SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Downtown & City of Portland (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Albina Vision / Rose Quarter Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152548)

MarkDaMan Apr 24, 2023 9:28 PM

[$] https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...ghborhood.html

Quote:

Phil and Penny Knight pledge $400 million for Portland’s historically Black Albina neighborhood
Updated: Apr. 24, 2023, 2:22 p.m.|Published: Apr. 24, 2023, 2:05 p.m.
By Jeff Manning | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Phil and Penny Knight on Monday pledged to contribute $400 million to Rebuild Albina, a local effort intended to strengthen Portland’s Black community.

Rebuild Albina will invest in educational, cultural and other groups that will “transform current and future generations of Black Portland.”

The investment pairs two powerhouses in Knight, the billionaire co-founder of Nike, and Rukaiyah Adams, the high-profile Portland financial expert and community leader. Adams chairs the 1803 Fund, which will oversee the Rebuild Albina project.

Adams, formerly a top investment official at Meyer Memorial Trust and chair of the Oregon Investment Council, also serves on the board of the Albina Vision Trust, which has advanced a proposal to rebuild the historically Black neighborhood of Lower Albina.

...(continues)

CorbinWarrick Apr 24, 2023 9:57 PM

Wow that’s huge news. Phil must know he’s going to get the Blazers finally for him to have such a mutual benefit in the area

maccoinnich Apr 24, 2023 10:24 PM

It would be hard to overstate the significance of this. Once this $400 million is leveraged against other sources of public and private funding, that's a massive amount of investment in the neighborhood.

CorbinWarrick Apr 24, 2023 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccoinnich (Post 9927197)
It would be hard to overstate the significance of this. Once this $400 million is leveraged against other sources of public and private funding, that's a massive amount of investment in the neighborhood.

It might just be a big coincidence. But if I’m buying the blazers I’m going to help bankroll the area with a donation like this.

urbanlife Apr 25, 2023 7:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick (Post 9927174)
Wow that’s huge news. Phil must know he’s going to get the Blazers finally for him to have such a mutual benefit in the area

I wouldn't go that far, this is an amazing investment, but I don't think it has anything to do with any other ventures. When Knight offered to buy the Blazers, he gave a very low ball offer. If he was actually serious, he would have offered a realistic offer.

CorbinWarrick Apr 25, 2023 8:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanlife (Post 9927483)
I wouldn't go that far, this is an amazing investment, but I don't think it has anything to do with any other ventures. When Knight offered to buy the Blazers, he gave a very low ball offer. If he was actually serious, he would have offered a realistic offer.

That was just the feeler we all know the first offer isn’t your final one. I don’t know like I said it might be a coincidence but it does have a huge benefit for him to invest in the area around his potential new toy

urbanlife Apr 25, 2023 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick (Post 9927494)
That was just the feeler we all know the first offer isn’t your final one. I don’t know like I said it might be a coincidence but it does have a huge benefit for him to invest in the area around his potential new toy

Unless he shells out $3-4 billion for the team, it ain't happening.

CorbinWarrick Apr 25, 2023 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanlife (Post 9927898)
Unless he shells out $3-4 billion for the team, it ain't happening.

Knight is worth 50B come on dude lol… and the way these nba teams jump in value is nuts. It’ll be worth triple in 10 years. if he buys the blazers he would be the 2nd richest owner in the nba after Ballmer. 3-4B is nothing to him. If he wants the team he’ll get it

Tykendo Apr 25, 2023 9:13 PM

The Blazers are in the beginning process of a renovation of the Moda Center that will get the Arena ready for the Women's Final Four in 2030. They did the roof last year. Will be removing & replacing all the steel seating in the lower bowl this offseason. It's a stage renovation that's similar to what happened at Madison Square Garden in New York City. So 2030 is probably the earliest Jody sells the team as part of the Paul Allen Trust. By then the team will most like be worth north of 5 Billion. These improvements to the Rose Quarter, and the Albina Vision Development bode well for the Albina area going forward.

