SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

rthomasd Apr 16, 2015 10:46 PM

Bank of Montreal perhaps? City approved a bank for that area, but I thought it was going into the Village.

The relocated Smith's Home Hardware should be opening in a few weeks at the Village. I wonder what's going into their old lot.

Arrakis Apr 17, 2015 1:01 AM

I would guess it's a new bank of Montreal. All the banks have been updating recently with drive- throughs. Leaves a sizeable space in the mall if that is the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 6993439)
Bank of Montreal perhaps? City approved a bank for that area, but I thought it was going into the Village.

The relocated Smith's Home Hardware should be opening in a few weeks at the Village. I wonder what's going into their old lot.

SignalHillHiker Apr 17, 2015 12:28 PM

I think the Village only still exists because the Avalon has such annoying parking. I think the only times I go there are when I can't be arsed to find a spot at the Avalon.

J_Murphy Apr 17, 2015 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6993897)
I think the Village only still exists because the Avalon has such annoying parking. I think the only times I go there are when I can't be arsed to find a spot at the Avalon.

I usually only go there to go to Sportchek, maybe twice a year.

SignalHillHiker Apr 17, 2015 1:59 PM

American Eagle sale rack here lol. I don't think it's in there any more.

jthetzel Apr 17, 2015 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6993558)
I would guess it's a new bank of Montreal..

Must be Bank of Montreal. Development permit approved at Monday's City Council meeting ( http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%2C%202015.pdf ). Excavators on-site three days later. Moving quickly.

SignalHillHiker Apr 17, 2015 3:14 PM

Not great. Especially with a drive-through. But I am glad to see the parking lots reduced.

Arrakis Apr 23, 2015 11:58 AM

Noticed in the news that Hudson's Bay Co. has expressed interest in some of the vacated Target locations. I wonder if they ever consider coming to Newfoundland? Would be nice.

Arrakis Apr 29, 2015 12:53 AM

Was at Avalon Mall the other day and noticed that construction is goin on at the former Eddie Baur store. Hopefully it's not another lingerie store.

Arrakis May 3, 2015 1:19 PM

FYI. The new Home Hardware Store in the Village Mall is now opened. It's more spacious than I thought it would be. Weird seeing that part of the Village parking lot filled with cars again.

Horsell May 11, 2015 2:54 PM

Lowes has bought 13 former Target stores in Canada, I wonder if ours is one of them. I don't know how many home improvement stores we can support but it never hurts to have another option and further competition.

Arrakis May 11, 2015 3:36 PM

Was wondering that too if Lowes would build right next door to Kent and with Rona just down the road. Rather see it become a Hudsons Bay as they have expressed interest in some of the Target locations too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsell (Post 7023074)
Lowes has bought 13 former Target stores in Canada, I wonder if ours is one of them. I don't know how many home improvement stores we can support but it never hurts to have another option and further competition.

J_Murphy May 11, 2015 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7023117)
Was wondering that too if Lowes would build right next door to Kent and with Rona just down the road. Rather see it become a Hudsons Bay as they have expressed interest in some of the Target locations too.

Considering Lowes Canada only exists in 4 provinces, (AB, ON, BC and SK), in seemingly highly populated areas, I doubt they will move into NL. I guess it's possible but I would be surprised, especially given the high number of home improvement/hardware stores we already have in the City.

On another note, I read that Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire are also buying up old Target stores. Again, another unlikely scenario for that location.

Arrakis May 11, 2015 6:37 PM

Though Lowes did say in the news article they were looking at locations to expand where they didn't already have stores so you never know.

From the press release...Although declining to list the specific locations until the deal officially goes through, Lowe's said it will be opening new stores in markets where it is currently "under-penetrated" since opening up shop in Canada in 2007.

Its prob too small for a Walmart super centre and Canadian Tire prob would have grabbed it up if they hadn't built that new store on Hebron Way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7023305)
Considering Lowes Canada only exists in 4 provinces, (AB, ON, BC and SK), in seemingly highly populated areas, I doubt they will move into NL. I guess it's possible but I would be surprised, especially given the high number of home improvement/hardware stores we already have in the City.

On another note, I read that Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire are also buying up old Target stores. Again, another unlikely scenario for that location.

rthomasd May 12, 2015 2:33 AM

New business approved by the city on Peet Street - Marijuana for Trauma !

Horsell May 12, 2015 11:46 AM

The City is really grasping for any good economic news...lol. Probably just another small business that will go up in smoke.

Marty_Mcfly May 12, 2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsell (Post 7024257)
The City is really grasping for any good economic news...lol. Probably just another small business that will go up in smoke.

hehehe

PoscStudent May 13, 2015 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 7024042)
New business approved by the city on Peet Street - Marijuana for Trauma !

It was featured on the news tonight. Has been open a few weeks.

rthomasd May 13, 2015 6:35 PM

London Ont announced as the first of the new IKEA Drop-in stores, opening late fall. Several other locations to be announced Thursday. If we can't have a full store in St. John's, this would be a start. Here's hoping.

KAO79 May 13, 2015 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7007745)
Was at Avalon Mall the other day and noticed that construction is goin on at the former Eddie Baur store. Hopefully it's not another lingerie store.

The location formerly taken by Eddie Bauer, will soon be a Boathouse. It is opening mid-August 2015.

http://www.boathousestores.com/