SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Tempe Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96153)

oliveurban Nov 22, 2006 8:30 AM

^ Cline is shady. This whole project has become a joke, and an eyesore. Hope that changes soon.

Sekkle Nov 22, 2006 3:35 PM

I heard something on the radio this morning about a proposed 11-story "high-rise" Marriott hotel in downtown Tempe. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it here yet. It would be built where Bandersnatch used to be located (5th St. & Forest) and would include a "much needed" parking garage. I don't think it has been approved by the City as yet.

sundevilgrad Nov 22, 2006 3:55 PM

Couldn't find anything on it with a couple of quick google searches. Did the radio release it's source?

... If true, that would be great. DT Tempe needs more hotel rooms, that's for sure. The 5th and Forest location would be a nice bridge between Mill and the proprosed University Square and Armory developments. You've gotta love Tempe's pro-active, aggressive approach to changing the dynamics of the city. At the rate they're going, Tempe is going to have a great skyline in the next 5 years!

Sekkle Nov 22, 2006 4:06 PM

^ I didn't hear anything about a source... Maybe they said it and I missed it. It was on KJZZ/NPR. They're usually pretty reliable I think. They have a quick local news summary every hour or half hour or something. You might be able to catch it this morning. I didn't find anything about it on their website, but they might have an audio file of the local news for download there, too.

I think the 5th & Forest location would be great, also, because it will be close to a light rail stop. Visitors could take the train from the airport to their hotel pretty easily. TOD!!

sundevilgrad Nov 22, 2006 4:40 PM

Thanks 480, i'll make sure to turn on NPR today.

vertex Nov 23, 2006 12:57 AM

Here you go...

Developer proposes 11-story hotel at Tempe site

By Garin Groff, Tribune
November 22, 2006
A developer plans to raze the former Bandersnatch Pub, replacing the once thriving Tempe college hangout with an 11-story hotel that caters to business travelers.
Related Links
News
Tempe
The Marriott Residence Inn is the second specifi c hotel plan to emerge this year in downtown Tempe, where a building boom is rapidly transforming the college town into a more sophisticated urban hub.

Though the project would destroy the microbrewery that closed three years ago, it would add one welcome amenity — parking. Preliminary plans call for a garage with about 300 spaces. The developer, Floridabased Finvarb Group, has developed four other Marriotts and secured financing, said Chris Salomone, Tempe’s community development manager.

“They want to get into the market as quickly as they can,” he said.

As many as 11 hotel operators have looked at downtown Tempe for possible locations — far more than the area can sup- port. But city officials say that kind of interest shows how the booming downtown needs more hotel rooms, especially for business travelers on extended stays. This would be downtown’s first hotel to serve that niche.

Tempe needs more hotels because rooms can quickly sell out during events, said Michael Martin, executive vice president of the Tempe Convention and Visitors Bureau. This hotel could handle overflow from the Tempe Mission Palms, which is almost directly across Fifth Street. Too many visitors have had to stay outside downtown or in other cities because rooms have sold out, Martin said.

“I think it’s a missed opportunity,” Martin said. “I wouldn’t say it’s slowed our growth.”

He expects more hotels will land in Tempe, citing a study that found the city has 5,000 rooms now but could support another 1,500.

The other downtown hotel approved this year is Le Meridien, a 14-story, fivestar hotel on the south side of Tempe Town Lake. Downtown’s largest hotel, Tempe Mission Palms, has long been considering expanding its 300-room property. Tempe also has approved a 300-foot tall project called University Square that includes condos, offices and a hotel, but the developer hasn’t announced specifics on that hotel.

Tempe hasn’t approved the Marriott proposal yet but the city hasn’t found any major problems in the preliminary plans. The proposal includes some retail and restaurant space and about 12,000 square feet of meeting rooms. Another perk is the parking garage, which would sit between the hotel and the Tempe Municipal Center, otherwise known as the upside down pyramid.

The hotel would tower over the three-story pyramid, but it would hardly be the tallest new structure. The city has approved several taller buildings, including a 30-story condo that’s more than 300 feet tall, though it’s limiting other buildings to 300 feet.