maccoinnich Jun 27, 2023 3:00 PM

Building permit issued for Albina One yesterday:

Quote:

ALBINA ONE - New 7-story building with 94 units (all affordable) a large community room and services, lobby, flexible meeting space, and a small commercial space; no vehicle parking provided; includes solar panels on the roof and balconies *** w/22-191438-MT ***

maccoinnich Sep 11, 2023 11:15 PM

Quote:

Albina Vision Trust buys HQ building: 'This isn't just a vision anymore'

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/12593183/unknown.jpg

Albina Vision Trust, the group working to reestablish Lower Albina as a hub for Portland's Black community, has acquired a building on North Williams as its future headquarters.

The 4,500-square-foot office building in the heart of Albina, at 2156 N. Williams Ave., has room for community space and a gallery to display works by Black artists.

Today, AVT is in the Leftbank building at 240 N. Broadway, one of the few remaining buildings from what AVT's J.T. Flowers described as the Golden Age of Albina. Many other organizations are there, too.

...continues at the Portland Business Journal ($).

M Kass Sep 12, 2023 3:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccoinnich (Post 10036192)

My family and I live five doors from this building on Thompson. It's definitely been an underutilized corner since Albertina Kerr left the building-- with that said, and with inclusion of black artists in mind, there is literally an entire exhibit of black local and regional artists at PAM from October until February that is inhabiting much of the non-permanent collection space. At the risk of cancellation, most galleries in town are clamoring for inclusionary artists, so is it really necessary to have a gallery showing only black artists? This neighborhood is burgeoning with artists of all races, creeds and ideology. I may sound like a jerk, but when does inclusive become exclusive? Sidenote, we are a biracial household and have been a part of the Albina arts community for 15 years...... feel free to cancel me.

uncommon.name Sep 12, 2023 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Kass (Post 10036333)
My family and I live five doors from this building on Thompson. It's definitely been an underutilized corner since Albertina Kerr left the building-- with that said, and with inclusion of black artists in mind, there is literally an entire exhibit of black local and regional artists at PAM from October until February that is inhabiting much of the non-permanent collection space. At the risk of cancellation, most galleries in town are clamoring for inclusionary artists, so is it really necessary to have a gallery showing only black artists? This neighborhood is burgeoning with artists of all races, creeds and ideology. I may sound like a jerk, but when does inclusive become exclusive? Sidenote, we are a biracial household and have been a part of the Albina arts community for 15 years...... feel free to cancel me.

I think the part that you have to consider here, is the Albina Vision Trust is about bring back the POC culture and history that was damaged by the development of I5 and other projects that damaged what was once a flourishing Black community. Literally their purpose is to bring that back, so while it's wonderful that all of those other places you mentioned are featuring art from the Black community, that is quite literally what the Albina Vision is all about.

Here is what their mission statement stands for. "Albina Vision Trust (AVT) is stewarding the thoughtful reinvention of lower Albina, the cultural heart of Portland and the once-thriving center of Portland's Black community, from which thousands of residents were forcibly displaced."

M Kass Sep 12, 2023 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncommon.name (Post 10036651)
I think the part that you have to consider here, is the Albina Vision Trust is about bring back the POC culture and history that was damaged by the development of I5 and other projects that damaged what was once a flourishing Black community. Literally their purpose is to bring that back, so while it's wonderful that all of those other places you mentioned are featuring art from the Black community, that is quite literally what the Albina Vision is all about.

Here is what their mission statement stands for. "Albina Vision Trust (AVT) is stewarding the thoughtful reinvention of lower Albina, the cultural heart of Portland and the once-thriving center of Portland's Black community, from which thousands of residents were forcibly displaced."

