SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Architype Dec 12, 2012 7:26 AM

Never eaten at Taco Bell's, I only like Mexican food if it's very well executed.

statbass Dec 12, 2012 12:07 PM

N.B. company plans to re-establish KFC in St. John’s

Source: The Telegram
Date: Dec 12, 2012
Author: Daniel MacEachern

Quote:

The restaurant group working to fill the KFC void outside the St. John’s area says it wants to do the same within the city.
After The Telegram reported this week that Mary Brown’s had bought two St. John’s KFC outlets and was considering purchasing the remaining five, the New Brunswick-based Franchise Management Inc. said it hopes to open six locations next year.

Dwight Fraser, the company’s president, said Tuesday it opened a KFC in Clarenville last week — one of the locations lost when multiple-franchise owner Renee Marquis elected not to renew her 10 franchise leases but instead open a chain of family restaurants called Oppy’s Diner. Marquis’s decision meant the only KFCs in the province as of October were the seven in St. John’s and a small outlet in Happy Valley- Goose Bay, but Fraser said FMI is accelerating plans to rebuild KFC’s presence in Newfoundland and Labrador.

“Everything is rolling along on schedule,” he said. “We opened in Clarenville last Saturday, and we’re very, very happy with how that’s turned out.” FMI expects to open KFCs in Corner Brook in the second week of January, in Lewisporte, Deer Lake and Carbonear in the third week of January, in Marystown the first week of February, and in Grand Falls-Windsor and Gander in mid- to late February. “These are just targets, but we’re far enough along in construction that we’re hoping to hit those dates....”
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...C-inSt-Johns/1

Depending on this outcome I wonder if any potentially new KFC locations will include a Taco-Bell?? I've eaten there before and it's not the best place to say the least, but when you're jonesing for a cheap taco it gives you an option. Plus this is fast food we're talking about so obviously moderation is a key factor here.

jeddy1989 Dec 12, 2012 12:23 PM

:previous:
I'm for any increase in options or availabilty of services .. even if it's an influx of Mary Browns and KFCs :)

and yes hopefully a taco bell is attached to one of the new ones .. I personally really enjoy it .. as a fast food option (in moderation of course gots ta keep me figure)

Ayreonaut Dec 13, 2012 11:24 PM

Maybe Alberta's Mucho Burrito can come instead. They're waaaay better than any other chain in Canada except Taco Del Mar (but still better). Website

I mean, there are Mary Brown's locations in AB, make it a fair trade of sorts. :P

statbass Dec 14, 2012 2:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut (Post 5937127)
Maybe Alberta's Mucho Burrito can come instead. They're waaaay better than any other chain in Canada except Taco Del Mar (but still better). Website

I mean, there are Mary Brown's locations in AB, make it a fair trade of sorts. :P

Taco Time is pretty good; although, i only had it once. :D

PoscStudent Dec 14, 2012 3:48 AM

Forgot to say that Athletes World is having a closing sale in the mall! This is a larger store so we could either see a couple of stores go there or a bit more of a major store. Maybe that Apple type of store will go there?

statbass Dec 14, 2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5937406)
Forgot to say that Athletes World is having a closing sale in the mall! This is a larger store so we could either see a couple of stores go there or a bit more of a major store. Maybe that Apple type of store will go there?

This would be a big enough space for, say, an H&M? Hmmmm........

jeddy1989 Dec 14, 2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5937621)
This would be a big enough space for, say, an H&M? Hmmmm........

maybe... but H&Ms are usually quite large, more along the lines of urban planet's size

SignalHillHiker Dec 14, 2012 11:56 AM

:ohyeah Come on, another Walmart!

lol JK

J_Murphy Dec 14, 2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Can someone please remind me where Athletes World is? I can't picture it.

statbass Dec 14, 2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5937632)
Can someone please remind me where Athletes World is? I can't picture it.

It's in the wing just down from Lawton's. I can't remember the last time I set foot inside that store.

J_Murphy Dec 14, 2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5937639)
It's in the wing just down from Lawton's. I can't remember the last time I set foot inside that store.

Oh yeah. Well, goes to show how much I go there since I couldn't remember where it was.

statbass Dec 14, 2012 3:50 PM

I heard through a former colleague of my wife that La Senza on Stavanger is closing. That's not too surprising seeing there are two other locations at both the Village and Avalon Malls. Having a lingerie boutique store in the middle of a power centre does seem like an odd fit. If this is a true, I wonder what would go in this location?