A Finvarb representative said he didn’t want to discuss the project until more details are finalized.

loftlovr Nov 24, 2006 7:56 AM

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ind...dest=STY-79395

vertex beat me woops

loftlovr Nov 24, 2006 7:59 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/s...tml?from_rss=1

Luxury lakeside apartments take creative approach to marketing
The Business Journal of Phoenix - 2:30 PM MST Tuesdayby Christia GibbonsThe Business Journal

Gray Development Group has hired Sugar Creative to market Grigio, a $125 million luxury rental complex on the north shore of Tempe Town Lake.

The challenge, officials with both companies agree, will be marketing a concept versus a product. Grigio sounds more like a five-star resort than a rental property.

Renters will have a choice of 48 floor plans from studios to units with lakeside views. Monthly rent will range from $900 to $5,000 for apartments from 600 square feet to 3,000 square feet in size.

Tenants will have access to delivered dining, in-home spa treatments, a two-level 24-hour health club, poolside cafe and coffee service, a boutique and wine shop, and a rooftop deck.

Dolores McKay, brand manager for Gray, said it's tricky promoting a lifestyle.

"We wanted to offer a one-of-a kind, useful living alternative in a market saturated with condos," McKay said.

Gray Development, McKay said, took nine months to test what renters wanted, figuring out what's best about resort living, best about condominium living and alternatively, the limitations that come with those options.

The company picked Tempe Town Lake, "because Tempe is so forward looking," she said.

To sell what McKay describes in such terms as "new product," "new brand," "lifestyle" and "vibrant," Sugar Creative will have to tell, not yell the message, said Peter Juergens, managing director of the Phoenix-based marketing and Web firm.

"We want to tell a story," Juergens said, noting that his company is working on delivering the message by focusing on the "experiential."

From interactive marketing to signage, it is about building trust with consumers and eventually the people who live at Grigio "will become the brand, tout the brand and become the voice of experience," he said.

Branding strategy development will culminate in the next two weeks, and by early next month, Juergens said, "you'll be seeing lots and lots out there."

Grigio is under construction and set to open during the first quarter of next year.

loftlovr Nov 24, 2006 9:25 AM

And for my grand finally Tempe post of the evening:

http://www.tempe.gov/clerk/history_0...17clrkck02.pdf

Read it through!

I also found Freight renderings-
posted them on my site-
http://www.phxloftnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=786

wish there were renderings for all projects!

combusean Nov 24, 2006 11:18 AM

Freight sucks. The individual units themselves don't look too bad, but that glassy bridge thing is an abomination--that broken glass look will date terribly. Moreover, using the 20% affordable requirement to come up with a few "obtainable" units at $400,000 is utterly ridiculous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by briefing
Mayor Hallman asked about activation of the railroad site.

Mr. Betts responded that the railroad site is activated primarily by the parking and landscaping on the back.

Uhh... Mediocre front, butt-ugly back. I'm starting to think Bruder has lost his touch.

Barton's Harden Yards is probably too big. Avenue's Boardwalk proposal seems from another world--this is a site that would do well to feature an Ace Hardware, not more friggen boutiques, and "Art/Sports/Design Walk" just sounds lame. At 8 units an acre, ECO is way too small.

Farmer Arts District is probably the best. They seem to feature the best of all of them, such as trails, and breaking the site up. They seem to be the most likely candidate, as its their name that's been circulating Tempe, according to the State Press and the Development Update.

And from the peanut gallery...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimby
The downtown will only be a skyline of buildings if you don’t watch out.

Uh huh. :yuck:

loftlovr Nov 24, 2006 8:05 PM

I guess you look at a project from a City planning standpoint (the correct standpoint) and I look at it from a buyers frame of mind.
I thought that lot was some-what challenging because of it's proximity to the train tracks. Will Bruder found a way to design an industrial building that looked like a Modern train station. I thought that was cool as hell!

I'm not sure that middle feature is broken glass. Did it say so in the notes?
I think Bruder would use a meshy see-through steel... and it looked to me like a garden-area inside?

I know this sounds harsh and insensitive but I'm not very concerned with the affordability issue. I like cooler projects and I kind of think of it as survival of the fittest.
I don't hate the Kierland Lofts because I could never afford one...

Anyways- always nice to get your opinion Sean!
Others?
DJA?