I totally understand that, and am in full support. I helped do layout for the book Jumptown and also played a lot of gigs with Sweet Baby James Benton who owned a jazz club and speakeasy on Williams way back when. I understand the ramifications of the Vanport flood, the gentrification caused by the hospital, etc.. I support the cultural re-establishment aspirations, but at the same time, I think there is a bit of an overreach that is even being felt by the black community to try and live up to the expectations put upon the community by a huge influx of money. Kind of a 'you better do good things with art, music and sport and the expectations are high with all this Phil money', is what I hear from friends in the community. I think letting some aspects happen organically without a broad brush would be welcomed by all in the neighborhood. This feels a little bit like a marketing strategy than an honest attempt to re-establish cultutal footholds. That's just a boots on the ground feeling and sentiment I am picking up, though. We'll see. Again, I am in full support and will go to the gallery and enjoy it!

MarkDaMan Jan 24, 2024 12:21 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/education...-building.html
Quote:

Albina Vision Trust proposes swap: Portland Public Schools headquarters for downtown building
Updated: Jan. 23, 2024, 4:18 p.m.|Published: Jan. 23, 2024, 3:09 p.m.
By Jayati Ramakrishnan | The Oregonian/OregonLiveJulia Silverman | The Oregonian/OregonLive

A nonprofit spearheading the redevelopment of Portland’s historic Lower Albina neighborhood will make a pitch to purchase Portland Public Schools’ headquarters in exchange for helping the school district purchase a new headquarters in the city core.

Albina Vision Trust will propose the transaction at Tuesday’s school board meeting, with the hope that the school board will approve it sometime next month.

Winta Yohannes, the executive director of Albina Vision Trust, said the nonprofit would then spend the next six to nine months identifying a new headquarters site for the school district. It’s not clear how long it would take the school district to physically relocate.

Albina Vision Trust said in a memo to the school board that partnering to find a new headquarter building would be the only “cost neutral” option for the district. Remaining in the existing headquarters would cost the district about $14 million, due to operating costs and deferred maintenance, Yohannes said. And renovating the building or constructing a new one offsite would cost the district millions more, the nonprofit suggested.

The memo said that, because of downtown Portland’s slow real estate market, Portland Public Schools would likely spend significantly less money on a headquarters building in that area, which would increase in value as the market rebounds.
...(continues)

sopdx Jan 24, 2024 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDaMan (Post 10127071)

I think this is a brilliant idea.

maccoinnich Jan 24, 2024 12:50 AM

I hope this happens; it would be a win-win for the city.

PhillyPDX Jan 24, 2024 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccoinnich (Post 10127092)
I hope this happens; it would be a win-win for the city.

But doesn't the PPS HQ also house lots of non-office functions too? Like maintenance, supplies, etc? I recall this being a big topic during the Tubman MS move discussion (also considered the HQ site). Would it just be for the office building but not all of the other functions that can't easily be moved downtown?

PhillyPDX Feb 21, 2024 3:00 PM

I wonder how this will all shake out. Downtown doesn't help with all of the maintenance and kitchens facilities co-located at the current HQ. Is the cost including the relocation of those big facilities to some 3rd location? Or is that still TBD?

PPS hasn't exactly been the best steward of education dollars/decisions, so I'm curious what this will look like.

https://www.oregonlive.com/education...velopment.html

DMH Feb 21, 2024 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyPDX (Post 10148310)
I wonder how this will all shake out. Downtown doesn't help with all of the maintenance and kitchens facilities co-located at the current HQ. Is the cost including the relocation of those big facilities to some 3rd location? Or is that still TBD?

PPS hasn't exactly been the best steward of education dollars/decisions, so I'm curious what this will look like.

https://www.oregonlive.com/education...velopment.html

The article states that PPS will spend the next several months studying the logistics of locating the non-office functions away from the proposed Downtown HQ building before finalizing the sale of their building. I hope that they get professional planning help to do that efficiently rather than rely on in-house planners. I am optimistic that it will work out. With a unanimous decision by the Board, PPS obviously wants the deal to happen so that Albina Vision Trust can move forward in rebuilding the neighborhood that was lost decades ago.