SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

christopher_chafe Jan 8, 2013 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robg (Post 5964885)
Yes its a Coleman's, one of the managers was telling me it will have a liquorstore and all in it.

That location makes much more sense then their original one they were gonna propose

rwspencer38 Jan 9, 2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5964786)
It's suppose to be the biggest development even proposed for Atlantic Canada I believe.

The entire development is the largest, but not the commercial aspect.

rwspencer38 Jan 9, 2013 12:47 PM

From what I remember there are two commercial areas, with a large one being placed along the Pitts Memorial access and a smaller commercial area along the trans canada access.

J_Murphy Jan 9, 2013 3:24 PM

This city needs more Starbucks locations! I remember going into the one on Stavanger Drive when it opened and was told that many more are going to be popping up in the city soon. Anyone know anything about more potential Starbucks locations? The west end and center city really need one! I've become addicted.

SignalHillHiker Jan 9, 2013 3:28 PM

Chai latte, please. :D

J.A.I.L. Jan 9, 2013 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5965871)
This city needs more Starbucks locations! I remember going into the one on Stavanger Drive when it opened and was told that many more are going to be popping up in the city soon. Anyone know anything about more potential Starbucks locations? The west end and center city really need one! I've become addicted.

my partner used to work for them last year and there are suppose to be one in mount pearl and topsial road opening up in the spring/summer of this year.

J_Murphy Jan 9, 2013 5:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.A.I.L. (Post 5966018)
my partner used to work for them last year and there are suppose to be one in mount pearl and topsial road opening up in the spring/summer of this year.

Awesome...thanks! I was really hoping for one on Topsail Road somewhere.

jeddy1989 Jan 9, 2013 5:04 PM

I hope a few more second cups open up! .. I personally prefer them to starbucks, more different types of drinks than the coffee flavour in most starbucks drinks .. and they make my chai latte perfectly!

statbass Jan 9, 2013 5:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5966027)
I hope a few more second cups open up! .. I personally prefer them to starbucks, more different types of drinks than the coffee flavour in most starbucks drinks .. and they make my chai latte perfectly!

Whatever happened to the Second Cup location that was supposed to go downtown on the corner of Adelaide and Water? Did that fall through afterwards?

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the restaurant thread.... oh well, here's fine, I guess.

jeddy1989 Jan 9, 2013 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5966046)
Whatever happened to the Second Cup location that was supposed to go downtown on the corner of Adelaide and Water? Did that fall through afterwards?

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the restaurant thread.... oh well, here's fine, I guess.

I'd love for it to go downtown! closer to moi ;)

Arrakis Jan 9, 2013 6:07 PM

Yeah i recall walking past that renovated building on Adelaide and Water St. last year and they had an artist rendering of the building in the window with a Second Cup storefront on it. They seem to have totally rebuilt that building from the inside out so should be interesting to see what eventually goes there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5966046)

rwspencer38 Jan 9, 2013 6:09 PM

I would love for that to open up soon as its right next door to my work!

Ayreonaut Jan 9, 2013 8:26 PM

I don't drink coffee, but for Calgary forumer Rusty van Reddick, who visited here last Summer, downtown has no shortage of great coffee. And this guy is the biggest coffee fan you'll find anywhere.

In this blog post he mentions Rocket, Post, and Fixed with very high praise.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 9, 2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5966027)

I don't really like second cup :( I find they always burn the espresso beans and put way too many flavor shots in your drink. Nothing beats a grande triple vanilla latte from starbucks. Except maybe beer.

CitySlicker057 Jan 11, 2013 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher_chafe (Post 5964951)
That location makes much more sense then their original one they were gonna propose

Hoping for Colemans, their stores are great! :) and local.

PoscStudent Jan 11, 2013 3:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut (Post 5966374)
I don't drink coffee, but for Calgary forumer Rusty van Reddick, who visited here last Summer, downtown has no shortage of great coffee. And this guy is the biggest coffee fan you'll find anywhere.

In this blog post he mentions Rocket, Post, and Fixed with very high praise.

I've heard many say that Rocket has the best cappuccino. I've had their cappuccino but it isn't a drink I usually get so I don't have much to compare it too.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 12, 2013 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5968783)
I've heard many say that Rocket has the best cappuccino. I've had their cappuccino but it isn't a drink I usually get so I don't have much to compare it too.

I haven't had a cappuccino down there but they make great lattes. Rocket all around is nothing short of amazing.

PoscStudent Jan 12, 2013 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5970856)
I haven't had a cappuccino down there but they make great lattes. Rocket all around is nothing short of amazing.