Skyline Phoenix Nov 24, 2006 11:02 PM

they have a vdeo of what will Freight will look like on the
http://kitchensinkstudios.com
also have some intresting renderings of City North, Fiesta towers, and even Sumitt at Copper Square including a lengthy video all good quality

BA744PHX Nov 25, 2006 12:49 AM

Great link Skyline Phoenix!!! I liked the presention for CityNorth. To bad their isnt enough space downtown for that project. Also Freight looks interesting, its better to have something there then empty lots

HX_Guy Nov 28, 2006 11:38 PM

Onyx Tower hopes to rise even higher in Tempe
The Business Journal of Phoenix - 3:13 PM MST Tuesday
by Christia Gibbons

WestStone Communities plans to ask the city of Tempe to extend the height of its 23-story Onyx Tower on Tempe Town Lake.

"We decided to add the three additional stories to Onyx Tower to take advantage of the spectacular views of the lake and the skyline," said Brian Regehr, president of WestStone Communities. "We also wanted to offer buyers more square footage in the top floors. This luxury residential tower will be like no other in the state."

The company will go before the Tempe City Council next week. The additional height would make Onyx Tower the tallest building on the lake.

Chris Salomone, Tempe's community development manager, said there the new height is well within FAA guidelines.

"It'll be fine. (The request) is just market driven and we welcome it," Salomone said. While it would be the tallest building on the lake, a 30-story project is under way in downtown Tempe.

Onyx Tower will have 196 lakefront residences priced from $300,000 to more than $1 million. Sales and construction are expected to begin early next year. Completion is targeted for summer 2009.

Located along Playa Del Norte near Scottsdale Road and Loop 202, the tower will have a sky lounge on the 15th and 16th floors with a full bar, plasma televisions and a balcony overlooking the lake. Residents also will be privy to a negative-edge pool, rooftop lap pool, 10-seat movie theater, his and her steam rooms and a lakeside fire pit.

The project is adjacent to the developer's nearly sold-out Northshore community.

WestStone originally developed projects in Canada, expanding to the United States in 2001, choosing Scottsdale for its headquarters and the Phoenix area for its growing population and emerging cultural diversity.

Three WestStone Arizona projects -- Villa Milano, 1702 E. Bell Road, Mission Gate, 1718 W. Colter St., and Kensington Place, 18250 N. Cave Creek Road -- are sold out. Current projects include: Parkside in Phoenix, and Vantage in Ahwatukee.

JimInCal Nov 29, 2006 4:30 AM

Onyx

HX GUY, that's some good news. I can't wait to see some renderings of this one. It's supposed to be black...not a good color for the Arizona sun, but it should be an interesting site along the northern side of the lake. :tup:

vertex Nov 29, 2006 5:48 AM

Black.... Genius.

I have a feeling that there are going to be some pretty stupid-sized electric bills for these condos.

JimInCal Nov 29, 2006 6:51 AM

Here is a flyer designed for Onyx. Its the only promotional piece I've found on it. The developers are being very mysterious with the design. I suppose they want to make a big splash on the lake with a big unvailing...pun intended. :cool:

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3108/onyxnu3.png

vertex Nov 29, 2006 6:57 AM

:previous: I noticed that they had to sneak in the "Adjacent to Scottsdale" line. It's pretty clear to me that most of these developers are trying to sell the north side of town lake as the 'other' scottsdale waterfront.

sundevilgrad Nov 29, 2006 3:24 PM

A little redundant, but the Republic article has a few more details... 26 instead of 23 stories...

Lake condo builder aims high

Katie Nelson
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 29, 2006 12:00 AM

A Valley condo builder is attempting to build what would be the highest tower on the shores of Tempe Town Lake.

The project originally was pitched to city planners at 23 stories, but Tuesday, WestStone Communities announced it will ask permission to build 26 stories, or 271 feet.

Onyx Tower, as the proposed condo is being called, would sit on the northern side of Town Lake, just off Rural Road. The property is near the flight path that leads planes along the Salt River when going to or from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Officials from Tempe and the building's developer say it won't conflict with the routes of the aircraft. advertisement

"Around the lake, our policy has been to allow people to build to whatever the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) guidelines will allow," said Chris Salomone, Tempe's community development manager.

