SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Downtown & City of Portland (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Albina Vision / Rose Quarter Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152548)

innovativethinking Aug 29, 2015 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58rhodes (Post 7146961)
so Portland sucks??--move to Seattle

No. Portland sucks just on this particular issue. Other than that it's great! ;)

58rhodes Aug 29, 2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by innovativethinking (Post 7146999)
No. Portland sucks just on this particular issue. Other than that it's great! ;)

Glad to hear that but the Coliseum is going to be around for some time :haha:

mhays Aug 30, 2015 5:53 AM

Someone said homes wouldn't go there. I don't know if the zoning allows housing, but if not it would be easy to change. Whether homes would do well in that location is a subjective question. But at minimum, land for affordable housing at a decent price is hard to come by. You could fit a ton of apartments there.

Commercial land is also a hot commodity in Portland. This site would be highly desired.

If you want to argue that this thing is worth saving (a mystery to me), that's separate from whether the land is worth something without it. That is has a lot of land value isn't debatable...land is worth a lot in Portland.

maccoinnich Aug 30, 2015 7:06 AM

There are plenty of places the City could build affordable housing before we need to talk about demolishing National Register listed buildings. In that neighborhood alone the City owns:
  • The half block at MLK / Holladay
  • The Inn at the Convention Center, which the PDC only bought with the intention to demolish
  • The temporary plaza at MLK & Pacific
  • The car parks serving the Moda Center / VMC
  • A portion of the surface car park in front of the Crowne Plaza

Additionally Metro owns land NE MLK / Lloyd Blvd, south of the Convention Center.

innovativethinking Aug 30, 2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58rhodes (Post 7147052)
Glad to hear that but the Coliseum is going to be around for some time :haha:

Nah I doubt it

65MAX Aug 30, 2015 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes
Glad to hear that but the Coliseum is going to be around for some time

Quote:

Originally Posted by innovativethinking (Post 7147366)
Nah I doubt it

You can "doubt it" all you want, but obviously you don't understand how the National Register works. And as mac says, there is a TON of vacant and underutilized land in that immediate area that is available for providing much needed housing and commercial development. There's even a plan for developing an entire mixed use neighborhood around the MC and Moda Center that has yet to be realized. It'll take a good 20 years at least before that land is filled in, and by then, a suitable use for the MC will have surfaced and it will remain right where it is.

So your (disturbingly violent) dreams of blowing up the MC with dynamite are, thankfully, only in your head.

Oh, and blowing up a GLASS building with dynamite.... incredibly stupid.

65MAX Aug 30, 2015 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona
apparently, I am talking to a wall. "green"? the greenest building are those that are already standing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 (Post 7146954)
Not if they waste energy to the extent that Memorial Coliseum does.

You think those Old Town buildings were energy efficient when they were built? Of course not, but they're still worth saving. It's easy enough to make ANY building energy efficient. Hell, you can even sheath the entire SE and SW facades and the roof of the MC in transparent photovoltaic panels. It could produce its own electricity.

Just because a building may not be currently energy efficient is not a reason to tear it down.

58rhodes Aug 30, 2015 2:42 PM

There's is lots and lots of land that is underutilized near there and all over town. the north part of the LLoyd district is still mostly parking lot.
To me the MMC is a part of Portlands charm.

58rhodes Aug 30, 2015 2:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65MAX (Post 7147387)
Quote:
apparently, I am talking to a wall. "green"? the greenest building are those that are already standing.

You think those Old Town buildings were energy efficient when they were built? Of course not, but they're still worth saving. It's easy enough to make ANY building energy efficient. Hell, you can even sheath the entire SE and SW facades and the roof of the MC in transparent photovoltaic panels. It could produce its own electricity.

Just because a building may not be currently energy efficient is not a reason to tear it down.

Bravo!!

babs Aug 30, 2015 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65MAX (Post 7147387)
Quote:

To truly make the MC energy efficient, all that glass would likely need to be double pane. That can't be cheap.

58rhodes Aug 30, 2015 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babs (Post 7147532)
To truly make the MC energy efficient, all that glass would likely need to be double pane. That can't be cheap.

running the city of Portland isnt cheap --and it isnt efficient either --welcome to the world-- leave the coliseum we have bigger fish to fry

zilfondel Aug 30, 2015 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by innovativethinking (Post 7146848)
Any other major city in America would have long ago blown the thing up.

Any other city would have solved this with sticks of dynamite long time ago.

And this is a good thing...?

Quote:

Then what are we to do about the past? Sacrifice it to the conventional wisdom of amiable evasion and commercial viability? Bow to the inevitability of destruction and loss? Continue to exploit and distort it, turning it into a crude caricature and crowd-pleaser while pointing piously to what we have "saved?"
-excerpt from The Unreal America

65MAX Aug 30, 2015 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babs (Post 7147532)

You know what else isn't cheap.... seismically upgrading all those unreinforces masonry buildings built in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. Again, not a reason to demolish them. In most cases, it's almost always cheaper to renovate and upgrade a building than to knock it down and build new.

65MAX Aug 30, 2015 7:55 PM

Also, I find it incredibly amusing that some of the same people who want to tear down the MC are also in love, love, love with the new Apple store downtown. They don't even realize that the MC was the precursor that made buildings like that possible. Ah, the hypocrisy.

urbanlife Aug 30, 2015 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65MAX (Post 7147703)
Also, I find it incredibly amusing that some of the same people who want to tear down the MC are also in love, love, love with the new Apple store downtown. They don't even realize that the MC was the precursor that made buildings like that possible. Ah, the hypocrisy.

I think the new Apple store is a waste of a half block in the middle of downtown. The thing with MC is what is the point of it? Even our minor league hockey team plays a good portion of their games in the Moda Center.

I would like to see the building have a good new use for it that doesn't require changing the bowl in the glass box look of it. Unfortunately we have yet to see any good uses for this building.

Derek Aug 30, 2015 9:05 PM

It's a waste of a half block yet it's arguably one of the most active half blocks in Portland? Come on, give me a break. That street was completely dead before that store came along.

urbanlife Aug 30, 2015 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 7147764)
It's a waste of a half block yet it's arguably one of the most active half blocks in Portland? Come on, give me a break. That street was completely dead before that store came along.

Because it is the Apple store. A 20 story building with the Apple store on the first floor would have been just as active.

Derek Aug 30, 2015 9:14 PM

A 20 story building would not have fit on the small sliver of the block that the Apple Store occupies unless you somehow combined the existing 20 story building that's there with it.

urbanlife Aug 30, 2015 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 7147776)
A 20 story building would not have fit on the small sliver of the block that the Apple Store occupies unless you somehow combined the existing 20 story building that's there with it.

True, that was a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but a 4-5 story building would have fit there just fine. The Apple store would have generated as much activity no matter where it was downtown. When it was in the basement, it was still an active store.

Derek Aug 30, 2015 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanlife (Post 7147795)
True, that was a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but a 4-5 story building would have fit there just fine. The Apple store would have generated as much activity no matter where it was downtown. When it was in the basement, it was still an active store.

I see what you're saying now. We should be grateful it isn't in that basement any more though. All of the foot traffic it generated is now being funneled onto the streets instead of underground. I wish more stores would vacate the basement for street locations (I'm looking at you Victoria's Secret). Any ways, we should make a Pioneer Place hatred thread! :P

Back to the Rose Quarter!