With the exception of their prices.

statbass Jan 15, 2013 2:10 PM

I was looking around thescope.ca website and there is some talk about what restaurants will be going up by the new Empire Theatres. An individual by the name of, "Q" (who seems to be a very trusted source) identified that Milestones and another Starbucks and Subway will be setting up shop there. I find it a bit odd that Starbucks (and even Subway for that matter) would set up there given there are other locations nearby. Come to think of it, there are two Starbucks locations very close to each other on Kenmount... hmmm, interesting!

jeddy1989 Jan 15, 2013 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5973737)
I was looking around thescope.ca website and there is some talk about what restaurants will be going up by the new Empire Theatres. An individual by the name of, "Q" (who seems to be a very trusted source) identified that Milestones and another Starbucks and Subway will be setting up shop there. I find it a bit odd that Starbucks (and even Subway for that matter) would set up there given there are other locations nearby. Come to think of it, there are two Starbucks locations very close to each other on Kenmount... hmmm, interesting!

There are many Tim Hortons locations that are located very close to each other .. also those starbucks you mentioned .. and Two Subways on Water street, so it's not impossible, although I would love to see more variety

J_Murphy Jan 15, 2013 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5973737)

I think milestones was already known. I don't think another Starbucks down there is necessary. However another subway might do good. That one on Aberdeen/Stavanger does get extremely busy during lunch time.

Arrakis Jan 15, 2013 3:54 PM

Starbucks will also be inside of Target too from what I hear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5973741)
There are many Tim Hortons locations that are located very close to each other .. also those starbucks you mentioned .. and Two Subways on Water street, so it's not impossible, although I would love to see more variety

J_Murphy Jan 15, 2013 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5973855)
Starbucks will also be inside of Target too from what I hear.

That makes sense. The Targets I have been to in the states have Starbucks in them. If that is true, and the rumour of the one in Field Power Centre, that will total three in that small area. Even as a big Starbucks fan, I must admit that is too many for that area.

edit: http://business.financialpost.com/20...t-tim-hortons/

Apparently, they will be in "most" Target Canada stores.

statbass Jan 15, 2013 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5973919)
That makes sense. The Targets I have been to in the states have Starbucks in them. If that is true, and the rumour of the one in Field Power Centre, that will total three in that small area. Even as a big Starbucks fan, I must admit that is too many for that area.

edit: http://business.financialpost.com/20...t-tim-hortons/

Apparently, they will be in "most" Target Canada stores.

As per usual, we'll just have to wait and see.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 15, 2013 9:48 PM

I'm sure all those starbucks locations will do fine as well. There's a starbucks every 2-3 blocks in Manhattan and they're all bustling. Of course there's a size difference between Manhattan and Stavanger but even the large number of Tim Hortons locations within town do well.

MrChills Jan 16, 2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5974419)
I'm sure all those starbucks locations will do fine as well. There's a starbucks every 2-3 blocks in Manhattan and they're all bustling. Of course there's a size difference between Manhattan and Stavanger but even the large number of Tim Hortons locations within town do well.

I agree - Starbucks will do well. With that said, anything is better than Tim Hortons, I really don't understand how that place is so popular.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 16, 2013 1:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChills (Post 5974696)
I agree - Starbucks will do well. With that said, anything is better than Tim Hortons, I really don't understand how that place is so popular.

People like to think it's good because people tell them good.

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 11:55 AM

Looks like the liquor store has reopened downtown!
#3 queen street at the end of George street. in Danny's new/old building that he bought.

Should be interesting to see how that makes out at the end of night on George Street!

SignalHillHiker Jan 16, 2013 12:00 PM

:haha: Excellent news! If only for the entertainment value.

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 12:01 PM

indeed!

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 12:02 PM

at least it will clean up that area a little bit! i used to live in one of the buildings next to it! so nice to see some new life coming down there finally

SignalHillHiker Jan 16, 2013 12:05 PM

I completely agree. We've basically got an empty Downtown West End to work with. There's very little of value there - only our new office towers and that little row of heritage buildings that includes the Newman Wine Vaults. Just about everything else could use a major redevelopment.

J_Murphy Jan 16, 2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChills (Post 5974696)

Agreed. Irving has better coffee than Tim Hortons.

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 12:13 PM

i agree i live in the west end of downtown and love it! Wouldn't change the area i live in just wish instead of driving from my home i see parking lots and empty gas stations!

