SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive] (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=335)
-   -   Will There Be an Olympic Hockey Riot? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178826)

whatnext Feb 20, 2010 9:25 PM

Will There Be an Olympic Hockey Riot?

The more images I see of masses of twenty-something guys crowded into downtown, many obviously fueled by alcohol, the more I can see it happening. Whether Team Canada wins or loses. I hope there are some good plans in place to deal with it.

Yume-sama Feb 20, 2010 9:28 PM

Vancouver loves a good riot. However, I think the police presence is A LOT higher than 1994, which should squash things pretty fast.

ozonemania Feb 20, 2010 9:34 PM

I'm a bit scared of this too. Emotions will be hyper no matter the outcome. Be sure the media will be ready for this, and catch every dirty detail.

We need a PSA from Wayne Gretzky or something... address the nation.

SpongeG Feb 20, 2010 9:41 PM

i don't think so

if you go out people are not mad or angry they are happy

its a completely different vibe than anything i have felt on a typical crowded downtown night

its nothing like the vibe you get when the fireworks are on

Yume-sama Feb 20, 2010 9:44 PM

:P Well, if Canada loses in the Gold Medal game like the Canucks did against the Rangers...

Happy mood probably be gone :(

SpongeG Feb 20, 2010 9:48 PM

i doubt it - people are not that hockey obsessed

the police force is more extreme too - on thursday at robson and granville the police must have ben over 20 on that one section - telling people to keep moving no stopping allowed

Yume-sama Feb 20, 2010 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4709676)
i doubt it - people are not that hockey obsessed

:haha: What? I'm pretty sure that's the ONLY thing that matters to probably around 80% of people.

People can pretend to care all they want about the other sports, and results, but when it comes down to it...

EVERY single game of the tournament, both Womens and Mens, no matter who has been playing, has been sold out. Right now Norway and Switzerland are playing in a sold out GM Place.

Ratings have been high across Canada for every game. It will be crazy no matter the outcome :P But scary if Canada loses in the gold ;)

cabotp Feb 20, 2010 10:00 PM

There is way to much of a police presence. Besides I'm pretty sure that a lot of those people you see having fun on the street are undercover cops. So what you actually see in terms of police officers is only just touching the surface.

Also there are entire swat teams and snipers ready to be deployed at a moments notice. You may not see them, but they are available.

Yume-sama Feb 20, 2010 10:06 PM

:D I saw snipers on the rooftops around the Opening Ceremony. It made me nervous.

I wanted to take a picture, but, I didn't want to aim a long pointy object at a sniper.

SpongeG Feb 20, 2010 10:15 PM

u have a long pointy object? oh wait this isn't SSC ;)

Prometheus Feb 20, 2010 10:36 PM

I have been secretly worried about this for a while now. I see a perfect storm of factors that make a riot very possible:

1) People are getting so amped-up about hockey, and the pressure on Team Canada to win the gold is building and building. The disappointment of a loss (or over-exuberance of a win) could push emotions over the top.

2) I have heard reports that the massive crowds out there are not always so family-friendly and benevolent, but at times somewhat rowdy, and alcohol and testosterone-influenced.

3) The probability that anti-olympics militants are planning to exploit these perfect conditions for violence.

4) Vancouver history.

I just hope that the authorities are not relying on the general good will and benevolence of the people, but are consciously developing specialized, well-thought out plans to stifle any potential flashpoints for a riot. Just having extra security on the street is not enough. (Having enough forces to crush a riot cannot be considered a success. If a riot gets going even for a brief moment, then the Vancouver Games will be remembered as a horrible failure, regardless of every good thing that occured.) They have to have special, counter-riot plans in place sufficient to stifle any possible flashpoints, thus stopping even the beginnings of a riot.

I think the key is to have an over-abundant number of specialized, undercover units moving among the crowds ready to pounce on any troublemakers. This must also be supplemented by ubiquitous surveillance which can pinpoint any developing trouble anywhere in the city and communicate the locations to forces on the ground.

ozonemania Feb 20, 2010 10:48 PM

The place most likely to riot... the Granville/Robson strip has become a Live Site of its own. How do security measures differ between a bona fide Live Site and this one? (this is a bit of a rhetoical question)

agrant Feb 20, 2010 11:30 PM

Depends on the situation, and how the game/s play out. I'll go out on a limb and say at least one guy will riot.

SpongeG Feb 21, 2010 12:04 AM

they are putting more officers down there tonight

last night they had unprecedented numbers of people and they are expecting the same tonight

they were reports of stabbings last night too

GeeCee Feb 21, 2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabotp (Post 4709700)
There is way to much of a police presence. Besides I'm pretty sure that a lot of those people you see having fun on the street are undercover cops. So what you actually see in terms of police officers is only just touching the surface.

Also there are entire swat teams and snipers ready to be deployed at a moments notice. You may not see them, but they are available.

Given last weekend's foolishness, a large police presence is justified.

Locked In Feb 21, 2010 1:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4709880)
they are putting more officers down there tonight

last night they had unprecedented numbers of people and they are expecting the same tonight

they were reports of stabbings last night too

There were reports of stabbings? Where? The Vancouver police spokesperson said there were no major incidents - I'm pretty sure a stabbing would count as a major incident.

bils Feb 21, 2010 1:54 AM

ctv mentioned several stabbings downtown during their afternoon news broadcast, but did not elaborate on details.

SpongeG Feb 21, 2010 2:00 AM

that is where i heard it on CTV

watching global news now

Locked In Feb 21, 2010 2:00 AM

^ Wierd. Well, google doesn't seem to know about it yet. I have a feeling the media would have been all over this if there had been multiple stabbings in the same night in an olympic party zone. That's unfortunate if true.

SpongeG Feb 21, 2010 2:03 AM

they showed some footage of a guy being taken down by police and police poruign out beer etc