SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

PoscStudent Jun 4, 2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6152944)
Victoria's Secret tends to have a more MILFy clientelle in my experience. I've rarely seen teenagers/20-somethings in there.

Please don't share your experience! :)

Marty_Mcfly Jun 4, 2013 11:14 PM

Now now, don't be hating on those MILFS. Some of them are more than welcome to wear whatever that please :naughty:

PoscStudent Jun 5, 2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6153074)
Now now, don't be hating on those MILFS. Some of them are more than welcome to wear whatever that please :naughty:

It's not the MILFs I'm concerned about!

KAO79 Jun 10, 2013 3:44 AM

Intersport in the Avalon Mall is now open for all of your athletic shoe and apparel needs! Grand Opening sales start this coming Wednesday, but amazing opening deals have been going on since we opened the doors Friday!

Come on in and check it out!!

jeddy1989 Jun 10, 2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAO79 (Post 6159145)
Intersport in the Avalon Mall is now open for all of your athletic shoe and apparel needs! Grand Opening sales start this coming Wednesday, but amazing opening deals have been going on since we opened the doors Friday!

Come on in and check it out!!

I sense you're involved? hahaha

good news :)

ThisIsJustePourDire Jun 10, 2013 4:21 PM

New Retail Stores in St. John's

Hello Everyone,
My name is Patrick and I have just joined SkyscraperPage. I was wondering if someone would be able to type a list of stores coming to the St. John's area in 2013/2014 (similar to the 1st post under St. John's Retail) so I can get a better understanding of what's going on in the city. I can tell you that Moxie's will be opening here by the end of 2013.

Thanks!

SignalHillHiker Jun 10, 2013 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6153003)
Please don't share your experience! :)

:haha: Be nice!

Arrakis Jun 10, 2013 6:22 PM

Welcome Patrick to the blog.

I dont know if there is a definitive list of future retail stores on this site or not. I just listen throught the grapevine, newspaper and the city's agenda listings on their website and post what is newsworthy on here.

So where did you hear about Moxie's? Is there an official announcement anywhere?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsJustePourDire (Post 6159548)
Hello Everyone,
My name is Patrick and I have just joined SkyscraperPage. I was wondering if someone would be able to type a list of stores coming to the St. John's area in 2013/2014 (similar to the 1st post under St. John's Retail) so I can get a better understanding of what's going on in the city. I can tell you that Moxie's will be opening here by the end of 2013.

Thanks!

mrjanejacobs Jun 10, 2013 7:35 PM

Isn't Moxie's a restaurant?

As far as I am aware, there is no easy way of tracking new commercial activity like that.

Arrakis Jun 10, 2013 7:39 PM

Yeah, all i hear is the rumours and hear-say on here regarding Moxie's. I am sure though once Empire Theatres starts building there will definitely be other restaurants in the area along with Harvey's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs (Post 6159795)

As far as I am aware, there is no easy way of tracking new commercial activity like that.

Marty_Mcfly Jun 10, 2013 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsJustePourDire (Post 6159548)
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!

I can work on my list when I have some free time from work. I've been very neglectful I know :haha:

ThisIsJustePourDire Jun 11, 2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs (Post 6159795)

Actually, my dad works for a company that is working on the Field Power Complex and the one in Glencrest! He is positive that there is a Moxie's coming here.

Also, a new Swiss Chalet will open in the West Side Charlies building in Mount Pearl, WSC is moving right next to Carlson Wagonlit Travel. (There all in the same complex)

ThisIsJustePourDire Jun 11, 2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6159813)
I can work on my list when I have some free time from work. I've been very neglectful I know :haha:

Thanks!

statbass Jun 11, 2013 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsJustePourDire (Post 6160490)
Also, a new Swiss Chalet will open in the West Side Charlies building in Mount Pearl, WSC is moving right next to Carlson Wagonlit Travel. (There all in the same complex)

I believe someone posted previously that Swiss Chalet will be setting up a location in Mount Pearl. Two sources makes it an even stronger possibility.....:cheers:

Arrakis Jun 11, 2013 6:34 PM

Where exactly is West Side Charlies in Mount Pearl?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsJustePourDire (Post 6160490)
Actually, my dad works for a company that is working on the Field Power Complex and the one in Glencrest! He is positive that there is a Moxie's coming here.