FAA guidelines dictated in the past that the area Onyx is slated to go in can have buildings up to 400 feet, Salomone said. And as with all Tempe buildings, the Onyx Tower developers will be required to get FAA approval before getting building permits from the city, he said.

The Tempe City Council has set official height guidelines for the city's downtown, but no such numbers exist for land around the lake. The council's guidelines allow high-rises up to 300 feet within the city's core and were last approved in April. The council is scheduled to revisit the policy Feb. 1.

Onyx Tower would hold 196 units ranging from $300,000 to more than $1 million, according to WestStone. The building would feature extras, such as an entertainment venue on two middle floors, pools, a 10-seat movie theater and a lakefront fire pit.

"We want to capitalize on the views all around and that there's so much infrastructure," said Greg Loper, the developer's director of development, of the added height.

WestStone has another project on Tempe Town Lake, the five-story Northshore, which sits on property adjacent to the Onyx Tower site. That is the company's highest building to date. Success selling units at Northshore - only four of the 134 units remain - prompted the developer's interest in increasing Onyx Tower's height, Loper said.

It's an interest Tempe's leaders are happy about.

"It's always good to see people going bigger rather than smaller," Salomone said. "It shows there is a sense in Tempe the market will sustain itself; that it's not the conventional market because of the downtown, light rail, the lake and the university. No one is slowing down."

WestStone Communities has been building residential housing for the last 15 years. The company started in Canada and expanded to the Valley in 2001. Its headquarters are in Scottsdale.

The company said it would like to start building the Onyx Tower in early 2007 and finish it by summer 2009.

sundevilgrad Nov 30, 2006 3:48 PM

Alright, I said in the Phoenix Development thread that I didn't want to jump on the newspaper clipping bandwagon, and then proceded to post a newspaper clipping. Then I came to an interesting Tempe article in the Republic and decided that it should be in the Tempe thread. Upon seeing the last post in the Tempe thread, which is a Republic article posted by none other than Sundevilgrad, I realized that I am the Driver of the newspaper clipping bandwagon, lol. Anyway, here it is...

Proposals for Town Lake project, Marriott keep Tempe planners busy

Katie Nelson
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 30, 2006 12:00 AM

Work on a multimillion-dollar hotel, condo and retail project proposed for Tempe Town Lake could start as soon as next year. The city reviewed the first set of plans for the project last week.

If and when the building begins, it would be a big step for Tempe. The project would become a physical reality. A previous project slated for that site fell through in 2001.

Plans for the Pier 202 project are taking shape, said Michael Barker, one of the lead developers. The amount of office space has doubled from the original plan, and new drawings call for slightly more residential housing. A hotelier is still being identified. advertisement

The style hasn't changed. Tempe can still anticipate tony lofts, four-star hotel rooms, shops and restaurants on the shores of the lake.

"It's good progress," Barker said.

"It's an interactive process of looking at their (the city's) planning requirements. . . . All these things will have to be reviewed by the various parties, and we'll go and make adjustments," he said.

When the 27 acres near Rural Road and Rio Salado Parkway went up for sale in April 2005, 10 groups of developers started bidding for rights. Tempe received offers from $9 million to $42 million.

In January, the City Council voted to exclusively negotiate with Pier 202 LLC, a group of home builders, retail developers and consultants based in California. Soon after, Barker's team agreed to pay $42.5 million for the land.

Tempe's planners are in the process of analyzing Pier 202's 15-page packet, which lays out where utilities, soil, grading and other engineering will be. Development Services manager Chris Anaradian oversees this process. He said he anticipates the project could start on grading, drainage and underground parking in 2007.

In other development news, preliminary plans for a Marriott hotel were submitted to Tempe on Nov. 17.

An 11-story Marriott Residence Inn could go in at Fifth Street and Forest Avenue, the site of the now-vacant Bandersnatch brew pub.

The project calls for a parking garage to be built between the hotel and Tempe City Hall to provide parking places for both buildings. The hotel would have about 170 rooms, paired with some retail and office space on the ground level.

If it goes through, the Marriott would be the second solid hotel announcement in a year for downtown Tempe amid many other plans for hotels.

The first was a luxury hotel called Le Meridien that is going to be built on Town Lake in the Hayden Ferry Lakeside development. It is expected to open by Thanksgiving 2008.