Arrakis Dec 14, 2012 7:21 PM

FYI. Athlete's World closing in Avalon Mall is not just a regional thing. They are closing down nationally all across Canada. There is an announcement on their website. http://www.athletesworld.ca

Quote:

Arrakis Dec 14, 2012 7:27 PM

Not surprised by this. Doesn't seem like the kind of store you would see at a power centre. There will always be stores like that though coming and going at centres like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5937810)
I heard through a former colleague of my wife that La Senza on Stavanger is closing. That's not too surprising seeing there are two other locations at both the Village and Avalon Malls. Having a lingerie boutique store in the middle of a power centre does seem like an odd fit. If this is a true, I wonder what would go in this location?

PoscStudent Dec 14, 2012 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5938063)
FYI. Athlete's World closing in Avalon Mall is not just a regional thing. They are closing down nationally all across Canada. There is an announcement on their website. http://www.athletesworld.ca

Yeah I thought I had heard that. To bad I guess but the store had become pretty crappy.

MonctonRad Dec 14, 2012 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5937629)
maybe... but H&Ms are usually quite large, more along the lines of urban planet's size

The H&M in Moncton is essentially a mini department store. It ate up about four storefronts in Champlain Place and is roughly twice the size of our Urban Planet.

Marty_Mcfly Dec 14, 2012 9:51 PM

Yeah the smallest H&M I was ever in still took up three floors of a building, and was about the size of say Winners/Homesense? H&M probably haven't opened up shop yet in St. John's because of the lack of vacant space they'd need.

PoscStudent Dec 14, 2012 11:35 PM

The one in Halfax doesn't seem that large, but it's still bigger then any space available in the Avalon mall.

Arrakis Dec 14, 2012 11:38 PM

Who owns the building that is currently leased out to Cabot Ford on the Avalon Mall Parking Lot? If the Avalon Mall didnt buy this up when Tom Woodford went under, they were pretty stupid. If they don't own it, they should definitely enquirer about obtaining it. It would give them a huge piece of property for another parking lot box store, especially if they want to woo H&M or even Old Navy.

Townie709 Dec 14, 2012 11:47 PM

:previous: That's a good idea! I'm not sure who owns it. Since Tom Woodford went out of buisness, it seems car dealers have been renting it out while they build permanent dealerships up the road. Subaru, BMW, and now Ford. I have talked to employees who work there and apparently the building is horribly designed for a car dealership (for example, the showroom is on the second floor and it has very few maintenance bays. Around 3 I think, and for comparison the new Cabot Ford they're building will have 11 I believe)

For these reasons, I think after dealerships stop renting it for short periods of time, it will be converted to retail. Perhaps one large retail store like H&M. Who knows!

Marty_Mcfly Dec 15, 2012 12:21 AM

I don't think the Avalon Mall owns the building, but I agree in thinking that it would be in their best interests to inquire about getting it!

CaspinK Dec 15, 2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5938453)
:previous: That's a good idea! I'm not sure who owns it. Since Tom Woodford went out of buisness, it seems car dealers have been renting it out while they build permanent dealerships up the road. Subaru, BMW, and now Ford. I have talked to employees who work there and apparently the building is horribly designed for a car dealership (for example, the showroom is on the second floor and it has very few maintenance bays. Around 3 I think, and for comparison the new Cabot Ford they're building will have 11 I believe)

For these reasons, I think after dealerships stop renting it for short periods of time, it will be converted to retail. Perhaps one large retail store like H&M. Who knows!

I've heard that the city wants the mall to tear that building down. Potentially the intersection (next to ultramar) will be moved down to Polina Rd which is a really dangerous left hand turn.

Townie709 Dec 15, 2012 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaspinK (Post 5938503)
I've heard that the city wants the mall to tear that building down. Potentially the intersection (next to ultramar) will be moved down to Polina Rd which is a really dangerous left hand turn.

Interesting. That seems like a better solution. I think the building is in poor condition anyway. Thanks for the info!

Arrakis Dec 15, 2012 1:35 PM

That would be a good idea for sure. Makes for a safer intersection there. I would say once the the new bifurcation feeder road from Old Pennywell Road is completed, there will be a lot more traffic feeding down Polina Road to Kenmount which makes sense why the city would want to re-align the intersection into a much safer layout. That old Tom Woodford building has been there almost as long as the mall has been there since the late 1960's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaspinK (Post 5938503)

techie Dec 16, 2012 8:34 PM

I am pretty sure Crombie REIT (owner of Avalon Mall) did buy it. Also, I think they now own the Toys R Us building too.

CaspinK Dec 16, 2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techie (Post 5940269)
I am pretty sure Crombie REIT (owner of Avalon Mall) did buy it. Also, I think they now own the Toys R Us building too.

Makes sense. I heard the rent in that building was insane, which means Crombie REIT probably owns it now. :P

Update:

http://www.crombiereit.ca/PDF/factsheet_172.pdf ... Yup, they own it.

