SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

statbass Sep 2, 2012 12:10 PM

If shopping malls are dying, why can't I get a parking space?

An interesting article about retail shopping in St. John's

Source: CBC, Sept 2, 2012

Quote:

On Tuesday morning, I made a coffee run and — perhaps because of the caffeine — gained a little insight into the retail scene in St. John's.

I had headed out for Starbucks on Kenmount Road, to pick up a latte and a few coffees for coworkers. The drive back took a little longer than I would have liked; even though it was a Tuesday morning, circling around the Avalon Mall was a slow-motion conga line of cars.

While inching along, I noticed the long queues of vehicles hoping to take a turn into the lots off O'Leary and then Thorburn, and how all the spaces seemed to be filling up.

And it struck me: if shopping malls are dying, why are the parking lots at the Avalon Mall so often packed? I'm exaggerating in the headline about not being able to find a space, but I've more than once had to drive around to find one, even outside of the mayhem that is the Christmas shopping season.

In the last few months, I've read one news article after another that have used words like "dinosaur," "dying," "dwindling" and "moribund" to describe that all-too-familiar component of modern life, the shopping centre. Granted, most of the headlines are coming from the U.S., where the retail industry has been in more of a tailspin than in Canada.

Yet it is assumed in the business press that the very idea of the enclosed shopping centre has been in decline for years, and is ready to expire.

When the research company Green Street Advisors produced the sobering prediction that as many as 10 per cent of the 1,000 or so malls in the U.S. would disappear in the next decade (many of them to be bulldozed), the industry responded by saying the call was too conservative.....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...malls-902.html

statbass Sep 13, 2012 12:22 AM

I was driving by Boston Pizza on Aberdeen this evening and noticed all the lights were off and the parking lot was empty. For the life of me I can't see this location closing, it's a prime spot and always packed every time I drive past. Come to think of it, it could be closed due to Leslie-related damage. There is a hotel going up behind it, probably debris from the construction site damaged the building???? I'm by no means a huge Boston Pizza fan; the food is okay - just as good as any other family-style chain restaurant. Just wondering if anyone has any info on this.... :cheers:

bellerophon Sep 13, 2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5829413)
I was driving by Boston Pizza on Aberdeen this evening and noticed all the lights were off and the parking lot was empty. For the life of me I can't see this location closing, it's a prime spot and always packed every time I drive past. Come to think of it, it could be closed due to Leslie-related damage. There is a hotel going up behind it, probably debris from the construction site damaged the building???? I'm by no means a huge Boston Pizza fan; the food is okay - just as good as any other family-style chain restaurant. Just wondering if anyone has any info on this.... :cheers:

I am pretty sure there was no power there (due to the storm) when you drove by, and that's why they were closed. Half of the east end had no power. Haven't heard of them closing, and I doubt they will..

Arrakis Sep 26, 2012 4:54 PM

Just read in the City of St. John's minutes that Swiss Chalet and RBC are going up on Kelsey Drive. I heard they will be built on the property currently a gravel lot in front of Staples. Also heard that TD Bank is going in front of Mark's on Kelsey also.

Townie709 Sep 26, 2012 7:47 PM

I believe some said they heard exactly that before but now that the city confirm it, its concrete! thanks! :tup:

statbass Sep 26, 2012 9:51 PM

I drove past the old Zellers location on Hamlyn Rd today and noticed the building now has a Walmart facade and colors, but no sign yet. Seems like they're making fairly quick turn around work.

Townie709 Sep 26, 2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5845941)
I drove past the old Zellers location on Hamlyn Rd today and noticed the building now has a Walmart facade and colors, but no sign yet. Seems like they're making fairly quick turn around work.

I also noticed that too while driving. When is that supposed to open?

rthomasd Sep 27, 2012 1:01 AM

October.

statbass Sep 27, 2012 4:41 PM

I was up around Stavanger lunchtime today and decided to take a drive on White Rose Dr. (Harvey Power Centre). There's a large lot of land directly behind the Dominion on Stavanger that's cleared off and surveyed; it looks as if it's being prepped for construction of units. The site is very active with construction workers. Since the last time I was up there a two unit building has been constructed which houses an orthodontist clinic and it looks as if something else will be going into the other unit very soon.

Arrakis Sep 27, 2012 6:40 PM

Dollarama, The Gap, Stokes, and a Golf store were scheduled to directly behind Dominion on White Rose Drive based on previous posts that I have seen on here.

statbass Sep 28, 2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5846929)
Dollarama, The Gap, Stokes, and a Golf store were scheduled to directly behind Dominion on White Rose Drive based on previous posts that I have seen on here.

The last time I checked that's what was scheduled to go there, but that's always subject to change.

Townie709 Sep 28, 2012 2:30 AM

Did you see anything of significance happening at the Field Power Center? (Like empire theatres)

Last I saw, it was a paved road through a field with no building construction started. I imagine it is the same now but, you never know!

statbass Sep 28, 2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5847551)
Did you see anything of significance happening at the Field Power Center? (Like empire theatres)

Last I saw, it was a paved road through a field with no building construction started. I imagine it is the same now but, you never know!

There was activity going on at the Field Power centre as well. The land where Empire Theatres will be going has been prepped but no signs of any structure yet.

statbass Sep 29, 2012 3:51 PM

Perusing the city council minutes I noticed council approved a restaurant for 10 Hebron Way. I believe this is one of the streets in the Field Power Centre. Methinks this could possibly be Kelsey's or Milestones... again, only time will tell.

rthomasd Sep 29, 2012 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5846046)
I also noticed that too while driving. When is that supposed to open?

The Topsail Road Walmart opening has been delayed by three weeks and now looks to be
into November.

IronMan Sep 29, 2012 7:20 PM

Did anyone hear what they are building next to the Buck or Two on Aberdene Avenue - on the Wal-Mart parking lot?

statbass Sep 29, 2012 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 5849395)
Did anyone hear what they are building next to the Buck or Two on Aberdene Avenue - on the Wal-Mart parking lot?

Don't quote me on this but I think a TD bank is going in that location. I know there are plans to put one up there but I'm not sure if it's this location or where the Penny pre-owned dealership used to be.

Townie709 Sep 29, 2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5849431)
Don't quote me on this but I think a TD bank is going in that location. I know there are plans to put one up there but I'm not sure if it's this location or where the Penny pre-owned dealership used to be.

I'm fairly certain that the TD bank is going on the former penny pre-owned site. Not sure what's going up in the Wal-mart marking lot though

rthomasd Oct 1, 2012 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5845517)
Just read in the City of St. John's minutes that Swiss Chalet and RBC are going up on Kelsey Drive. I heard they will be built on the property currently a gravel lot in front of Staples. Also heard that TD Bank is going in front of Mark's on Kelsey also.

Not much progress yet, working on the sewer lines. Here's a picture from yesterday.
Interesting how they write the site name on the sewer pipes along with the date. I wonder what "tub" is ?
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0d4782fc.jpg
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2fc394d2.jpg
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...psd9cc1426.jpg

Townie709 Oct 1, 2012 9:28 PM

Nice to see the Swiss chalet started! I would always go to the kenmount road Swiss chalet, but driving to the cramped stevanger drive location is a pain.

Nice to see ground finally broken at the site, thanks for the update!