147)
Any chance someone could post a photo of what 1208 looked like back in the day before it had a fire. It was a beautiful building.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aJBYfajjfF...2Bchestnut.jpg

Philly Fan Apr 30, 2019 11:50 PM

Hotel at Philly’s historic Family Court to be run by operator of Standard in NYC, Hollywood Roosevelt

https://www.philly.com/resizer/BAYD6...PJINBRABYE.jpg

Quote:

The operator of the Standard Hotel, which straddles New York’s High Line, has a deal to run the historic Family Court building near Logan Square after its conversion into a luxury hotel.

Journal Hotels, which also owns the Mondrian Park Avenue hotel in New York and the Hollywood Roosevelt hotel in Los Angeles, has been contracted by developer Peebles Corp. to operate its planned hotel at 1801 Vine St., Peebles chief executive R. Donahue Peebles said Monday.
Quote:

Peebles, whose Coral Gables, Fla.-based company was awarded the project in 2014 after a competitive bidding process, said the redevelopment work could begin as soon as late June, provided it is successful in obtaining at least $1.5 million in additional grant funding sought from the state’s Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program.