Arrakis Dec 17, 2012 3:11 PM

This is interesting. I know the owners of Avalon Mall had in the past, wanted to amalgamate the parking lots of the mall and Woodgate Plaza but Woodgate Plaza owners at the time wouldn't agree to it. I wonder now will they fill in the rest of that pesky river that runs under the mall parking lot. Certainly would give much more need parking and make access to Woodgate Plaza much easier especially if you could enter from the Avalon Mall parking lot behind it. Who knows, perhaps this is where you might end up seeing the much talked about H&M as Dooleys Pool Hall is gone now and leaves quite a large space for leasing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaspinK (Post 5940379)
Makes sense. I heard the rent in that building was insane, which means Crombie REIT probably owns it now. :P

Update:

http://www.crombiereit.ca/PDF/factsheet_172.pdf ... Yup, they own it.

jeddy1989 Dec 17, 2012 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5941041)
This is interesting. I know the owners of Avalon Mall had in the past, wanted to amalgamate the parking lots of the mall and Woodgate Plaza but Woodgate Plaza owners at the time wouldn't agree to it. I wonder now will they fill in the rest of that pesky river that runs under the mall parking lot. Certainly would give much more need parking and make access to Woodgate Plaza much easier especially if you could enter from the Avalon Mall parking lot behind it. Who knows, perhaps this is where you might end up seeing the much talked about H&M as Dooleys Pool Hall is gone now and leaves quite a large space for leasing.

ok it's getting a bit rediculous .. they could have at least put all these "outside the mall" stores in a new wing or something .. it's horrible to have to go outside (and tehre arnt even convenient doors leading to them) and try to venture across the death trap that is the avalon mall parking lot .. to go to a handfull of stores .. then god help ya if you wanted to also go to dollarama lol

Arrakis Dec 17, 2012 8:22 PM

Yes you make a good point. The avalon mall parking lot is just nuts in its layout and lacks good planning. Seems to go off in all directions. But at least Woodgate plaza exists as a separate entity from the main mall parking lot, at least for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5941051)
ok it's getting a bit rediculous .. they could have at least put all these "outside the mall" stores in a new wing or something .. it's horrible to have to go outside (and tehre arnt even convenient doors leading to them) and try to venture across the death trap that is the avalon mall parking lot .. to go to a handfull of stores .. then god help ya if you wanted to also go to dollarama lol

J_Murphy Dec 21, 2012 11:51 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...high-1220.html

Quote:

N.L Retail Spending at Record High
This may be the peak of the Christmas shopping season, but retail spending in Newfoundland and Labrador is at an all-time high year round.

In October, Statistics Canada said consumer spending was up 5.7 per cent from the same month the year before, with $697 million being spent by shoppers in this province during that month alone.

"I'm a shopper, I'm a shopaholic," admitted Heather Predham as she pushed her Costco cart through the store's crowded parking lot.

Not only is Predham an enthusiastic spender, she said she also witnesses the spike in spending at the business she owns - the Wendy's Restaurant in Mount Pearl.

"Yeah, our sales are up, we're one of the highest in Canada," she said.

More money, more jobs
"[There's] more money, more jobs, more everything," observed Elaine Careen, who has come home from Ottawa for a Christmas visit.

She noted that Dec. 25 may come once a year, but the way she has been watching people in her home province spend, it might as well be Christmas all year long.

"I just noticed that people don't have to wait until Christmas to get what they want. If people want something today they just go out and buy it," Careen said. "Is it because there's so many people working in Fort McMurray now and they get so much money?"

By the end of 2012, Newfoundlanders and Labradorians are projected to have spent about $8 billion on consumer goods this year.

Wow..that last figure is a bit surprising. Certainly is a lot more money in NL these days.

jeddy1989 Dec 21, 2012 12:00 PM

wowzers!

That's awesome, I mean it is obvious that a lot more money is around and a lot more people. It definitely has to do with the economy and mostly all the huge projects happening in the province and all the spin offs of those (I for one see it personally from my job .. existing and thriving as a spin off to the mega projects AND MANY TO COME) It gives people more job oprion .. and more people are hear which means more services .. which means more jobs which attracts more people etc.

Good times to be had all round

I was strolling around downtown yesterday evening and popped into a few store.. and I must say we are definitely getting much more selection! and many local stores are thriving!

we have so many specialty shoppes and like a vintage store lol stuff that caters to niches that we never use to see and would have to go to bigger cities to get .. even hempware has much more cool stuff! and that has always been our "unique" store in the past.. I must say I was impressed

:tup:
also the abundance of cafes!! holy sweet god! it's awesome to see though! very urban and european of us ;)

Downtown is a very nice place now even very much more so than when I was in high school

I'm VERY please :D

Arrakis Dec 21, 2012 6:12 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...01948991_n.jpg

I am pretty sure this is what the new Harvey's Restaurant on Hebron Drive will look like when finished. This is the most current look for stand-alone Harvey's Restaurant.
This is a photo from their website.
http://www.harveys.ca/eng/franchising.php

Townie709 Dec 21, 2012 6:31 PM

Sorry, I should probably know this, but where exactly is Hebron drive? I assume field power center?