BigRedSpecial Jun 11, 2013 11:29 PM

Next to Dominion; in the strip mall between it and Shoppers

Arrakis Jun 12, 2013 6:05 PM

Odd to see a Swiss Chalet go into a tacky strip mall like pearlgate. They usually build stand alone restaurants these days. Though they were in another tacky strip mall on Kenmount Road too before they vacated that place due to rodent infestation. LOL. I thought they would take the old Rogers Video building as that is vacant right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedSpecial (Post 6161233)
Next to Dominion; in the strip mall between it and Shoppers

BigRedSpecial Jun 13, 2013 1:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6162037)
Odd to see a Swiss Chalet go into a tacky strip mall like pearlgate. They usually build stand alone restaurants these days. Though they were in another tacky strip mall on Kenmount Road too before they vacated that place due to rodent infestation. LOL. I thought they would take the old Rogers Video building as that is vacant right now.

I thought the same thing... there is a ton of room in that parking lot to build a standalone though. Or, like you said, they could use the Rogers building. I thought someone had mentioned that previously?

Townie709 Jun 13, 2013 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedSpecial (Post 6162594)
I thought the same thing... there is a ton of room in that parking lot to build a standalone though. Or, like you said, they could use the Rogers building. I thought someone had mentioned that previously?

No, it is going in the old West Side Charlie's building in Mount Pearl.

BigRedSpecial Jun 13, 2013 12:54 PM

Well that places it in the strip mall. lol

PoscStudent Jun 20, 2013 9:19 PM

Anyone go to Junk yet?

jeddy1989 Jun 21, 2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6171758)
Anyone go to Junk yet?

yup! I like it
it's out of my price range but Signal bought a sweater there ;)

PoscStudent Jun 21, 2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 6172033)
yup! I like it
it's out of my price range but Signal bought a sweater there ;)

Hmmm... I may have to pop down there, but I'll probably be too cheap.

JCE Jun 24, 2013 2:16 PM

White Rose Drive is shaping up.
Bulk Barn is open and Dollarama is close to being finished.

http://i.imgur.com/IzX9Hrb.jpg

Golf Town and Le Boudoir are open. And the space in between Wicker Emporium will be opening soon. Construction has started on the foundation work for the remaining store to be attached to Le Boudoir.

http://i.imgur.com/X3CNNrt.jpg

PoscStudent Jun 24, 2013 2:34 PM

I went to Junk, thought it was junk.

Arrakis Jun 27, 2013 2:39 PM

Empire Theatres is selling it's chain to Cineplex in Atlantic Canada. Wonder how this will affect the new cinemas being proposed for Torbay Road?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle12853451/

SignalHillHiker Jun 27, 2013 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6175627)
I went to Junk, thought it was junk.

:haha: I liked it! I bought a sweater. :D

statbass Jun 27, 2013 2:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6179525)
Empire Theatres is selling it's chain to Cineplex in Atlantic Canada. Wonder how this will affect the new cinemas being proposed for Torbay Road?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle12853451/

I was going to post the news here first but decided to put it in the East End thread. I guess we can expect duplication of info.. or in this case triplication. :cheers:

PoscStudent Jun 27, 2013 3:13 PM

Just about to post about Empire Theaters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6179542)
:haha: I liked it! I bought a sweater. :D

Not many clothes there, and I don't think I saw any smalls.

SignalHillHiker Jun 27, 2013 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6179568)

You calling me fat? :haha:

PoscStudent Jun 27, 2013 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6179600)
You calling me fat? :haha:

Nope, I'm saying there were no small sizes for me.

jeddy1989 Jun 27, 2013 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6179568)

I was speaking to the owner and they still don't have ALL of their stock in and are waiting on more shipments

cdotr Jun 29, 2013 4:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6152889)
Does La Senza still have two stores in the mall, I can see them being hurt by Victoria Secret.

Well Victoria's Secret parent company L Brands Inc. owns La Senza and Bath and Body Works. So, it would just be the same kind of situation as Best Buy and Future Shop both being on Stavager Drive a stone's throw from each other and both owned by Best Buy.

Some people prefer one store over the other... even though both carry mostly the same or similar products.

Arrakis Jul 6, 2013 8:27 PM

Target has gotten its signage in place now on Stavanger.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...30818107_o.jpg

statbass Jul 17, 2013 3:53 PM

Bench coming to Avalon Mall

I just noticed this ad on Kijiji. Here's a link to the webpage:

http://stjohns.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-sale...AdIdZ500809311

Chew Jul 17, 2013 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6200953)
I just noticed this ad on Kijiji. Here's a link to the webpage:

http://stjohns.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-sale...AdIdZ500809311

Oh no. The tacky Bench clothes with the word 'Bench' plastered all over them are already at epidemic proportions around town.

statbass Jul 18, 2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chew (Post 6201120)
Oh no. The tacky Bench clothes with the word 'Bench' plastered all over them are already at epidemic proportions around town.

