SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Marty_Mcfly Apr 20, 2012 2:59 AM

[St. John's] Retail Thread

Since there seems to be a lot of discussion about retail projects in some of the development threads, it probably warrants a thread of its own. Feel free to discuss power center development, mall developments, or retail in the downtown area.

Retail Map

http://i45.tinypic.com/352pz0n.png
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=2...65677,0.169086

Downtown

Completed/Open
Smoke's Poutinerie (165 Water Street)
Relish Gourmet Burgers (11 Waldegrave Street)
Happy Humus Hut (208 Duckworth Street)
Legros and Motti (127 Harbour Drive)
Jack Astors (125 Harbour Drive)
The Club (223 Duckworth Street)
The Works (36 George Street)

Opening Soon

Boston Pizza (367 Water Street)

Stavanger Drive Power Center

Completed/Open

Montana's Steakhouse (13 Stavanger Drive)
Target (24 Stavanger Drive)
Kent Building Supplies (10 Stavanger Drive)
Costco (28 Stavanger Drive)
Best Buy (3 Stavanger Drive)
Starbucks Coffee (2 Stavanger Drive)
Starbucks Coffee (24 Stavanger Drive)
Second Cup Coffee (9 Stavanger Drive)
Tim Hortons Coffee (25 Aberdeen Avenue)
Wal-Mart (90 Aberdeen Avenue)
Winners (60 Aberdeen Avenue)
Future Shop (20 Stavanger Drive)
Old Navy (22 Stavanger Drive)
McDonalds Restaurant (14 Stavanger Drive)
McDonalds Restaurant (90 Aberdeen Avenue)
Boston Pizza (415 Stavanger Drive)
Princess Auto (410 Stavanger Drive)
La-Z-Boy Furniture (50 Aberdeen Avenue)
Dominion Groceries (55 Stavanger Drive)
Staples (34 Stavanger Drive)
Harvey's Restaurant (699 Torbay Road)
Swiss Chalet (70 Aberdeen Avenue)
Subway Restaurant (95 Stavanger Drive)
KFC Restaurant (2 Stavanger Drive)
Sun Sushi (16 Stavanger Drive)
RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) (40 Aberdeen Avenue)

Opening Soon

Cineplex 8-screen Theatre
Milestones Restaurant
Canadian Tire
Starbucks Coffee

Kelsey Drive Power Center

Completed/Open

Kent Contractor Supplies (10 Messenger Drive)
Swiss Chalet (75 Kelsey Drive)
Royal Bank of Canada Branch (61 Kelsey Drive)
TD Bank Branch (30 Kelsey Drive)
Subway Restaurant (9 Kelsey Drive)
Sobeys Groceries (45 Kelsey Drive)
Wal Mart (75 Kelsey Drive)
The Home Depot (70 Kelsey Drive)
Canadian Tire (50 Kelsey Drive)
Staples (65 Kelsey Drive)
McDonalds Restaurant (75 Kelsey Drive)

Kenmount

Completed/Open

Wingin' It (394 Kenmount Road)
Menchie's Frozen Yogurt (191 Kenmount Road)
Chapters (70 Kenmount Road)
Starbucks Coffee (191 Kenmount Road)
Starbucks Coffee (70 Kenmount Road)
Value Village (161 Kenmount Road)
Tim Hortons Coffee (275 Kenmount Road)
Tim Hortons Coffee (92 Thorburn Road)
Tim Hortons Coffee (151 Kenmount Road)
Tim Hortons Coffee (460 Kenmount Road)
Toys 'R Us (58 Kenmount Road)
Quiznos Subs (58 Kenmount Road)
McDonalds Restaurant (54 Kenmount Road)
A&W Restaurant (68 Kenmount Road)
Salvation Army Thrift Store (51 Kenmount Road)
Wendy's Restaurant (35 Kenmount Road)

The Avalon Mall
-Approximately 140 retail stores & restaurants
-Major Anchors: Sears, Winners, The Gap, Cineplex
-Cineplex Studio 12
-Notable Stores: Jump+, Victoria's Secret, American Eagle
-Coming Soon: Starbucks Coffee

West End (Topsail Road, Hamlyn Road, Waterford Valley)

Now Open/Completed
Wal Mart (470 Topsail Road)
Wendy's Restaurant (430 Topsail Road)
McDonalds Restaurant (506 Topsail Road)
Burger King Restaurant (520 Topsail Road)

The Village Shopping Center
-Major Anchors: Bed, Bath & Beyond, Labels, Rossy, Dollarama, Goodlife Fitness
-Notable Anchors: Coles

PoscStudent Apr 20, 2012 12:10 PM

Coffee Matters looks to be closed and there's a poutine restaurant opening on Water Street.

Marty_Mcfly Apr 20, 2012 1:47 PM

Coffee Matters is still open, I know someone who was there last night actually. The Poutine shop is called Smokey's Poutinerie, and it's a part of an Atlantic Canadian chain I believe. Do you know the address of their store? I think it's going to be on Duckworth street?

A specialty burger shop is also opening downtown this summer. Also a chain, Relish will be located in the abandoned building currently sitting on the corner of Water, Waldegrave, Harbour drive, and George Street W. (the building right next to the Ultramar gas station).