J_Murphy Dec 21, 2012 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5947001)
Sorry, I should probably know this, but where exactly is Hebron drive? I assume field power center?

Correct.

Townie709 Dec 21, 2012 6:46 PM

Wohoooo! 500 points for me :D

Arrakis Dec 21, 2012 7:33 PM

That's quite ok. Hebron Drive is a new street so most people wouldn't really know where it is yet as it's not in public use yet though. It's off Torbay road in the new Field Power Centre development across the street from RONA on Torbay Road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5947001)

statbass Dec 21, 2012 9:29 PM

I was out around the east end today and decided to run into the NLC on Stavanger..... boy, what a bad mistake that was. It took me almost 20 mins to get from Boston Pizza to Dominion... gross!!!!!

J_Murphy Dec 22, 2012 3:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5947255)
I was out around the east end today and decided to run into the NLC on Stavanger..... boy, what a bad mistake that was. It took me almost 20 mins to get from Boston Pizza to Dominion... gross!!!!!

It is brutal. I work down that way and the intersection of Torbay and Stavanger is the worst. Everytime I go to Stavanger Drive, my immediate thought is "how can I do this without having to make a left turn".

I hate "power center" designs, horrible land use. I have to stop typing now because I am starting to get wound up just from thinking about how much I hate it down there. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having the variety of retail in the city, but the design is just horrible....especially in the winter.

mwd Dec 22, 2012 1:17 PM

yeah stavanger is def a s$#! mess, i guess they never thought it would be what it is today back in the early 90's when it started to be built. Like i said in my first post i remember when the whole stavanger, clovelly area was just "the pole line" and woods a place to ride bikes around. It started with the 2 brick buildings,where "ru a sports fan" is now and the old rogers building, and that torn down used car dealership. From what i can remember that was the only thing up there unill they built the price club and zellers in '95

J_Murphy Dec 23, 2012 2:45 AM

What would it take to get a Mountain Equipment Co-op here?

mwd Dec 23, 2012 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5948261)

OMG that would be amazing, you'd think with all the outdoor activities here in NL we'd have a few around by now. All we have is the over priced Alpine Counrty Lodge and The Outfitters DT.

Townie709 Dec 23, 2012 3:44 PM

Quote:

Hmm. It would probably require someone to purchase the franchising rights, probably the construction of a building, hiring staff, ordering stock, ect... ;) :D

statbass Dec 23, 2012 4:09 PM

Quote:

I'd say +100-150k in the metro region.

J_Murphy Dec 24, 2012 1:11 AM

I would love to see a MEC here.

On another note, looks like we are getting another gourmet burger place:

http://www.worksburger.com/Locations...3/Default.aspx

jeddy1989 Dec 24, 2012 1:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5948890)

by the looks of it we will have the only one outside of Ontario :tup:

J_Murphy Dec 24, 2012 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5948891)
by the looks of it we will have the only one outside of Ontario :tup:

http://www.worksburger.com/Franchisi...3/Default.aspx

Looking at this page, they are trying to expand to other provinces as well, but their focus is definately heavily based in Ontario. I was talking to a friend tonight about this place and apparently Relish has nothing on The Works. Can anyone else either confirm or deny this claim?

statbass Dec 24, 2012 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5948890)

I've been to a Works burger in Ottawa (the one in Westboro) - a very good spot, I enjoyed it very much! I also like Relish as well, I believe there's much selection than at Relish. As for the price, it was a couple of years ago now so I can't remember exactly.

SignalHillHiker Dec 27, 2012 6:12 PM

I went to Stavanger Drive today because my better half needed to visit a few stores. It took some pictures of some of the MANY buildings under construction there.

This is one along White Rose (Golf Town on the left) :

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/...52886468-5.jpg

Another along White Rose (Bulk Barn or Dollarama) :

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/...52886482-5.jpg

The intersection of White Rose and Torbay (Harvey's Restaurant) :

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/...52886764-5.jpg

Basically on the Walmart parking lot (TD Bank) :

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/...52886460-5.jpg

On Major's Path, behind the Canadian Red Cross (Canadian Blood Services) :

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/...52886832-5.jpg

SignalHillHiker Dec 27, 2012 8:44 PM

So, does anyone have any ideas what I photographed? lol