LOL... I hear ya! :haha:

statbass Jul 31, 2013 11:31 AM

A new Walmart supercentre opened up last week in Halifax. I found a story on Walmart's expansion into Atlantic Canada and apparently they're planning to upgrade 9 Walmart stores to supercentres in Atlantic Canada. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be one coming to St. John's which I don't understand... there's definitely a demand here. I'm by no means a die hard Walmart fan but those supercentres have full grocery sections and their prices are very competitive. I guess it's like everything else - we'll get one a couple of years after everyone else has one!!!!!

Here's the list:

Quote:

Fredericton - 125 Two Nations Crossing
Dartmouth - 90 Lamont Terrace
Fredericton - 1399 Regent Street
Bedford/Sackville - 141 Damascus
Dieppe - 477 Paul Street
Halifax - 220 Chain Lake
Saint-John - 450 Westmorland
Halifax - 6990 Mumford Road
Moncton - 25 Plaza Boulevard
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1203...tlantic-canada

Arrakis Aug 10, 2013 4:54 AM

Seems like a lot of more retail space being built on White Rose Drive behind Dominion.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...71798697_n.jpg

Arrakis Aug 10, 2013 4:56 AM

Anyone got any idea what this building is gonna be on Hebron Way in the Field Power Centre just up the road from the new Harvey's?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...13870378_n.jpg

statbass Aug 10, 2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6227657)
Seems like a lot of more retail space being built on White Rose Drive behind Dominion.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...71798697_n.jpg

What are the two stores next to Golftown? As for the building in your other post, I have no idea....:shrug:

Arrakis Aug 10, 2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6227763)
What are the two stores next to Golftown? As for the building in your other post, I have no idea....:shrug:

The two stores next to Golf Town are Wicker Emporium and some Lingerie store.

jeddy1989 Aug 11, 2013 2:49 PM

The Avalon mall has a few store changes as well. Victoria Secret is taking up the whole space from next to La Senza to where the hair salon was (it moved as well as 2 other stores to make room)
Also Bench is opening as mentioned above and the Sony store was replaced by some games and calendar store lol. I haven't walked around much but that's what I noticed on my way to the movies haha

Trevor3 Aug 11, 2013 10:44 PM

I'm in Fredericton for the weekend and spoke with an employee at H&M who mentioned that "we're coming you're way soon" after I said I was from NL. Since everyone automatically assumes you're from St. John's when you say you're from Newfoundland, I believe they will actually be coming your way soon!

SignalHillHiker Aug 11, 2013 10:55 PM

Ooh, awesome, thanks for the news, Trevor! :-)

Townie709 Aug 12, 2013 3:33 PM

They're in Fredericton and not here!?!? Well I should hope they do come soon :haha:

jeddy1989 Aug 12, 2013 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor3 (Post 6228878)
I'm in Fredericton for the weekend and spoke with an employee at H&M who mentioned that "we're coming you're way soon" after I said I was from NL. Since everyone automatically assumes you're from St. John's when you say you're from Newfoundland, I believe they will actually be coming your way soon!

GOOD! it makes ZERO sense that they are not here yet :S :cheers:

Arrakis Aug 30, 2013 3:48 AM

Hey has anyone heard a rumour of a possible retail development on the land that is currently a golf driving range next door to Mamma Soula's on Torbay Road?

J_Murphy Aug 30, 2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6249429)
Hey has anyone heard a rumour of a possible retail development on the land that is currently a golf driving range next door to Mamma Soula's on Torbay Road?

The address of that property is 421 Torbay Road. A quick google search shows that there was a permit issued for "retail store" about a year ago. I haven't heard anything else though. It is a fair size piece of land and I don't see how that mini golf course makes any money.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...011%202012.pdf

Edit: Looks like that permit was for a mobile sign, didn't know that is what the MS stood for...oops.

Arrakis Aug 30, 2013 1:33 PM

Thanks J_Murphy for the info. Appreciate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6249564)
The address of that property is 421 Torbay Road. A quick google search shows that there was a permit issued for "retail store" about a year ago. I haven't heard anything else though. It is a fair size piece of land and I don't see how that mini golf course makes any money.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...011%202012.pdf

Edit: Looks like that permit was for a mobile sign, didn't know that is what the MS stood for...oops.