Trevor3 Apr 20, 2012 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5673379)
Coffee Matters is still open, I know someone who was there last night actually. The Poutine shop is called Smokey's Poutinerie, and it's a part of an Atlantic Canadian chain I believe. Do you know the address of their store? I think it's going to be on Duckworth street?

A specialty burger shop is also opening downtown this summer. Also a chain, Relish will be located in the abandoned building currently sitting on the corner of Water, Waldegrave, Harbour drive, and George Street W. (the building right next to the Ultramar gas station).

I walked Water Street last night and I can tell you that it's definitely on Water. I actually remember commenting on it and saying I didn't think it was possible for a specialty restaurant to survive on poutines. I know for certain i was on the east end of water towards Job's Cove/Baird's Cove. I'm trying to use Google Streetview to remember which building it was, but I'm drawing a blank on it.

J_Murphy Apr 20, 2012 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor3 (Post 5673446)
I walked Water Street last night and I can tell you that it's definitely on Water. I actually remember commenting on it and saying I didn't think it was possible for a specialty restaurant to survive on poutines. I know for certain i was on the east end of water towards Job's Cove/Baird's Cove. I'm trying to use Google Streetview to remember which building it was, but I'm drawing a blank on it.

It will be on the south side of Water Street around where the Asian Variety store used to be by that little alley that leads down to the parking lot off Harbour Dr.

PoscStudent Apr 20, 2012 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5673379)

There was paper over all the windows of Coffee Matters the other day when I went by, I figured they closed.

Smokey's Poutine is going on Water Street near the Fortis Building.

Ayreonaut Apr 20, 2012 4:25 PM

Looks like I'll have plenty to try when I get back in August.

statbass Apr 20, 2012 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5673535)
There was paper over all the windows of Coffee Matters the other day when I went by, I figured they closed.

Smoke's Poutinerie is an Ontario-based poutine chain. They've just recently expanded to Atlantic Canada, I believe one opened in Halifax back in the fall. Here is a link to their website:

http://smokespoutinerie.com/

The burger place opening up on Waldegrave is called Relish Burger. I'm a huge fan of burgers so I can't wait for this place to open! Check out their website:

http://www.relishyou.ca

Marty_Mcfly Apr 20, 2012 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5673535)

That's weird. Is that the location up by the Sheraton?

statbass Apr 20, 2012 6:28 PM

I noticed that the space behind Starbucks on Kenmount Rd. will be a Menchie's Frozen Yogurt store, a sign was posted in the window.

Marty_Mcfly Apr 20, 2012 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5673702)
I noticed that the space behind Starbucks on Kenmount Rd. will be a Menchie's Frozen Yogurt store, a sign was posted in the window.

I noticed this. Upon looking in to the franchise a little further, it appears this store will be the only location east of Toronto for this chain.

PoscStudent Apr 20, 2012 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5673702)

Brad Gushue is opening it.

PoscStudent Apr 20, 2012 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5673633)
That's weird. Is that the location up by the Sheraton?

Next to Free Ride.

Ayreonaut Apr 20, 2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5673571)
Smoke's Poutinerie is an Ontario-based poutine chain. They've just recently expanded to Atlantic Canada, I believe one opened in Halifax back in the fall. Here is a link to their website:

http://smokespoutinerie.com/

Nice to see they'll use real curds (of course they will, being that it's what they do). I can't believe how many places here just shred some cheddar onto fries and gravy and call it poutine (Ches's, for instance). Really, even KFC uses curds!

Quote:

The burger place opening up on Waldegrave is called Relish Burger. I'm a huge fan of burgers so I can't wait for this place to open! Check out their website:

http://www.relishyou.ca
Looking forward to this one. Fog City is alright, but it'll be nice to have a true top-notch burger joint in town.

PoscStudent Apr 20, 2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut (Post 5674038)
Nice to see they'll use real curds (of course they will, being that it's what they do). I can't believe how many places here just shred some cheddar onto fries and gravy and call it poutine (Ches's, for instance). Really, even KFC uses curds!

I prefer shredded cheese.

Some of those poutines look a bit over the top, I cannot wait to try them. There's very few fast food restaurants downtow.

Marty_Mcfly Apr 21, 2012 12:45 PM

I'm all about poutine, especially REAL poutine. Enough of this shredded cheese mess, give me cheese curds and make me happy!

J_Murphy Apr 27, 2012 5:51 PM

The Zellers that is closing on Topsail Road next to the village will reportedly become a Wal-Mart express.

Marty_Mcfly Apr 27, 2012 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5681573)
The Zellers that is closing on Topsail Road next to the village will reportedly become a Wal-Mart express.

Really? I was under the impression that all Zellers locations would be converted in to Target stores.

EDIT: Looks like Target sold their Topsail road location to Wal-Mart, interesting.

techie Apr 27, 2012 9:25 PM

89,000 square feet of Walmart. That's a lot of space for an "express".

J_Murphy Apr 28, 2012 2:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5681606)
Really? I was under the impression that all Zellers locations would be converted in to Target stores.

EDIT: Looks like Target sold their Topsail road location to Wal-Mart, interesting.

Not sure if it will be an "express" store, but this seems to confirm that it will be a walmart:
http://interstratics.com/targetcanad...uisitions.html

The Zellers on Stavanger will be a Target. I guess walmart is stepping up their presence to compete with Target. Funny considering they moved their old store in the village a few years ago which was across the street.