SignalHillHiker Jan 16, 2013 12:17 PM

Me too, now! I'm on Prince of Wales Street. :)

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 12:24 PM

warbury here i used to live on Franklin just off prince of whales but i must say i love my street now heart of downtown pretty much which that around the bay feel! (big back yard)

SignalHillHiker Jan 16, 2013 12:27 PM

I know. I told my landlord, I said, "Now, I'm not moving in until you cleans up this neighbourhood and gets J.A.I.L. down out of it..." :D

But, seriously, very cool. I love this part of the city as well.

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 12:30 PM

HAHAHAHA
funny good thing i moved out of that area 7 years agao hahaha!
imagine what it would be like now had i stayed hahaha!

jeddy1989 Jan 16, 2013 12:53 PM

ok so this post kind of blends the lines between the restaurant thread and retail and west end so I'm just going to post it here

I noticed on Kelsey drive this morning that they are hard at work on the new buildings, the TD bank is all shelled in and the frames are up for the Royal retail style bank and the Swiss Chalet, two notes:
They are not connected
also the entrences are facing staples and Dollarama so it's a nice infill and beter pedestrian experience :) :tup:

Arrakis Jan 16, 2013 3:45 PM

Would be kinda nice if there were a row of buildings (not necessarily high-rises) along Water Street next to the Train Station Museum so we don't have to see that big old dockyard parking lot. Oceanex recently redeveloped the parking lot so the likelihood of seeing some nice buildings on that part of Water Street is probably slim. Be nice to see the old Irving and Esso station properties get redeveloped too. I heard once that once a gas station closes, the property cannot be redeveloped for 10 years or so. I think it's too let whatever residual pollution that is the ground to naturally fade away or something like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.A.I.L. (Post 5975310)
i agree i live in the west end of downtown and love it! Wouldn't change the area i live in just wish instead of driving from my home i see parking lots and empty gas stations!

Arrakis Jan 17, 2013 2:47 AM

Hey just noticed that the JUMP + store for Avalon Mall is listed under the building permits on page 29 of the city council permits.

http://stjohns.ca/sites/default/file...207%202013.pdf

mwd Jan 18, 2013 1:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5976456)
Hey just noticed that the JUMP + store for Avalon Mall is listed under the building permits on page 29 of the city council permits.

http://stjohns.ca/sites/default/file...207%202013.pdf

just checked their site it's says spring 2013. i need a new ipad now lol

jeddy1989 Jan 23, 2013 2:13 PM

Apparently Forever 21 is opening in Halifax, Maybe we will be soon after?
I know many people who would never go anywhere to shop again if we get one of them and a H&M hahaha

SignalHillHiker Jan 23, 2013 2:25 PM

I think that store just opened in Winnipeg when I was there. It's basically the same as Urban Planet - cheap as ****.

IronMan Jan 25, 2013 9:04 PM

I notice that Greco Pizza is returning to the city. They are opening a store in part of the former Blockbuster Video location on Torbay Road. Apparently the last ones closed due to poor financial management - but that is just a rumour.
Also, I noticed that the Subway on Stavanger Drive is closed. Does anyone know what is up with that? I thought they were doing well there???

Townie709 Jan 25, 2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 5987886)
I notice that Greco Pizza is returning to the city. They are opening a store in part of the former Blockbuster Video location on Torbay Road. Apparently the last ones closed due to poor financial management - but that is just a rumour.
Also, I noticed that the Subway on Stavanger Drive is closed. Does anyone know what is up with that? I thought they were doing well there???

The stevanger drive subway is closed?? Weird. My guess is its only a temporary closure. I was there like last week and it seemed pretty busy. I think that subway gets a lot of business from people on lunch breaks in the area, but I'm no expert.

SparkDT Jan 26, 2013 3:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5988013)
The stevanger drive subway is closed?? Weird. My guess is its only a temporary closure. I was there like last week and it seemed pretty busy. I think that subway gets a lot of business from people on lunch breaks in the area, but I'm no expert.

They're just closed for renovations.

statbass Jan 26, 2013 5:38 PM

Does anyone have info on what might be going into the old Sony Store location? Come to think of it, is it actually closed yet? I haven't been to the Avalon Mall in a while.

Arrakis Jan 27, 2013 4:36 PM

Havent heard of anything that is going in the Sony Store space though it would be a great location for JUMP+ store that is supposed to come to the mall soon. The Sony Store was still open last weekend when I was walking by but it was really getting cleaned out so I would say it will likely be gone pretty soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5988778)
Does anyone have info on what might be going into the old Sony Store location? Come to think of it, is it actually closed yet? I haven't been to the Avalon Mall in a while.

Arrakis Jan 27, 2013 4:39 PM

I noticed that the old TV Showcase store at Avalon Mall is now under construction so something is going there soon. Maybe that's where JUMP+ is going?